Map Discussion Thread

The main RPI island isn't a priority for me. I'm too busy being happy about getting the land closer to home.

Speaking of which, excellent work Nierr.

Regarding colonies - I'm thinking about switching TNP nations to a small empire with a short history of colonialism. Would I then get to claim those colonies in my initial claim on the map?

No, to be honest. I'd need to see some RP from you first before entertaining any colonies. The same goes for anyone else who wants expansions, colonies or anything like that.

I'm going to be going through the map and seeing which colonies and even countries I can remove due to people not RPing.

I have something very big in store for our Silvia Peninsula colony, in an RP that will take place soon (when all of the current RPs die down, 'cause it's quite busy).

The Physical map feels a bit too green. I suggest that it should be like this in a way:
  • The Farther North it gets more cold and snowy
  • The Farther West should get mountainous
  • The Farther East should be tropical
  • The Farther South should be more hot and desert-y

Arux:
The Physical map feels a bit too green. I suggest that it should be like this in a way:
Uhh... The physical map is a relief map, showing elevations of various areas above sea level. Also, putting one area to a set biome is bad, because most people will want their own canon environment. Just to inform you.

Xentherida:
Arux:
Uhh... The physical map is a relief map, showing elevations of various areas above sea level. Also, putting one area to a set biome is bad, because most people will want their own canon environment. Just to inform you.
Yeah. For example, Syrixia by your logic should be really cold, but it's a tropical paradise.

I hate to say it, but Arux has a point here. Not with regards to the design of the map, but with regards to distance from the poles and temperature. Southern and northern nations would both be cold. We couldn't have, for example, nations bordering each other side-by-side, with completely different temperature patterns.

I fervently disagree. That undermines a nation's right to choose their geography. I will unequivocally oppose any and all attempts by the cartographers to control my, or anyone else's, geography.

Syrixia:
I fervently disagree. That undermines a nation's right to choose their geography. I will unequivocally oppose any and all attempts by the cartographers to control my, or anyone else's, geography.
That's what a map is for. Choose an area that resembles your geography.

You are literally saying that your nation can control the weather. Anyway, the cartographers are not forcing geography or anything else. People can recognize (or not recognize) whatever they want as canon. However, it is appropriate for us to establish suggested guidelines for realism.

That is what the RP section of the culture ministry has always done, and that is what I am doing now.

Arux:
Syrixia:
That's what a map is for. Choose an area that resembles your geography.
The map, as far as I know, never had any law saying that I had to put my claims in a specific zone. It is MY nation, which means what is inside that nation is MINE to decide. I shouldn't even be bothering with this; the very idea of such is ridiculous! This is not an oligarchy. I have my rights!

EDIT: I understand that you are trying to improve realism, but this is going one step too far.

Took a closer read. Guidelines are fine, as long as we are in no way forced or obligated to abide by them. That's what suggested guidelines mean.

EDIT: And that also means people shouldn't change their very geography just because of these guidelines. They should just exist.

Syrixia:
EDIT: I understand that you are trying to improve realism, but this is going one step too far.
Once again I am not forcing anything on anyone. I have simply stated what is realistic and what is not. A tropical paradise near the south pole is laughably unrealistic, unless climate change has caught up with us all and all the equatorial nations have actually burned completely. :w00t:

I myself wanted Plembobria to be at least subtropical, but when we decided Eras was a planet I realized that was no longer the case. We all have to learn to be flexible.

plembobria:
Syrixia:
Once again I am not forcing anything on anyone. I have simply stated what is realistic and what is not. A tropical paradise near the south pole is laughably unrealistic, unless climate change has caught up with us all and all the equatorial nations have actually burned completely. :w00t:
Ik. :blush: Read the post below that post which you've quoted.

To be perfectly honest, two of my three nations (Kalti and Tir na Andalucia) are northern and to use a real world example, would have a climate similar to that of the Scandinavian countries (Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Iceland). Warm summers and cool winters, rolling hills and mountains. So while I have never agreed to the guidelines and follow them as cannon, I do have a precedent within my nation that defines what the geography is and thankfully it matches up relatively well.

Edit: Callaici has a more southern climate and would be closer to that of modern day Germany or Switzerland. Still warm summers and cool winters but not such drastic temperature drops in the winter time.

Taking a second look at the map, I wouldn't say Syrixia would be really could, probably more of the climate of South Africa. Maybe Australia.

I personally make the assumption that the map cuts off before the south poll.

Looked on the Internet for stuff about South African temperatures. That doesn't seem too farfetched. I'm thinking nice and tropical springs and summers, temperate falls, and cool but not cold winters.

Actually, that's something I'd like seen, as an addition to the map nexus! A map of Eras with lines of longitude and latitude, so that we can get a better view of our climate. An equator, and names for two tropics would be cool.

EDIT: Edited the map on paint to include an equator. A lot further north than I thought. It's just south of Salvarity, it goes through the very north of Esplandia and Sirisea, the very top of Añola, the top of the McMasterdonian island, and then through the middle of McMasterdonia. It also goes through the middle of the Lancerian Empire, Francovania, Zyvetskistaahn, the middle of Imperium Augustum, and through the very tops of Nierr, The Hinterland and Alta Italia.

I suspect this is because of the landmass on which Tir na Andalucia is located, shifting it up. To be honest, I had pictured it going through Eumenor.

Map including the equator, which is a thin black line:

dLG4vas.png

Xentherida:
Actually, that's something I'd like seen, as an addition to the map nexus! A map of Eras with lines of longitude and latitude, so that we can get a better view of our climate. An equator, and names for two tropics would be cool.

EDIT: Edited the map on paint to include an equator. A lot further north than I thought. It's just south of Salvarity, it goes through the very north of Esplandia and Sirisea, the very top of Añola, the top of the McMasterdonian island, and then through the middle of McMasterdonia. It also goes through the middle of the Lancerian Empire, Francovania, Zyvetskistaahn, the middle of Imperium Augustum, and through the very tops of Nierr, The Hinterland and Alta Italia.

I suspect this is because of the landmass on which Tir na Andalucia is located, shifting it up. To be honest, I had pictured it going through Eumenor.
I think it can be set anywhere we can agree on. Assuming that Eras is Earth-sized, the distance between each degree of latitude is 111.2 km; and then with the scale of 1 pixel=4km^2, the north-south distance is 10,064 km ~ roughly 90 degrees in width. It's like we have a whole hemisphere for us. That is if my assumptions are true. ;)

Keep in mind that where you put the Equator is also going to affect your climate and flora and fauna. That also has to be taken into consideration.

Syrixia:
Technically, since it's my map, I could decide the area where your claim is has a climate similar to the Arctic. It wouldn't be realistic nor would I ever want to, but that's a thing I can do.
Syrixia:
This is not an oligarchy. I have my rights!
This is, in fact, an oligarchy. Your rights extend for as far and as much as I let them. This is because you and everyone else is actually using my intellectual property for the base RP within TNP.

Just because I am a benevolent overlord doesn't mean I am not, in fact, an overlord.

Regardless of the above, climate may not actually be as varied as people think. Our world is actually kinda small, with even the biggest claim (GBM's) being just under the size of Peru.

I have purposefully avoided placing things like poles and equators onto the map for two reasons:1. because I have always operated under the assumption that TNP shares a world with TEP and TSP at the very least and 2. to allow for as much free-form RP as possible, so that if you want to RP a certain climate, you can. I encourage rpers to work with their immediate neighbours on things like climate but I'm not going to make that mandatory.

Nierr:
I have always operated under the assumption that TNP shares a world with TEP and TSP at the very least
Yes, I think we should generally treat our map as a "beyond here be dragons" scenario - this is not the entirety of our world, but the outsides are undiscoverable. Giant sea monsters eat exporers who go that way, maybe. World is a spinning disc and water falls off at the edges. Handwaving. :P

The consequences of this are that there is no real way to set an equator or lines of longitude, and you cannot go east to go west - our map doesn't wrap around.

It's not a perfect set-up. There is no justifiable reason, in the age of airplanes and satellites and submarines and so on, why we wouldn't have a full world map at this point. No sea monsters are that omnipresent and invincible, hence the handwaving of why we don't have a complete map. The alternative would just be to have a full one, with pre-set areas of various temperatures, and make people play around the settings rather than being able to set their own. That also has some benefits, but the downside is that we can't join up with other regions' maps if we decided we wanted to unless we planned it out in advance. It also makes things less flexible if we want to stop having other regions on the map, or if we change maps (like if mj tomorrow is like "nah screw you no more map" and we have to make a new one from scratch).

Planet Eras must remain Planet Eras, so WE can shape OUR RP world. If we join the Multiverse, any change we make to our world will be godmoddery. Plus, other regions will have to get involved in our RP politics and that's too complicated. A bunch of regions that are completely separate from one another but share a world? Preposterous.

Syrixia:
If we join the Multiverse, any change we make to our world will be godmoddery.
This is not how god-modding works.
Plus, other regions will have to get involved in our RP politics and that's too complicated.
I'm not sure how you can justify that it's "too" complicated, but the interrelationships would be the point (and part of the fun) of joint regional maps.
A bunch of regions that are completely separate from one another but share a world? Preposterous.
Why is that preposterous? North America and Australia are completely separate continents, but share a world. :)

We are the north pacific, and other regions are other pacifics. It's not like Nierr is the first person to come up with the idea of making a Pacifican map (with us at - you guessed it - the northern part).

If we're going by the nation sizes provided by Lord Lore being absolute, my nation is way too small to be viable for the population I had pre-destined. I would have a population density of Bahrain (1644 vs 1646 for Bahrain), with ten times the population however, which I don't know if it's viable for my attempt at playing a Middle Power. Therefore I'd like to request either one of two things. I do not want both because that would be pointless work for the map team. :P

Either something like this.

It's a pretty easy fix for the population density issue, just add more land area. It looks to roughly quadruple the size of my nation which would put me near the population density of Japan (397 per square km), which is still fairly high but much more workable.

Another solution is to go full Bahrain. This is what I was thinking.

This doesn't fix the population density but it adds a way to fix it. These dots and such could be cities that draw their supplies and quality of life from less populated areas around them that aren't necessarily Salvarity.

I am completely fine with pixel/km method of determining nation size, but I didn't realize how small my nation really was. I would have to significantly reduce my nation population to have a more bearable and realistic population density but then I'd have no power projection and for all intents and purposes be irrelevant. :/ . I'd rather just have the nation be larger or try for the creative solution.[/url]

Andrew:
Dont remove me :(
Quick question; not to be rude but I'm just curious: have you done, like, any RP at all in recent years that would justify your continued place on the map?

Again; just curious. No offense.

Syrixia:
Andrew:
Dont remove me :(
Quick question; not to be rude but I'm just curious: have you done, like, any RP at all in recent years that would justify your continued place on the map?

Again; just curious. No offense.
Better question for someone who's actually a cartographer to ask, maybe.

Back