The Discordian Act

plembobria

TNPer
-
Section 7.3 of the Legal Code shall be amended to read:

• Discordianism shall be adopted as the religion and church of The North Pacific.
  • All nations are guaranteed freedom of expression of all, any, or no religious belief, and that freedom shall not be curtailed.
  • The Discordian religion shall receive no financial or tax advantages through being the religion of The North Pacific.
  • The North Pacific shall follow the Discordian Calendar.
  • Holidays of the Discordian religion shall be observed regionally, and all nations shall have the right to take a day off work, unpaid, on those holidays. Government officials are excluded from the effects of this clause.
  • No nation shall serve on the cabinet or any other appointed government position by virtue of their status in the Discordian religion.
  • Discordian officials may participate, as invited by the delegate, at all state functions.

The following shall be added to the Legal Code:

Chapter 9. The Pentabarf
  • There is no Goddess but Goddess and She is Your Goddess. There is no Erisian Movement but The Erisian Movement and it is The Erisian Movement. And every Golden Apple Corps is the beloved home of a Golden Worm.
  • All Nations Shall Always use the Official Discordian Document Numbering System.
  • Every Nation is Required during their early Illumination to Go Off Alone & Partake Joyously of a Hot Dog on a Friday; this Devotive Ceremony to Remonstrate against the popular Paganisms of the Day: of Catholic Christendom (no meat on Friday), of Judaism (no meat of Pork), of Hindic Peoples (no meat of Beef), of Buddhists (no meat of animal), and of Discordians (no Hot Dog Buns).
  • All Nations shall Partake of No Hot Dog Buns, for Such was the Solace of Our Goddess when She was Confronted with The Original Snub.
  • All Nations are Prohibited of Believing What They Read.

There's a problem. Other religions have different calendars. How can they be compatible with Discordianism. What if a nation wants to express the national religion by following its calendar?

Proxy of Demescia:
There's a problem. Other religions have different calendars. How can they be compatible with Discordianism. What if a nation wants to express the national religion by following its calendar?
Too bad.

plembobria:
  • All nations are guaranteed freedom of expression of all, any, or no religious belief, and that freedom shall not be curtailed.

• The North Pacific shall follow the Discordian Calendar.
  • Holidays of the Discordian religion shall be observed regionally, and all nations shall have the right to take a day off work, unpaid, on those holidays. Government officials are excluded from the effects of this clause.
  • All Nations Shall Always use the Official Discordian Document Numbering System.
  • Every Nation is Required during their early Illumination to Go Off Alone & Partake Joyously of a Hot Dog on a Friday; this Devotive Ceremony to Remonstrate against the popular Paganisms of the Day: of Catholic Christendom (no meat on Friday), of Judaism (no meat of Pork), of Hindic Peoples (no meat of Beef), of Buddhists (no meat of animal), and of Discordians (no Hot Dog Buns).
  • All Nations shall Partake of No Hot Dog Buns, for Such was the Solace of Our Goddess when She was Confronted with The Original Snub.
  • All Nations are Prohibited of Believing What They Read.
Is there not a contradiction between the first item on the list and the others quoted here?

Surely the observance of Holidays and partaking of religious acts are a form of religious "expression."

No hot dogs? THIS IS BLASPHEMY! If this act were to pass, it would cripple our economy!

Before Flemingovianism was adopted as the official state religion of TNP, it had a very long history of activity and benef to the cultural life of the region.

Discordianism would have a better chance of adoption if it could point to the same. Can you give any evidence of this? If not, it might be better to wait, improve the resume, then try it.

A shame, in a way. I would welcome the enriching of the cultural life of the region leading to more official recognised religions.

flemingovia:
A shame, in a way. I would welcome the enriching of the cultural life of the region leading to more official recognised religions.
That would actually be fun as long as it doesn't become contentious. ;)

The North Pacific shall follow the Discordian Calendar.

Oh, my. That would be a very complex thing, especially if the Discordian Clock was adopted.

The Discordian date for Thursday January 8th, 2015 would be: Pungenday Chaos 8th, YOLD 3181. And tomorrow would be Prickle-Prickle Chaos 9th, YOLD 3181

Or how about discordian time? :P

tumblr_m545m8w8lW1rxfhjno1_500.gif

So, picture a time system whereby each day is divided thusly:

Each Discording day consists of 1 "hour", called "THUD"; "THUD" = five minutes and each minute consists of 23 seconds, which is the first hour of the day. This is then followed by 265 "hours", in which each subsequent hour consists of 5 "minutes" (each minute in fact,being 23 seconds long), and one minute being five "seconds". Easy enough.

Now, if any of you understand the mathematics behind that and can actually convert standard 24 hours into Discordian Time, then you are more demented and twisted that even I could imagine or comprehend, or at least equally or slightly more eccentric than even I.

Fnord. :cheese:

I am not altogether sure you can move to vote a motion that has been withdrawn. Certainly if I were speaker I would not allow it.

Also my point was not disappointment that THIS motion was not going to vote. It is a waste of time because nobody has much heard of discordianism. My disappointment is that nobody seems to be investing time and imagination in religious systems (scriptures, hymns, events etc) that will get them to the point where the wider body politic recognises their value and votes for them to be officially recognised.

I would urge you to spend some time building up discordianism. eventually you may get it to the point where you can propose a motion like this with some chance of success.

There is nothing that prevents me from putting this to vote after someone withdraws the bill. However, Flem is right that there is a certain silliness in allowing something that I was supposed to withdraw to go into formal debate.

The motion to vote is denied, and the thread shall be locked. If plembobria wishes to put this to vote again, open a new thread.

Back