OOC: Oceans, Seas and Straits of The North Pacific: Naming Convention

Nightsong

Bookworm
m7j5aQm.png

Map Link: TNP Map (Oceans, Seas and Straits)

With The North Pacific map growing and getting more and more populated, I feel that it is time to start a discussion about naming the various bodies of water that surround our nations. For the sake of clarity, I took the map and split it into various sections. With that in mind, the map has been split into four oceans (labelled I-IV), four seas (labelled I-IV) and six straits (labelled A-F).

Since the bulk of the nations currently reside in the Old World (old continents), I feel we should focus on those bodies of water first. The included bodies of water under discussion are:
  • Ocean II
  • Ocean III
  • Ocean IV
  • Sea III
  • Sea IV
  • Strait C
  • Strait D
  • Strait E
  • Strait F

Just to start off, here are some of the names I had written down if I ever chose to use them in a future role-play scenario.

Ocean III: Sunrise Ocean
Sea III: Sea of Prosperity
Strait C: Straits of the Raven

I've been referring to Strait E as the Guslant Strait, due to our border with the strait, however, I'm not going to force that on everyone.

Bootsie:
I've been referring to Strait E as the Guslant Strait, due to our border with the strait, however, I'm not going to force that on everyone.
I remember you had mentioned that your nation's flag (or one of the flags) involved a star rising from the ashes... could always name Strait E as the Phoenix Strait.

Straight D is where Darcania is, and the island wasn't "discovered" (aka put on the map) until recently. Until then, according to my nation's history, ships that got too close would "mysteriously" sink. Perhaps something referencing that would be good? I don't know how canonical history is regulated, though, so whether that's part of the history of TNP or not is I wouldn't know.

Darcania:
Straight D is where Darcania is, and the island wasn't "discovered" (aka put on the map) until recently. Until then, according to my nation's history, ships that got too close would "mysteriously" sink. Perhaps something referencing that would be good? I don't know how canonical history is regulated, though, so whether that's part of the history of TNP or not is I wouldn't know.
As a suggestion for Straits C and D and Sea IV...

Strait C: Straits of the Raven
(secrets, wisdom)

Strait D: Straits of the Lynx
(secrets, the unseen and hidden)

Sea IV: Sea of Understanding

If you can't tell, I went for a theme in that area with regards to knowledge and mysteries.

Edit: Feel free to add your own names other than the ones I'm suggesting... I'm just putting stuff out there as a conversation starter.

Sea III should be named "Nebulan Hegemony Zone". :)

I'm not sure we can get the right to do a sea. Maybe a small strait, but...

I've been calling Sea IV the 'Central Ocean' or the 'West Sea' (die Westsee). I'd call Area E either the 'Syrixian Strait' or the 'Guslant Strait'. Northern, Southern, Western, Eastern Oceans come naturally. Sea III could just be a part of the Eastern Ocean.

Kannex:
I've been calling Sea IV the 'Central Ocean' or the 'West Sea' (die Westsee). I'd call Area E either the 'Syrixian Strait' or the 'Guslant Strait'. Northern, Southern, Western, Eastern Oceans come naturally. Sea III could just be a part of the Eastern Ocean.
I would call Strait E the Strait of Syrixia.

Also, that big southern ocean? I propose we call it the Grand Ocean.

Darcania:
Nebula:
Sea III should be named "Nebulan Hegemony Zone".
Kannex:
I'd call Area E either the 'Syrixian Strait' or the 'Guslant Strait'.
Syrixia:
I would call Strait E the Strait of Syrixia.
It was my understanding that we weren't naming seas/oceans after nations, which is why I didn't outright ask for the Straight of Darcania. Just a suggestion, but a very good one that I support, nonetheless.

Syrixia:
I think we can name some of them after nations, but not ALL of them.

I'm very much against the idea of naming bodies of water after nations for a multitude of reasons...
1) It leaves a terrible precedent in favoring some nations over others in having a body of water named after them.
2) Trying to pick and choose nations to name stuff after will lead to a game of favorites that no one likes.
3) The map bodies of water would flow better with an overall themed name convention.

On to the discussion at hand... Syrixia / Kannex, I do like your suggestions about the ocean names. What about the following?
- Norte (Northern) Ocean, Oriental (Eastern) Ocean, Do Sur (Southern) Ocean and Occidental (Western) Ocean
-- Can either use the English variant or go for something exotic and use the translation of those words from the Galician language.

And Syrixia... that strait between you and Bootsie... I feel that the name Phoenix Strait would work since both of your nations have a long history of a new state rising from the ashes of a previous one.

Edit: Mainly why I'm not for using nation names is because it would be cool to work with the cartographer's to create a new map showing the various bodies of water of The North Pacific's map. Also, it could work using a nation name but that leaves the odd possibility of that nation CTE in the future and leaving behind the body of water with its name.

I agree. The Phoenix Strait could be used, but I will only use it if Bootsie accepts it too.

Then I believe we have a deal. Phoenix Strait it is! *Shakes hands*

*Looks at rest of map which hasn't been finalized yet, sea-name-wise*

Oh, bugger.

Syrixia:
Then I believe we have a deal. Phoenix Strait it is! *Shakes hands*

*Looks at rest of map which hasn't been finalized yet, sea-name-wise*

Oh, bugger.
It'll take a bit but that's what this thread is for. Discussion for naming the seas and oceans.

Names to use:
Dagon
Y'ha-nthlei (good for the Eastern Ocean because we have a trench there by that name)
Ya´ Dich-Gho
Ahu-Y'hloa
G'll-Hoo
Janai'ngo
Basatan
Cthaat
Hastur
Hali
Inpesca
Khal'kru
Nyaghoggua
Oorn
Sthanee

I might think up more later, but I think these might be nice:
Strait C = Sea of Fallen Stars
Strait F = Glasswater Channel

I feel Ocean I should be named after how far it is from a bulk of civilization, maybe the Farland Ocean.

I know Ocean IV as der Südensee, because it is in the South. Similarly I know Sea IV as der Nordsee because of its geographical relation to Eumenor - but that one doesn't make sense in the general North Pacific. We do however know it as Havenside also, because it's the side of Eumenor the Havens, our main ports, are on.
So I'm suggesting:

Ocean IV: Südensee or South Sea
Sea IV: Haven Sea

Remember, different countries can have their variations on these names. Not everyone calls the same ocean the same thing.

True, but it would be nice to have a centralized naming convention for everything, hence this discussion thread.

Anyways, as it stands we have the following names for locations:
  • Ocean II - Northern, Norte
  • Ocean III - Eastern, Oriental
  • Ocean IV - Southern, Do Sur, Grand, Südensee
  • Sea III
  • Sea IV - Sea of Understanding, Central Sea, Haven Sea
  • Strait C - Straits of the Raven, Strait of Fallen Stars
  • Strait D - Straits of the Lynx
  • Strait E - Guslant Strait, Syrixian Strait (Strait of Syrixia), Phoenix Strait
  • Strait F - Glasswater Channel

Based on what we have so far, it seems that the running trend for the oceans is to utilize the geographic terms: Northern, Eastern, Southern and Western. I am perfectly ok with this and then letting the various nations have their own names for it in their particular language (ex. Südensee (Southern) for Eumenor). Phoenix Strait (E) is the other one that has been semi-finalized between Syrixia and Bootsie.

Since I saw a suggestion of folding Sea III into Ocean III, we could do that or keep the sea separate and give it its own name. Thoughts / suggestions?

Piscivore:
No mythos names? C'mon, guys, what could go wrong?
I have no issue with using mythos names as long as they are done consistently and make sense. Speaking of which, what mythos did you have in mind? Norse, Greek, Roman, Celtic, Egyptian, Native American, Anglo-Saxon, Germanic?

Kalti:
I have no issue with using mythos names as long as they are done consistently and make sense. Speaking of which, what mythos did you have in mind? Norse, Greek, Roman, Celtic, Egyptian, Native American, Anglo-Saxon, Germanic?
But what would the IC source for those names be? All of those cultures don't exist in the world of TNP, as RL nations don't exist in the world of TNP.

Okay, when I'm doing the next Rhuvanland or Pelhafor RP or whatever, I don't want to have to open a new tab and go to the thread where all the sea names are. Let's stick with names we can remember off the top of our heads.

Kalti:
Piscivore:
Cthulhu, the ones on the list I posted. :)

Going with various suggestions from people, how does the following sound? I was trying to incorporate different elements and themes while also keeping the names easy to remember. Not touching the other half of the map at the moment but the only thing over there named for now would be Ocean I being called the Western Ocean. Also, if anyone has suggestions or comments, feel free to change any of the names on this list.:

- Ocean II: Northern Ocean
- Ocean III: Eastern Ocean
- Ocean IV: Southern Ocean

- Sea III: Dagon Sea
- Sea IV: Haven Sea

- Strait C: Raven Pass
- Strait D: Basatan Pass
- Strait E: Phoenix Strait
- Strait F: Glasswater Channel

I still prefer Sea IV to be called the Central Sea, because it is at the center of most of TNP civilization.

Why are C, D, E, and F named so?

Darcania:
Kalti:
But what would the IC source for those names be? All of those cultures don't exist in the world of TNP, as RL nations don't exist in the world of TNP.
Easy answer... I only used Dagon and Basatan... Both of whom are sea gods with different powers. Somewhere along the lines there was a group of natives (or a nation) that worshiped these two sea gods and over time, there names were applied to said bodies of water.

Kannex:
I still prefer Sea IV to be called the Central Sea, because it is at the center of most of TNP civilization.

Why are C, D, E, and F named so?
C is because of me until I can come up with a better name for it (might steal the name from Ceretis that he suggested)...
D is incorporating a name suggestion from Piscivore but can be changed...
E is due to Bootsie and Syrixia, both of there nations involve an old civilization falling and the new one rising from the ashes...
F is due to the suggestion from Ceretis...

Piscivore:
Kalti:
Piscivore:
Cthulhu, the ones on the list I posted. :)
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

I will say I really like Südensee for the southern ocean, but I'm largely open to anything.

Back