Quorum Reduction

RPI

TNPer
I would like to bring forth a proposal to lower the quorum of legislative votes. Two consecutive votes have failed to achieve quorum and needed extentions, the Emergency Law Bill and the COI Mark II bill. The current number of votes required to achieve quorum is 50, which is quite high in my opinion. I have not drafted any amendment yet; I would just like to put this up for discussion for now.

The relevant part of the Legal Code is as follows:
Legal Code; Section 6.1: Citizenship:
16. The number of votes required to achieve quorum for any legislative vote is equal to one third the number of those citizens who have voted in a legislative vote at least once in the last 20 consecutive days or have not missed more than three consecutive legislative votes, as determined by the time the votes closed. A legislative vote is a vote of the Regional Assembly to enact, amend or repeal laws.

Here's the proposal currently:
Quorum Reduction Act:
The Legal Code, Section 6.1; Clause 16, shall be amended to read as follows:
16. The number of votes required to achieve quorum for any legislative vote is equal to one third of the number of citizens who have voted in at least one of the three most recent legislative votes. A legislative vote is a vote of the Regional Assembly to enact, amend or repeal laws.

Lol, "the agonizing side effects". First, this is one side effect, not multiple effects. Second, this is not agonizing - it's clear that our requirement to be legislatively active is a bit loose, but that is easily fixable. Currently, there are 41 "legislatively active" citizens who have never cast a vote in the RA. Elminating those from the equation would decisively solve our quorum problems. In addition, we can probably simplify the other requirements a bit. If the goal is to keep track of who's interested in legislation, there's no need for a 20 day metric. We can eliminate that and just make it anyone who has voted in any of the last three legislative votes. Why three instead of four? Cause sometimes we don't have very many legislative votes. Our fourth newest legislative vote was in March. We can afford to make this a bit more stringent. That would reduce the number of legislatively active citizens by a further 13. The new clause would look something like this:
16. The number of votes required to achieve quorum for any legislative vote is equal to one third of the number of citizens who have voted in at least one of the three most recent legislative votes. A legislative vote is a vote of the Regional Assembly to enact, amend or repeal laws.
This clause would reduce the number of votes required for quorum from the current 48 to 20, by my reckoning.

EDIT: Mum, the reason it seems that way is that we haven't had a lot of legislative votes recently, so it takes a long time to lose "legislatively active" status. To not be legislatively active under current law, you must have missed the last four legislative votes.

COE:
Currently, there are 41 "legislatively active" citizens who have never cast a vote in the RA. Eliminating those from the equation would decisively solve our quorum problems.
Just to be clear.. you'd be willing to disenfranchise 41 citizens to solve a quorum problem? That would definitely ease the passage of legislation. :eyeroll:

** 41 citizens who have chosen to not vote when given the chance. **

If I'm reading this amendment properly (COE's) then the quorum would go up or down automatically depending on voter turnout, and there is nothing saying that those 41 citizens could not vote in it only that they didn't vote on the previous bills.

falapatorius:
COE:
Currently, there are 41 "legislatively active" citizens who have never cast a vote in the RA. Eliminating those from the equation would decisively solve our quorum problems.
Just to be clear.. you'd be willing to disenfranchise 41 citizens to solve a quorum problem? That would definitely ease the passage of legislation. :eyeroll:
There's nothing in here whatsoever about disenfranchising.

All it means is that those 41 citizens who have never voted in the RA (or who have not voted in four months) would not be considered "legislatively active" for the purposes of determining quorum.

Crushing Our Enemies:
Looks good to me.

In an earlier version of the quorum concept, we had a sliding proportion determined by the size of eligible voters in the R.A.

Thre were different formulas in use at different times, but the earliest one seems to be more useful in the current environment, with so may eligible to vote in the R.A.

B - Quorum shall consist either a total of 20 legitimate votes cast by Regional Assembly members or be that number of legitimate votes cast by Regional Assembly Members that is equal to six per cent of the total number of members of the Regional Assembly, as applicable) at the time the referendum commences, whichever is greater.

In other words, by setting an absolute minimum, but using a percentage lower than 30 percent whenever the R.A. has as many potentially active members as it has now, it can meet the objectives of a quorum retirement in the first place, but allow the percentage to be a number more reasonable that the current 30 percent.

Perhaps fifteen percent but no fewer than 25?

Lord Ravenclaw:
quorum would go up or down automatically depending on voter turnout, and there is nothing saying that those 41 citizens could not vote in it only that they didn't vote on the previous bills.
Alright, so this amendment addresses quorum only. Fair enough.

So let's say theses 41 citizens do vote. By doing so, they become legislatively active again. Quorum shoots up. The next bill at vote fails to reach quorum again. So, what then? Another amendment lowering the threshold of legislatively active status? Pointless.

Quorum shall consist either a total of 20 legitimate votes cast by Regional Assembly members or be that number of legitimate votes cast by Regional Assembly Members that is equal to six per cent of the total number of members of the Regional Assembly, as applicable) at the time the referendum commences, whichever is greater.
This is much better. 6% is pretty low though. 20% seems reasonable.

why not make a min and max quorum. That's use some common sense here, if we have over 30+ people voting on legislation for a political game on an offsite forum, well dang i think we're doing pretty good.

I think 20 is the established minimum, why not make a hard number a maximum?

flemingovia:
I love TNP. Never do something simple when something complicated will do.

Hello, Captain Obvious. :lol:

Here's a simple solution: Hold a periodic role call every two weeks and the number of respondents is used to determine quorum. That way, you actually get a relatively firm number as to how many people are paying attention in the RA.

The Roll Call business has been tried before and it simply does not work. If someone happens not to be around at the exact time, although they're otherwise particippating, it becomes a penalty of sorts.

punk d:
why not make a min and max quorum. That's use some common sense here, if we have over 30+ people voting on legislation for a political game on an offsite forum, well dang i think we're doing pretty good.

I think 20 is the established minimum, why not make a hard number a maximum?
That is essentially what I am suggesting. The passage I quoted in my previous postwas from the constitution that came out of the COnstitutional Convention, and was changed more due to the die off in NS at the time the Great Recession began.

If you go back and look at what I actually suggested, I urged a fix floor and a flexible percentage maximum, but lower than the figure proposed by this amendment.

Flemingovia may (?) have been joking, but I agree. It's not like the RA is being flooded with legislative proposals; why not just run it based on motions and seconds? Proposals that are obviously terrible will surely fail a general vote, if they even manage to get a second or two.

I dislike all the proposals given. This is my proposal: a semi-repeal of the VRA. We revert the term "citizen" back to its old meaning. RA members will have the old voting requirements as before. However, citizens will still be allowed to vote in elections.

plembobria:
I dislike all the proposals given. This is my proposal: a semi-repeal of the VRA. We revert the term "citizen" back to its old meaning. RA members will have the old voting requirements as before. However, citizens will still be allowed to vote in elections.
How is this better?

Since we consistently get around forty votes, maybe we could just have a minimum number of votes required for a bill to pass instead of all of this legislatively active stuff?

Grosseschnauzer:
The Roll Call business has been tried before and it simply does not work. If someone happens not to be around at the exact time, although they're otherwise particippating, it becomes a penalty of sorts.

Not really, because the roll call I am suggesting is just to determine a quorum number. People who do not respond to the roll call can still vote. It's just to set an arbitrary number.

flemingovia:
Let's just strike quorum requirement altogether. Why not?

Actually, given the current requirements of RA membership, not a bad idea when you get right down to it.

Democracy is not a spectator sport and if large numbers of people decide not to participate, that should not affect those who do participate.

Or we could just eliminate the damn quorum requirement entirely.

I was in a region once where we spent six months unable to pass any laws as we couldn't muster the number of votes to remove our own quorum requirement.

Bel brings up a good point. In a region with slowing activity, a quorum requirement can cripple the legislature and prevent it from doing anything at all, slowing activity further.

I don't think repealing the quorum requirement is a bad idea.

If we were to repeal it, it would look something like this:
Possible Bill:
Clause 6 of the Constitution Article 2 will be struck.
Clause 16 of the Legal Code Section 6.1 will be struck.
I'm not entirely sure if we'd need the Clause of the Constitution to be struck. It reads:
Constitution:
6. The number of votes required to achieve quorum for any vote of the Regional Assembly except elections will be determined by law.
What do you all think?

The reason many entities have a quorum requirement is as a protection against unrepresentative action in the name of the group by an unduly small number of people. For example, to stop something from slithering in over the Christmas holidays when no one's paying attention.

Great Bights Mum:
The reason many entities have a quorum requirement is as a protection against unrepresentative action in the name of the group by an unduly small number of people. For example, to stop something from slithering in over the Christmas holidays when no one's paying attention.
^ This. I'm against repealing quorum. 1/3 isn't really all that high of a threshold, just an inconvenience to some who draft/support a particular piece of legislation that fails to meet the quorum requirement. On the other hand, 25% or an x number of voters (40 seems consistent with current RA turnout), whichever is greater, seems reasonable to me.

Having an absolute minimum number of votes required to achieve quorum is a bad idea, because then, if the RA shrinks, the quorum requirement as a percentage goes up. So let's say the minimum number of votes to achieve quorum is 20, and then NS goes into a site-wide decline, as we've seen in the past, and the RA shrinks to around 40 players. Do we really want quorum in that case to be 50%?!

Playing with quorum can be very dangerous business, because if we set the bar too high, we may find ourselves unable to change it, if proposals to fix it do not themselves reach quorum.

I am in favor of eliminating quorum, but if there is not enough traction for that idea, I think the best thing would be to keep the current system, but change the definition of "legislatively active" to one that makes a bit more sense, like the one I have proposed.

Belschaft:
Or we could just eliminate the damn quorum requirement entirely.

I was in a region once where we spent six months unable to pass any laws as we couldn't muster the number of votes to remove our own quorum requirement.
Myroria:
Bel brings up a good point. In a region with slowing activity, a quorum requirement can cripple the legislature and prevent it from doing anything at all, slowing activity further.

But this can't actually happen unless we radically change how quorum works in a bad way. Because it's calculated as a percentage of legislatively active citizens, where legislative activity means voting, a particular bill can only fail to achieve it so many times before it succeeds.

The reason we hit a quorum issue this time is because we hadn't voted on anything for a month, and so there was no weeding out of new citizens from legislative activity going on that normally happens when we vote regularly.[note]To be strictly precise, the reason is a combination of the rate of citizens joining compared to the rate that are leaving or becoming marked as legislatively inactive, as well as the rate at which we are voting. Citizens are currently joining at a rate of one or two per day; if that were to slow to a crawl we would also not have quorum problems. Inversely, if citizenship applications massively sped up, no rate of RA voting (particularly given our 2-vote maximum) could meet quorum. But citizenship rates have been relatively stable at that level for a few months now, and IMO it's reasonable to look at them as a constant in this equation.[/note] One way to avoid this is always make sure we're voting on things in the RA (because TNP doesn't have enough of a legislative fetish already :P ), but the draft that COE wrote will fix this by preventing new citizens who have never voted from being counted as legislatively active. If we implement it, we shouldn't run into a quorum problem again.

I can't support a hard minimum, for exactly the reasons that have been mentioned - it's inflexible and exactly the bad direction that would cause us to be permanently unable to meet quorum in times of relative quiet. Similarly, a hard maximum I think has similar issues to not having quorum at all. Currently we have something like 150 citizens, with 40-50 regularly voting in the RA and another ten or twenty voting sometimes. At this size, a hard cap of 30 might be fine. But if we continue to grow at the rate we have been since we expanded citizenship, and we reached, say, 300 citizens with 100 regularly voting citizens and another couple dozen voting regularly, 30 would be quite low and would allow for a small group to push something through when people aren't paying attention.

I don't think expanding to that size is particularly likely, but that's no reason to legislate ourselves out of accommodating it.

Reading through all of this leads me to this thought: I don't care.

I'm sorry I think there are more important items to focus on and if we cant agree to a simple solution, I'm just as well with staying as is.

I think it'd be best to just eliminate the quorum requirement. That's the easiest and best way to fix the problem, imo.

RPI:
I think it'd be best to just eliminate the quorum requirement. That's the easiest and best way to fix the problem, imo.
I don't agree. Like GBM said, that has some very real risks in quieter times. I think COE's proposal is excellent thanks to its simplicity and efficacy.

SillyString:
RPI:
I don't agree. Like GBM said, that has some very real risks in quieter times. I think COE's proposal is excellent thanks to its simplicity and efficacy.
Fair point. My question is: how quiet do the quieter times get? (That's an actual question... I'd like to know the answer)

RPI:
Fair point. My question is: how quiet do the quieter times get? (That's an actual question... I'd like to know the answer)
It very much depends on the season (of the year), the climate (of the game), and the efforts of the preceding term or two of officials to keep engaging new nations and convincing them to stick around.

During the beginning of my time in TNP (early 2013), some bills got only 20-something votes.

There have been times when fewer than 15 votes were cast on a legislative measure. That was long ago - around the time Lewis & Clark won the delegacy with a total of 8 votes.

Great Bights Mum:
There have been times when fewer than 15 votes were cast on a legislative measure. That was long ago - around the time Lewis & Clark won the delegacy with a total of 8 votes.
There was one time a little over a year ago when in a special election the winning candidate had something like 6 votes, and the other couple 2 or 4. 20 or so people abstained, and I'm guessing others didn't vote because they couldn't bring themselves to pick among such a terrible field.

Granted, elections don't require a quorum to be met so they won't be affected by this.

I would support tweaking the quorum formula as discussed, but am most concerned at the notion of eliminating quorum entirely.

Back