OOC: The Rise of the National Sonacist Party

Did I do a bad?

I mean, if so, I can totally fudge the numbers. Make it .2%, but that puts me at 88000 total.

EDIT: Would dropping it to 1% of total population work? (440000 troops) and setting about half to inactive reserve be better?

Keep in mind two things, by the way, of Imperium's commitment.

1) A large proportion of the 250,000 are drawn from our reserves. Imperium was mobilized already, for the war against King Albert and Gunrei, and the fact that we had not demobilized is of in-character importance. They will not be operating as capably as other nations in the war. Our strategy here is to use numbers to hold off Rhuvish professional troops, and use superior equipment to subdue them (two fairly-good missiles are better than one good one, if you don't particularly care what you hit or how far away it is).

2) A large proportion of the 250,000 are not intended to be combat troops - 100,000 of them represent the logistics and administration behind our naval and aerial deployment (including maintenance, design, and construction), of which only a few thousand people are actually in the field. The deployment of the full 100,000 is used as a short-hand, ICly, due to Imperium's feudal origins. Another 50,000 are actually police officers, of which 10,000 are minimally armed as patrol officers and administrative staff.

Yera, I'll help you out on military numbers... You say your nation has a rough population of 44 million people which is close to Callaici's 42 million person population. Callaici has a military strength of 210,000 which is 0.5% of the nation's population. Then, the Callaician reserves sit at 84,000 which is 0.2% of my nation's population.

My total military strength is significantly higher than these numbers but that is due to the fact that it is the combined military strength of Kalti, Callaici and Andalucia.

Edit: Just for a real life comparison... The United States has an active military number sitting around 1.3 million personnel. That makes up roughly 0.42% of the entire population of the United States. Furthermore, the US Reserves sits around 850,000 personnel which makes up roughly 0.2% of the entire population of the United States.

Consider my history, as it sits defined right now. While not overly mindful of external invasions, a 50 odd year old civil war sets a rather high need for military to provide safety from dissidents. Now that stability has taken place, the need for military has become less immediate, but much of the original force remains.

While a valid point, it still makes for a lopsided military. The largest military in the region would be the Kannexians and even then I don't think their military personnel total exceeds 1% of their population (he has around 200 million people in his population). You would have to ask him though for a more concrete number.

My army is fairly small, but the air force and the navy are well-funded and well-staffed. This is mainly because armies on the ground lead to more casualties, and in many cases these days we don't see the need to hold land.

Yeraennus:
Syrixia:
Yeraennus:
Syrixia:
Yeraennus just screwed itself over.

So bad.

#TeamImperium
There are 44000 Yeraenn military troops in Rhuvanland currently, and another 76 divisions waiting over in Yeraennus itself. This isn't including K'ter Family operatives. I should be fine.
44,000?! How many soldiers does your military have in total?!
Two percent active body of 44 million people (rough population of Yeraennus) is 880000 people. Two percent active body isn't even that much compared to RL, to be honest.
What the actual fuck?

Yeraennus:
Did I do a bad?

I mean, if so, I can totally fudge the numbers. Make it .2%, but that puts me at 88000 total.

EDIT: Would dropping it to 1% of total population work? (440000 troops) and setting about half to inactive reserve be better?
Maybe 0.6-0.8%? What's your population?

Wolfsea has 7 million total out of our 11 million population but the military runs everything so even plumbers are classified as active personnel, our actual "army" is only 2 million with the air force and navy making another million on top of that. Other organisations like the Heraldic orders (Imperial Guards, Imperial Ravens, the religious orders) do not count towards regular forces either. The rest are either Academy students or retirees.

Syrixia:
Yeraennus:
Did I do a bad?

Maybe 0.6-0.8%? What's your population?
Did you not read the previous comment you quoted? I rounded to 44 mil for math, but it's closer to 47 mil.

Wolfsea:
Wolfsea has 7 million total out of our 11 million population but the military runs everything so even plumbers are classified as active personnel, our actual "army" is only 2 million with the air force and navy making another million on top of that. Other organisations like the Heraldic orders (Imperial Guards, Imperial Ravens, the religious orders) do not count towards regular forces either. The rest are either Academy students or retirees.
Cuba by comparison has 11 million people as well, and their military has only 49,000 active personnel. Even if Cuba went Fulgencio Batista-style again and became a stratocracy they could never have 2 million soldiers. China has 1.3 billion people and THEIR military is smaller than Wolfsea's.

WTF?

Syrixia:
Wolfsea:
Cuba by comparison has 11 million people as well, and their military has only 49,000 active personnel. Even if Cuba went Fulgencio Batista-style again and became a stratocracy they could never have 2 million soldiers. China has 1.3 billion people and THEIR military is smaller than Wolfsea's.

WTF?
Just bumping this so Wolfsea sees it. This post is concerning Yeraenn's military.

@Yer: I did the math and 0.7% of 47mil is 329,000. That seems decent, agreeable and realistic. Do you like it?

It's up to Yeraennus and Wolfsea (And everyone else for that matter) to decide what things like military numbers in their nations. Whilst these numbers can raise eyebrows sometimes, if they aren't just throwing troops at you in an RP, raising the realism (or lack thereof) of these numbers should only be done in an appropriate setting.

I.E. not this topic.

Syrixia:
Syrixia:
Wolfsea:

WTF?
Just bumping this so Wolfsea sees it. This post is concerning Yeraenn's military.

@Yer: I did the math and 0.7% of 47mil is 329,000. That seems decent, agreeable and realistic. Do you like it?
If I restructured the divisions it could work maybe. The problem is, it's a weird number to divide into neatly, which is what I'm trying to do for the sake of my own sanity.

Yeraennus doesn't have any troops in Rhuvanland yet, save the operatives which would be small in number.

Just reading some of these posts. Don't forget the DU is supposed to be in-character, nothing should be taken personally. Nations always have their own agendas and will choose to acknowledge somethings and ignore others. Part of the fun.

Yeraennus:
Syrixia:
Syrixia:
Wolfsea:

WTF?

If I restructured the divisions it could work maybe. The problem is, it's a weird number to divide into neatly, which is what I'm trying to do for the sake of my own sanity.
Then just round to 330,000. I rounded with my military. :lol:

That said let's move this discussion. Could someone create a military numbers topic or something?

Yeraennus:
I stated that I was moving 3 divisions into near Rhuvish territory here. Which apparently people missed.
Then they are en route, not in Rhuvanland. There are still Rhuvish naval defenses, coastal defenses, etc.

Yeraennus is on the other end of the map... furthermore, Rhuvanland is on an island. Let's say you land in uncharted territory (or invaded Pelhafor, in which you would have much resistance) and marched all the way to the Rhuvish borders. Not only would your supply lines be incredibly long, but the movement of three divisions isn't hard to spot and they'd be stopped at or before the Rhuvish borders. There is no way to 'sneak' in three divisions.

Kannex:
Yeraennus:
I stated that I was moving 3 divisions into near Rhuvish territory here. Which apparently people missed.
Then they are en route, not in Rhuvanland. There are still Rhuvish naval defenses, coastal defenses, etc.
And the nuclear research. I'm going to have them make a bomb but it'll happen much later when the war is raging.

So basically, there are no Yeraenn troops in Rhuvanland.

Yeah, Rhuvanland treats Taiji as Mexico.

Syrixia, are you responding to the hostage crisis?

I'm gonna in a bit when I get home. I plan to have Amelia locked up in a prison in the bunker below the Chancellery.

Hint: you'll be seeing more of this bunker later.

I never said there were. I said there were 3 divisions of ground troops being deployed to Rhuvanland, though the number of troops in a division dropped by 1000. So there's now 10000 Yeraenn vo'lija en route directly to Althafen.

Yeraennus:
Syrixia:

So bad.

#TeamImperium
There are 44000 Yeraenn military troops in Rhuvanland currently, and another 76 divisions waiting over in Yeraennus itself. This isn't including K'ter Family operatives. I should be fine.
Then you have made a mistake.

Yeraennus:
That was a typo, and is no longer relevant. You can stop being a dick about it now.
He wasn't trying to being a dick. :P
He was being a badass. :w00t:

The sniping and pointless inane chatter stops now. I will close this topic if it doesn't.

Kannex:
Yeraennus:
Syrixia:

So bad.

#TeamImperium
Then you have made a mistake.
Nierr's warning post sparked an intent to re-evaluate Kannex's post. It could be a joke about Yeraennus fighting against the Imperium, etc etc. as I noted, however it could also be just plain bashing Yeraennus for his typo.

If the latter is the case, I would agree; this should stop. If it is the former, then perhaps Kannex should word his jokes in a manner so as to not offend.

:2c:

Back