Deputy Speaker
-
-
-
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
RP_Convention_2.png

Continent Names

Groups of nations already have names for some continents - primarily Meterra and Iteria, others just have too many people to gather before they can name their continent. This convention will allow us to establish, once and for all, the names that belong to each landmass.

Names should have some kind of reasoning behind them and take into account the feelings of all nations on the continent in question.

I say the continent with the Phoenix Straight and Phoenix Union should have Phoenix in the name.

I am of the opinion, and have been, that the continent to the right of the Phoenix Strait, which is home to Esroniet, for example, should be called Avignia and that its smaller counterpart to its west, where Ceretis is, should be called Collandris.

The islands in the southwest that Esplandia is on had a name suggested by Nightsong. He calls it Icenia. I'm going to put that one forward as the official name as I like it. I was just calling them the Western Isles.

Syrixia:
I am of the opinion, and have been, that the continent to the right of the Phoenix Strait, which is home to Esroniet, for example, should be called Avignia and that its smaller counterpart to its west, where Ceretis is, should be called Collandris.
What's the reasoning behind those, though? Materra is called such because its a bastardisation of the Latin Terra Mater (mother earth), and early on the Imperium had a vaguely related history to the continent.

mcmasterdonia:
Could we repurpose continent names from the old map?
Did we have continent names on the old map? And if so, yes we probably could.

Whilst not a continent, I have been calling the isles that Korova and Prydania are on ‘The Auburn Isles’. This could possibly be shortened to a similar or alternate name.

St George:
Syrixia:
What's the reasoning behind those, though? Materra is called such because its a bastardisation of the Latin Terra Mater (mother earth), and early on the Imperium had a vaguely related history to the continent.
You'd have to ask Xen about Collandris, as he came up with that name. As for Avignia, which was my idea, I don't remember exactly but I believe it stemmed from the Latin translation of the word "phoenix", and was then slightly altered to be more like a placename.

As to the history of the name Icenia, it comes from the group of people who settled in what is modern day Kalti and Andalucia. It ends up meaning ‘land of the Icenics’. Esplandia has already agreed to it (both on Discord and now here on the forums) and I’ve never been challenged on the name otherwise seeing as no one else on my continent ever actually RP’s.

Syrixia:
Despite me not being on the Phoenix Strait, but I agree with the name Avignia if it means Phoenix and such. The strait seems like it's a large factor throughout lots of history through the continent.

I'd like for us to finally codify the name Iteria for the continent on which Iraelia resides, as most nation's on the continent have accepted that as the Mercanti name.

So what I believe is decided thus far is:
  • Meterra - which comes from the Latin terra mata - mother earth
  • Icenia - land of the Icenics
  • Iteria - accepted due to the widespread acceptance on the continent of the name, although an IC reasoning would be nice
  • Collandris - which is waiting on an explanation from Xenth and input from others on the continent
  • Avignia - another Latin bastardisation from whatever the Latin for Phoenix is - awaiting input from others on that landmass

And so there's at least one other continent to be named, the northwestern one with all the Gotics on. Input needed on this one.

You are actually missing two continent names. The northwest one with all the Gotics on it and then the southeast one that has Thenaca on it. And seeing as Thenaca is the only one I've ever seen RP / active on Discord, I think he should be the one approached for a continent name.

Edit: You can also always ask McM as well since half his nation is on that continent.

I propose the name "Gottica" or "Gothica" for the Northwestern continent, as it reflects the shared history and culture of all the nations.

Syrixia:
You'd have to ask Xen about Collandris, as he came up with that name.
Not even me. Ceretis proposed it to me and I forwarded the suggestion onto Syr. Unfortunately, he's slightly inactive, sooo.... yeah.

Xentherida:
Syrixia:
You'd have to ask Xen about Collandris, as he came up with that name.
Not even me. Ceretis proposed it to me and I forwarded the suggestion onto Syr. Unfortunately, he's slightly inactive, sooo.... yeah.
Then feel free to come up with a different one :P

I would like to put the name Craviter for the NE landmass. Due to pretty much every nation on it possessing a monarch in their history or currently. It is a augmentation of the Latin for Crowned Land coronávit terram

Cogoria:
I would like to put the name Craviter for the NE landmass. Due to pretty much every nation on it possessing a monarch in their history or currently. It is a augmentation of the Latin for Crowned Land coronávit terram
That's an interesting proposal, I wouldn't mind having that either. Both Craviter and Avignia could be viable options in my opinion, but Craviter contains more of the continent, not just the area containing the Phoenix strait.

For the Northwestern Continent, I propose "Gothis" or "Gothas" (Goth-is and Goth-us respectively). This references the Gotic, who have had/have a very large impact and influence on the continent, and are present in all current nations on the continent (excluding Cojedes, for the most part). This would be a bastardization of the Andrennian/Goyanean "Got Has(s)", or literally "Gotic House".

Andrenne:
For the Northwestern Continent, I propose "Gothis" or "Gothas" (Goth-is and Goth-us respectively). This references the Gotic, who have had/have a very large impact and influence on the continent, and are present in all current nations on the continent (excluding Cojedes, for the most part). This would be a bastardization of the Andrennian/Goyanean "Got Has(s)", or literally "Gotic House".
While the gotic people do dominate the Northwest, I think it would be unfair to Cojedes to name it after the majority ethnicity, since it excludes his country from the continents name.

Iraelia:
Andrenne:
While the gotic people do dominate the Northwest, you would be remiss to forget that Cojedes, a non-gotic nation, also inhabits the continent.
Well, while this is true, it's mostly referencing the large historical impact they had on the continent. It could be bastardized further, if that helps make it less Gotic.

Andrenne:
Iraelia:
Andrenne:
While the gotic people do dominate the Northwest, you would be remiss to forget that Cojedes, a non-gotic nation, also inhabits the continent.
Well, while this is true, it's mostly referencing the large historical impact they had on the continent. It could be bastardized further, if that helps make it less Gotic.
Yes, you should bastardize it more

Andrenne:
As much as I hate to *shudder* agree with Flakey, I do believe it should be altered somewhat in Mercanti. Though Gotics are the majority of the continent, it seems a tad bit unfair to Alexey.

SAA Kanada:
Andrenne:
As much as I hate to *shudder* agree with Flakey, I do believe it should be altered somewhat in Mercanti. Though Gotics are the majority of the continent, it seems a tad bit unfair to Alexey.
I've got no problem bastardizing it more, I just don't have a current bastardized form of the already bastardized form. If any of you have ideas for one, I'm more than willing to hear you out.

Andrenne:
SAA Kanada:
Andrenne:
I've got no problem bastardizing it more, I just don't have a current bastardized form of the already bastardized form. If any of you have ideas for one, I'm more than willing to hear you out.
May I suggest "Gathas", as a further bastardization?

Goyanes:
Andrenne:
SAA Kanada:
Andrenne:
May I suggest "Gathas", as a further bastardization?
So would Gathas and Gothaus be variations of the same?

SAA Kanada:
Cogoria:
That's an interesting proposal, I wouldn't mind having that either. Both Craviter and Avignia could be viable options in my opinion, but Craviter contains more of the continent, not just the area containing the Phoenix strait.
"Craviter" doesn't exactly sound like a placename though. I changed it up a bit, though. How about Cavitria?

(still prefer Avignia though)

Syrixia:
SAA Kanada:
Cogoria:
"Craviter" doesn't exactly sound like a placename though. I changed it up a bit, though. How about Cavitria?

(still prefer Avignia though)
Maybe Cabitria?

Im gonna stick with my suggestion of Craviter, as as for sounding like a place name there are many places that sound similar, and even then there's no rules on what a place should sound like.

Esplandia:
The islands in the southwest that Esplandia is on had a name suggested by Nightsong. He calls it Icenia. I'm going to put that one forward as the official name as I like it. I was just calling them the Western Isles.
I think Icenia is a good name too, for what it's worth :D

BraveSirRobin:
Esplandia:
I think Icenia is a good name too, for what it's worth :D
Icenia is very cold-sounding

So, I see a few posts in here that say that it would be unfair to me to name a continent Gathas or anything similar because of me not being Gotic. Personally, it doesn't bother me that much and I will go along with whatever they wanna call it. That's just my two cents.

Back