RolePlay Moderator
-
Deputy Speaker
-
-
-
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Hello, it’s me, sorry for the lack of shiny graphics.

The start of this platform will be fairly downbeat for someone who wants to lead The North Pacific going forward into a bright new future, but one theme running through my platforms during my time here has been realism. I am, at the fundamental level, a realist, in terms of what can be achieved and what should be expected. I’ve also stood for delegate before, and you can see those platforms here and here, along with my more recent (and more successful!) Speaker platforms here and here.

The North Pacific is no longer the largest game created region on Nationstates. Whether it becomes so again is really neither here nor there. There are changes coming in Nationstates and we are in line to receive 50% less nations than before, when the admins Frontier/Stronghold idea is implemented. This, coupled with other changes designed to make user created regions more viable and the gcrs more dynamic, likely mean we are headed into a period of admin-induced decline. At least, in terms of numbers.

That doesn’t have to be a bad thing. It will mean we have to be more outgoing, more co-operative in how we conduct ourselves in Nationstates gameplay in order to compete, both with new game mechanics and with a hopefully prospering group of UCRs. These are opportunities much more than they are obstacles.

I have been, in some form of another, in a position of authority and power in The North Pacific for most of the last 6 years. Whether serving as the Lead Roleplay Moderator or as a member of the Cabinet - either as a minister or advisor - or as the Speaker of the Regional Assembly, I have always sought to be three things: honest, reforming and decisive, even to the detriment of my own status or projects.

In that time, I have served with and under some of the greatest figures The North Pacific has ever had. Whether I agreed with them or not, liked them or not, I learnt something from all of them and I believe that experience would be invaluable as delegate. I have made mistakes, as we all do, and some of mine have been larger than others will ever make. But I learn from my mistakes, and don’t repeat them.

It’s tempting to exaggerate the problems the North Pacific has and paint a picture of myself as the only person who can solve them, but that wouldn’t be honest. TNP is a community that boasts any number of people who can, could and do propose solutions for problems and the community as a whole then decides the best way forward. Any number of people could have different solutions to the problems I see facing us and some of you will likely not see some of them as problems in need of a solution.

These are some of the problems that I see facing us, based on what I’ve experienced in the region over the past term and many terms before it:
  1. Over-reliance on tools and tech without adequate backups or alternatives.
  2. Resurgent political defenderism growing in Nationstates and causing potential rifts with our allies.
  3. Ministries largely reliant on one or two staffers, leaving activity to dry up when those staffers move upwards to leadership roles or onwards to other places.
Three major problems facing The North Pacific. We can agree or disagree with regards to which is more serious or whether there are other, more serious problems that we should be addressing, but these are the three I see as being ones that could and should be addressed.

And so that’s what we’ll do.

On the first problem:
Let me be clear here, our tech is great. We have one of the greatest assemblies of tools and sheets and tech ever created in NationStates, from the scripts that help the Speaker’s Office check activity, to our retaliatory recruitment stuff, and everything in-between.

But to be equally clear, the decline of our tech infrastructure this term has been obvious to see to anyone involved in our government. The absence of people able to give access to sheets and tools at the start of the term meant we were running behind from the off, coupled with a card gifting system that had been announced and ‘implemented’ despite the tech infrastructure existing only in theoretical terms.

It wasn’t acceptable and must never happen again.

To that end, I’m proposing that my administration would undertake a wholescale review of all the tech involved in the government of TNP, identifying areas of vulnerability, ensuring proper access is sought and given and being very public about what we don’t have or can’t use. We must be loud about these issues.

As well, this review would have a secondary goal in mind - to find areas where manual, duplicate or backup systems could be implemented in order to ensure that, should we lose access to tech or should it break, we could still operate as close to as effectively as we were before. This wouldn’t be a refocusing on manual work, but it would not discount it.

Without putting a hard date on when this review would report, I would hope that we could have something to present to the Regional Assembly before the midway point of the term.
On the second problem:
It’s no secret that we began this term with relations between ourselves and our oldest allies The South Pacific at a low ebb, but we approached the issue between our two regions maturely and openly, coming to an agreement that was amenable to both parties. Such an agreement would’ve been amenable also to my predecessor in this role, but the distance in time between January and June clearly was needed in order to fix the issue.

Issues between ourselves and TSP were partially created by a resurgence in political defenderism elsewhere, an ideology we’ve historically had a poor relationship with. Whilst we should and do respect TSP’s choice to be a defender region and to align themselves further with political defender regions, that does not mean a parting of ways between our two regions - there’s more things we have in common than we don’t and our long partnership shows that.

What the resurgence of political defenderism means is that we must be more vigilant in how we approach that sphere. The actions of Ten Thousand Islands, both public and private, over the years has proven that despite what they might claim about having changed and being less extreme than in the past, they haven’t changed all that much and still consider Independent regions to be raiders in all but name.

Our response to that should be clear - no rapprochement with XKI, even when they complete their cycle of outward hostility towards us and seek to reopen relations as they have done in the past, and we should also seek to reinforce the Independent sphere. In this piece for the recent Independence Summit in Europeia, I argue that TNP and the other signatories of the Independent Manifesto have been left behind by the new generation of Independent regions. As delegate, I would seek to catch up and help lead the sphere once again.
On the third problem:
Kasto’s great, isn’t he? Greater Cesnica, also fantastic. Sarah in culture, Skaraborg in Home Affairs. There’s a number of talented and effective staffers in each of the ministries (and some in multiple!) who form the backbone of our executive staff and have done so for many years. This is one of our many strengths as a region.

And this system of relying on one or two staffers has largely worked, thanks to those names and faces being replaced by people who are equally talented or enthusiastic for the role they’re in, and that has helped keep ministries ticking over, even when the Ministers themselves might not be effective or active.

Sometimes it doesn’t, however, and I feel like this is a problem that we could increasingly see, as our player base falls and we see fewer people coming into the region. The problem facing us isn’t easily addressed, because it’s difficult to increase that flow of personnel when our pool of talent is shrinking, but it is one I think we can manage and mitigate.

TNP’s government relationship with its own RMB community is… complicated. We periodically go through moments in time where it’s viewed as a tool for promotion and engagement and then we switch things up, and you have people who should know better actively getting involved in belittling the RMB and the people who use it as their primary form of engagement in NS.

That’s a two way street as well, as there are those on the RMB who would much prefer to get rid of the forum and discord government and just do everything on NS, but still ask for the TNP government’s help for their projects and seek to be promoted by our programs.

It’s a relationship that I think we can change. We should use the RMB for engagement and promotion, yes, but that should come naturally. It should come by just being active and engaged on the RMB. It’s a fast moving place, yes, but with notifications it’s no more difficult to follow than a discord channel. It’s possible and we should do it.

As well as this low level (as in passive, rather than infrequent) activity, what I think could help out here is bringing back Q&As to the RMB, with the Gameside Advocates helping to publicise this program. I think regular weekly or fortnightly Q&As with the delegate would be an excellent idea, as well as Q&As with each Minister - ideally I’d see these as each minister doing these twice a term, once in the first half, and again in the last month of the term.

This kind of activity - both at the low and high level - brings the RMB further into the community and hopefully can be used as a new pool of recruitment for the executive government.
As well these three problems, that will be the work of the whole government to come together and help address, I think that I should out what it is you could expect from a MadJack delegacy in terms of each department:

Foreign Affairs
Part of my remit for the past term was to update the World Factbook Project, a job that we’ve worked on throughout the term and is nearing completion. This will occur, either in the last days of this administration or the first days of the next one.

Over my time as Minister, I’ve sought to act as a consensus builder when I’ve thought that TNP must act - many voices saying the same thing is often more effective than a lone voice in the wind - as can be seen in the Joint Statement on Force, made with the United Regions Alliance, The West Pacific and the New Pacific Order, and in how we’ve approached the Civil Defence Siren, with updates only made after consultation with and agreement from the other Pacifics.

With that in mind, I’d be appointing a minister who would be willing to continue to work with that style in mind. Being visibly active both here and abroad (and yes, that means NSGP), is a requirement in this role. You don’t need to be making hundreds or even dozens of posts a day or anything, but you must be aware of what’s going on in the wider NS world.

That kind of awareness is something that we should be asking of our ambassadors as well. In the last few days - much too late, if I’m being honest with myself, I should’ve realised this much much sooner - I’ve realised that as well as reporting on government changes and significant events in the regions we have relations with, our ambassadors should be reporting significant administrative bans to us as well, just to help us ensure problematic OOC people aren’t allowed to be freely part of our government and systems also. This kind of thing can help us avoid some of the situations we’ve seen over the last few months.

With the above in mind, we’d be adding an admin side to our ambassador reports, generally asking for the ambassadors to tell us about the bans, and then we could follow up as needed. Some might see this as an unneeded government step into a realm forum administration should be in, but I think it’s necessary, to avoid situations where we have long standing staffers in TNP who are better known under aliases elsewhere who may have engaged in some reprehensible actions. I removed one such staffer from the Ministry during this term.
Defence
Despite what I can only describe as the worst summer lull in NS history, over the last four months, I’ve been personally impressed by how the NPA has operated. Whilst, yes, we’d love to do lots more operations, both individually and with friends, I’ve not found too many reasons to complain, given the circumstances the NPA has found itself in.

When we’ve gone toe-to-toe with Libcord, the NPA has acquitted itself admirably, pulling off some remarkable winning runs, and implementing impressive tactical gambits. We get better every update, no matter the result.

With numbers recovering over the next four months, I’d be expecting the NPA to up the frequency of operations, working with friends and alone if need be. I don’t see any particular need to pivot towards one faction or another (despite what some say, we’re not raiders and we have no responsibility to prop up that faction), but I’d be looking for the NPA to work in much the same way it’s operated this term, just more frequently.

Although one thing I’d certainly discuss with my Minister of Defence and the NPA High Command is a return of the Daily Pile operations that took place last year, after seeing a few people advocating their return in the last few weeks, I think it’s definitely something the NPA can look at.

The NPA functions as a part of our foreign affairs, as well as a space for fun and competition, and balancing that will be a goal this term. With that in mind, we’ll be looking at what we can do to keep things fun, and I think that one area to explore is a more liberal use of Clause 33 exemptions.
World Assembly Affairs
WAA was one of our best performing ministries over the last four months, despite some upheaval at the leadership end of the spectrum. We should seek to continue this excellent work over the next term.

I’m not sure this is a ministry that really needs all that much in terms of shiny new programs or grand revamps of anything. The Accelerator Program, when used, works well and our work within WALL has been effective this term. We also are host to a large number of successful authors and co-authors, which just speaks to the long term success of this ministry. Whoever is the next minister would do well to maintain this current success.

Speaking of WALL, over the last term there’s been effective efforts to revitalise WALL’s presence on the main NS site. We’ve updated the WALL topic op finally, and we will hopefully have the ability to make regular updates to that topic as well. We also recently put out a joint, WA-wide WALL response to the Partnership for Sovereignty’s own WA-wide telegram. I wouldn’t expect more WA-wide responses from my delegacy, but it was the right choice to do one, and we would seek to make WALL a more proactive, and potentially larger, organisation than it currently is.
Cards
The Ministry of Cards has been our most troubled ministry over the last term, which is unfortunate, as the establishment of the Ministry was widely praised both in TNP and elsewhere around the world. It has been a major struggle to work around tech breakages and a lack of activity.

Despite this, there is some potential in the ministry still. Current minister Morover has an interesting project exploring the history of notable cards that I think would be a good program for the Ministry as it seeks to recover from its malaise.

This section may seem a bit depressing to those currently in the Ministry and I just want to reassure them that your efforts to correct the situation over this term have been seen and appreciated. After taking over Morover has done good work, supported by DGES and 9003.

But it must be more. I see no value in keeping around a ministry that just doesn’t work, so over the next four months a lot of emphasis will be put on getting the Ministry back to an acceptable level. It doesn’t even have to be a high level, but it has to be viable, especially as Season 3 appears to actually be happening this year.

For this to happen, the Ministry will need an effective tech backing, either through the finished development of the card gifting system, or by seeking access to the TNL nation itself in order to gift cards manually. That means either ensuring those who currently have access to it are active and helping, rather than hindering us, or seeking to add another person to have access to the account, because the current status quo isn’t sustainable.

It must change.
Communications
Communications operated at a steady rate of releases over the last term, with five Polaris articles in total being written and released. The desired foreign authorship content to make up The Northern Lights did not appear, however, and the future of this publication needs to be addressed.

Polaris is excellent for getting content out when it pops up, and we should continue its work. The Northern Lights is a more difficult publication to organise around, and hoping for foreign authorship content to make up for a lack of homegrown TNL authorship isn’t going to fulfil the gap, that much is clear.

The Northern Lights can be one of our greatest assets in showcasing our community, and I think we have to seek to maintain that reputation. This means, I think, taking it in a newer direction. Instead of looking for foreign authorship or to focus on special issues, TNL should be a general issue, twice or thrice termly published magazine showcasing the best of our creative talents and specially produced articles. This is an ambitious goal, but one I think that’s possible to achieve with enough support from the rest of the government.
Home Affairs
This is a real easy ministry to set goals for, even if those goals might not seem all too ambitious. Over the past term, and especially the last month, Home Affairs has operated in a really effective fashion, reaching out and contacting almost 6,500 nations. This is excellent.

As for what we’d do next term, it’s very much just about continuing that work, making sure lists are completed, lines are claimed and nations are contacted. The Birthday Taskforce instituted by New Celoveniortan is a really cool idea too that we should definitely continue.
Radio
After a slow start, the Ministry of Radio is back on track under new Minister GAP, who I think has adapted to executive government very well. It’s a promising beginning to his career here, and I have high hopes for whatever he might do next term or in the future.

The diversification of Radio content needs to continue. It’s wonderful to see the RP Spotlight continue under Pax but it can’t go back to being the only content Radio puts out. A Call to Serve and the recent addition of the TNP Round Table are excellent series that should continue… and we should be open to introducing other content, such as talk shows or improv shows or game shows and that can be used to help the region get involved with our other stuff. I think we can continue to develop the Ministry of Radio, and we should look to do so.

One thing I’ve noticed with Radio, however, is that it’s too focussed on just delivering content via Discord. Once a show goes up, it gets linked on Discord, with a ping and then nothing else. We need to go back to making sure it gets posted on the forum, and it can be posted about on the RMB and just like we have indexes of NSL articles in dispatches, we should seek to make and update one for Radio also.
Culture
This is my wheelhouse, and indeed, I went into this term expecting to be Culture Minister again, before I was asked to move over to Foreign Affairs. I took the opportunity to step in a different direction happily, but also with a tinge of regret. I was leaving what was, in my opinion, a role I had only just begun to thrive in.

I helped convince Prydania to take the role and I think he’s done an excellent job in the quieter summer months. There is always more we can do however. Theme Thursday has gone well and I liked the introduction of The Masquerade, but they’re similar things, and didn’t really interact all that well. The Masquerade will continue, but as part of a revamped Theme Thursday, with Masquerades taking place on Theme Thursdays that are particularly suited for Masquerades, like movies or specific decades or cities or genres.

As well as this, we have to finally admit that we aren’t going to get enough banners to make a banner contest viable. It’s a specific graphic request that is harder to do than memes or flags or similar. So instead we should find a graphics person, and get them to make one. It’s a minor thing.

The vast majority of work in Culture is the kind of low level activity I’ve mentioned previously. It’s important that everyone contributes to that kind of activity but over the autumn we probably have our biggest high level event activity. With both Z-Day and N-Day, some of our own holidays, Christmas, Halloween and the likely release of Season 3 of Cards, we have a busy, busy term ahead. I know that N-Day plans are already underway and we’ll continue those - and with Z-Day we will put the decision on what we do to the region again. Let’s continue our excellent streak once again!
Everything Else
As well as all of this, there are certain things that don’t fit to a single ministry or any of the ministries. The Gameside Advocates will obviously continue and I expect to appoint a diverse team that reflects the region and its community. Rocketdog and his team have done a good job this term, dealing with some particularly obnoxious spammers.

We should, I think, review our procedures for dealing with those spammers and the like. With the last few, they were using posting scripts, so that the RMB was getting hit by several messages a second. In that instance, I think we should return to banjecting such nations - there is no significant influence cost and the spammer might find changing their script to target TRR more effort than they can bother to do. Sometimes they give up rather easily.

I think both delegate and ministry reports are an excellent way to inform the region of what we’re doing, and if elected, I’d be requiring my ministers to release longer monthly reports, or shorter weekly/two weekly reports as I have been doing this term.

I’m aware that I’m sometimes something of a divisive figure. I am stubborn in my convictions and I sometimes continue to hammer a point across long after everyone gets it and in many cases, even agrees with me. To apologise for this wouldn’t be honest so I can only be open and transparent about it.

My intention this term is to try to keep the number of legal cases filed against me this term to a minimum. Let’s aim for zero, and if we hit it, great. If we don’t… well I tried.
Conclusions
I have tried, throughout the last 6 years or so that I’ve been part of The North Pacific, to contribute to the region, to help improve it and sustain it, in my own way. I think at this point I’ve shown myself to be dedicated to TNP above all other regions, ambitions or distractions.

And I very much hope that, should I be elected, I will do the job in such a way that I repay the faith you put in me. Thank you.

Last edited:
I have a few questions.

Will you retain the advisors/chief of staff positions in your administration?

Will taxes be lowered?

In what capacity will @Monkemafiatopia serve in your government?

I have a few questions.

Will you retain the advisors/chief of staff positions in your administration?

Will taxes be lowered?

In what capacity will @Monkemafiatopia serve in your government?
I'm still undecided on the need for a Chief of Staff position, though if I do retain it, I do have a name in mind for the role. I will absolutely be keeping the advisors, and intend to appoint a fairly wide array of advisors.

Taxes will remain largely the same, but the tax burden may shift a touch.

Chimp will serve in an appropriate capacity should Chimp wish to. I think he can do good work in Radio or any other ministry.

I'm still undecided on the need for a Chief of Staff position, though if I do retain it, I do have a name in mind for the role. I will absolutely be keeping the advisors, and intend to appoint a fairly wide array of advisors.

Taxes will remain largely the same, but the tax burden may shift a touch.

Chimp will serve in an appropriate capacity should Chimp wish to. I think he can do good work in Radio or any other ministry.
1. Oh that sounds exciting.

2. Why are you going to tax the lower income people more?

3. Will Chimp be appointed Minister of Radio?

2. Why are you going to tax the lower income people more?

3. Will Chimp be appointed Minister of Radio?
2. Who said that was happening?

3. That's not currently in my thinking - but I know they're in the Ministry, and I like the work they do.

Since I know someone will ask, and I sincerely promise this is not purely self-interested though some will say it is, who do you have in mind to lead the Ministries should you be elected?

Since I know someone will ask, and I sincerely promise this is not purely self-interested though some will say it is, who do you have in mind to lead the Ministries should you be elected?
I heard Chimp will be Minister of Radio

I have names in mind for certain Ministries, along with back-ups for those names, with a few being set, but I feel like saying any names publicly might be viewed as an attempt to sway them to vote for me.

I do firmly believe that you deserve time in this role you recently were appointed to, so I would plan to seek RA approval to appoint you again.

An interesting, carefully thought out program! And I think I could help making some banners for TNP in the future, if needed. I don't really have any questions right now, but might have later.

Other than that, a realist, well intended program always catch my attention. Nice work MJ :D

Having worked with you over this last term and having been a fellow minister along side you in multiple terms, I was looking forward to this time when you'd want to run again. I admire your policy goals and strategy moving forward, however (what I realize is now years ago) I recall you talking about ways to integrate FA and WA to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of both ministries. Could you expound on that at all if you still hold that belief? If not, what caused you to move away from that belief?

Certainly not what I expected, and that's a good thing. While I think a lot of the effort to get new people in is just wishful thinking, at least you seem like intend to put a lot of effort into addressing it. Props for that at least.

I'm most interested in the proposed tech review, because I absolutely understand how frustrating it is to be using something that's only supported and maintained by someone who is generally inaccessible. Do you think we need to go as far as to require our things to be open source (or at least open to all TNPers), or at a minimum supported by someone easily accessible, or we don't use that tech at all? Things like... The discord bots? Well, those are already open source. The endorsement page and the WADP scripts? Totally closed source, supported by only one person. Is that really acceptable? What tech things do you think need to be replaced, or what can be decommissioned entirely?

I am pleased to see that you intend to get the rmb more involved because rarely our Ministers post (exception when it comes to New Celoveniortan), there are quite few events on the rmb and the only thing the government is connected to the rmb with is suppressing posts. I think this is a good start on getting more staff to the region. Thank you. The Q&A is also a great idea! More interaction with the rmb! Yay!

Two questions:
A lot of Government officials were changed last term. How will you try and keep government officials to stay in office throughout the term?

2. What is your opinion on hamsters?

I think this goes under the Ministry of Culture, but what are your opinions on Nimarya's TNP Book Club? Will you, if any chance, revive it?

There are many bookworms in TNP and I think that it can be explored further.

An interesting, carefully thought out program! And I think I could help making some banners for TNP in the future, if needed. I don't really have any questions right now, but might have later.

Other than that, a realist, well intended program always catch my attention. Nice work MJ :D
I may just hold you to that - I tried to make one for TNP but my graphics skills are not great.
Having worked with you over this last term and having been a fellow minister along side you in multiple terms, I was looking forward to this time when you'd want to run again. I admire your policy goals and strategy moving forward, however (what I realize is now years ago) I recall you talking about ways to integrate FA and WA to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of both ministries. Could you expound on that at all if you still hold that belief? If not, what caused you to move away from that belief?
I still think WA and FA can and should work closely together on a great many things, and with declarations now instituted, I feel like that will be happening - WA and FA came together nicely during the recent Against Quorum Raiding proposal and through WALL we worked to prevent its passage, but I think on the whole, and especially with the GA, much of the work WA does just wouldn't have an effect on our FA. I still think that integration between the two should happen - incorporating Foreign Affairs considerations more regularly into our IFVs seems like a good place to start, and based on a short conversation I had with Boston Castle about his proposed rewrite of the voting policy - something I support - FA considerations in terms of what we're more publicly opposed to will be part of that.
Certainly not what I expected, and that's a good thing. While I think a lot of the effort to get new people in is just wishful thinking, at least you seem like intend to put a lot of effort into addressing it. Props for that at least.
Thank you very much - I'm aware that uptake might be slow, but I'd rather slow than nothing, especially if it brings the RMB and offsite closer together.
Full support!

What is something you have learned from this last term?
I've learnt that both unilateral and multilateral actions have their place, and there's a time when you must act alone, and if need be, apologise after the fact.
I'm most interested in the proposed tech review, because I absolutely understand how frustrating it is to be using something that's only supported and maintained by someone who is generally inaccessible. Do you think we need to go as far as to require our things to be open source (or at least open to all TNPers), or at a minimum supported by someone easily accessible, or we don't use that tech at all? Things like... The discord bots? Well, those are already open source. The endorsement page and the WADP scripts? Totally closed source, supported by only one person. Is that really acceptable? What tech things do you think need to be replaced, or what can be decommissioned entirely?
I think it would be difficult to find open source stuff for certain things which, as you point out, are totally closed source. I'm not a techy or a coder but if I could, I'd certainly be trying to replicate or duplicate what we currently have, and either making that open source, or at the very least known to more than just myself. I'd try and keep as much of the code as privacy or security concerns allow in as many hands as possible. At the very least, the entire TNP admin team should have access to the code or a copy of the code and be able to take steps to implement it should the need arise.

The days of relying on a single person for our tech stuff need to end, and hopefully this tech review will help with that. As for things that need to be replaced or decommissioned? The Cards gifting service, to my understand, exists in theory only. Which means that to actually gift cards, someone with access to the TNL nation has to log in and manually do it. It's a bit of a faff, but I'd much rather keep that status quo - so long as manually gifting is happening regularly - than rely on tech that doesn't currently exist, we don't know when it will exist and when it exists, could break or disappear with the one or two people responsible for its upkeep nowhere to be seen.
I am pleased to see that you intend to get the rmb more involved because rarely our Ministers post (exception when it comes to New Celoveniortan), there are quite few events on the rmb and the only thing the government is connected to the rmb with is suppressing posts. I think this is a good start on getting more staff to the region. Thank you. The Q&A is also a great idea! More interaction with the rmb! Yay!

Two questions:
A lot of Government officials were changed last term. How will you try and keep government officials to stay in office throughout the term?

2. What is your opinion on hamsters?
I don't necessarily think that the high turnover in government was all that bad of a thing - Robes acted to replace Ministers he thought were underperforming and it takes a strong delegate to do that, I've seen some that are content to just let poorly performing ministers remain in office for the whole term. I guess the only things I can do differently in that regard is appoint people who will perform well in the role from very beginning, and manage them effectively to keep that level of competence up.

I like hamsters! Though I do prefer guinea pigs.
I think this goes under the Ministry of Culture, but what are your opinions on Nimarya's TNP Book Club? Will you, if any chance, revive it?

There are many bookworms in TNP and I think that it can be explored further.
In Nimarya's delegacy platform in May, I praised the idea and mused that we could use some of what's been posted in the Polaris subforum of the TNP Community Center as some of the books involved. I think the question of whether it's revived or not would depend more on finding people to run it - Nimarya certainly could if she were interested and I think she'd be very good at it, but if she's not available we'd obviously need to find someone from the Culture Ministry.

It's certainly an idea to explore, at the very least.
GOOD LUCK MJ MAD JACK WITH YOUR ELECTION FOR TNP DELEGATE!
Thank you very much. :)

Great platform, especially the tech review part.

Quick question ~ lately there has been some thoughts that if the NPA were to end their one org policy that it would as a result attract more members, and I'm curious to see where you stance is on this.

It’s quite interesting to see you run again, MJ. Despite many challenges you faced last time, you just keep getting back up and fight back stronger than ever. I think that is pretty remarkable and plausible.

One thing I appreciate in this platform is your advocation for greater in-game involvement. I would hesitate to call myself an one-issue voter, because I am not one. But, GA policies means a lot to me. No matter what I did, whether it be serving as a Gameside advocate, or pressing previous delegate campaigns on their stances regarding in-game activity—gameside activity remains an important issue to me. So I’m glad both you, and Dreadton have plans regarding that.

I do have a few questions that I do hope you’ll take the time to answer like the others. I’ll be asking your main opponent similar questions to these as well:

1) What would you say is your biggest strengths (I.e. charisma, getting stuff done, etc.) and weaknesses. Would you say those strengthens will help you if elected, and do you think those weaknesses will be an issue if elected?
2) Do you intend to keep the current Gameside Advocates? If not, why? I think a good delegate that preaches about in-game activity will have a plan for its current team members.
3) Do you think your past will loom over your delegacy if elected when it comes to foreign relations? If not, explain.
4) Currently you do not sit on the security council. While we have most definitely seen candidates get elected despite not being on the SC before (especially in recent history), it is not very common to see that. Do you think this will be a flaw to your campaign or do you think it is not a problem at all?

That is all of the current questions I have. Hope to see some good responses as demonstrated above.

A well thought through campaign and I love it. You have my full support.

I think this is a very well thought out campaign and has a lot of good plans and ideas for the region moving forward. I just have a couple of questions for you:

Do you plan to expand our list of embassies to any new region(s), and if so who?

Will you be looking to develop our relationships with new regions that we have yet to have much relationship with (i.e. developing relationships with regions that have existing embassies)?

What role do you see the Senior Diplomats playing in your Foreign Affairs policy?

Activity is obviously a big issue with NS still in the summer lull, albeit towards the end of, and in the past we have looked to generate some activity through hosting a festival with another region, which as well as generating some regional activity has allowed us to develop more of a relationship with the region we did the festival with. However, in recent times, we have not held any of these festivals with other regions. Therefore, will a festival with another region be something that you would consider doing this term?

Last edited:
In short words, great thread, great promises, great future, great candidate. Given your past history as Minister of Culture, and now Minister of FA, I think you're the perfect man for the job! I strongly applaud your campaign and wish you the best of luck!

However, I do have a few questions:
1. As Delegate, would you take down relations with TSP and 10K Islands, or take a strong stance against raiding; or just work as the neutral side?
2. How would you re-act to the recent drop in NPA operations?
3. What's your position on cats? (Hint: This question especially could earn you my vote.)

Last edited:
With regards to the changes coming from the Frontier/Stronghold proposal,

1) Every member of the TNP community gameside becomes more important. How can we link up more with those users to pull them to become part of the executive staff?
2) Does you foresee using inter-regional recruitment to improve activity levels here?

I wanted to add a third question about whether you forsee improving relations with existing embassies/new embassies, but it seems like Owen beat me to it

Last edited:
You’ve got my support :)

Full support. Cool campaign.

A well thought through campaign and I love it. You have my full support.
Thank you very much!
In short words, great thread, great promises, great future, great candidate. Given your past history as Minister of Culture, and now Minister of FA, I think you're the perfect man for the job! I strongly applaud your campaign and wish you the best of luck!

However, I do have a few questions:
1. As Delegate, would you take down relations with TSP and 10K Islands, or take a strong stance against raiding; or just work as the neutral side?
2. How would you re-act to the recent drop in NPA operations?
3. What's your position on cats? (Hint: This question especially could earn you my vote.)
1. I think I've shown I'm committed with good relations with The South Pacific. I've fought against coups in their region in the past, most famously when Milograd couped them. The alliance with TSP is very important to me, which is why this term I committed to resolving the issue with them from January. However, I will not be pursuing any kind of relations with 10KI. They're a region that time and again has attempted to undermine and work against The North Pacific, whilst also vocally complaining about the smallest of things when we do have relations with them. They're a toxic place, especially if you were a member there and switch, the most disgusting things will be said about you.

And no, I won't be taking a strong stance against raiding.

2. I would react by pointing out that this summer saw the worst summer lull in NS history, so it's not really surprising to me. Obviously we hope for more activity going forward, but I don't find current NPA activity to be at an unacceptable level, and as a member of the NPA, I know just how hard the NPA leadership works at making sure operations are happening.

3. Cats are cool.
Great platform, especially the tech review part.

Quick question ~ lately there has been some thoughts that if the NPA were to end their one org policy that it would as a result attract more members, and I'm curious to see where you stance is on this.
I think that's an option that comes with both a lot of risks and a lot of potential rewards. TNP has had issues in the past where multi-org members were pretty big problems and whilst the personnel and mode of operations at the top end of both factions has largely changed from back then... I worry about inviting such risks back into the NPA.

It's something to think on and discuss with NPA leadership and the wider membership.
It’s quite interesting to see you run again, MJ. Despite many challenges you faced last time, you just keep getting back up and fight back stronger than ever. I think that is pretty remarkable and plausible.

One thing I appreciate in this platform is your advocation for greater in-game involvement. I would hesitate to call myself an one-issue voter, because I am not one. But, GA policies means a lot to me. No matter what I did, whether it be serving as a Gameside advocate, or pressing previous delegate campaigns on their stances regarding in-game activity—gameside activity remains an important issue to me. So I’m glad both you, and Dreadton have plans regarding that.

I do have a few questions that I do hope you’ll take the time to answer like the others. I’ll be asking your main opponent similar questions to these as well:

1) What would you say is your biggest strengths (I.e. charisma, getting stuff done, etc.) and weaknesses. Would you say those strengthens will help you if elected, and do you think those weaknesses will be an issue if elected?
2) Do you intend to keep the current Gameside Advocates? If not, why? I think a good delegate that preaches about in-game activity will have a plan for its current team members.
3) Do you think your past will loom over your delegacy if elected when it comes to foreign relations? If not, explain.
4) Currently you do not sit on the security council. While we have most definitely seen candidates get elected despite not being on the SC before (especially in recent history), it is not very common to see that. Do you think this will be a flaw to your campaign or do you think it is not a problem at all?

That is all of the current questions I have. Hope to see some good responses as demonstrated above.
1. I think my biggest strength is my ability to realistic evaluate the problems facing a particular role or department, and set to work with fixing them. I did it with the roleplay moderators and the speakership (we won't talk about the university), and I think I can bring that to the delegacy. Weaknesses? Legal cases seem to find me like they find no one else, but I'm working on reducing that and I very much hope this term will end without one.
2. I will be refreshing the team a bit but I don't see a need for many of the current team to be removed. I think we should move the GAs more towards being a bridge between the RMB and the rest of the region, rather than just hall monitors. There has to be more engagement.
3. It's certainly possible, but when I came back to the game, I left any and all grudges I may have had aside, and over the past term I've found no issues with my past effecting my role as Minister of Foreign Affairs. At the end of the day, if someone still holds a grudge from something that happened before 2014, then I can't really do anything about that, it's entirely likely I won't even remember what they're holding a grudge about, and it's also pretty likely that it didn't happen how they remember it. People who hold grudges tend to morph incidents in their mind to make them worse than they actually were.
4. No, I don't think it's a flaw in my campaign. I've spent the last few months in the NPA, on deployment, actually doing things. All that means is that my endorsement level is a little low, but it's something I'm actively addressing every day.
I think this is a very well thought out campaign and has a lot of good plans and ideas for the region moving forward. I just have a couple of questions for you:

Do you plan to expand our list of embassies to any new region(s), and if so who?

Will you be looking to develop our relationships with new regions that we have yet to have much relationship with (i.e. developing relationships with regions that have existing embassies)?

What role do you see the Senior Diplomats playing in your Foreign Affairs policy?

Activity is obviously a big issue with NS still in the summer lull, albeit towards the end of, and in the past we have looked to generate some activity through hosting a festival with another region, which as well as generating some regional activity has allowed us to develop more of a relationship with the region we did the festival with. However, in recent times, we have not held any of these festivals with other regions. Therefore, will a festival with another region be something that you would consider doing this term?
1. & 2.: Answering both here cos my answers are pretty much the same, I think there's scope for further embassies and relationships with certain regions that operate outside the gameplay sphere, over the last few terms we've considered opening relations with various RP regions, mainly in the world of NS Sports, and exploring those is something that should continue with more pace next term. I think also we should continue to cast our eye at up and coming gameplay regions, and be a bit more proactive in seeking them out.

3. The Senior Diplomats will be used as an advisory body, both on wider policy and specific treaties, incidents and embassies.

4. I think there's definitely a need to do some kind of cultural event, whether that's with specific partners and friends or open to all is something to discuss with FA and Culture. We've more recently been attending rather than holding such events, but there's definitely opportunities over the next four months for some fun. Potential events I can see being something centred around NationStates Day, or the anniversary of our treaty with The Rejected Realms. TRR is a region that I've gotten to know more over the last four months and they're a really good group.
With regards to the changes coming from the Frontier/Stronghold proposal,

1) Every member of the TNP community gameside becomes more important. How can we link up more with those users to pull them to become part of the executive staff?
2) Does you foresee using inter-regional recruitment to improve activity levels here?

I wanted to add a third question about whether you forsee improving relations with existing embassies/new embassies, but it seems like Owen beat me to it
1. Direct outreach is one area where we're already fairly maxed out in terms the amount of stuff we send to the nations in the region, but we should look at how we can better use those existing telegrams to bring people in. As well as this, by having government officials more active on the RMB, we can be better publicising the ministries and the work we do and piquing people's interest. The more offsite people who are involved with the government and its work who are also on the RMB, the more likely such topics come up naturally, and that kind of passive advertising, I think, can work very well.

2. I think there's a discussion the RA and the government can have on how we approach that kind of thing. We want to keep our region strong whilst also keeping allies and friends happy. I think any recruitment would likely be limited in scope. There's also a discussion to be had about TNP forming its own Frontier, and how that would operate.

1. Do you believe that we should proactively seek to establish relations (or closer relations, if relations already exist) with up-and-coming regions, or regions that seem to be gaining prominence?

2. Do you intend to utilise press releases, or publications of a similar nature, if elected?

After a slow start, the Ministry of Radio is back on track under new Minister GAP, who I think has adapted to executive government very well. It’s a promising beginning to his career here, and I have high hopes for whatever he might do next term or in the future.

The diversification of Radio content needs to continue. It’s wonderful to see the RP Spotlight continue under Pax but it can’t go back to being the only content Radio puts out. A Call to Serve and the recent addition of the TNP Round Table are excellent series that should continue… and we should be open to introducing other content, such as talk shows or improv shows or game shows and that can be used to help the region get involved with our other stuff. I think we can continue to develop the Ministry of Radio, and we should look to do so.

One thing I’ve noticed with Radio, however, is that it’s too focussed on just delivering content via Discord. Once a show goes up, it gets linked on Discord, with a ping and then nothing else. We need to go back to making sure it gets posted on the forum, and it can be posted about on the RMB and just like we have indexes of NSL articles in dispatches, we should seek to make and update one for Radio also.
I'd like to know more of your plans for Radio

1. I think I've shown I'm committed with good relations with The South Pacific. I've fought against coups in their region in the past, most famously when Milograd couped them. The alliance with TSP is very important to me, which is why this term I committed to resolving the issue with them from January. However, I will not be pursuing any kind of relations with 10KI. They're a region that time and again has attempted to undermine and work against The North Pacific, whilst also vocally complaining about the smallest of things when we do have relations with them. They're a toxic place, especially if you were a member there and switch, the most disgusting things will be said about you.

And no, I won't be taking a strong stance against raiding.

2. I would react by pointing out that this summer saw the worst summer lull in NS history, so it's not really surprising to me. Obviously we hope for more activity going forward, but I don't find current NPA activity to be at an unacceptable level, and as a member of the NPA, I know just how hard the NPA leadership works at making sure operations are happening.

3. Cats are cool.
Sounds great, as a voter, foreign relations (especially in TSP) are a major issue for me and my party, and I think you offered a satisfying response. I also like how your ideas try to set you apart from previous Delegates and current Candidates, your ideas shape a bold, new future for TNP, which if you are elected, I'll be very excited to see how they would turn out.

OK, you not taking a strong stance against raiding is kind of disappointing, like what many previous Delegates have done, but I guess compared to all your great ideas, that's OK.

OK, so you're saying the current NPA level is OK. This response is also a little disappointing, but OK.

I think you've earned my vote because of the cats comment. I wish you the best of luck, and hopefully we'll see a great victory for you.

Pardon if any of these have already been asked. Feel free to ignore any that you feel have already been addressed.

• We’ve fallen behind Lazarus, Balder, and Osiris. What do you think the reason is that we’ve fallen behind in population? Are they doing anything better than we are, or is this just a game mechanics thing?
  • Do you foresee the Frontier/Stronghold changes having an impact in our Ministry staffing numbers longterm, or just in the superficial regional population?
  • In what ways can TNP be supportive of newly-empowered UCRs once/if the proposed changes take effect? In what ways will this impact the administration’s use of WALL, the NPA, and HA?
  • Overeliance on tools and tech – is this mostly limited to the tools r3n provided TNP, or would this review extend to external tools used by other Ministries – say Comms or Radio?
  • In your article on TNP’s relevance as an Independent region, you mention that the Independent Manifesto calls out R/D not for the sake of balance between the two ideologies, but rather to function in the interest of the region. As an example, you list quorum raiding. Do you believe this is in the interest of TNP, and in which cases would it be used? Would you restrict its use only to preventing pro-fascist agenda items from reaching quorum? If you do approve of its use, how would you rectify its use against earlier statements that TNP may need to play more cooperatively with other regions?
  • To ask you your own questions: In this new Independence, what place is there for the movement's former leaders? Are they still relevant to gameplay? Are they still relevant to Independence itself? Should they strive to engage with these regions that would inherit their legacy? Should they continue to withdraw within themselves, content to be reactive rather than proactive? Is relevance good, if being irrelevant is in their cultural and political interests at home?
  • Is your solution to Ministry staffing entirely dependent upon RMB relations?
  • In your view, why is the NPA important? Can you provide examples of operations that you see as in our foreign policy interest?
  • When would Clause 33 exceptions be used? How can you justify excessive force against natives simply to boost fun within the NPA? Do you have specific regions or types of regions you’d like targeted?
  • Can we learn from the Card programs of other regions to find ways of making our Ministry work such that it does not rely on historic scripts or card farming methods? Are you setting a sunset deadline on the Ministry of Cards by the end of your term if efforts to make progress don’t turn out?
  • What would you set the desired publication rate of Polaris articles at? Were the five that were published last term sufficiently cover events that occurred?
  • In your new vision for TNL, what quality standards would you enforce for articles that are released? By creative pieces, do you mean RP articles that historically found a place within the Roleplay Reel? What role would Comms staffers have in the production of TNL?
  • Would you seek a regular show schedule for Radio? “News shows every Friday, Game shows every Saturday, etc?”
  • How can Culture best capitalize on N-Day, Z-Day, and other holidays? Do you have any plans for interregional alliances for N-Day, for instance?
  • Would you be open to hosting any interregional festivals this term with Culture? If so, do you have any ideas? Or will the Ministry just have its hands full already with everything else going on?

1. Do you believe that we should proactively seek to establish relations (or closer relations, if relations already exist) with up-and-coming regions, or regions that seem to be gaining prominence?

2. Do you intend to utilise press releases, or publications of a similar nature, if elected?
1. Yes, absolutely. @Praetor started that process when he signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the United Regions Alliance, and I'm pleased that that particular relationship has borne fruit over the last time - we worked with them on the FORCE issue and I look forward to continuing the progress we made there.

2. Probably. I'm in two minds over things such as delegate directives, which are really just policies but issued as pseudo-legislation. A more formal style of stating what the government is doing. I could utilise those to act as press releases, or we could do news-y styled ones.
I'd like to know more of your plans for Radio
Not really much more to say beyond what was said above - diversify the content, ensure it's adequately publicised everywhere (on-site, forum, discord) and make sure it's active. Radio must justify its continued independence from Communications, really, and vice-versa. A big term for them.
Sounds great, as a voter, foreign relations (especially in TSP) are a major issue for me and my party, and I think you offered a satisfying response. I also like how your ideas try to set you apart from previous Delegates and current Candidates, your ideas shape a bold, new future for TNP, which if you are elected, I'll be very excited to see how they would turn out.

OK, you not taking a strong stance against raiding is kind of disappointing, like what many previous Delegates have done, but I guess compared to all your great ideas, that's OK.

OK, so you're saying the current NPA level is OK. This response is also a little disappointing, but OK.

I think you've earned my vote because of the cats comment. I wish you the best of luck, and hopefully we'll see a great victory for you.
I can't really think of any TNP delegate who has taken a strong stance against raiding, and I've been here in one form or another since 2012.

I thank you for the support though.
are you going to do anything to make kasto less annoying?
Kasto just needs our love and support.

Ok, the big one - let's break this down.
Pardon if any of these have already been asked. Feel free to ignore any that you feel have already been addressed.

• We’ve fallen behind Lazarus, Balder, and Osiris. What do you think the reason is that we’ve fallen behind in population? Are they doing anything better than we are, or is this just a game mechanics thing?

In a word - Cards. People have been reviving their card puppets in massive numbers. It's swelled the numbers in the sinkers massively. They tend to lose about the same number of nations as we do, but they are bolstered by large numbers of card puppets. Hopefully some technical changes come along that reduce that, because the NS servers are run by a phone, and it's holding up well.
  • Do you foresee the Frontier/Stronghold changes having an impact in our Ministry staffing numbers longterm, or just in the superficial regional population?
Well we'll probably be getting less people coming into the region - how that effects our Ministry staffing depends on our efforts to mitigate that, and open up new areas of recruitment, like more from the RMB, or even from our own Frontier region.
  • In what ways can TNP be supportive of newly-empowered UCRs once/if the proposed changes take effect? In what ways will this impact the administration’s use of WALL, the NPA, and HA?
Our greatest strength will still be our WA vote - and more generally, WALLs - the embargo SC proposal that's coming along with these changes would make a Frontier unable to spawn nations (I imagine by turning it back into a Stronghold), and our ability to work against - or in support of - such proposals would be a potent thing. The NPA would be deployed in protection of friendly frontiers - perhaps even one TNP itself founded - as well in helping to put down any problematic ones (e.g. fash who make the mistake of becoming frontiers).
  • Overeliance on tools and tech – is this mostly limited to the tools r3n provided TNP, or would this review extend to external tools used by other Ministries – say Comms or Radio?
Mostly limited to those tools - the external tools used by Radio don't seem to going anywhere, OBS isn't likely to be unavailable to us, and even if it were, there are other audio capturing softwares out there.
  • In your article on TNP’s relevance as an Independent region, you mention that the Independent Manifesto calls out R/D not for the sake of balance between the two ideologies, but rather to function in the interest of the region. As an example, you list quorum raiding. Do you believe this is in the interest of TNP, and in which cases would it be used? Would you restrict its use only to preventing pro-fascist agenda items from reaching quorum? If you do approve of its use, how would you rectify its use against earlier statements that TNP may need to play more cooperatively with other regions?
Quorum raiding can be in the interest in TNP, and the way it was used in January is a prime example. We made some mistakes - hitting allies of allies wasn't good and must not happen again, the same with the region whose delegate did not approve the proposal. We agreed in June/July a protocol with The South Pacific on how either one of us would operate quorum raids in the future. I believe that protocol can be adapted to become guidelines for how we approach quorum raiding in general.

I do not foresee the practice becoming common in my tenure.
  • To ask you your own questions: In this new Independence, what place is there for the movement's former leaders? Are they still relevant to gameplay? Are they still relevant to Independence itself? Should they strive to engage with these regions that would inherit their legacy? Should they continue to withdraw within themselves, content to be reactive rather than proactive? Is relevance good, if being irrelevant is in their cultural and political interests at home?
I'll be honest - I don't know. I think that's a conversation that the wider movement needs to have with itself. I think being relevant is nice, but is it good? I think engaging with the regions that have inherited the mantle of independence would bring benefits, but would those benefits outweigh the benefits of the status quo? These are big questions beyond the scope of my platform, I think, though I welcome the conversation.
  • Is your solution to Ministry staffing entirely dependent upon RMB relations?
No. We would be continuing to encourage people to join the executive government, both actively and passively.
  • In your view, why is the NPA important? Can you provide examples of operations that you see as in our foreign policy interest?
The NPA is important because it can both serve as an outreach of our foreign policy and as the purest form of competition this game has. Operations that see in our foreign policy interest are any anti-fascist operation, any operation done to protect or work with our allies, such as delegacy transitions, and any operation against our enemies.
  • When would Clause 33 exceptions be used? How can you justify excessive force against natives simply to boost fun within the NPA? Do you have specific regions or types of regions you’d like targeted?
Clause 33 exceptions would be used when it's deemed in the regions interest. "Excessive force" in this instance would be closing the region's embassies. That, despite what the law says, has never really seemed excessive to me, frankly. And I'm someone well known for supporting the outright banning of military gameplay.
  • Can we learn from the Card programs of other regions to find ways of making our Ministry work such that it does not rely on historic scripts or card farming methods? Are you setting a sunset deadline on the Ministry of Cards by the end of your term if efforts to make progress don’t turn out?
I think perhaps we can, and I'll certainly look to learn about those programs. Cards needs a lot of help - and its future is not secure. A big term needed.
  • What would you set the desired publication rate of Polaris articles at? Were the five that were published last term sufficiently cover events that occurred?
Polaris article came at a good rate in the first half of the term, but not so much the second. I think the focus will be on maintaining that rate - 5 over half a term or so - over a full term, but that's dependent on finding things to write about.
  • In your new vision for TNL, what quality standards would you enforce for articles that are released? By creative pieces, do you mean RP articles that historically found a place within the Roleplay Reel? What role would Comms staffers have in the production of TNL?
RP articles are pretty much what I had in mind, along with other content produced especially for it. As for quality standards? I intend to appoint an Editor-in-Chief for TNL whose role would be ensure standards are met - potentially through the establishment of a writing guide, but more just through adequate quality control. The person I have in mind for the role is an accomplished writer within the region and I believe they would perform that role very well.
  • Would you seek a regular show schedule for Radio? “News shows every Friday, Game shows every Saturday, etc?”
That would be something to discuss within the Ministry, after such shows are established - I think we need the foundations before building the walls.
  • How can Culture best capitalize on N-Day, Z-Day, and other holidays? Do you have any plans for interregional alliances for N-Day, for instance?
  • Would you be open to hosting any interregional festivals this term with Culture? If so, do you have any ideas? Or will the Ministry just have its hands full already with everything else going on?
I'm aware discussions on an N-Day alliance are already underway. NationStates Day will likely be a holiday we focus on as well - and I'm very open to making this an interregional festival.

Not really much more to say beyond what was said above - diversify the content, ensure it's adequately publicised everywhere (on-site, forum, discord) and make sure it's active. Radio must justify its continued independence from Communications, really, and vice-versa. A big term for them.

Kasto just needs our love and support.
Side Note: I do intend to return to radio and help in the efforts to diversify content and expand our avenues,
also kasto smells

Regarding your opposition to reapproachmanent with XKI, do you believe that stating it and aggressively holding it internally will suffice, or will you pursue some policy method less able to be undone by a successor?

Regarding your opposition to reapproachmanent with XKI, do you believe that stating it and aggressively holding it internally will suffice, or will you pursue some policy method less able to be undone by a successor?
As much as I wish it might, there is a parliamentary tenet that I hold - it goes something like "The actions of a previous Parliament cannot bind the next" - it's something I hold to be applicable to NS much more than most other real life political concepts. Anything my administration does can be undone by the next, but I think most in the region can see the malice with which XKI has towards us and will not take steps to appease them.

Back