Quorum Reduction

Alright, since there isn't much support for eliminating quorum, but no one has really objected to COE's draft, I am putting that in the OP, and we may discuss further. I don't think there's anything wrong with his version, so that's what I'll use for now. What say you all to moving that draft to formal debate?

(OP updated)

I am putting COE in charge of this proposal as it moves to a vote. COE, I move that this proposal go into formal debate.

The proposal as it stands in the OP has entered formal debate. Formal debate will last for five days from this post, at which time a vote will be scheduled.

I really do think with a Speaker and four deputies, it is poor form to put the actual defacto author of a bill in charge of the debate.

That's the last thing that should have been done.

Grosseschnauzer:
I really do think with a Speaker and four deputies, it is poor form to put the actual defacto author of a bill in charge of the debate.

That's the last thing that should have been done.
Three deputies, actually. One deputy is brand new and is just learning. Alta handles the citizenship applications, and I am currently handling all other proposals. I think we'll be okay this once.

Legislative procedures are conducting in the public eye, as are the counting of votes. If you expect impropriety, then I invite you to watch me closely. You will find none.

It is an issue of how it looks, even if there's nothing else. Since much of it is at the discretion of the chair, that contributes to the appearance question.

Grosseschnauzer:
It is an issue of how it looks, even if there's nothing else. Since much of it is at the discretion of the chair, that contributes to the appearance question.
Fair point. I've always thought (rightly or wrongly) the Speaker should maintain an arm's length to legislative debates. Of course, the Speaker can amend procedure as they see fit, but it was the Speaker who brought up the whole idea of this proposal, and then his deputy ran with it. I'm still against it anyway.

Looking back on the thread it is a little bit of a stretch to say that Eliminating quorum altogether has not "much support". I count at least five people who support the idea of removing quorum altogether.

Just because we do not post as often or as long, it does not mean that our point of view should be dismissed altogether.

I would like to inform everyone that with the results of the second COI Mark II vote put into the rolls, quorum has dropped to 27.

(This doesn't mean I'm withdrawing this proposal. That number will fluctuate greatly when new citizens are added with the current Clause 16)

Formal debate is now over. Voting will begin in five days, following the end of the voting period on COI mark II. The reason for the delay in voting is that the NPA tweak is scheduled to begin in the meantime.

Back