RolePlay Moderator
-
Deputy Speaker
-
-
-
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Any constructive comments or questions about the map should go here, as well as suggestions for what you want from the map.

Moving the convo here.

Kalti said:

@Syrixia, re-claim your area with the new map (as asked by both Nierr and Lord Lore).

I said:

I can't do that...I tried. Redrawing the islands perfectly would be near impossible.

Wait, I could try doing the mainland; if I did maybe NIERR could draw in the islands!

Anyone? Would that work?

I agree with Lord Lore here, Nierr's already done so much and asking Nierr to draw a bunch of small, precise islands isn't exactly doing him a favour.

Do you have any base image for the islands (from the old map or map claims thread) in how the islands were made/drawn the first time around?

Syrixia, you and I both have a similar problem. A lot of our nation is based on islands. You have it slightly easier as you have a portion on the mainland. For me though, every single island that constitutes Kalti is based on a real world location that was then edited and moved around to create what my national map looks like today. I can compromise to a degree on some of the islands not being shown but the main ten islands cannot be changed without me re-writing my entire Factbook history and map sections. That and getting rid of one of those ten islands would invalidate a few of the role-play scenarios I just did.

Yes, but I have a tool that can get me accepted: my mainland area. Hopefully they can accept that and then draw in the other islands. (Although hopefully more accurate than last time, though he has more tools than I and I trust he can do it.)

And if anyone thinks that Nierr cannot do that, I present you all with these:
Nierr:
Syrixia your islands are fine, no problem with them. It'll just be a case of redrawing them using the colour palette I'm using for the map.
And this:
http://i.imgur.com/iDHMbCe.png

Syrixia reading your factbook its all over the place. It hinders your claim if anything. No nation would decide a hole full of lava would be the perfect landmark next to a national capital. And your islands have no connection to each other, the terrain is all over the place and not consistent with what you see in island chains.

And my main problem with your islands Kalti is the vast amount of them (when you add in all the tinny ones) plus the eastern one. It needs atleast to be changed so that it looks like it belongs, as it stands it looks like it has been teleported from an entirely other part of the map.

First of all, it's in the center of the island. The capital is on the coast. The PROVINCIAL CAPITAL is near it, but even then it's around a 15 minute drive.

Regarding the terrain, I'll edit it.

Once that's done, then what would you think?

Mainly Syrixia I think you need to cut down to about 8-10 islands and change their organization and bring them closer to the main landmass cuz as of right now I see absolutely no way that those islands could be formed.

Read the history. It tells how the islands were formed. There was originally a subcontinent and then it sank due to magma movements and fissures and stuff; and the people fled to the mountains which became the islands. Over time the peaks eroded and the islands became true islands.

As for the terrain I've made it more consistent.

And if you're concerned about Nierr drawing it, he has previously done so.

Syrixia:
Read the history. It tells how the islands were formed. There was originally a subcontinent and then it sank due to magma movements and fissures and stuff; and the people fled to the mountains which became the islands. Over time the peaks eroded and the islands became true islands.

As for the terrain I've made it more consistent.

And if you're concerned about Nierr drawing it, he has previously done so.
Yeah no.... that is not how super volcanos work.

I can't! That'll invalidate a lot of RPs and screw my nation up so bad I may as well CTE!

Syrixia:
I can't! That'll invalidate a lot of RPs and screw my nation up so bad I may as well CTE!
List the islands and put the name of an RP that islands been involved in beside it.

You know what? I give up! This is too complicated! SCREW THE ISLANDS! I'll do something else...

EDIT: Apologize for the rage. I got dis.

@Nierr ... @LordLore:

How would this work as a national map? My entire nation is built around being a series of islands and archipelagos so it is kind of hard to get rid of more.
pjTNtGl.png

Lord Lore:
Kalti, good so far. But mainly I would love to see the design of the large east island to be brought in line with the rest of the islands.
Which part? Just how dark it's outline is? Or something else?

Lord Lore:
How jagged and new the island looks. It looks like it just broke off of somewhere else while all the others are smooth like older islands.
Ah... See, that is mainly a leftover problem from a very early iteration of my map. I have yet to find an island that it suitable for what I'd want.

You may need to remove Finland. Everyone knows what Finland is. An island shaped exactly like Finland is....weird.

FIIIIIIINNNNNLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAANNNNNNDDDDDDDD

Going with what Cronaal and LL have said in the past, I think it would do if you toned down the islands. Why not just Elham, Olira, Akkar, Acquaviva, and Serravalle?

Syrixia the main reason we asked you to tone down the islands is becuase your main territory is not the islands it was on the eastern landmass. Its unfair to claim a large chunk of continental land and then claim over a dozen islands. Plus you were DEMANDING them, inflexable with any change and were going to make US do all the work to draw them.

While in comparison the entirety of Kalti territory is islands, they are keeping a level head, open to compromise and helping getting something easy to convert in order.

The Finland island is a place holder at the moment... There will be an island there in that shape and size but I haven't decided which yet.

Syrixia:
Going with what Cronaal and LL have said in the past, I think it would do if you toned down the islands. Why not just Elham, Olira, Akkar, Acquaviva, and Serravalle?
Because Serravalle, Acquaviva, Akkar, Elham and Olira are archipelago's and made up of a few islands. You can blame me re-writing the history of my nation for that one. Originally I had each be its own individual island but I've changed my mind and now each is a group of islands that are controlled either by the Castelli (state) or the Estate (government).

Anyways, here is the revised non-Finland version of my map:
iqYsm3N.png

That color scheme makes my eyes hurt...

Anyways, I'll look it over but the thing about the particular layout of the islands is due to which archipelago they belong to. You can see all the archipelago's separate here on this dispatch: http://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=351918

But I will look it over and see if I can move around some of the islands to the point that they still make sense based on your feedback.

Sorry I was just bringing it into "map style" and that was a placeholder colour. But the only thing I really changed when it comes to Archipeligo is I moved a few islands from Acquaviva to Serravalle.

http://puu.sh/fNE7b.png - Here is the same image scaled down to 450x396. Which still gives you a good amount of territory. 64,995 pixel or 259,980 Km2. Which makes you roughly the same size as New Zealand.

If I were you, Kalti, I'd go with that.

In other words, I've reworked my whole factbook and my history to boot. I've now settled into my new claim and thus my former claim is now free for anyone to claim.

Based on the changes you made, here is a revised version that I did. Flipped around the bottom most island, brought some closer to the middle and then the grouping of islands on the left hand side I spread out across the bottom of Acquaviva Island. What do you think?
O1CjFZo.png

Syrixia:
If I were you, Kalti, I'd go with that.

In other words, I've reworked my whole factbook and my history to boot. I've now settled into my new claim and thus my former claim is now free for anyone to claim.

I could but I'm going on a back and forth compromise of what the cartographer's are comfortable with versus what makes sense in terms of how my nation is.

Would I be able to have the custom island I have had on the last two maps? It is the only land I have ever claimed and it is how I have based locations in my RPs.

If I can have my island I would like it in the same general area where it was in the last map, if at all possible. I can provide an image if necessary. If you need another reference for what it looks like, it is the real world nation of Moldova.

Thank you cartographers for your work!

What I'm not keen on is the island that is sitting in the middle of the bay of the southernmost island. Also, I noticed you tend to not like that many small islands (don't blame you) so I cut down on them in this version... very close to what you yourself have drawn and proposed but there are a few minor alterations such as make everything more centered and close together.
MdTPzKj.png

Size wise, what you are proposing is fine.

Back