Cartography Discussion and Off-Topic Megathread

Cogoria:
Looking at the dominion of thick as thieves claim, is there a river in Cogoria? I cant seem to see tha second river on the right in the proper map cause of my laptop refusing to show decent resolution. Is it still there?
That's the old map that had a river there. I don't think your nation has a river shown on the map.

damn there goes my idea or filling the river with red food dye and calling it the "Red Tide Revolutionary Riviera"

Cogoria:
damn there goes my idea or filling the river with red food dye and calling it the "Red Tide Revolutionary Riviera"
Well, you can always ask the Map Gods for a river to be added to the map where your claim is / in the nearby area then go with your idea. You just need to appease the Map Gods to make this happen...

We aren't adding rivers to the map. And remember in general the rivers shown are massive. ~3-5 miles wide (~6-8 Km wide) that is Nile and Amazon level rivers. A one pixel river one the map at its full scale is on average wider then the Ohio/Mississippi River system which at its widest is 1-1.5 miles wide.

Lord Lore:
We aren't adding rivers to the map. And remember in general the rivers shown are massive. ~3-5 miles wide (~6-8 Km wide) that is Nile and Amazon level rivers. A one pixel river one the map at its full scale is on average wider then the Ohio/Mississippi River system which at its widest is 1-1.5 miles wide.
Just do what I did, guys; add your own rivers to your personal nation maps.

Are we allowed to add small landforms to the map? For example, can I re-add the islands I made to the map?

There is a wedge of land between me and Hyronimus (sorry if ive spelt it wrong) can this be reserved for future RPS and whoever 'wins the war' or what have you, annex's it?....

Cogoria:
There is a wedge of land between me and Hyronimus (sorry if ive spelt it wrong) can this be reserved for future RPS and whoever 'wins the war' or what have you, annex's it?....
Personally if you can get Hyronimus to agree I would love the idea.

Yay, it's blankness has gotten to me. What is there? Why has no one occupied it? Is the land there actually white? So many questions!

Would I be able to add more territory to my claim already? The reason why my claim earlier was small was because I thought I wouldn't be able to be active it the roleplay, but I was obviously wrong because I just spent almost two days on my factbooks.

I'll be using this topic for announcements from now on. Lorbank has joined the cartography team!

Congrats, Lorbank, you'll hate the entirety of the RP community within a few weeks. It at least takes longer than being an RP mod, trust me. :)

, the Cart team seem to prefer if you draw your claim borders onto the map so they actually know what to put on it....

Cogoria:
, the Cart team seem to prefer if you draw your claim borders onto the map so they actually know what to put on it....
^ More or less this but at the very least we need a rough estimate. Its not the job of cartography to make people's nations for them. That is a quick and easy way for people making claims to get angry at us and yell at us. Im not saying Emmanuel would do such a thing I am just saying that down the road it will happen if we are expected to draw people's claims for them.

Hell, I would have drawn it much differently then Yera would and MJ would probably draw it much differently then either of us would. Claims are meant to be personalized not drawn to the personal tastes of the cartographer of the time. xP

When should the next update on nation sizes be? I wan't to know my nations size for my factbook.

I was following the map that was updated on December 18th. May I please get an updated map?

May I change my nations name from "The Official United States of America" to "America under President Trump"

USA under Trump:
May I change my nations name from "The Official United States of America" to "America under President Drumpf"
Im gonna say this once. The day I put the words Official or Trump on my map for a claim is the day that I knit it into a giant blanket and then eat it.

This is Eras not Earth.

Mouxordia:
Can anyone tell me what in blazes that inset is supposed to be? It just looks likes a convoluted squiggly line to me.
It is the nation of SillyString, a small island nation which has a peculiar shape.

Lord Emmanuel:
Darcania:
Esplandia:
I was wondering if someone could tell me the current area of Esplandia now that I have my exspansion
http://nswiki.org/index.php?title=L...nd_dependent_territories_in_the_North_Pacific

Updated with every map update, iirc, and the link is posted at the bottom of every map update post. Esplandia has 138,922 km2 according to that link.
Scallendovia is not in the list.
tfolr.png

Please read the whole line. "Updated 9/28". I hate updating that thing. Its a chore, and on my list of chores one of the most annoying to do. So yeah, I haven't updated it in several months. If you want to give it a go be my guests and you will see just how annoying it is to update. I will even give you the link to my spreadsheet with everyone's nation sizes.

Question: has anyone done any sort of work with the topography, names of bodies of water and continents, and the like? If so, where is it listed? I'd like to flesh-out my Factbook, but I can't find any of this info.

Mouxordia:
Question: has anyone done any sort of work with the topography, names of bodies of water and continents, and the like? If so, where is it listed? I'd like to flesh-out my Factbook, but I can't find any of this info.
Well, firstly, make a claim. Then people could help you with those specific things concerning where your claim is. :lol:

Well just name everything whatever you like in your factbook, every nation might name things different, for instance I refer to the strait as the Divide, and the continent as Osttir. Its all perspective.

Syrixia:
Well, firstly, make a claim. Then people could help you with those specific things concerning where your claim is. :lol:
Gotcha! I just made my own claim for a small piece of land on the center continent. c:

Yeah, actually, that makes sense! Still, I'd like to not simply invent whole mountain ranges where others have decided there wouldn't be, etc. Once I know where the topographical features are, though, I can just name them whatever I want!

It something that's definitely going to be in discussion - along with a few other worldbuilding things.

My area on the map is different from the one I requested. The area I'm missing to the southeast was empty, and I claimed it.

kEsZCCb.jpg
P8TvOMm.jpg

I don't know if this was a mistake, or if I just need to deal with it. Either way, I thought I would just throw that out there.

Thanks for your hard work, map folks! :)

Its because there's a country there methinks..... Looks like the mods compensated the land out eastwards though

Corporal Clegg:
My area on the map is different from the one I requested. The area I'm missing to the southeast was empty, and I claimed it.

kEsZCCb.jpg
P8TvOMm.jpg

I don't know if this was a mistake, or if I just need to deal with it. Either way, I thought I would just throw that out there.

Thanks for your hard work, map folks! :)
Have already claim that area before you do. So its not a mistake.

Back