Worldbuilder
-
TNP Nation
Goyanes
Discord
goya#6469
jz0mWrIl.png

THE PAN-GOTIC UNION

The Pan-Gotic Union is a economic and defense union created to join together the nations of gotic heritage, ancestry, and/or cultural ties. The headquarters of the PGU are located in Cosona, Xentherida.

Full Members:
Xentherida
Goyanes
Vestrugat Federation
Yalkan
Ilian Coalition
Gotmark
Prydania
Valland
Malor-Kanada
Highton
Ulstome
Essalanea
Mintoria
Andrenne
Observer States:
Cojedes

Chancellor of the PGU: Jorgen Årnad, Goyanes
Deputy Chancellor of the PGU: VACANT

Constitution of the Pan-Gotic Union

Preamble

The nations of Eras which share a common Gotic ancestry hereby convene to establish a union in the common interests of mutual defense, trade, stability, and cooperation. We judge that the creation of a Pan-Gotic Union (PGU) is vital to the protection of our common goals and interests within the global community.

Article 1. Regarding the Constitution and Council

1. The laws laid out here in this Constitution are binding international legislation that cannot be opted out from.

2. A body shall be created to draft and amend legislation, hereby known as the PGU Council, that will feature parliamentarians from each member state to participate in deliberations.

3. Legislation passed by the PGU Council outside of the Constitution is in no way binding, and member states may choose not to participate with legislation, unless it is deemed hurtful to the general progress of the PGU.

Article 2. Regarding the Internal Functions of the PGU

1. The PGU Council may set legislation on the general functioning of the PGU, trade relations, amend the PGU Constitution, and accept and eject members.

2. A majority vote must be reached for legislation to be passed. A three-quarters majority vote must be reached to accept someone as a full member. If a three-quarter majority vote is not reached, but there is still a plurality vote for the application nation to join, then applicant in question will become an observer state. If there is not a plurality for their membership, the applicant in question will be rejected.

3. The PGU Council will elect a Chancellor to preside over the body. The Chancellor may call sessions to parliament, represent the interests of the PGU abroad, and mediate discussion in the Council.

4. The PGU Chancellor may serve up to four consecutive 4-month terms. Every 4 months, an election will be held. Should the election result in a tie, a runoff election will be held, with the two highest ranking candidates from the original race.

5. The Chancellor will appoint a Deputy to assist him/her in their roles as Chancellor. In the event of a long-term absence by the Chancellor, the Deputy shall serve as Chancellor until their return or the next election, whichever comes first.

6. Nations wishing to call a session of the Council may contact the PGU Chancellor or the Deputy Chancellor, who will start the session, mentioning the requesting nation, and their reason for starting a session.

7. Candidacy declarations shall last for four days after the announcement of elections by the Chancellor of the PGU. Following the closure of the declaration, there shall be three days of debate among the declared candidates followed by a three day voting period. Should no clear winner be determined by the end of the voting period, a runoff election shall be held and overseen the Chancellor of the PGU.

8. Members of the PGU that have declared candidacy in the Chancellor elections must abstain from voting to keep it fair and equal to all members.

Article 3. Regarding the Economics of the PGU

1. Member states will provide a membership fee of .0005% of their nominal GDP, which will be kept in a union treasury.

2. Funds from the membership fees will help pay for humanitarian operations and the administration of the PGU.

3. Member states reserve the right to maintain protectionist policies, however they do not have the right to invoke protectionist policies that the PGU Council believes interfere with existing trade regulation and/or the PGU Constitution.

Article 4. Regarding the Mutual Defence of the PGU

1. Attacks on member nations incurred as part of conflicts pursued by other organisations shall not be considered an act of war on the entire PGU, unless otherwise deemed so by the PGU Council

2. Should a member state of the PGU conduct an attack or declare war on another nation, the other member nations of the PGU are in no way obliged to assist in the conflict.

3. If an attack conducted by a member state is deemed unjustified by the PGU Council, they may elect to suspend the membership of said aggressor member state until further notice

Article 5. Regarding the Eligibility of Membership to the PGU

1. A nation is eligible to apply to the PGU as a full member on the basis that at least two thirds of their population is of Gotic descent, or originally had a Gotic-based culture.

2. A nation is eligible to apply as an observer state even if they do not meet the Gotic heritage requirements, do not meet the voting requirement, or are a former colonial possession of a Gotic nation.

Article 6. Regarding Matters of Cultural Affairs

1. The flag of the Pan-Gotic Union shall be displayed below.
jz0mWrI.png
2. The seal of the Pan-Gotic Union shall be displayed below.

Article 7. Signatories

The Ratification of the Conventions of these presiding member States, shall be sufficient for the Establishment of this Constitution between the Nations so ratifying the Same.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the Nations present the 21 Day of April in the Year 2017. In Witness whereof We have hereunto subscribed our Names,

Grand Emperor Anthony I, Goyanes
Prime Minister Jon Norberg, Goyanes

King Martyn Severyn, Maloria
Lord Chancellor Lukas Kent, Maloria
Secretary of Foreign Affairs Gelmer Floris, Maloria

King Christian III, Xentherida
Deputy Prime Minister Leona Antonsson, Xentherida
Delegate to the PGU Mats Odenberg, Xentherida

King Lukas II, Andrenne
Prime Minister Olivia Wehrn, Andrenne
Minister of Foreign Affairs Sven Kalder, Andrenne

Prime Minister Johann Leonit, SAA Kanada

King Sherwin V, Hastfradic League
Chancellor Klaus auf Haetenbaerg, Hastfradic League
Vice Chancellor Monti Reginald det Prushten, Hastfradic League

Premier Adina Icrena, Ilian Coalition
Director of Foreign Affairs Julean el Trecht, Ilian Coalition

Prime Minister Darren Nevil, Yalkan

King Tobias III, Prydania
Prime Minister William Aubyn, Prydania

Grand Duke Oyvind Borgeson, Gotmark
Noting that there can be a great benefit to standardizing ammunition in times of war and peace, as it will increase military cooperation and effectiveness,

Recognizing that the members of this union already use similar or the same ammunition types,

Having considered the effects of ammo standardization,

Encourages the member states of the PGU to adopt and retain the standard ammunition types listed below, if not done so already;

1. Designates the 5.56x45mm cartridge as a standard PGU round for rifles;
2. Designates the 7.62x51mm cartridge as an alternate standard PGU round for rifles;
3. Designates the 5.7x28mm cartridge as a standard PGU round for pistols and submachine guns;
4. Designates the 9x19mm cartridge as an alternate standard PGU round for pistols and submachine guns;
5. Designates the 12.7x99mm (.50) as a standard PGU round for heavy machine guns, long range targeting guns, and anti-materiel rifles;
6. Endorses future cooperation among national defense contractors when designing future military small arms rounds.
Pan-Gotic Union Seeds and Genetic Materials Bank​

Purpose:

The purpose of this Vault is for the storage of plant seeds and the genetic material of plants and animals endemic to the nations of the PGU, by storing the aforementioned material within a large vault at chilled temperatures to ensure that metabolic activity is kept to a minimum, preserving the seeds and genetic material for several thousand years. The material will be then taken and used to repopulate that species should it fall into risk of extinction.

Sample donation:

Seed donations will be contained in four-ply foil packages and placed in plastic totes within the storage facility. Embryos or gametes will be stored in liquid nitrogen canisters in the facility. Donations will be accepted from all PGU member and observer states, free of charge.

Financing:

The project will be completely funded and maintained by the Goyanean government in accordance with all the specifications laid herein. There is to be no charge to any donors to the bank.

Temperature:

Within the vault, the room temperature shall be -18°C, or -0.4°F or 255.15°K. This shall be maintained not only by the cold temperatures of the mountain, and shall be cooled by refrigeration units within the vault, powered by solar panels atop and around the vault. The sandstone of the mountain, and its permafrost, shall provide additional insulation, to prevent the warming of the vault’s interior to freezing point for two centuries.

Size:

The facility is to be approximately 1500 m2 in size, which provides ample room for various quantities of samples.

The seed vault is to be located on the ridge of the mountain Fjerg Svartsvind, located in the Northern branch of the Kongsland Range, in southern Osanhalt, Goyanes. The vault is going to be at the elevation mark of 2962 m.

Last edited:
The Constitutional Monarchy of SAA Kanada wishes to join the Pan-Gotic Union, in order to strengthen relations with nations who share historical and cultural ties.

The Goyanean delegation to the PGU nominates Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, Jorgen Årnad to run for the Chancellor of the PGU.

The Malorian Delegation hereby nominates Secretary of Foreign Affairs, Gelmer Floris for the great role of Chancellor of the PGU.

In a response to Kanada's termination of alliance with Cogoria, we would like to reaffirm that such move was in no way necessary in order to attain full membership. Recreating the alliance will not disqualify Kanada from applying for full membership of the PGU. However, a vote regarding Kanada's membership will take place after the vote regarding the Chancellor.

The candidacy declaration period is now over. Candidates have three days to give a short speech to the Council.

Jorgen Årnad walked up to the podium of the council chamber. He cleared his throat and began speaking in his signature Goyanean accent.
Jorgen Årnad's Campaign Speech:
"Distinguished members of the PGU Council, my name is Jorgen Årnad. As the director of the Goyanean Delegation to the PGU Council, my fellow colleagues have nominated me to run for Chancellor. I have decided to take up this nomination with great honor and pride, and I pledge that I will lead the PGU to greatness."

"First, though, we must start off with a bit of my own personal background. I started out my life as a young farmer at my parents' homestead in rural Kongsland province. Growing up, I needed to care for my parents, who were growing old. At the age of 7 I was sent off to boarding school in Asturenn. I tried my best to achieve what I could possibly do. I graduated college, grateful that my parents worked hard and that I gave back to them."

"My first job was as an office aid at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in 1993. I was able to work my way up the ladder of command, and I was able to get a position as Deputy of Foreign Affairs on the Northwestern Continent. In 2006, I was elected as a Stortinget MP for Nansinger, Kongsland. Former Prime Minister Sven Bringsson chose me to be the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Goyanes."

"As Foreign Minister, I enacted sweeping reforms in the Ministry and gave invaluable advice to Prime Minister Bringsson, and also made considerable strides in Goyanean foreign relations, strides whose legacies are apparent to this day. These qualities have shaped and formed me into the man I am today. Without these qualities, I would not have the leadership properties required to fill this great position."

"Now for some policy. I intend to guide the PGU to great success. With me as Chancellor, you can be assured that the PGU will strive to maintain global peace and a sense of unity among our fellow Gotic neighbors. I also pledge to encourage increased military cooperation and information sharing, so as to protect the interests of all member states. My platform also values and supports economic cooperation to make the PGU a global economic powerhouse."

"I wish to continue the longstanding relationship with the Phoenix Union via the ANU friendship treaty, which we shall request to be renamed, as the PGU is by no means an alliance of just Nordic nations. We shall also ensure a foreign policy that expands the relationship between our alliances."

"Together, as one Union, a Union of the Gotic people standing in solidarity, we can make great strides. I wish to, as Chancellor, guide us above and beyond. I hope that I have your vote, and to Gelmer Floris I wish the best in the election to come. God bless the PGU, and God bless you all!"

Gelmer gets onto the podium and begins to speak.
“Hello I’m Gelmer Floris, the Secretary of Foreign Affairs for Maloria. I have been nominated by the government of Maloria for the role of Chancellor of the Pan-Gotic Union. I must say this is a very big honor to be here and I wish my competitor the best of luck.”

“You may ask what makes me qualified for this great position,I’ll tell you. I graduated from Earn University (Maloria’s best university) as the best of my class. I later signed up for the Department of Foreign Affairs and I was assigned to the Kanadian Embassy. From there I soared up the ranks and I was eventually made ambassador. Soon after that I was made Deputy Secretary and after a couple years I was made Secretary.”

“Unlike my competitor however I wasn’t born from humble beginnings. My father was an executive at a very successful oil company and my mother was a stay at home mom. I was born in 1950, the year that the Fascist War ended in the North East Theatre. My father was drafted into the military and served in the war on the Western Front, however I was born while he was out in combat.”

“In the year 1967 I was 17 and the Coalition War occurred and led to the fall of Gart Helmer and the Greater Malorian Realm. I signed up for the Liberation Army in hopes that I could bring freedom to my people and the others that were under the iron fist of Gart Helmer. The one battle I regret to this day is the battle of Arkum. It first started as a protest and quickly escalated into a massacre. I saw this little girl left alone so I decided that I would have to help her. I walked over to the girl and said to her ‘You need to leave now it isn’t safe here’. So I quickly took the girl with me and while I was taking her to safety a tank fired at the building right beside of us. Massive amounts of debris were falling off of the building and in an attempt to save the girl I pushed her out of the way and the debris came down on me. There was this massive piece of a balcony that crushed my legs and shattered them effectively crippling me for the rest of my life.”

“Through my life I have been a fighter and that will never change. If I am chosen to lead this grand union then I will focus on the internal cooperation between the members of the union. We will increase trade and we will help any of our fellow Gotic brethren with anything they need. This however only applies to members of the union as I believe we should remain neutral in foreign conflicts. If a nation wants to help individually then they have that right but as a whole neutrality should be one of our most important characteristics.”

“Thank you for listening to me and may Heit bless our union and Jorgen Arnad.”

The debate period has now ended and the voting period has officially begun. The voting period will last 3 days, and candidates cannot vote for themselves. Please use the following format to vote.

Code:
[b]Nation:[/b]
[b]Vote:[/b] < Goyanes, Jorgen Årnad | Maloria, Gelmer Floris | Abstain >

Seeing as every member nation of the PGU has voting, the voting period is now closed. The voting results will now be revealed.

Goyanes, Jorgen Årnad [c] 3 votes [c]Maloria, Gelmer Floris[c]0 votes[c]Abstain[c]2 votes

Goyanes's chosen candidate, Jorgen Årnad, is the election victor, and is therefore appointed Chancellor, with all associated rights and responsibilities. I, Mats Odenberg, hereby relinquish the aforementioned role.

Jorgen Årnad walked up to the podium of the Council Room.

"Good day my honorable councilmen and women. Today I come before you, not just as a member of this council, but now as the first official Chancellor of the PGU. I thank my fellow contestant Gelmer Floris for his enthusiastic campaign. But now, we must get to more official business."

Årnad cleared his throat.

"I hereby announce the opening of the 1st PGU Council. The orders of business I propose before the assembly for debate are, A. The Admission of Kanada as a full member state, and the invitation of Yalkan to join the PGU as a member state. I am with full confidence that they will become productive members of our Union. B. I would also like to propose the Union Relaxed Borders Agreement, or URBA, which would allow for fast and easy travel between the member and observer states of the PGU. C. I would like to invite a delegation from Ceretis to negotiate a possible trade agreement with their nation, as they are a large economic powerhouse, and would prove beneficial to the Union as a whole."

He stepped down from the podium, and started the official debate process in the council.

Hans Elsanda walked up to the podium,

"Hello ladies and gentlemen, my name is Hans Elsanda, the Kanadian representative of the Pan-Gotic Union. I'm here to reason why you should vote yes on making SAA Kanada a full member of this union."

"Kanada is a blooming nation with a gotic culture, like the rest of the PGU members. Modernization is taking place across the nation, including the move from the focus of the economy on wheat and lumber onto more progressive items. More factories are being produced. Though lumber shall still be a major trading item."

"The Kanadian military has been modernized also, meaning that if war ever must come, Kanada will be supportive and effective in combat."

"We also have many close ties to nations already inside the PGU, such as Maloria, Andrenne, et cetera. So I feel that adding Kanada to the Pan-Gotic Union to join our great Gotic brothers and sisters. Vote Yes."

He steps down from the podium and walks back to his seat.

Årnad returned to the podium.

"My colleague makes a considerable point. Kanada would benefit greatly from the trade opportunities offered by the PGU."

"If anyone else wishes to input on this issue... Go ahead."

- Adina Icrena, Premier of the Coalition Cabinet
- Julean el Trecht, Director of Foreign Relations
To:
- Jorgen Arnard, Chancellor of the Pan-Gotic Union
- Council of the PGU, at-large

While it is true that the Coalition is not an overwhelming majority of Gothic, it is truth that the Gothic blood runs deep in our people and our culture. Beyond the language we speak and the form of government we have chosen for ourselves, we still acknowledge our roots and follow the customs of our ancestors.

Our studies and estimation is that Ilia will maintain its Gothic identity well into the next several generations into as far as we can predict, and as such we have brought the issue to the Ilian Unified Cabinet, My Government has managed to come to a unanimous decision on this union.

I has no doubt that we can muster the votes in our Senate for a vote of approval and therefor, we would like to request to start the formal procedure for the Coalition of the Greater Ilian Region to join your organization.

~Adina Icrena, Premier of the Coalition Cabinet of Directors & Chairwoman of the Coalition Senate.

Jorgen Årnad steps up to the podium.

"If there are no further comments on Kanada's acceptance, I would like to propose one last bit of stuff to the council. I have received a letter from the Ilian Coalition cabinet notifying of their intent to join the PGU. I approve of their intent to join. I open the council for debate. If no member wishes to debate, I shall open the voting session."

The motion is accepted. Nations may vote with the following code.

Code:
Accept Kanada into the PGU as a member state: < Yes | No | Abstain >
Accept the Ilian Coalition into the PGU as a member state: < Yes | No | Abstain >

Accept Kanada into the PGU as a member state: < Yes >
Accept the Ilian Coalition into the PGU as a member state: < Yes >

There is a quotation, inscribed upon an arch in the city of Droit, one of the historical capitals of Gotmark. It reads;

"Just as the trees in the forest all owe their origin to a single seed, so too are the Gotic peoples united in one origin." - Johannes Geiter, Grand Duke of Gotmark 1788​
In light of this, and following the ascent of the current Grand Duke of Gotmark, His Royal Highness Paul Geiter, the Grand Duchy of Gotmark requests to join the Pan-Gotic Union to achieve a more closer union with our Gotic brothers.

There has been a unanimous approval for all candidates for membership.
Kanada and Ilia are hereby accepted as full members of the PGU.

Xentherida would like to advise the Union to deny ABC's request, seeing as they have absolutely nothing to do with Gotic culture whatsoever.

The Empire of Maloria agrees with Xentherida that ABC should not be given observer.

The Foreign Ministry of the Empire of Kannex (Kaiserreich Kannex) has dispatched an official communique to the assembly of the Pan-Gotic Union, signaling the Empire's intention to join the Pan-Gotic Union as an observer state. A majority of Kannexans speak German, considered by linguists to be a Gotic language. German has flourished alongside Mandarin as an official language of the Reich. The Empire looks forward to future cooperation on cultural, political, and economic matters.

The chancellor of the union accepts the request to join and would like the Kannexan Empire to provide a document listing economic statistics, military statistics, and other general statistics for the union to consider before moving on.

The Empire of Kannex (Kaiserreich Kannex) consists of 178 million people as of the last census, with a GDP of 5.162 trillion. The Imperial Kannexan Armed Forces consists of one million total, active and reserved combine. A general overview of the Empire of Kannex can be found here. The fact that the Empire's population is only half ethnic Gotic and the Empire's desire to not be bound by the PGU's military obligations explain the Empire's desire to join as an observer state rather than a full member.

The delegation from the Hastfradic League would like to request a clarification of part of the constitution, specifically in Article 3; Section 3:

3. Member states reserve the right to maintain protectionist policies, however they do not have the right to invoke protectionist policies that the PGU Council believes interfere with existing trade regulation and/or the PGU Constitution.

In this instance what is meant by 'Protectionist Policies'? We would greatly appreciate an official definition of said term.

The Consitutional Monarchy of SAA Kanada supports Maloria and Xentherida's opinion, and believes that ABC should not be given access as a observer state. Like Xentherida mentioned, they are not Gotic whatsoever, are far away from any current member, and never stated much information about their nation.

We do, however, support Kannex and their request to join as a observer state. They have a powerful economy with a GDP of 5 trillion, and Kanada would like to open easy trade with them. With half Gotic ethnicity, we feel that they are 'Gotic' enough to join.

And a question:
5. The Chancellor will appoint a Deputy to assist him/her in their roles as Chancellor. In the event of a long-term absence by the Chancellor, the Deputy shall serve as Chancellor until their return or the next election, whichever comes first.
Will there be an option to suggest someone for Deputy of the PGU, or will the Chancellor just choose someone out of the blue?

Esplandia:
The delegation from the Hastfradic League would like to request a clarification of part of the constitution, specifically in Article 3; Section 3:

In this instance what is meant by 'Protectionist Policies'? We would greatly appreciate an official definition of said term.

SAA Kanada:
The Consitutional Monarchy of SAA Kanada supports Maloria and Xentherida's opinion, and believes that ABC should not be given access as a observer state. Like Xentherida mentioned, they are not Gotic whatsoever, are far away from any current member, and never stated much information about their nation.

We do, however, support Kannex and their request to join as a observer state. They have a powerful economy with a GDP of 5 trillion, and Kanada would like to open easy trade with them. With half Gotic ethnicity, we feel that they are 'Gotic' enough to join.

And a question:
Will there be an option to suggest someone for Deputy of the PGU, or will the Chancellor just choose someone out of the blue?

To the Hastfradic Delegation: Protectionist Policies are laws enacted to defend industry within the member state's nation. However, protectionist policies enacted against other members of the union would promote a sense of disconnect in the community that is not endorsed by the PGU.

To the Kanadian Delegation: The Chancellor will accept suggestions, but he already has a deputy nomination. He will present the nomination for Deputy this weekend.

Back