Pan-Gotic Union

Goyanes:
To the Hastfradic Delegation: Protectionist Policies are laws enacted to defend industry within the member state's nation. However, protectionist policies enacted against other members of the union would promote a sense of disconnect in the community that is not endorsed by the PGU.
It seems that our chancellor thinks himself a magician, because he has conjured rules and policies of this alliance that is not in the founding document nor in anything passed in accordance of said document.

Need I remind you, that Article 2 only empowers this Council to set policy while Article 3 only says that you can't impose policies that the PGU Council has regulated against.

The only legislative action this body has since its founding is the election of a Chancellor and application votes. There is no trade policy to trigger the restrictions in Article 3.

~Sandra Telune, Deputy Commissioner to the PGU

Lord Lore:
Goyanes:
To the Hastfradic Delegation: Protectionist Policies are laws enacted to defend industry within the member state's nation. However, protectionist policies enacted against other members of the union would promote a sense of disconnect in the community that is not endorsed by the PGU.
It seems that our chancellor thinks himself a magician, because he has conjured rules and policies of this alliance that is not in the founding document nor in anything passed in accordance of said document.

Need I remind you, that Article 2 only empowers this Council to set policy while Article 3 only says that you can't impose policies that the PGU Council has regulated against.

The only legislative action this body has since its founding is the election of a Chancellor and application votes. There is no trade policy to trigger the restrictions in Article 3.

~Sandra Telune, Deputy Commissioner to the PGU
I was only stating what I believed the defenition of a protectionist policy, Madam Telune. I in no way alluded to the rules and policies of this alliance that have not been set.

Magnus Brandt arrived at the podium, his thinning grey hair and slightly bushy grey beard making him look more like a professor of literature than a diplomat.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the Pan-Gotic Union. My name is Magnus Brandt. I am the Kingdom of Prydania's representative to the Pan-Gotic Union. Today I come before you on behalf of my beleaguered nation with one goal in mind. To reach out with an outstretched hand to our Gotic brothers and sisters of the world. Our country has known nothing but strife, tyranny, and civil war for thirty-three years. Finally, though, the war is over. The despots have been washed away. Once more we have peace. Once more we have freedom. Once more we have a king. And now, once more, we desire friendship."

"Prydania is, in many ways, a multi-ethnic society. From the Lowlands, through Midlands, and Uplands. And yet the Gotic legacy of our nation, first found in the Uplands of Geadland and Kevelia, flows through all of us. All of us are bound by it. It is us, and we are it. It is why we have sought the PGU out. As I said, we desire friendship with the world. And who better to turn to in your time of need than your brothers and your sisters?"

"I will not downplay the struggles my nation faces. The civil war against the Syndicalist government left thousands dead. Our farmlands struggle to hold the chaos at bay while we rebuild our cities. I will not insult the intelligence of anyone who has followed the progress of our Civil War. I was there, as part of Royalist command. The trenches scarring the landscape and flooded farmlands are all too real. The children playing in the rubble of cities that have stood nearly a thousand years is all too real."

"Yet we will not be deterred. We have reached out to friends in the international community for aid. We have began to rebuild ourselves. To get factories operational again. Farms tended to again. We have begun to train police officers so that our military does not have to police the streets of our cities and towns indefinitely. His Majesty Tobias III Lothbrok has pardoned all Syndicalist soldiers who are willing to lay down their arms and swear an oath of loyalty to his new government. He does this because he believes, as I do, that we cannot slaughter the enemy out of vengeance. Compassion and acceptance is needed if we are to move forward as a nation. Not as Royalists or Syndicalists, but as Prydanians."

"Our military consists of roughly 1/3 of what constituted the Syndicalist Republic of Prydania's armed forces before the Civil War. We plan on rebuilding, as we must, when the basic needs of our citizens, food, shelter, electricity, and police, have been provided for. Like everything else, Prydania's proud military will be renewed. Slowly at first though. It has to be slowly. Children cannot eat guns, and tanks to do warm homes, after all."

He took a deep breath. His heart beat slowly. Magnus was actually a bit of an awkward person one-on-one, but he felt calm giving a speech. Even at the age of 68.

"So with that said, I come to you, the Pan-Gotic Union, to ask you one thing. To vote to grant the Kingdom of Prydania Observer Status within the PGU. Our nation must take its first steps onto the world stage carefully. Not hesitantly, but cautiously. I ask that we do so alongside our friends, our brothers, and our sisters. Please vote so that we may be able to do so. God save Prydania, and God save the Pan-Gotic Union."

He took another deep breath and smiled softly before returning to his visitor's seat.

Årnad stood after the speech from the visiting Prydanian delegation.

"I would like to open the formal debate process regarding Prydania's acceptance as an observer state to the Pan-Gotic Union. Member delegations may now speak regarding the aforementioned state joining."

He sat back down, and waited for discussions to start.

Kari Vistell, the Andrennian representative to the PGU, got out of her seat and took the podium. She had a somewhat heavy Andrennian accent, but nothing that made it difficult to understand what she was actually saying. Kari was wearing a gray suit jacket and a black business skirt, with a white blouse under the gray jacket and black dress heels. Her short, styled, dirty blonde hair framed a face with fine features, and eyes the same color as storm clouds.

The thin, short woman cleared her throat before speaking in a loud, melodic voice "It is in the best interests of the Constitutional Monarch of Andrenne to advocate the observer status for the *Kingdom of Prydania. We believe that they have been left out international politics for too long, preoccupied fighting a civil war for their freedom, as Andrenne did 70 years ago against the totalitarian dictatorship of Nyström with the help of the former Allies. If it wasn't already obvious, Andrenne is very sympathetic for this nation. We want to help them rebuild, we want to help them get back onto the world stage as we had to do in the 50s and 60s. I hope that the representatives of other nations share our interests in allowing Prydania to achieve observer status in the PGU. That is all, thank you." She said, stepping down from the podium and returning to her seat.

(*This is a temporary name, as I wanted to churn this post out- I don't know if that is actually the full title of Prydania.)

"The Grand Federation would like to second the Andrennian proposal." said Mats, as he reached the podium in a quiet voice, despite its amplification from the speakers. "While not recommending full membership, seeing how they have just exited a brutal civil war, we feel that observer status is a start for association with the Union. This can be advanced over time, eventually including them as a full member once the new government has proven itself to be adept and fair to its people, and committed to the ideals of peace and democracy. Additionally, with such a status as Observer, the Union can create treaties and agreements which can hasten the rebuilding of Prydania."

Årnad stood.

"I agree with my Xentheridan and Andrennian colleagues. I think starting them off with an observer's membership will help bring them into the world stage and the international community. Their membership can also be raised to a full membership with a vote should the time come for that. I also want to point out that Goyanes is actively engaging in humanitarian efforts in Prydania to help rebuild the nation."

Magnus Brandt stood.
"I would first like to thank this body for the support it has shown our nation in its time of need. We're forever grateful. Both to our Goyanean friends for ongoing relief efforts, and to our friends elsewhere across the PGU who have expressed their sympathies for our struggles. We will rebuild. And we will not rebuild with the tainted, vile tennants of the fascistic Social Commonwealth ideology, nor the totalitarian poison of Syndicalist Communism. Our way forward will be one of respect for the democratic principals that once bound all of our nations together. Three years ladies and gentlemen. In three years Prydania will hold free and fair elections for the first time in over three decades. That is our way forward. I promise all of you that."

He signed softly to collect his thoughts.

"I have also been authorized by His Majesty's government to negotiate requests for additional aid. We are currently engaged with Goyanes. I would humbly ask the representatives from Xentherida, Andrenne, Maloria, and Kanada if they would be amicable to negotiating treaties for humanitarian aid as well. As well as the rest of the PGU. We humbly beseech you in our time of need."

Mats hastily stood, almost knocking over his glass of water in the process. "The Grand Federation would most certainly be willing to assist in rebuilding Prydania, and providing aid. I will contact Parliament and forward on this request; we will most likely be operating either out of your capital or Kanada. You can expect small units of aid workers to begin distribution of food, medicine, and other supplies within eight days. Larger crews who will rebuild could take two to three weeks to begin operating, possibly more. We will request an airfield from where we can deliver supplies by air and then distribute them from there, and also fast access to a nearby port from where we can expect supplies from cargo ship. We will begin setting up smaller operating bases in small towns to distribute aid from there and makeshift hospitals, and, if necessary, they will be moved to our hospital ships, which should arrive off Prydania's shores in about two weeks."

"We would also like to reach out to Goyanes and request co-operation in our aid efforts in Prydania. Communication between our aid worker groups can only maximise efficiency and speed in rebuilding the nation."

Last edited:
Årnad stood. "We are willing to work with the Xentheridan aid groups in our services to Prydania. I'd also like to get the opinions of other members of this union regarding Prydania's observer membership. I also have a question for the Kanadian Delegation, on behalf of the Goyanean Government, may the Kanadian Air Forces allocate an airfield for the use of Goyanean and Xentheridan aid workers transporting goods to Prydania?"

Walt Solvån, the new Kanadian delegate to the PGU, stood and spoke, "Kanada would be most honored to accept Prydania's request for humanitarian aid. A more in-depth treaty can be discussed later, in private, but we believe we can assist in getting your nation back on it's feet. As to Goyanes and Xentherida, we accept your requests to use Kanadian airfields. Commercial airports can not be used, but military ones farther east could be cleared for you assistance of Prydinia."

Magnus stood again, this time a bit flush as he was overcome with gratitude...

"I cannot express how grateful I am on behalf of my country..." he paused for a moment, "and myself. There are very few people in Prydania who have not been touched by war in some way. I am no exception. I'll have my staff relay the answers of your government to mine. Thank you. Truly."

"As for the issue of our status as an Observer state? His Majesty's government is under no delusions regarding the enormity of the task we ask of you all. We expect nothing, but a sympathetic ear. We expect nothing, and know we are owed nothing. We seek Observer status only, partially to assure every nation of the PGU that we do not expect all of its members to send aid. And nor will a nation who refuses be viewed as hostile by His Majesty's government."

Jaevar Staufenberg read through a number of reports on Prydania that his staff had quickly collected before he arrived at the meeting. He didn't particularly like anything he read. They seemed like a charity case, another failed state in the North East that was trying to have the rest of the world pay the bills for their rebuilding. Still he remained quiet as he listened to the others promising to throw money at the problem. He had sent of a quick communication home and was waiting for the answer before he spoke. One of his aids entered the room and quickly handed him the response.

He read through it quickly. It was a missive directly from the High Chancellor's Office forwarded through the Intelligence Ministry so it couldn't be intercepted. He was actually shocked to read it's contents, but once finished he folded it and placed it in his pocket. He'd need to destroy it later. It read:

Vote in favor of Prydania's admission as observer. We believe this to be the pertinent course of action. Let the PGU advance their influence into the NE. Intelligence feels this may put pressure on the region and push certain nations to act more aggressively. We will continue to monitor the situation. Offer what aid you believe is acceptable, we will form a committee to discuss with the Prydandian's what we can offer if they accept.

As the Prydanian Representative finished Jaevar stood and put on a convincing smile. "The Hastfradic League would graciously like to put forth our support for Prydania as an observer to the PGU. Your West Gotic brethren also offer assistance to your nation as it rebuilds. The League will give what aid we can and I will be glad to facilitate those negotiations if you accept."

Magnus payed little attention to Staufenberg's aid. A diplomat getting this or that from home was beyond common in a setting like this. He had already mostly forgotten it by the time Staufenberg stood to deliver his piece.

Magnus stood again, and nodded at the Hastfradic League representative with a warm smile.
"We are eternally humbled by the Hastfradic League's generosity" he said before sitting down once more.

Ambassador Brandt stood and walked to the podium, holding the remote to control the projection screen.

"I once more thank you all for your nations' kindness, generosity, and understanding" he said, before bringing up a map of Prydania.

"For those committed to sending aid..." he continued..."my government has authorized the following the locations as central planning and distribution hubs..." he clicked again, indicating three points on the map.

"Our capital of Beaconsfield..." he began, drawing attention to the dot in the south-central location of the island, "took a beating in the final battle of the Civil War but essential city infrastructure remains intact. As do most roads in and out."

"Hadden..." he continued, illuminating the dot a bit inland in close proximity to the east coast, "is relatively untouched compared to most of the country. The Syndicalist commander surrendered the city when our forces laid siege to it. Once it became clear Syndicalist lines around him were collapsing."

"Alaterva..." he concluded, illuminating a city on the north-central western coast, "is in bad shape. Fighting around and in it was, to be blunt, brutal. Still? Major roads to and from the city remain salvageable, and it among my government's top priorities. Our men are working around the clock to assure easy travel by motor vehicle in and out of the city. Its advantage as a hub is its central location in relation to inter-city Midland infrastructure."

"All three have functional and staffed airfields in their immediate outskirts. Both Beaconsfield and Alaterva have harbours as well. Our Goyanean friends..." Brandt motioned to Ambassador Årnad, "have already established a central hub in Beasonsfield Harbour. From these three cities a timely flow of supplies, aid, engineers, and doctors can be established. Thank you."

Årnad stood.

"Thank you for this vital information, Ambassador Brandt. It is crucial to getting the most efficient flow of aid into Prydania. I also believe the time has come to motion for a vote for Prydania's admission to the union. At this point we require a seconding of the motion to begin voting procedures."

Årnad stood.

"I recognize the seconding of the motion. I invite all national representatives to begin voting procedures."

He handed his aide cards to pass out to each of the representative parties.

Voting Card:
VOTE:

Accept Prydania into the PGU as an observer state?

<YES> <NO> <ABSTAIN>

VOTE:

Accept Prydania into the PGU as an observer state?
Against (No)

While it might now seem like an admirable goal to attempt to use an observer status as a vessel to direct aid towards a state, we of the Coalition can not help but see this in another light. Nation Building. Especially for a land so far off from our own this commission while recognizing aid may be necessary using ties to an organization to do so is a precarious and dubious strategy to say the least. It is for this reason we must vote against. Observers should be for fostering understanding and co-operation not for trying to direct aid to build nations.

~Office of the Foreign Commission

After receiving all the voting cards, the aid counted and tallied them, passing the results sheet to Årnad.

Årnad stood.

"The results are in. Yes has come in with 6 votes. One vote for no, and one abstention. Prydania is hereby granted observer membership status within the PGU."

Ambassador Brandt turned to shake hands with a few members of his staff, before standing. His expression seemed rather calm for someone who had gotten what he came here to get, when success was never guaranteed. He remained stoic as he set down a sheet of paper, choosing forgo prepared remarks.

"It never ceases to amaze me..." he began, looking around the room, "at the kindness and compassion human beings are capable of. I've seen the worst of humanity first hand. Forgive me then, to take a moment to simply appreciate the beauty of the best of it..."
He smiled, and offered Chancellor Årnad a nod of appreciation.

"To all of the PGU, those who voted in my Kingdom's favour, those who abstained, and those who opposed. I promise you this. We are not content with bombed out cities, minefield-filled fields, flooded farmland, and refugee shanty towns. His Majesty's government primary goal, above all else, is the rehabilitation of the Prydanian nation. We are not content as beggars, and it is our goal to contribute our fair share to this grand union as soon we are able. Thank you. For your trust, your friendship, and your kindness."

The Grand Duchy of Gotmark would like to progress with its application to join the Pan-Gotic Union. The Grand Duchy is currently ruled by Grand Duke Oyvind, and is home to 15,040,976 people, with a GDP of 769,571,537,040 NS$

Årnad stood.

"I have several matters to bring forth to this assembly. According to the powers vested in me in the PGU constitution, Article 2, Section 5, I hereby appoint Jaevar Staufenberg of the Hastfradic League to the office of Deputy Chancellor of the Pan-Gotic Union.

I would also like to make two propositions before this assembly. The first is the proposition of PGU Battlegroups. These battlegroups would be groups of soldiers and equipment from each member state that would form a small task force that could be used by the PGU to provide an initial response to humanitarian aid operations, peacekeeping, and military threats against the PGU bloc. The composition of these battlegroups would ideally rotate every year to ensure the readiness of soldiers, and the well-maintenance of equipment.

The second proposal I would like to put out before this assembly is the evaluation of the Grand Duchy of Gotmark's qualifications to join this union, as their government has filed requests to join the union."

Brandt stood.
"On the issue of PGU Battlegroups? The Royal Prydanian Army is currently stretched thin enough keeping the peace and providing the aide it's capable of providing back home. That being said? The Kingdom of Prydania would be willing to commit soldiers and equipment to any future PGU battlegroups should this body vote in the affirmative to authorize them."

"As to our friends in Gotmark? The Kingdom of Prydania sees no reason to oppose the Grand Duchy's ascension to this fine union."

Solvån stood to a speaking position, "Kanada would be able to contribute soldiers to a small, elite battlegroup. We see the benifits of their presence. As to Gotmark's request to enter the Union, Kanada believes they have nothing that should restrict them from joining."
He turned to Brandt, speaking, "But I believe Prydania, in it's still currently stressed state, should have time to recover before commiting, if the battlegroups idea passes."

Brandt stood to address Solvån...
"Indeed. I was merely offering my government's assurances that we will be happy to provide what we can to such an endeavour when we are able."

Seeing that debates had reached a conclusion, Årnad stood.

"I see that debates have, for the most part concluded, therefore I motion for both bills to go to the voting floor. At this point we require a seconding of the motion for a vote to proceed."

Årnad stood.

"I recognize the seconding of the motion. I invite all national representatives of member nations to begin voting procedures."

He handed his aide cards to pass out to each of the representative parties.

Code:
[b]VOTE:

Accept Gotmark into the PGU as a member state?[/b]

<YES> <NO> <ABSTAIN>

[b]Start drafting official guidelines for the PGU Battlegroups agreement?[/b]

<YES> <NO> <ABSTAIN>

VOTE:

Accept Gotmark into the PGU as a member state?

<YES>

Start drafting official guidelines for the PGU Battlegroups agreement?

<YES>

VOTE:

<YES>

<YES>

VOTE:

<YES>

<NO>

Back