OOC: Oceans, Seas and Straits of The North Pacific: Naming Convention

True Sebland:
BTW do the continents have names?
That's probably going to be a further worldbuilding thing sometime in the future.

Because people are listing some names used by their own nations, I would like to just mention that Imperium has two straits, one facing Sea III, and one facing Sea IV. The one facing Sea III is known as "Fretum Uxoris", meaning the Bridge of the Wife, and the one facing Sea IV the "Fretum Viri".

The seas themselves don't have canonical names in my nation yet, though, and my nation itself does acknowledge a second name for Fretum Uxoris - Skia Geyfras, the shadow bridge. But other than that, I don't really particularly have any feelings towards the suggestions atm.

As a small note, the island that contains most of Archegnum and the entirety of The Lancerian Empire was agreed among the two of us to be Archlancer Island and the defensive pact that me an Arch formed (including a couple of other provisions including special permissions for Lancerian ships going through his strait, which is tolled) was called The Straits Of Archlancer Pact, therefore I propose that the small straits (one entirely within Archengum and the other shared by New Haven American and myself) be called the Southern Archlancer Strait and the Northern Archlancer Strait respectively.

Yrkidding:
As a small note, the island that contains most of Archegnum and the entirety of The Lancerian Empire was agreed among the two of us to be Archlancer Island and the defensive pact that me an Arch formed (including a couple of other provisions including special permissions for Lancerian ships going through his strait, which is tolled) was called The Straits Of Archlancer Pact, therefore I propose that the small straits (one entirely within Archengum and the other shared by New Haven American and myself) be called the Southern Archlancer Strait and the Northern Archlancer Strait respectively.
I would just like to confirm for everyone else that this is indeed what we two agreed. :agree:

Fretum Uxoris and Fretum Viri have been noted and added to the list.

Southern Archlancer Strait (between Archegnum and The Lancerian Empire) and the Northern Archlancer Strait (between The Lancerian Empire and New Haven America) have been noted and added to the list.

I could make a map out of the seas so far, if needed, so we can visualize what we have so far.

Syrixia:
I could make a map out of the seas so far, if needed, so we can visualize what we have so far.
Syrixia, if you could make a map with the following names listed as a visual guide, that would be great:

- Ocean II: Northern Ocean
- Ocean III: Eastern Ocean
- Ocean IV: Southern Ocean

- Sea III: Dagon Sea
- Sea IV: Haven Sea

- Strait C: Raven Pass
- Strait D: Basatan Pass
- Strait E: Phoenix Strait
- Strait F: Glasswater Channel

North Strait by Imperium Augustum (facing Sea III): Fretum Uxoris
South Strait by Imperium Augustum (facing Sea IV): Fretum Viri

- Southern Archlancer Strait (between Archegnum and The Lancerian Empire)
- Northern Archlancer Strait (between The Lancerian Empire and New Haven America)

Kalti:
Syrixia:
Syrixia, if you could make a map with the following names listed as a visual guide, that would be great:

- Sea III: Dagon Sea
- Sea IV: Haven Sea

- Strait C: Raven Pass
- Strait D: Basatan Pass
- Strait E: Phoenix Strait
- Strait F: Glasswater Channel

North Strait by Imperium Augustum (facing Sea III): Fretum Uxoris
South Strait by Imperium Augustum (facing Sea IV): Fretum Viri

- Southern Archlancer Strait (between Archegnum and The Lancerian Empire)
- Northern Archlancer Strait (between The Lancerian Empire and New Haven America)
Sure. I'll do that in an hour when I am able to do it.

Not trying to be rude, but chances are I'll use the names of nations when I reference the seas. I've already been using the term "Syrixian Strait" in my RPs.

I only usually refer to one ocean-like-thing during RPs and that's the small channel between I and the other nations like Axla and Nessuno

Kalti:
Boring!

Since we're TNP, how about some variations on Pacific for the oceans?

Edit: The bay surrounding SillyString, we call "Ko La'i Apo" (Circle of Tranquility). Grim has a separate name for it, but he and I are planning to formally rename the area during our RP. :)

I would just like to say that I am against any attempt to create official names for bodies of water that are not within the jurisdiction of one nation. In reality even on earth the names of oceans, seas and channels are not really standardized. Hell look at the South China Sea just for an example, its called "Nán H?i" or South Sea by China, "Bi?n ?ông"or East Sea by Vietnam, "????" South Shina Sea by Japan, and "Dagat Luzon" / "Dagat Kanlurang Pilipinas" or the Luzon Sea / West Phillipine Sea by the Phillipines.

Lord Lore:
I would just like to say that I am against any attempt to create official names for bodies of water that are not within the jurisdiction of one nation. In reality even on earth the names of oceans, seas and channels are not really standardized. Hell look at the South China Sea just for an example, its called "Nán H?i" or South Sea by China, "Bi?n ?ông"or East Sea by Vietnam, "????" South Shina Sea by Japan, and "Dagat Luzon" / "Dagat Kanlurang Pilipinas" or the Luzon Sea / West Phillipine Sea by the Phillipines.
:agree:

Another good example is the Mediterranean Sea, Yes it seems like it is something that is agreed upon but in Arabic and Hebrew it is written as "The Middle Sea" and if you look in ancient Arabic text it refers to the body of water as "The Romaic" or "The Byzantine" Sea, and in turkish its known as "The White Sea".

Its also been known by the names "Syrian Sea", "Our Sea" (by the romans), "Great Sea", "The Sea", "Hinder Sea", "Sea of the Philistines", "Western Sea".

But by general convention, it is known as the Mediterranean Sea. Mare Mediteranneo in Italian, Mer Mediterranee in French, Mar Mediterraneo in Spanish, all of which come from the Latin mediterraneus, meaning 'in the middle of earth'.

Even the German name (Mittelmeer), Hebrew (HaYam HaTikhon - the Middle Sea), Arabic (al-Bahr (al-Abyad) al-Mutawassit - the (White) Middle Sea). Only in Turkish is it not really referred to as some variation of 'middle', being instead Akdeniz (the White Sea).

This is one case where we should ignore RL convention. We need to have some kind of standard name for the main bodies of water for the sake of RP.

Have the names be agreed-upon, but unofficial. I'm still calling the strait between Rhuvanland and Syrixia as the Syrixian Strait.

And what about the big lands??? For example the Sea I and Ocean I? Have they got names?
If they don't have names I have some ideas... :)

Ocean I will probably follow the naming convention of the other oceans. Sea I has been left undecided for the moment to let the nation's that reside in that area have a say in what name they would like.

Well I have an idea how we should name that island which is between E and D seas. It should named Caltana

If this starts picking up steam again I suggest that the borders not be harshly defined as they are in the OP. I mean in all reality especially with how the layout of the map is nations will have conflicting claims of where each ocean or body of water would start and end.

For instance Andulans would see Ocean II engulfing the northeastern part of Ocean I and the northern part of Ocean III, Sea III would also be part of Ocean III, Straights C and F would be considered a Sea, the bottom third of Ocean I being part of Ocean IV, and the Straight of D actually comprised of three Seas (Andus Sea and the Outer Andus Seas [North and South]), and the areas of Sea I, Sea II, Straits A and B being consolidated into one Sea.

Back