RolePlay Moderator
-
Deputy Speaker
-
-
-
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Discussion of the contents of the new map goes here. Discussion of the decision to reset the map goes here

Is there any way to include parts of the old map in the new one or anything? I've designed a great deal of my country, it's history, it's political alliances, it's population and population density, the size of some of it's cities, the Archlancer Pact, the very structure of it's army and navy, and much much more have ended up being heavily influenced by it's location. The lot of those factors has determined part of what role my nation has played and continued to play in any role-play. A brand new map has completely tossed all of the logic behind these things out, including part of the very identity of my nation based on it's central island location. I'll admit to not checking the map section that often anymore and if there was some warning or inclusion of the community in this debate I'm sorry to have missed it but I don't believe I'm the first person and certainly not the last person of what I imagine to be a great deal of people in the community affected by this. This is suddenly and completely changing the entire world of Eras and adversely affecting all the relationships between all the nations within who are active in roleplay, most of whom were firmly established on the old map. This is a huge change, why was a wipe and an entirely new map selected instead of repairing the old one in some measure? I hate to say it but I'm really dissapointed in this choice.

The main reason we were debating over this was to be quite honest the fault of the cartography team itself. There was little explanation on the procedure for making a claim and the stale and slow updates of the previous map, having only two cartographers, so the previous team, madjack, Plembobria, and Lord Lore, decided to recruit the other members, Cronaal, and I, and rework the map to breathe some fresh air into the cartography. It was unfortunate that we had to remove so many geographical features and force nations to effectively reconsider their place in the world, and was one of the main preliminary objections. However, you'll note that (unfortunately not yours) much of the previous map has actually been preserved, though tweaked slightly. Keep in mind the cartographers were affected by the changes as much as you were. It is unfortunate that we can't please everyone with our work, but we are only human (or cat, in Cronaal's case), so we can only offer you our best with this new map. If you have any suggestions regarding new map, please let us now and we would be happy to listen to you.

At the moment I'm just rather frustrated with the fact that I've been almost completely shafted by these changes, understandably so I believe. Is there any way then that Archlancer Island at least could be placed on the map with The Lancerian Empire on it then? It would be really difficult for me to build all of these things up again and I think that both me and Archegnum would appreciate it greatly.

I am also unsure how to proceed from this point. My factbook and history was based upon an Empire of nations that had been on the same continent. Also geographically I cannot see anything that is similar to the way I have laid out my land masses and states. Would it be possible for the Kian continent to be added to this redesign? I can see similarities in the eastern lands, but it looks like the landmass that my nation and others were on has basically been removed entirely.

I totally appreciate the work that the Cartography team does on the maps, but it would have probably been a good idea to vote on this or involve the wider public before it was rolled out.

I can understand the frustration, but at the same time, I mentioned in multiple areas that I was considering or had considered a map reboot - on these forums, on irc and we discussed it at length on the discord in the public IRC channel. I'll concede that we would have had a better response had we more openly publicised these changes, but these changes were made for good reasons.

The new map, whilst having more land total - by a measure of over 1.35 million pixels, equivalent to at least three and a half GBM's on the old map - it is closer together and more compact, meaning more reasons for nations to interact. I'd consider a good trade off if we end up in a situation with fewer but more active nations because of this.

The cartography team will do their best to help you find a new claim, but I'm afraid we may not be able to add continents from the old map.

The only thing I'm upset about is how much I loved how my old nation looked and was shaped. It's gonna take me a bit to get over it but I surely will...eventually. I guess the good thing to come out of this is that I'm finally gonna be forced to do that reset of my history that I had been planning for some time. And McM, I'm still interested in having been part of your empire but the dates for my war for independence will likely change.

Yeah, I totally agree with Esplandia and the situation is the same with me.
Moreover, I won't start to build up a country in the aspect of maps and history, if I am forced to demolish them.
And finally, I'd like to ask someone about when the next map delete will be? Because if in some months, I won't start my factbook again.

Lorbank:
Yeah, I totally agree with Esplandia and the situation is the same with me.
Moreover, I won't start to build up a country in the aspect of maps and history, if I am forced to demolish them.
And finally, I'd like to ask someone about when the next map delete will be? Because if in some months, I won't start my factbook again.
Its more likely going to be years. This was months in the making and only because a lot of people namely the cartography staff itself that wasn't happy with the map and what he had become.

We were pressured into keep adding to the map piecemeal. We never really got the change to stop and make it all work together. And that frustration finally came to a head and we decided instead of trying to fix it patch by patch slowly replacing it. Instead we were going to do it the right way and do something that has only happened twice before. A hard reset.

It was the only way to truely fix all the problem and be fair to everyone.

It's been 18 months since we last reset the map. Honestly I'm looking to go at least double that before touching anything like that again.

Esplandia:
The only thing I'm upset about is how much I loved how my old nation looked and was shaped. It's gonna take me a bit to get over it but I surely will...eventually. I guess the good thing to come out of this is that I'm finally gonna be forced to do that reset of my history that I had been planning for some time. And McM, I'm still interested in having been part of your empire but the dates for my war for independence will likely change.
We can still do the whole Syrixian conquest of Esplandia and eventual Esplandian reunification thing, right? (Though with conscience to your reworked history)

It was pretty cool and a great historical collab.

My apologies for not being clear, but the claim I requested was for Myroria and it was added as "Ilamzat". I was waiting for McM to be added before I placed Ilamzat due to shared culture/religion.

Myroria:
My apologies for not being clear, but the claim I requested was for Myroria and it was added as "Ilamzat". I was waiting for McM to be added before I placed Ilamzat due to shared culture/religion.
Yeah I realized it right after I posted it. But I was both too drunk and too tired to fix it. So I left it to fix in the next update. xP

Turns out Ceretis used to be where I've made my claim... Oh well. I'll revisit this soon and make another claim :)

Syrixia:
Esplandia:
We can still do the whole Syrixian conquest of Esplandia and eventual Esplandian reunification thing, right? (Though with conscience to your reworked history)

Actually the invasion and fight won't be greatly affected, so that part of my history won't change much. My changes will be to what came before and then a little bit after.

Esplandia:
Syrixia:
Esplandia:

Actually the invasion and fight won't be greatly affected, so that part of my history won't change much. My changes will be to what came before and then a little bit after.
Great! I'm totally reworking Syrixia as well. You'll all love it.

And after only forty minutes of effort and using my original map, I give you the geography of new Esplandia.

htblxzK.jpg

Also, if it's not too much to ask of, could Xentherida be geographically shaped as it was beforehand? With the curving peninsula on the east, and the small lakes that made a peninsula, after which the city of Peninsalia is named for. Thanks!

Nebs, I hope you realise that it doesn't matter if I objected to the Kalinins or not because the Crol isles are physically part of the map and out of my control :P

Cronaal:
Nebs, I hope you realise that it doesn't matter if I objected to the Kalinins or not because the Crol isles are physically part of the map and out of my control :P
Well, unless you've nuked and retconned part of your islands history, technically you could object to him taking the islands again. Just sayin'... But then again, this might also cause yet another war so probably best to leave it alone...

Nightsong:
Cronaal:
Well, unless you've nuked and retconned part of your islands history, technically you could object to him taking the islands again. Just sayin'... But then again, this might also cause yet another war so probably best to leave it alone...
but whose going to tell him to gtfo? got nobody 8D

Nebula:
NbrGbXb.png
If Cronaal wishes to object to me having the Kalinins again then we can discuss that, I don't think there'll be any other issues though. Sorry about the shit quality- I cannot graphics.
EHI! Gets your hands off from my peninsula!! And from my island too!!

Nessuno:
Nebula:
NbrGbXb.png
If Cronaal wishes to object to me having the Kalinins again then we can discuss that, I don't think there'll be any other issues though. Sorry about the shit quality- I cannot graphics.
you had every opportunity to claim it for yourself

Nebula:
Nessuno:
Nebula:
NbrGbXb.png
you had every opportunity to claim it for yourself
I thought that they were included in my claims

Nessuno:
I point you to Rule 1 of the map. If you don't give me an image you get what you get. You said. old claim, and I transfered the old claim right into the map and made it fit the new geography.

If you can't follow the simplest of rules, then you have no right to complain when things don't go 100% as you like.

Lord Lore:
Nessuno:
I point you to Rule 1 of the map. If you don't give me an image you get what you get. You said. old claim, and I transfered the old claim right into the map and made it fit the new geography.

If you can't follow the simplest of rules, then you have no right to complain when things don't go 100% as you like.
Since that peninsula is checked out with the new map I thought it might be given to me since it was pretty much on my territory.
I'm sorry if with my first reply to Nebula i gave the impression of beign angry, that was not my intent.

I'm sure that we can find a compromise (maybe a RP like The Pig War of 1859 :D )

Hey Nebula, are we ret-conning the port swap? If not, you can still have Port Florrantia, but Andromezadite will have to be marked out again.

Junie:
That island right next to me you have highlighted I kinda meant to claim too. Same with the other two small (like, a few pixels wide and long) islands around me.

Just wanted to clarify. If the Map Gods could put those in that would be nice.

Back