Pan-Gotic Union

VOTE:

Accept Gotmark into the PGU as a member state?

<YES>

Start drafting official guidelines for the PGU Battlegroups agreement?

<NO>

VOTE:

<YES>

<YES>

VOTE:

<YES>

<YES>

VOTE:

<YES>

<YES>

After receiving all the voting cards, the aid counted and tallied them, passing the results sheet to Årnad.

Årnad stood.

"The results are in. For the motion of accepting Gotmark into the PGU, the members unanimously approve. For the motion of the decision to start drafting guidelines for the PGU battlegroups agreement, 5 yea, 3 nay, the vote passes. I would like to remind the members of this council that the PGU battlegroups agreement is non binding legislation.

Join me in giving congratulations to the nation of Gotmark upon its admission to this union."

Brandt stood, to address the representative from Gotmark.
"Prydania congratulates the people of the Grand Duchy on their ascension to this union."

Årnad Stood.

"Members, the time has come for the second election for the Chancellor of the Pan-Gotic Union. I hereby open the candidacy declaration process, and place myself in the running once again for this most privileged office. Candidacy declarations shall last approximately 4 days, and then a formal debate period of three days will begin."

Code:
[b]Candidate:[/b]
[b]Nation:[/b]

Årnad stood once again.

"While we wait for candidacy declarations, I have a message to present regarding the current conflict in Thederic Nors.

A PGU Statement Regarding the Conflict in Thederic Nors

To all nations and representatives of the Pan-Gotic Union,

Noting that the Malorian Empire is now preparing to enter the conflict in Thederic Nors to assist the current government against a Communist Rebel group, I, Jorgen Årnad, the Chancellor of the Pan-Gotic Union acknowledge this action by the Malorian government, and do not find it in violation of the PGU constitution.

Nations and representatives in opposition to this are free to make their objections known for the consideration of this most esteemed council.

~The Rt. Hon. Jorgen Årnad, Chancellor of the PGU, The Imperial Goyanean Federation

Mrs. Vistell stood after waiting patiently for Mr. Årnad to finish, before briskly speaking in her semi-heavy Andrennian accent.

“The Constitutional Monarchy of Andrenne would like to formally put me forward as a candidate for the Chancellor of the PGU. We would also like to express our concern over the recent Kanadian declaration, and we hope that the PGU can discuss it as soon as possible.”

She sat back down, briefly speaking in quiet Andrennian to a man that had been sitting next to her, Sven Kalder, Minister of Foreign Affairs who had been sitting in on this meeting due to having a small amount of free time.

Candidate: The Right Honorable Madame Kari Vistell
Nation: The Constitutional Monarchy of Andrenne

Årnad stood.

"Mrs. Vistell, I have noted your declaration and placed it on the candidacy list. I would also like to discuss the ongoing situation in Kanada, as you have suggested, seeing as quite a bit of their populace has lost political representation, according to the news reports leaving the nation. I invite the Kanadian delegation to summarize the current situation in their nation for this assembly."

Solvan stood slowly, glancing at the sheet of paper in front of him. He cleared his throat and spoke softly, "The Parliament of the Constitutional Monarchy of Kanada has temporarily reduced the size of its members by roughly 50. All members removed were Sundeonian, and some were found to be supportive of the revolt that took place little over a month ago. Those found to fund the group have been arrested for treason, and are to be imprisoned for some time."

"The Parliament can work fine, and the Sundeonian people will have their representation returned within time while order is repaired in the region. That is all." He sat down.

Kif Krogh, filling in for Prydania's ambassador Magnus Brandt, stood.
"The Kingdom of Prydania finds the Empire of Maloria's actions in Thederic Nors to be welcome in this trying time. Only by direct action can the chaos in Craviter be dealt with. The RPAF continues to aide Thederic Nors ground forces, and we welcome Maloria's involvement."

He paused and turned to face the Kanadian representative.

"We also feel as if the situation in Kanada is an internal matter. The Kanadian government has always acted in good faith and we see no reason to suspect they are being anything but overly cautious during a time of unrest."

Kari waited for Mr. Krogh to finish before standing up once more. She cleared her throat before speaking once more.

"Of course we are very grateful for our Kanadian allies- Andrenne more so than many, due to our very long historical relationship. We were simply wary of that declaration, as we want to make sure everything is still okay over there, for lack of better term. If it is only temporary I see no major issues, however I do advise the Kanadians to appease the Sundeonians with something temporarily to avoid further angering them. I don't think any of us want a repeat of 1811."[note]This is a reference to the Kanadian "Duchy War" as Andrenne calls it, between Calgary and Sundeon from 1811-1814.[/note]

She made a small grin at the end of her sentence. Not to seem smug, just to try and hopefully lighten the mood a bit. Also to seem like she wasn't trying to be rude towards the Kanadians by saying that.

Jaevar stood up and added his voice to the discussion. "The Malorians giving aid to the people of Thedric Nors is well within their sovereign rights and does not put the PGU at any risk and therefore seems beyond the purview of this Union. Same, we believe, with the internal politics inside of Kanada. While every nation here has their right to take what ever individual actions for or against these current situations as they see fit, we see no reason for the PGU to take any action at all. Any action at this point in time would only serve to tarnish our reputation and set us on a path of regional policing as has been the bane of the Phoenix Union. It is not something that the Hastfradic League, or its members, will ever support."

Årnad stood.
"Seeing as time has elapsed for candidates to register, we will begin the speeches portion of the election process. I invite my competitor, Madam Vistell, to speak."

Madame Vistell stood, briskly clearing her throat. She was a bit nervous but managed to hide her nerves behind a good poker face.

“My fellow esteemed members of the PGU, I thank you for giving me the opportunity to speak. I may not be the most experienced, in terms of leading an international union, but I am experienced in politics. I’ve been in politics for nearly 15 years now, and before that I was a lawyer for 5 years. I learned at one of the best law schools in Andrenne, and soon after I got into politics I had gotten up to the position of Ambassador to the Skandan Embassy, in Saito. I stayed there until Olivia Wehrn was elected last year, and chose our former representative to the PGU, Sven Kalder, to be her Minister of Foreign Affairs. I was chosen to replace him, and here we are today. Although it may not be impressive compared to the résumés of some others in here, but I’m willing to at least try my hand at obtaining the position at the top PGU. Thank you for listening.”

She sat back down. Kari wasn’t entirely satisfied with her speech, in fact it had been made up on the spot. It was better than nothing, though. She hoped that she wouldn’t get laughed out of the room.

After applauding Madam Vistell for her speech, Årnad walked to the podium, reminiscing about the speech he gave four months ago before this very body.

"Distinguished members of the PGU Council, I return to you today to petition for your vote so I may continue my leadership of the PGU. I wish to continue this excellent track record of stable, proven leadership. In terms of future policy, I wish to finally start up drafting of the Battlegroups treaty, which the approval for drafting was already passed by this assembly, and I also intend to draft several trade resolutions that will strengthen and fortify the economies of our member nations.

I also want to propose a cultural project which will consist of a "PGU Games" which will be held at intervals decided by this body in the future.

Together, as one Union, a Union of the Gotic people standing in solidarity, we can make great strides. I wish to, as your Chancellor, continue to guide us above and beyond. I hope that I have your vote, and to Madam Vistell I wish the best in the election to come. God bless the PGU, and God bless you all!"

Årnad's aide handed out the ballot cards.
Code:
[b]Nation:[/b]
[b]Candidate (Select One):[/b] Kari Vistell | Jorgen Årnad (incumbent) | Abstain

Nation: Monarchy of Kanada
Candidate (Select One): Jorgen Arnad (OOC: Apologies, the special 'A' doesn't work on my laptop.)

Gotmark's representative to the PGU, Kewin Gunnarsson cast their vote.

Nation: Gotmark
Candidate (Select One): Kari Vistell

The final tally is in.
Jorgen Årnad-2
Kari Vistell-4
Abstain-3

"Madam Kari Vistell is now the 2nd Chancellor of the PGU, ladies and gentlemen."
Årnad stood from his chair at the front of the room, and handed over a ceremonial copy of the PGU constitution to Madam Vistell. He took his seat with the rest of the Goyanean delegation.

Kari stood at the podium, quickly organizing and scanning a few papers. She broke the moment long silence.

“Firstly, I would like to thank the Right Honorable Jorgen Årnad for being such a gracious opponent, and I would also like to notify this assembly that by the powers vested in me in the constitution of the Pan-Gotic Union, Article 2, Section 5, I hereby appoint Jorgen Årnad to the position of Deputy Chancellor of the PGU.

With this and the elections concluded, as first order of business I would like to bring a proposition forth to the assembly, as well as open the floor for discussion. The proposition from in this case is a simple revision to the earlier PGU Battlegroups proposition. I would like to propose the idea of foreign “sponsorship”, which would allow nations that can not currently provide soldiers or equipment, yet also want to be involved in the Battlegroups, to be “sponsored” by another PGU nation which will provide soldiers and equipment while also representing the nation they are sponsoring. These “sponsored” nations would still require a commander of some form to come from the sponsored nation.

With that proposition, I open the floor for debate and further propositions.”

Kari leaned back from the microphone and awaited the first discussion or proposal.

Archibald Løfgren roused in his seat due to the elbow from one of his staff. Grumbling he stood.

“We see no reason why nations would not be able to provide their own manpower for such groups. Equipment and supplies can be shared, but to supply the very force we wish to work along side of is essentially... redundant. I am sure those nations who wish to participate in these groups will manage to muster the adequate forces in due time. Even the Lord took to 6 days. Patience and commitment will see this done.”

Årnad stood after hearing Mr. Løfgren's message.

"I only think that other nations should be sponsoring a battlegroup nation until they have mustered up enough men to join the program at a normal rate."

Kewin Gunnarsson remained seated, but tapped his microphone. "Apologies, fellow representatives, if I don't stand. I find it terribly taxing." He shuffled his papers around, peering over his glasses at one, before looking through them at another. "Representatives, the Grand Duchy would like to propose an amendment to the Constitution of the Pan-Gotic Union, namely of the Mutual Defence Clause. Currently, it is entirely possible - and some would argue likely - that a member of the PGU could be dragged into a conflict involving any number of other alliances, through the use of multiple mutual defence clauses, and so we would like to propose the following clause is added to Article 4 of the Constitution:

4. Attacks on member nations incurred as part of conflicts pursued by other organisations shall not be considered an act of war on the entire PGU, unless otherwise deemed so by the PGU Council"

Kewin looked around, trying to gauge the reaction of the room, before shrugging and saying simply, "The Grand Duchy yields the floor for comment."

Årnad stood from his seat once more.

"I feel Mr. Gunnarsson's proposed amendment to the PGU Charter is a necessary revision, especially with the slew of new alliances and the recent conflicts in the Northeast. Ensuring that the PGU does not unnecessarily enter other conflicts will help maintain our overall sense of neutrality. However, I do feel that this is rather a rewrite of the current Article 4, Section 1 of the PGU constitution, which states "The attack on a member state by any non-member state is considered an act of war on the entire PGU. This constitution mandates that the mutual defense initiative is only activated upon an attack deemed unjustified by the PGU Council.".

I also propose a small edit to Article 4, Section 3. It currently states, "If the attack conducted is deemed unjustified by the PGU Council, they may elect to suspend the membership of said aggressor until further notice". I propose this be changed to "If an attack conducted by a member state is deemed unjustified by the PGU Council, they may elect to suspend the membership of said aggressor member state until further notice".

I think these edits proposed by Mr. Gunnarsson and myself would help to fix some errors that were overlooked in the original signing of the PGU constitution."

Jorgen retook his seat with the rest of the Goyanean delegation.

Kari stood as she saw the discussions ended.

"Thank you for all of your input. Discussions are now closed. These discussions and suggestions will be considered as the draft for the Battlegroups is created. I would like to motion for the formal voting period to now begin. Now, I will require a seconding of the motion to vote."

Archibald Løfgren leaned forward.

"I second the motion to vote for the changes to the charter."

Code:
[b]VOTE:

Rewrite Article 4, Section 1?[/b]

<YES> <NO> <ABSTAIN>

[b]Amend Article 4, Section 3?[/b]

<YES> <NO> <ABSTAIN>

VOTE:

Rewrite Article 4, Section 1?

<YES>

Amend Article 4, Section 3?