The Speaker's Desk

Good luck Elegarth, and good luck RPI and Alta! Who's gonna be acting speaker? :0

Syrixia:
Good luck Elegarth, and good luck RPI and Alta! Who's gonna be acting speaker? :0
With regards to who is going to be Acting Speaker, I'd like to make it clear that Bootsie is now no longer on leave. She is the Speaker, now shut up, she's speaking :lol:

No!!!! Elegarth!!! You can't leave us!!! :cry:
Just kidding, I totally understand, though I know the Speaker's Office will miss one of its greatest deputies.

And before someone says RPI is rude by telling people to shut up, I must say that it is our motto translated from Latin. Very clever too.

Elegarth:
My university end of term is coming with a bunch of accumulated stuff that I had not bandwith to take care of right now, and I'm afraid I must quit to my Deputy position until I have a better availability.

I'd like to continue as a citizen and all, but I don't really have time for TNP's Deputy Speaker right now. I will consider coming back in the future, once this term clears out.

Thanks and sorry.
Sad to see you leave the position, Elegarth, but I am glad you'll still be a citizen and hang around with us.

~ Tomb

Thank you all for your nice comments. I'm not gone, just going to become for a bit a slug in the democratic system: a voting maniac with no job :)

Thanks for the remasking as well.

Voting on the new Alliance with Taijitu ended here weeks ago, and in Taijitu also.

Should the legal documents perhaps be updated?

Due to my upcoming examinations and time needed to study for them, I am appointing Alta Italia as Acting Speaker for the rest of my term, which should end in two days.

Thank you, Bootsie. It's a great honor, and one that I will not take lightly. I am especially glad that my term only lasts two days. :P I'll get straight to work!

Alright, here's my first act as Speaker :D I have decided to archive the current Speaker's Desk and make a new one. I feel that this one has become a little outdated, and it's time to start anew after all that's been going on in TNP. You can expect my opening remarks to be made on the new Speaker's Desk. :)

spk-seal.png

Welcome to the new Speaker's Desk! Be sure to check this thread for public announcements from the Speaker on anything relating to the Regional Assembly. Also, please ask any questions you may have for the Speaker here.

Find the Speaker's Office on IRC at #Speakers_Office

Current Regional Assembly News

embed.php

Speaker of the Regional Assembly

spk-seal.png

Speaker Opening Remarks

Esteemed members of the Regional Assembly:

I would like to begin by thanking Crushing Our Enemies for a truly exciting experience running in a TNP election. You definitely fought hard, COE, and I commend you for that. I also thank Former Speaker Bootsie, Acting Delegate SillyString, and Security Councillor Crushing Our Enemies for helping me along the path that took me to where I am today, your Speaker. I would like to thank Election Commissioners Darcania, Andrew, and Cascadia for overseeing the May 2015 General Elections and the Speaker Runoff Elections; thank you for your hard work, you three. Finally, I wish to thank those who voted for me in the elections - I definitely would not be Speaker if it wasn't for you, so thank you much.

It is a huge honor to serve The North Pacific as Speaker of the Regional Assembly. It is, and always will be, my goal to perform my duties with great care and effort, and to ensure that these duties, which you have entrusted to me, are always done in a timely manner. As I said in my campaign, you can be sure that during my term, I will devote my time to the Regional Assembly and to guaranteeing its smooth operation, and that I will constantly be updating the rolls and keeping them up to date. You can also be sure that I will work hard to keep the laws of the North Pacific up to date at all times. This is not a position I take lightly, and I will always be working hard as your Speaker; I guarantee it.

I am looking forward to a successful term, and I am excited to work with all of you.

Sincerely yours,
[me]

Deputy Speakers

• [*]I will be keeping Alta Italia on as a Deputy Speaker if he so wishes to continue.

[*]I will be appointing one (possibly two) more Deputy Speaker(s) pending the review of applications submitted by those who are interested in the position. Keep in mind that a Deputy Speaker is a government official, and so they must be a citizen of TNP.

Please PM me on the forums with the following application filled out if you are interested in the position, and include the question with your response:

• How long have you been in TNP or in a region like TNP?
  • Do you have any prior experience in the Speaker's Office?
  • Do you have experience in a body like the Speaker's Office elsewhere in NationStates? If so, list where.
  • Do you have experience using Google Sheets or a spreadsheet-like software?
  • Please list all of the duties of the Speaker and his Office that you know.
  • Are you familiar with how a bill becomes a law?
  • Are you familiar with the RA Rules and the Standing Procedures?
  • What do you like about the Regional Assembly?
  • Where do you believe the Regional Assembly needs improvement?
  • List any other information that you believe is relevant to your application.

• [*]Keep in mind that to be a Deputy Speaker, it is not necessary for you to be all-knowing of the RA Rules and how everything works. It is my job as Speaker to train you and prepare you for your future in the Speaker's Office and the Regional Assembly. Don't feel discouraged if you don't know everything, it won't necessarily have a huge impact on your application.

spk-seal.png

I hereby announce the appointment of Crushing Our Enemies as Deputy Speaker to assist me this term. I officially delegate the duty of accepting citizenship applications unto him for the time being, until I can figure out where else I need him to help.

Applications for Deputy Speaker are still being accepted from any who are interested. This appointment was prearranged.

[me]

Congratulations to Speaker RPI! I have submitted my application to be a Deputy Speaker, a role which looks to be rather interesting.

Regarding the changes in voting procedure made to the Standing Procedures here:
There will be a pilot test vote of the new voting procedure on the next proposal that will go to vote in the RA to see how people will vote, and to see how it will affect vote counting, etc. How it is now is not necessarily how it will remain for the rest of the term.

spk-seal.png

I am happy to announce the newest member of the Speaker's Office. After reviewing the applications that were sent to me, I have decided to appoint Ivo as Deputy Speaker. Thank you to all those who applied.

I would also like to announce the following ranks in the Speaker's Office:
  1. [me] - Speaker
  2. Crushing Our Enemies - Senior Deputy
  3. Alta Italia - Junior Deputy
  4. Ivo - Assistant Deputy

This is how I will divide up the duties of the Office. Senior Deputy is the "highest" rank, and Assistant Deputy is the "lowest" in terms of what duties I will delegate to them.

Thank you,
embed.php

spk-seal.png

Citizens of The North Pacific:

Maybe you have noticed my recent inactivity? Well, it's final exam time at my school again, and I have to put all of my time towards studying for them. I have very limited time for NS at the moment because of this, but I should be back to full activity on June 6, when final exams are over. Until June 6, I am officially designating Crushing Our Enemies as acting speaker.

Thank you for understanding,
embed.php

Well, finals ended, and now I should have more time for NS starting tomorrow. :D I'll get the RA Post (the weekly newsletter) going again next weekend; I am rather busy today as well.

This is rather embarassing, actually, :blush: but some things have come up and I'll need to have COE continue as acting speaker until this next Friday, June 12. Sorry :( I really hope to be back to full activity then.

So, I've finally been able to put some more time toward NS and TNP. COE is no longer acting speaker (for real this time :P ).

I am sorry this came at such short notice, but I will have to take a leave of absence from June 27 until July 5, as I will be going on a mission trip during which I will have little to no internet access. I officially designate Crushing Our Enemies as acting speaker.

I'm back, albeit a bit late. :D I'll try and sort out all that I've missed tomorrow. I'm rather tired, as it is midnight where I live. :P

My apologies for my lapse in activity, particularly because it overlapped with the announced period that I was to be acting speaker. Given that RPI has not logged on in the five days since he posted the above, I will endeavor to keep things on track. Currently, the rolls are up to date, we are caught up on applications, and I will now review the RA area and voting floor to see if we're behind on anything.

A big thanks to Ivo for everything they've done in the meantime.

EDIT: And, again, thanks to Ivo, it looks like we're caught up on debate and voting.

Given that RPI was last active at (time=1436479200) according to the forum and it has been over 14 days since then, the office of Speaker is vacant and the Vice Delegate and I are the Election Commission in a Special Election for Speaker.

I will have limited time to spend on the forum Aug 1 - Aug 8. I will attempt to attend to speaker duties, but cannot guarantee everything will be done promptly, particularly between Aug 1 and 3.

I have returned to full activity.

I regret to announce that Ivo has tendered his resignation to me, and is no longer a deputy speaker. In addition, I announce that before the special election was over, Alta Italia informed me that it was his intention to resign to RPI, but that they had not yet agreed on when and how to make that resignation public. My reply to Alta went unanswered, and considering that it has now been over three weeks since Alta logged onto this forum, I will consider his resignation effective now.

Thus, I am on the market for deputies. If you're interested, let's talk.

It is my pleasure to present the latest edition of the Weekly Digest, back after a long hiatus. It is, as I post, being sent by telegram to all citizens of TNP.

Regional Assembly Weekly Digest
(2015-08-09 - 2015-08-16)

Speaker of the Regional Assembly: General COE
Deputy Speaker: Vacant

Old Business: Please find below a list of proposals that have passed and failed this past week.

1. Approve the Dissolution of the Balder Treaty: Passed

New Business: Below can be found a list of proposals currently before the assembly.

There are no recent proposals under discussion.

Other Business: See below for other matters that may concern you as a member of the RA.

1. We extend a warm welcome to our newest Assembly members: Roeton, rapix, Riechelburg, NPNTransistor001, NabMex, griffinmc108, Smorgasarna, Llamas, Le Nouveau Canada, mclly, jacobthe4gaming, and Gulliver.

2. We bid a fond farewell to those who have left us: RPI, Blue Wolf II, Cormac, Denslos, New Aquilia, Ivo, Belschaft, Socius, Afootpluto, Ozymandias, Rovulcano, Elkhorn_6 , Bon, Proxy of Demescia, Sparrowstorm, Charles Kensington, and Barnsley210. We are sorry to see them go.

3. Elections for delegate, vice delegate, and speaker will begin on September 1. Begin thinking about who you may wish to nominate...

General COE's Cautionary Words
As circumstances change, so must the law.

You are receiving this telegram because you are a member of the Regional Assembly of The North Pacific. Please inform the Speaker or the Deputy Speaker if you wish to stop receiving the Weekly Digest.

I have merged this topic with the old speaker's desk, because I see no need for them to be separate. I have also rewritten the OP to be more in line with the modern purpose of this thread.

It is my pleasure to announce the appointment of the following Deputy Speakers!

Quak1234: Quak became a citizen in June of this year, and since then has never missed a vote or voted "abstain" on any matter before the Regional Assembly. Their interest in legislative affairs and their desire to be involved on a higher level makes Quak a promising newcomer to the speaker's office.

The Democratic Republic of Tomb: A former delegate and a highly experienced member of the cabinet, Tomb will help the office coordinate our activities with those of the executive government, and widen our perspective beyond legislation. Well known as a hyper-competent government official, Tomb is a valuable addition to the team.

Zyvetskistaahn: A former speaker and deputy speaker, Zyvet brings a wealth of experience to the table. It'll be just like old times :P

Please join me in congratulating the new deputies. I am looking forward to a smooth and productive rest of the term.

I am pleased to present the latest Weekly Digest:

(2015-08-16 - 2015-08-23)

Deputy Speaker (Citizenship): Iopjvi
Deputy Speaker (Administration): Zyvetskistaahn
Deputy Speaker (Procedure): The Democratic Republic of Tomb

Old Business: Please find below a list of proposals that have passed and failed this past week.

No old business this week. :(

New Business: Below can be found a list of proposals currently before the assembly.

There are no recent proposals under discussion.

Other Business: See below for other matters that may concern you as a member of the RA.

1. We extend a warm welcome to our newest Assembly members: Hakhunter, Skyllaria, Lennart, Hiskjriaana, Dyrolia, JetS, and Morvens.

2. We bid a fond farewell to those who have left us: Alta Italia, silverdomonation, jacobthe4gaming, Intergalaxis Holdings, Llamas, Tonse, Pasargad, Merconitonitopia, Llamanation, th0rs0n, and Finndrea. We’re sorry to see them go.

3. A team of deputy speakers has been appointed! They have already begun their work and training.

Iopjvi's Quack of the Week
That awkward moment when the fruit is no longer in the basket. Where did the fruit go?

Zyvetskistaahn Presents: Long Names
My name is fourteen letters long, but it's not the longest name ever. Ancientastronaut is longer.

Brace yourselves...elections are coming.

You are receiving this telegram because you are a member of the Regional Assembly of The North Pacific. Please inform the Speaker or a Deputy Speaker if you wish to stop receiving the Weekly Digest.

I apologize that this week's digest is a day late. My days have been full of unpacking boxes and organizing kitchens. Nonetheless:

(2015-08-23 - 2015-08-31)

Deputy Speaker (Procedure): Iopjvi
Deputy Speaker (Administration): Zyvetskistaahn
Deputy Speaker (Citizenship): The Democratic Republic of Tomb

1. Amending Citizenship: Under discussion.

1. We extend a warm welcome to our newest Assembly members: Virgin Lands, trombone kingdom, Swetopia, mtagmann, Borntoru, senormatanza, Necromonia, Sassaria, Stelo Casisto, Dolphin, Leeland, Abbey Anumia, pri, TheBertiebee, rebelheart, HWP, Varincia, Tipitipit, Ourthe-Ambleve, StopWorryingandLovetheBomb, Francis Green, Mackerel, Mall, Hollanda, Rector_Ras, Opopanax, Nuvidea, and Glorius!

2. We bid a fond farewell to those who have left us: Rettevres, rapix, Elegarth, Isloe, Khoradin, and gslv. We are sorry to see them go.

3. Nominations for delegate, vice delegate and speaker will begin in the next day! Voting is scheduled to begin on September 6th. It is a mark of good citizenship to participate in the electoral process.

Hansel and Gretel went up the hill. Gretel fell.

If you must move residences, be advised that your activity on NationStates will suffer for a bit.

You are receiving this telegram because you are a member of the Regional Assembly of The North Pacific. Please inform the Speaker or a Deputy Speaker if you wish to stop receiving the Weekly Digest.

It is my pleasure to present the latest edition of the RA Weekly Digest:
(2015-09-01 - 2015-09-09)

Deputy Speaker (Administration): Iopjvi
Deputy Speaker (Procedure): Zyvetskistaahn
Deputy Speaker (Citizenship): The Democratic Republic of Tomb

1. Amending Citizenship: Under discussion.

1. We extend a warm welcome to our newest Assembly members: Blue, Aemirk, Esplandia, Elegarth, Confederation of Common Sense, GraVandius, Laylos, Librenation, Skyviolia, lexlow23, Sorlos, The Hinterland, and Unkn0wn!

2. We bid a fond farewell to those who have left us: hbclaasen, AtriarWraith, abhi4195, The Hinterland, The United States of Opali, Spectrale PR, Queen_of_Xosteiles, Ingesterra, Alcistan, Tercerwereld, Sandberg, OblivionObliviousness, Roeton, NPNTransistor001, and Hollanda. We are sorry to see them go.

3. Voting for delegate, vice delegate, and speaker ends in less than 36 hours! Look for the voting thread in the elections subforum of the agora.

A lack of calcium in the body is often caused by a lack of putting your head into an active microwave for hours at a time.

Zyvetskistaahn Presents: Long Names
My name is fourteen letters long, but it's not the longest name ever. [nation=short+noflag]Bouncyabbeykitty[/nation] is longer.

If you must move residences, be advised that your activity on NationStates will suffer for a bit.

Mr. Speaker, I have recently been informed that my citizenship had lapsed, presumably due to inactivity. I believe my absence was for a period of 27 days. not in excess of 30. Could you please check your records and advise? Thanks so much.

Your citizenship was removed on the 29th (in my timezone, GMT) of December, on the basis that you had not posted in over thirty days prior to that. So far as I am able to tell, your last post prior to the removal was on the 19th (also GMT) of November, so at the time of removal you had not posted in around 40 days at the time of your removal.

So, as far as I can tell, the removal of your citizenship was correct and you'll need to reapply for citizenship.

You did not make any posts between November 25th and January 8th. You were removed on the 29th of December, and so even at that point, you had not posted for approximately 35 days.

Edit: Typo Fixed.

Was it the 19th or the 24th? Sure there was nothing after that? Also, I cannot find the announcement of my removal. Could you please point me to it, Mr. Speaker?

Back