-
-
Pronouns
He/Him/His
TNP Nation
Kaschovia
Discord
kaschovia
Since we're discussing continent names and time zones, I think throwing ocean and water body names into the ring would be a splendid idea. Since nations come and go and are not permanent, I don't personally think naming bodies of water after nearby nations would be beneficial.

Like continent names, they should primarily mean something. I wouldn't mind slapping compass-themed names on them such as 'The North Sea' on them or even continent-themed names, but of course, it is never as simple as that.

What do you think?

I think the biggest problem we had last time we tried this is determining what is an ocean and what should be considered a sea or some other body. If someone can come up with a map that seems to have reasonable divisions it might be a good place to start. Plus knowing if the equator is truly the south edge of the map would help in determining names like norther or southern.

We already had a map made by me ages back trying to determine what is an ocean, a sea, a bay, etc. No clue where it has disappeared to now but it was made at one point ages ago.

No no no no no no no no no, just no. Not getting back into this terrifying cauldron of annoyance. No one can agree on ocean boundaries let alone names. This issue has been brought up 10-20 times and each time has been met with unproductiveness and just general arguements with no one agreeing to anything. Let the zombie issue of the "oceans/seas" die, pretty please.

Lord Lore:
No no no no no no no no no, just no. Not getting back into this terrifying cauldron of annoyance. No one can agree on ocean boundaries let alone names. This issue has been brought up 10-20 times and each time has been met with unproductiveness and just general arguements with no one agreeing to anything. Let the zombie issue of the "oceans/seas" die, pretty please.
I vehemently refuse!

This is not just some random thread thrown up out of curiosity... this is the Roleplay Convention 2017! If we can name continents, we can name bodies of water.

Truth be told, it is actually rather simple. We divide all of the water up into oceans (sections). We then divide those oceans up into seas (subsections). After that, we leave it to the nations nearest to those seas to decide names for them. The oceans, however, should be treated as continents are and named collectively.

Kasch:
Lord Lore:
I vehemently refuse!

This is not just some random thread thrown up out of curiosity... this is the Roleplay Convention 2017! If we can name continents, we can name bodies of water.

Truth be told, it is actually rather simple. We divide all of the water up into oceans (sections). We then divide those oceans up into seas (subsections). After that, we leave it to the nations nearest to those seas to decide names for them. The oceans, however, should be treated as continents are and named collectively.
This was brought up in RP Convention 2015 too and and you yourself have provided the main argument against names and that is that the water isn't seperated into natural divisions like continents. No one will ever agree on sections and that is the truth here.

What I see as an sea, you might see as an Ocean and Madjack might see as part of an entirely different ocean.

Lord Lore:
Kasch:
Lord Lore:
I vehemently refuse!

This was brought up in RP Convention 2015 too and and you yourself have provided the main argument against names and that is that the water isn't seperated into natural divisions like continents. No one will ever agree on sections and that is the truth here.

What I see as an sea, you might see as an Ocean and Madjack might see as part of an entirely different ocean.
The water was never going to be separated into natural divisions anyway, it has always just been the blue that contrasts the color, but this needs to change.

It's not about what everyone individually wants, that comes into play when asking for land to roleplay with. The convention decides on what is an ocean and a sea and how we divide those up into sections and subsections. The convention decides what these oceans are called and allows nations to choose the names of the seas or waters nearest to them based on a range of our choosing for international waters and territorial waters.

Oceans are decided and named by all of us because they don't belong to any of us. There's a very easy way to establish what an ocean or a sea is. It's our world, after all. We set a range in km sq, anything below that range is considered sea and anything within that range is considered ocean. Seas are smaller than oceans, so if we get a range decided on then we limit disputes. The way we do that is by looking at Earth. The largest ocean is the Pacific at 155 million km sq. The largest sea is the Coral Sea at 4.791 million km sq. To get our range, we simply adjust that range to our own map. Anything between the adjusted size for 5 million km sq and 155 million km sq we consider an ocean. Anything below that, we consider a sea.

Nations can claim up to whatever range outwards of their nation into water that we decide on as well. That makes it possible for people to choose the names for the subsections amongst them.

Considering the Seran Islands no longer exist, why would the sea still be called that?

Well then, we're in the market for a new name, as well as any names for the other question-marked seas, which I could find no name for. Suggestions?

To counter the map that Syrixia had made, I present mine. Now, the lines that I had drawn to designate where oceans and seas are is a very rough guideline and only meant to show the general area that that particular body of water covers. As for the numbers, the guide to those is below...

• 1. Phoenix Strait
  • 2. Fretum Uxoris and Fretum Viri
  • 3. Straits of Capricornia
  • 4. Naessar Sea

I don't think that "Meterran Sea" will be a good name, as there is a piece of territory in the region known as "Kian". To counter this proposal, I present the name should be the "Spring Sea", as depicted here.

I would also like to add the fact that I think that naming a body of water after a continent would be bland at best.

The thing is that the name Meterra and Meterran Sea are already pretty established names and have been used in both RP planning discussions and in RP's themselves. It's the same with the Nassaer Sea, the name is heavily established already by Goy, Nin and Alexey. Also, there is the real life examples of the Indian Ocean being named after the Indian sub-continent.

Nightsong:
The thing is that the name Meterra and Meterran Sea are already pretty established names and have been used in both RP planning discussions and in RP's themselves. It's the same with the Nassaer Sea, the name is heavily established already by Goy, Nin and Alexey. Also, there is the real life examples of the Indian Ocean being named after the Indian sub-continent.
And the Arctic Ocean, and the Antarctic Ocean, and the Atlantic Ocean which are all named after landmasses, geographical features or named in relation to geographical features or landmasses. It's how naming conventions generally work...

I'm liking Nightsong's definition of water bodies here. If you wanted to make it even simpler, you could combine two of the four oceans and just draw a diagonal across the map at the top left and bottom right as the borders and keep those interior seas and call it a day like this.

Either way, I believe the admins are likely right that it would be very difficult to come up with the borders and names for the seas and oceans with everyone agreeing as mentioned earlier in this thread without some decisive action, so I'd like to suggest the admins either pick one of the suggested border layouts here for the oceans and sea and declare it as the borders or hold a vote between 2-4 layouts of admin choice where the winning layout is the permanent borders of our waters. Then, accept suggestions for names for each of the unnamed seas and oceans and hold a vote between the top 3 or 4 as selected by the admin team and the winner of those name votes are declared the permanent names of those bodies of water, room for debate not allowed.

I agree with Nightsongs borders for the bodies of water. Perhaps a mini convention can be held on discord to hammer down names seeing as convention is ending. But those borders look good to me

Cimmerien:
I propose that the name of this body of water be the Glacier Ocean, so we can finally at least settle on one name that we can agree on.

Link to proposal

Please take this into consideration.
I’d like to ask why you think it should be called the Glacier Ocean? Does it have a meaning? If it’s because it’s cold, I feel like the far North Sea would be colder, due to it’s northern position.

SAA Kanada:
Cimmerien:
I propose that the name of this body of water be the Glacier Ocean, so we can finally at least settle on one name that we can agree on.

Link to proposal

I’d like to ask why you think it should be called the Glacier Ocean? Does it have a meaning? If it’s because it’s cold, I feel like the far North Sea would be colder, due to it’s northern position.
To be honest, I just came up this name from the top of my head.
In addition, I referred to this body of water as the Glacier Ocean OOC'ly.

If you think that I should find another name, or if you have a suggestion for a new name, then I'm all ears.

Using Nightsong's map as a base, I believe the sea between Gothis and Meterra (the northwestern continent and the central continent) should simply be known as the Westerly Sea. It doesn't refer to a nation, and it's definition is simple- A sea in the west position. How it got this name IC could be a bit more complex, but I believe it could've come from Xentheridans when they migrated to Gothis. Specifically I believe it could've come from whatever their word for west was at the time, which over time evolved into western and then westerly. Perhaps historically it covered a larger area, and they never actually went very far into the sea before turning back north to migrate to northwestern Gothis via the Naesser Sea. I'm a bit tired, so if there are any holes in that idea feel free to tell me.

Cimmerien:

Link to proposal

Glacier sea would go well with the Ice-sounding name of the continent with Nightsong.

On the topic of the "Glacier Ocean", I personally just don't find it to sound that nice. Maybe if it was the "Glacier Sea" it would sound a bit nicer, but Glacier Ocean just doesn't fit that well in my opinion. I instead propose something like... the Caessic (Kay-sick) Ocean, which comes from the Latin "Cessabit Mare" or "calm sea" (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm using Google Translate because I don't know Latin). I believe this makes sense in a historical context as, to my knowledge, that area of the map has seen significantly less conflict than most of Eras. I believe it's fairly easy to toss the name up to traders from Imperium Augustum finding the ocean to be rather calm or something like that.

I’m personally not a fan of Glacier Ocean as the name doesn’t fit nor does it have any glaciers floating around in it. Going off of the suggestion Andy put forward and taking into account the fact that the Pacific Ocean is named after the word Pacifico from both Spanish and Portuguese... I propose called it the Seren Ocean, a shortened version of the Spanish and Portuguese word sereno which means serene.

Edit 1: For the northwestern most ocean (the one above Goy, Nin, Cojedes and Andy) I propose the name Araethi Ocean which is named after the Old Norse word aræði (daring) and would pay homage to the Eras version of vikings in those nations.

Edit 2: I've updated the map I made with some of the proposed names. Names in discussion are listed on the map in red.

New map can be found here.

I could be mistaken but are what's currently the "Kian Sea" and the "Westerly Sea" not straits? Have we considered something like "The Strait of Kian" or "Kian Strait" for example?

EDIT: Actually, I guess number 3 already accounts for the strait that exists there, but my point does stand for the "Westerly Sea"

3 is the Straits of Capricornia... the way I look at it is that it essentially stretches from that western island in McM's claim up to the western border of Theneca where it then runs into / becomes the Kian Sea.

As for the Westerly Sea, you could probably change it and rewrite it as the Westerly Strait which would connect the Sere Ocean and the Meterran Sea.

Edit: MAP ... Here is a map I made to show the distinction between the Straits of Capricornia and the Kian Sea. I also put in the two names that have been proposed for one of the oceans, the Seren Ocean and the Caessic Ocean, there is also the name Spring Ocean which is a slight change from the suggestion of Spring Sea put forward by Cimmeria. I also added a potential name for the southernmost ocean, the Sahora Ocean. Sahora is an Elvish word (yay for Lord of the Rings dictionaries) that means the south... seems appropriate considering the location of the ocean.

Andrenne:
On the topic of the "Glacier Ocean", I personally just don't find it to sound that nice. Maybe if it was the "Glacier Sea" it would sound a bit nicer, but Glacier Ocean just doesn't fit that well in my opinion. I instead propose something like... the Caessic (Kay-sick) Ocean, which comes from the Latin "Cessabit Mare" or "calm sea" (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm using Google Translate because I don't know Latin). I believe this makes sense in a historical context as, to my knowledge, that area of the map has seen significantly less conflict than most of Eras. I believe it's fairly easy to toss the name up to traders from Imperium Augustum finding the ocean to be rather calm or something like that.
I am taking up this suggestion and changing it to Caessic Ocean.

I've been calling the body of water between Esplandia and the continent that McM is on 'The Roaring Sea'. It's mostly because I think it'd be an alley for hurricanes, funneling storms northward, and as such would give it it's name. While I'm definitely open to other suggestions for it, I thought I'd just throw mine out there.

I'd like the sea, or the portion of it, South of Iteria to be named the Iterian Sea. The strait can be named after Kian, but I'm honestly fine with whatever.

Nightsong:
3 is the Straits of Capricornia... the way I look at it is that it essentially stretches from that western island in McM's claim up to the western border of Theneca where it then runs into / becomes the Kian Sea.

As for the Westerly Sea, you could probably change it and rewrite it as the Westerly Strait which would connect the Sere Ocean and the Meterran Sea.

Edit: MAP ... Here is a map I made to show the distinction between the Straits of Capricornia and the Kian Sea. I also put in the two names that have been proposed for one of the oceans, the Seren Ocean and the Caessic Ocean, there is also the name Spring Ocean which is a slight change from the suggestion of Spring Sea put forward by Cimmeria. I also added a potential name for the southernmost ocean, the Sahora Ocean. Sahora is an Elvish word (yay for Lord of the Rings dictionaries) that means the south... seems appropriate considering the location of the ocean.
In regards to this, did Kian actually have borders stretching out that far? Because if not, I would be slightly hesitant to dub it the Kian Sea.

Cimmerien:
Andrenne:
I am taking up this suggestion and changing it to Caessic Ocean.
Ok why the change from glacier ocean to Caessic Ocean? I quite liked the name of Glaciar Ocean

Notboss Dragonking:
Ok why the change from glacier ocean to Caessic Ocean? I quite liked the name of Glaciar Ocean
Are there any glaciers in the middle of that ocean? :P

No, there are no glaciers there. Maybe up by the SY there might be but none down south by the Icenia continent or along the coast of Meterra.

Back