Map Discussion Thread

And no one is saying that any "map of Unibots" is going to be "foisted" onto anyone.

The scale isn't changing. Claims will be updated.

Whoa, Nierr, no need for the biting sarcasm in your latest post on the Claims thread. It takes more work than just blindly writing words to claim a part of the map.

My reply was moderate considering the tone of the post proceeding it.

Not really. He was complaining in general how he was rather annoyed that his claim wasn't on the map. You complained directly at him at length, heaping with sarcasm. That does not weigh favorably. Your tone was way out of line, in my opinion. Plus, as a member of the cartography team, we'd expect at least some professionalism, even if you aren't a professional. If you can't handle slight complaints against your team, it doesn't bode well for the entire cartography team. If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all, or, say the absolute minimum, which, in this case, would be either "Your claim is under review" or nothing at all.

You don't get to dictate how I conduct myself in discourse with people who came in with a tone that was unbecoming of someone who wanted to be on the map.

Now, if you have anything about the map to discuss, then feel free to keep posting. Otherwise, I think you would find tilting at windmills a better use of your time.

Syrixia:
No offense Nierr but I feel like you're avoiding me...why?
Because there are still concerns within the team over your application, and how well you would be able to contribute. You edit using only paint, or a form thereof, and thus have no way to create or share or use a layered image, which is how we edit the map, only exporting to png format later.

Your application remains under discussion.

Nierr:
Syrixia:
Because there are still concerns within the team over your application, and how well you would be able to contribute. You edit using only paint, or a form thereof, and thus have no way to create or share or use a layered image, which is how we edit the map, only exporting to png format later.

Alright; and I have figured out how to get it to be a png, by simply uploading it to the vstanced.com image hosting service. Also concerning edits, I've been able to pull off those very well, and I also do edits very quickly and promptly upload them while retaining the aforementioned conciseness on the claims I am editing. (I do map updates usually in 10-30 minutes total)

Thanks for the update, though. It's been a while so I was concerned.

Syrixia:
Nierr:
Syrixia:

Alright; and I have figured out how to get it to be a png, by simply uploading it to the vstanced.com image hosting service. Also concerning edits, I've been able to pull off those very well, and I also do edits very quickly and promptly upload them while retaining the aforementioned conciseness on the claims I am editing. (I do map updates usually in 10-30 minutes total)

Thanks for the update, though. It's been a while so I was concerned.
Your ignoring the fact that you can not in anyway update the layered xcf files. So anything you did the other members of the cartography staff would have to do a second time just to update the xcf file.

Just saw the new update. I think you misspelled Zemnaya Svoboda, as well as Canterbury. Otherwise AWESHUM!!!

@LordLore, just one quick thing about the latest map update...
On Aurora Orb's claim, just to south of it there is text that reads 'To Lancerian'. It might just be me but I find that incredibly difficult to read when browsing the map and seeing where all the nations are. I realize the text is attached to a very small claim but would it be possible to make the text slightly bigger and easier to read? Just some constructive feedback to help keep the map text readable.

Other than that, everything looks good...

Kalti:
On Aurora Orb's claim, just to south of it there is text that reads 'To Lancerian'. It might just be me but I find that incredibly difficult to read when browsing the map and seeing where all the nations are. I realize the text is attached to a very small claim but would it be possible to make the text slightly bigger and easier to read?
Other than that, everything looks good...
I wouldn't mind that either, but it's definitely not a huge problem.

I don't understand the reasoning behind rejecting Alunya's map claim as that has been the shape, size and location of their nation on past versions of the map.

we must treat map in higher regard. no huge landmass edits to allowed. all hail cartography team. hail hail

Anyways, The NPTO HQ is WAY too big! It's like the UN HQ in New York. ONE BUILDING and a small surrounding area. Sweet lord, it needs MAJOR DOWNSIZING! Heck, THE DEMOCRATIC UNION'S HQ is smaller than it on the map you've made, LL! An island even that small would make the NPTO HQ's true size be like a literal needle in a haystack!

Syrixia. I get that there are new rules but the vast majority of us have the same claim (or similar) to what we had on the previous map. To me it is just off putting that the cartographers would let us have our old claims but then say Alunya can't because it changes the continent borders too much (despite being accommodated on maps of the past).

Syrixia:
we must treat map in higher regard. no huge landmass edits to allowed. all hail cartography team. hail hail

Anyways, The NPTO HQ is WAY too big! It's like the UN HQ in New York. ONE BUILDING and a small surrounding area. Sweet lord, it needs MAJOR DOWNSIZING! Heck, THE DEMOCRATIC UNION'S HQ is smaller than it on the map you've made, LL! An island even that small would make the NPTO HQ's true size be like a literal needle in a haystack!
1.) Alunya wants us to drastically change the border of an existing landmap just so she can shap it like a cat. If she HAS to have the cat shape she can choose somewhere else.

2.) I only did what Bootsie asked.

3.) The UN is NOT just one building. It is dozens of Project HQs in dozens of countries coupled with hundreds/thousands of branch locations all across the world. (IMF's HQ is in D.C., FAO's HQ is in Rome, ICAO's HQ is in Montreal, IMO's HQ is in London, UPU's HQ is in Bern)

I see nothing wrong with a country shaped like a cat. Not via natural geographic borders, naturally, but through specific annexation of territory. Similar idea to why my nation is shaped how it is.

Your nation is very small.

It is not a massive squiggle in the middle of the map.

PaulWallLibertarian42:
Let me guess..yours is shaped like a silly string? :P
Correct, and terraformed for it.

Nierr:
Your nation is very small.

It is not a massive squiggle in the middle of the map.
That isn't really relevant. Mine was creates through terraformig and technological innovation, while Alunyas was created by a cat-worshipping people through conquest. Unless alunya is claiming that their shape just *happens* to be a cat through geographical happenstance, which I'm pretty sure they aren't, there's no strong reason to consider it an impossible or unacceptable shape.

It absolutely is relevant, as it looks bizarre on the map.

Back when Alunya's claim was on the map, the number one question I got asked about it was 'why is there a cat on your map?'.

Nierr:
It absolutely is relevant, as it looks bizarre on the map.

Back when Alunya's claim was on the map, the number one question I got asked about it was 'why is there a cat on your map?'.
And the number one answer is 'why isn't there a cat on your map?'
I think Alunya is an integral part of our community, and that should be reflected in the map.

Lord Lore:
1.) Alunya wants us to drastically change the border of an existing landmap just so she can shap it like a cat. If she HAS to have the cat shape she can choose somewhere else.
Asta, Syrixia and etc. I bring you back to the above. ^. I have no problem with adding a cat. BUT I will not drastically shift the borders of an existing landmass to do so.

Actually, LL, perhaps I didn't make it clear enough. I am with you on this issue. Perhaps there could be a claim inland that looks like a sleeping cat. We could work it out without landmass alteration.

Kalti:
Nierr:
Lord Lore:
I have no problem with adding a cat.
I do.
And what exactly is the problem with a cat on a map? This is a fantasy map and game... It's not totally out of the realm of possibility...
Because it's a terrible precedent to set. We don't allow people to have claims shaped like real life countries or anything like that, we spent the better part of two months getting your own claim right, and the map is finally in a shape where serious roleplayers from outside of gameplay are coming here to get on it (see: Kostemetsia, The Grim Reaper) and I'm going to ruin that by putting a claim in that means any time I'd show it to rpers in my attempts to get them to join TNP they'd laugh at me and us.

There's nothing laughable about it. A nation of cat-worshippers sat down and planned a carefully executed military strategy so that their homeland ended up looking like the creature they so revere. It might be an unusual basis for a national RP, but it's plausible and reasonable and easily explained.

"You should make the NPTO HQ on the bit of land in the middle of alunya (between the leg and tail)" -True Sebland

Hwhaaaa? It's supposed to be IN GUSLANTIS!

Back