The Speaker's Desk

Crushing Our Enemies:
I'm disappointed that we haven't seen a weekly digest since May. Perhaps this could make a comeback?
I think this is a good idea! I'll make one and send to RA nations as soon as possible, and I'll make sure that this runs weekly as well.

A question for the Speaker's office.

Is The Church of Satan a member of the Regional Assembly?

According to messages from the Speaker's office, they were conditionally readmitted October 19th, checked October 20th (see here). They were remasked Oct 21 2014.

The Speaker's office has not announced removing them in any venue that I can find.

In the Regional Assembly membership list, however, they are listed under Non-RA Citizens.

Please advise.

Oops. Purely an observational error on my end. I'll get to adding Church of Satan on the RA rolls.

I note my resignation as Deputy Speaker.

I would like to thank a number of people, briefly: COE and SillyString for appointing me as Deputy Speaker (now over a year ago) and showing me the ropes, and providing advice on occasion during my Speakership; Mr Speaker, Paul, Bootsie (though he is no longer active) and SillyString (again) for their time as my Deputies; and Mr Speaker (again also) for allowing me to continue for a time as his Deputy.

I would also like to offer apologies to COE for allowing the RA Weekly Digest to fall off during my Speakership, and wish the best of luck to Mr Speaker and Elegarth.

On behalf of the Speakers Office, and if I may, the entire RA, I would like to thank Zyvetskistaahn for their service to the region, in helping in the maintenance of this pivotal legislative body for more than a year. A year of almost thankless work, be it updating rolls or keeping track of motions, formal debate, votes, and the like, yet never had your dedication to the office faltered during your time in the Speaker's Office.

The mentorship provided to many of those who have had the privilege of working as a Deputy Speaker under Zyvet was invaluable. Without it, I would have never taken the path that I have taken in TNP today.

I need to apologize due to my lack of activity the last 2 weeks, and perhaps a bit over that. I had a busy time at work, but I intend to regain my activity level this coming week, when I stop being so overworked.

Hang in there, boss! I haven't forgot!

Elegarth:
I need to apologize due to my lack of activity the last 2 weeks, and perhaps a bit over that. I had a busy time at work, but I intend to regain my activity level this coming week, when I stop being so overworked.

Hang in there, boss! I haven't forgot!
I'm hoping you haven't! :)

spk-seal.png

I hereby appoint Bootsie to the position of Deputy Speaker. Welcome to the Speaker's Office. You may take your oath.

As I have promised, here is the new Regional Assembly Weekly Digest! Please upvote the dispatch here: http://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=339140

New and Improved: Regional Assembly "Weekly" Digest
Issue 1: 2014-11-30 to 2014-12-10

Speaker of the Regional Assembly: Olvern
Deputy Speaker: Elegarth
Deputy Speaker: Guslantis

Old Business: Please find below a list of proposals that have passed and failed over the course of the last week (or so).

1. Decorations Act: Failed
2. Civil trials act of 2014: Failed
3. Bill of Rights Day: Failed
4. A motion to admit r3naissanc3r/HMS Unicorn into the Security Council: Passed

New Business: Below can be found a list of proposals currently before the assembly.

1. RA Warning Act: Formal Debate
2. Vice Delegate Succession Bill: Formal Debate
3. Citizenship Bill: Under discussion
4. The Discordian Act: Under discussion
5. the ztandardized zpeling or Noah Webzter act: Under dizkuzzion

Other Business: See below for other matters that may concern you as a member of the RA.

1. We extend a warm welcome to our newest Assembly members: Cascadia, Cormac, Tano, Funkadelia, Socius, Estini, 015, and Han Fei Zi!

2. We bid a fond farewell to those who have left us: Ator People, Nasania, Akhil, James, Spartan1175, Corporal Clegg, Separatist Peoples, Spadanera, Miss Ideophilia, Sasten, Sacrajaweo, DeathFell, King Ems, Rother, Albrecht I, dovahmon, joridinsolo, and midtkandal. We're sorry to see them go.

3. Delegate r3naissanc3r/HMS Unicorn has announced the Security Council Week and the WA Development Program.

4. Do check the forum to keep up with updates on the upcoming General Elections in January! Candidates for the various offices, such as Delegate, Vice-Delegate and Speaker, have emerged!

Olvern Presents: Animal Facts

Prarie Dogs recognise each other by kissing!

Guslantis's Word of the Week

Coup d'etat, n. Another term for coup, i.e. A sudden, violent, and illegal seizure of power from a government: 'He was overthrown in an army coup d'etat.'

You are receiving this telegram because you are a member of the Regional Assembly of The North Pacific. Please inform the Speaker or a Deputy Speaker if you wish to stop receiving the Weekly Digest.

Issue 2: 2014-12-11 to 2014-12-17

Old Business: Please find below a list of proposals that have passed and failed over the course of the last week (or so).

-NONE!-

New Business: Below can be found a list of proposals currently before the assembly.

1. RA Warning Act: At Vote
2. Vacancies, Absences, and Succession Bill: At Vote
3. the ztandardized zpeling or Noah Webzter act: Scheduled for Vote
4. Citizenship Bill: Formal Debate
5. The Discordian Act: Under discussion

Other Business: See below for other matters that may concern you as a member of the RA.

1. We extend a warm welcome to our newest Assembly members: Forthinker, Nasania, Leekem, thirtyonem14, Argo4444, Ridh, midtkandal, Richard, Morheim and Little Sealand!

2. We bid a fond farewell to those who have left us: Bentla.

3. A gentle reminder to RA members to regularly vote on legislative votes, or you may be removed from the Regional Assembly for inactivity! Specifically, these members have not voted in the last three legislative votes: Malashaan, Shadowbird712, Supreme Libertas, Helgraf, Windsor and CNU

Chameleons change their colours by sending signals to cells found in several layers of skin under the outermost layer of skin, which is transparent. These cells, called chromatophores, contain sacs with different kinds of pigment at different layers of the skin. They expand and contract depending on changes in mood and temperature, causing the change in colours.
Source: http://www.wired.com/2014/04/how-do-chameleons-change-colors/

Guslantis’s Word of the Week
Secession, n. The action of withdrawing formally from membership of a federation or body, especially a political state: ‘The republics want secession from the union.’

Elegarth’s Recipe of the Week
Coming soon!™

You are receiving this telegram because you are a member of the Regional Assembly of The North Pacific. Please inform the Speaker or a Deputy Speaker if you wish to stop receiving the Weekly Digest.

Issue 3: 2014-12-18 to 2014-12-28

1. RA Warning Act: FAILED
2. Vacancies, Absences, and Succession Bill: PASSED
3. the ztandardized zpeling or Noah Webzter act: FAILED
4. Voting Rights Act: PASSED

1. A Bill to Celebrate the Bill of Rights/Democracy Day Bill: AT VOTE
2. A motion to uphold the rejection of Abstain: AT VOTE
3. Justice for all Act: Under Discussion
4. Regional Assembly Rules Amendment: Under Discussion
5. Bicameral Legislature Bill: Under Discussion

Other Business: See below for other matters that may concern you as a citizen.

1. We extend a warm welcome to our newest citizens: Las Emiliana, Astra, Camarthen, MaximustheGreat, Skkal, Alta Italia, Dongtianguo, Common-Sense Politics, Piscivore, mohamedrdzn, david_, The Spokesman of Eumenor, Carbon Alliance Nation, Proxy of Demescia and ParksAndRecreation!

2. We bid a fond farewell to those who have left us: CNU, Democratic Donkeys, Albrecht I, Malashaan, The Church of Satan, xarinth, Zyvetskistaahn and Tano.

3. A special election for Justice is underway, and it will last until the 2nd of January. Make sure to vote early, vote often!

4. Keep informed about the recent changes in activity requirements with the passage of the Voting Rights Act! Specifically, the previous voting and logging in requirements have been replaced with posting requirements.

Just recently, researchers at University College London discovered reindeer are the only mammals that can see ultraviolet light. While human vision cuts off at wavelengths around 400 nm, reindeers can see up to 320 nm. This range only covers the part of the spectrum we can see with the help of a black light, but it is still enough to help reindeer see things in the glowing white of the Arctic that they would otherwise miss. Things like white fur and urine are difficult, even impossible, for humans to see in the snow, but for reindeer, they show up in high contrast.
Source: http://mentalfloss.com/article/29470/11-things-you-might-not-know-about-reindeer (The actual literature: http://jeb.biologists.org/content/214/12/2014.full)

Primary, n. (also primary election) (In the US) a preliminary election to appoint delegates to a party conference or to select the candidates for a principal, especially presidential, election: these two republicans should win their primaries easily

Coming soon!™

You are receiving this telegram because you are a citizen of The North Pacific. Please inform the Speaker or a Deputy Speaker if you wish to stop receiving the Weekly Digest.

Issue 4: 2014-12-29 to 2014-01-04

1. A Bill to Celebrate the Bill of Rights/Democracy Day Bill: PASSED
2. A motion to uphold the rejection of Abstain: PASSED
3. A motion to uphold the rejection of Biyah: PASSED

1. Regional Assembly Rules Amendment: Scheduled for Vote
2. A bill to amend Chapter 6, Clause 7 of the Legal Code: Formal Debate
3. Justice for all Act: Under Discussion
4. Bicameral Legislature Bill: Under Discussion

Other Business: See below for other matters that may concern you as a citizen.

1. We extend a warm welcome to our newest citizens: Y3S1, Lord Lore, Collpik, Brunsk, Liteonhill, Zyvetskistaahn, arva, Wolfstar, DRLMS, BobFlutie, Albrecht I, Myroria, New Haven, Isloe, Pasargad, Whales223

2. We bid a fond farewell to those who have left us: thirtyonem14 and Manen Dager.

3. General Election season has begun! Candidacy Declarations for the different offices are underway, and voting will start on the 6th of January!

This is what the fox says.

Decorum, n. Behaviour in keeping with good taste and propriety: “He had acted with the utmost decorum.”

Coming soon!™

You are receiving this telegram because you are a citizen of The North Pacific. Please inform the Speaker or a Deputy Speaker if you wish to stop receiving the Weekly Digest.

I was on Holiday LOA! Office had shutdown and hence killed my Internet heh.

The Cooking Book is being shaped as we go on :D

Sorry for the mistake on forgetting to post my LOA

spk-seal.png

I hereby appoint Alta Italia to the position of Deputy Speaker. Welcome to the Speaker's Office. You may take your oath.

The next edition of the RA Weekly Dispatch will come tomorrow, so be on the lookout!

EDIT: Looks like it won't. I'll muster the discipline to get the extremely overdue dispatch done over this week.

Thank you, Lord Nwahs. It is my great pleasure and tremendous honor to accept the position of Deputy Speaker of the North Pacific. I hope that I can be of great use both for this region and for Lord Nwahs. Though I am a rather new member to NS and TNP, I have high expectations of myself, and I'm excited for this fantastic opportunity to serve all nations of the region. With that, I will gladly take up this extremely prestigious post, and attempt to serve in this capacity to the very best of my ability. Thank you!

spk-seal.png

Opening Remarks

Dear Citizens of the The North Pacific,

It is both an honor and a joy to serve as your newest Speaker of the Regional Assembly. This is not the way I wanted to win, with the loss of one of TNP's greatest, but sadly we must move on and continue the actions of the Regional Assembly. Below is some of the things I will be accomplishing in the coming term, or will be following-up with you on.

Awards

There are four people in The North Pacific that I believe have contributed so much to this region, and specifically the Regional Assembly. So, as the honor of being Speaker was bestowed upon me, I shall now bestow these awards to them.

altamedal.png

The first award I will bestow is to the newest appointed Deputy Speaker, Alta Italia. Alta was recently appointed before Lord Nwahs unexpectedly left TNP. He really showed great courage during a time of crisis in the Speaker's Office, and I am very honored to name him the first Honorary Deputy award winner. Alta, I'd be more than happy if you would continue serving under me for the coming term.

elegarthmedal.png

The next award is to Elegarth, who I recently found out was the most chill person in all of TNP. I asked him before the election if he would want me to run, and he responded, "If you run, I'll definitely vote for you...but if you don't, I'll just abstain." Elegarth, you crack me up with your humor sometimes (even if you don't mean to) and I'm glad that you are the other Honorary Deputy award winner. I'd also like to keep you in the office for another term.

astamedal.png

Dang, where do I start with you Asta? You are such an inspiration, and I'm so glad that you are now doing what you love at the Vice Delegate's Desk. I hope that we get the honor of serving together again and please, enjoy being the first Honorary Mentor award winner.

coemedal.png

Can't forget the script master, can I, COE? I know that you will always be there when I accidentally delete an entire row or suddenly erase all of my previous work. You are da man, COE, so please, enjoy your medal!

The Speaker's Office and the Ministry of Education

For the coming term, TNP's latest couple will be the SO and the MoE. I've begun discussion with Malvad, and everything listed in my platform for the debates and classes lines up with the Ministry almost perfectly. As such, I will be conducting a class on Legislature Writing and will be looking for Teacher Assistants soon.

Third Deputy Speaker

I will be accepting applications for a third Deputy Speaker to fill the spot that I left. Please fill out the following application and PM it to me on the forum or the IRC to be considered.

1. How long have you been in TNP or in a region like TNP?
  2. Do you have experience in Google Sheets or a spreadsheet-like software?
  3. How many duties of the Speaker can you list? (List them if you know any.)
  4. What is the best thing about the current Regional Assembly?
  5. What is the worst thing about the current Regional Assembly?
  6. Do you agree or disagree with the cooperation between the legislative branch and the executive ministries?
  7. Any other info you would like to share with the Speaker?

"Obsera os tuum loquor"
"Shut your mouth, I'm speaking"

Your Speaker,

Bootsie
Speaker of the Regional Assembly

I am deeply honoured that you bestow upon me this award, and I am pleased and excited to accept your invitation to continue as Deputy Speaker. Thank you, Bootsie, and may you have a fantastic term.

Alta Italia

Dear Members of the Regional Assembly,

In an attempt to keep the office as transparent as possible, I will be introducing an update through a program called Speaker Update. This program will update the citizens on a different level than our weekly telegram and inform more on, "What is our Speaker currently doing?" Also, feel free to comment and tell us how the office can improve as a whole.

Thanks,

Madam Speaker Bootsie

spk-seal.png

I am appointing Gulliver and RPI as my two Deputy Speakers. Both are very qualified candidates, and since I couldn't decide on one, I will be keeping both and adding them to my team. Both of you may now take your oath.​

Thank you, Bootsie! I am overjoyed that I get to serve as your Deputy Speaker. I truly am honored to be chosen for such a position. I will do all that I can to help you in your term, as I know your duties can be strenuous, and numerous. I will do everything that I can, to the best of my ability, to maintain and improve the Regional Assembly, the legislature of this great region. I hope to earn the trust of all of my fellow citizens of TNP during my time as Deputy Speaker. I would also like to congratulate Gulliver, who is to be my fellow Deputy Speaker, I look forward to working with you. I also look forward to working with Elegarth and Alta Italia, the other Deputy Speakers, and of course, Bootsie. Thank you much, everyone!

Gulliver & RPI: I am more than pleased to know that I will be working with you two. I know - to emphasize, I know - that both of you are more than capable of performing the duties of Deputy Speaker fantastically. I'd like to congratulate both of you on your appointment, and I hope that you are looking forward to the rest of the term as eagerly as I am.

Alta Italia
Your New Colleague

Dear citizens of the Regional Assembly:

Effective 03-16 to 03-22, I will be taking a Leave of Absence due to a teacher conference. To maintain the Speaker's Office, my Senior Deputy Speaker, Elegarth will become Acting Speaker in my absence. One of my last actions before my leave will be The Orator: Issue 2, though I will prepare almost everything in advance to my leave. If you need help, here is the order in which to contact my deputies:

1. Elegarth (Acting Speaker)
2. Alta Italia (Acting Senior Deputy)
3. RPI (Acting Junior Deputy)

If the error is with the rolls or the scripts, Crushing Our Enemies or SillyString can be found at #speakers_office if none of my deputies can help you. In emergency, I will be on for a minimum amount of time during the time, and you may PM me for it to be addressed during the time.

Thanks,

Bootsie

My university end of term is coming with a bunch of accumulated stuff that I had not bandwith to take care of right now, and I'm afraid I must quit to my Deputy position until I have a better availability.

I'd like to continue as a citizen and all, but I don't really have time for TNP's Deputy Speaker right now. I will consider coming back in the future, once this term clears out.

Thanks and sorry.

Back