Pelhaforan Emergency OOC

7. Cogoria shall be permitted to send a force of 100 (one hundred) observers to ensure elections are carried out legally
8. Kannex shall provide a force of 100 (one hundred) observers to ensure elections are carried out legally
9. A neutral power agreed upon by Cogoria and Kannex shall provide a force of 500 (five hundred) observers to ensure elections are carried out legally.

As a neutral power, the above demands seem very out of line. What you propose needing 500 observers for can easily be accomplished by a team of 10 observers from the League. They are trained specifically for the task you mention. I can already tell you that the counter-proposal from the League will be their own team of observers along with one representative observer from both Cogoria and Kannex. There is absolutely no need for the number of people you propose to oversee election legality.

Edit: One other thing to point out... While I do mention that there are only ten observers from the League, the actual number of Peacekeepers is significantly higher but I see no reason at the moment that they will be involved to a large extent.

To be effective, international observation must be objective and non-partisan, and must provide balanced reports. Objectivity protects the credibility of the mission and helps maintain the integrity of the electoral process. When observers do their work, they must be very careful not to show a preference for any particular party or candidate lest they compromise the objectivity required for preparing impartial reports.

Under the above definition, the League will argue that both Cogoria and Kannex are unfit to lead or have a large say in the monitoring of elections of Pelhafor due to both countries wanting to have a say and are not neutral or impartial to the situation.

As such, I ask you this... explain to me why you need so many observers overseeing the Pelhafor elections? Is it that you do not trust a neutral party to oversee a fair process that may not turn out in your favor?

Well while I acknowledge your neutrality, due to your membership of the patnership for peace, Cogoria will see you as partially biased toward Kannex's favoured party. The 100 are also there to act as security for the leftist parties participating, so neither Kannex nor the NPC will shoot and bludgeon and arrest them.

Cogoria:
Well while I acknowledge your neutrality, due to your membership of the patnership for peace, Cogoria will see you as partially biased toward Kannex's favoured party. The 100 are also there to act as security for the leftist parties participating, so neither Kannex nor the NPC will shoot and bludgeon and arrest them.
:lol: Cogorian soldiers acting as the leftists' Waffen-SS.

And I would counter that Cogorian security forces (as you admit them to be on top of being observers) would only inflame violence against leftist voters. And while I understand your concern that the League may be biased towards Kannex, it is true that the League's government has much friendlier relations with Kannex than it does Cogoria but that in no way influences the negotiators / observers whose only job is to monitor the votes and make sure each party is able to get an equal say.

Edit: And hell, I'd argue that the League's observers have a better chance of not igniting the powder keg of Pelhafor than Kannex or Cogoria would as one has openly admitted his observers would also be military / security forces.

I'm still not convinced that a team of 700 people are needed as observers if new elections are held in Pelhafor.
1) it's complete overkill...
2) It's bureaucratic red tape that is not needed...
3) Security forces will inflame an already volatile situation...

Hell, out of the entire League I've only called up two divisions of Peacekeepers which total 550 people... 275 due to the situation in Pelhafor and 275 due to the situation in Tajis.

Pelhafor is large, gotta ensure there's no foul ups at the polling stations though :) you can send you team of ten, but Cogoria is sticking to her 100 :)

Here's a breakdown of how my Peacekeeping Division works... 15 officers, split between logistics and oversight (in the case of Pelhafor, one of these fifteen is Tribune Johan) and then the other 260 are split into ten teams of 26 that work as support.

Depending on how the peace talks unfold, the League will send either just the team of 10 (the oversight officers who in this case are trained in electoral observation and monitoring among other things) or the entire Division of 275 people. My nation's would prefer the smaller number but it all depends.

Cogoria... one more question:
11. Cogoria shall be granted a plot of land on the coast to construct a naval base, in order to ensure further crimes against the workers of Pelhafor will not be carried out in the future.

I'm having a very hard time understanding how this is a reasonable demand seeing as you were the one who invaded Pelhafor to support the leftist parties there. Care to enlighten us as to the rationale behind this demand?

I'm only asking so I have some general idea of where my nation's will be coming from when the talks come around.

Speaking of which, someone really needs to start the peace talk process before the situation blows up in everybody's face. And I only count the talks between Ceretis and Cogoria as a prelude / warm up to peace.

I'm hoping to get the peace process started now that we have basically what we need to get things going.

Nightsong:
Cogoria... one more question:
11. Cogoria shall be granted a plot of land on the coast to construct a naval base, in order to ensure further crimes against the workers of Pelhafor will not be carried out in the future.

I'm having a very hard time understanding how this is a reasonable demand seeing as you were the one who invaded Pelhafor to support the leftist parties there. Care to enlighten us as to the rationale behind this demand?
Sounds like me :yes:

Well if you think the President refusing to step down is going to piss of Cogoria just wait till we start asking for ALL POWs back >:)

And yet the gradual return of POW's or a prisoner swap is a much more easily attained goal than asking for the dismantling of the current Pelhafor government in the hopes that the leftist parties somehow seize control of the country.

Ah but my demand includes the actor that appeared on the news claiming to be a POW. We want him, and OOC info only, we're gonna shoot him if we get him

And you just expect the Ceretin and League diplomats to just let a non-Cogorian citizen be handed over to your country in what would surely end in his / her death? I don't think you understand the importantance of human life that the League values even for people who may have been manipulated in a propaganda war.

But Pelhafor is claiming he is a Cogorian citizen, and not only that but htat the man is a member of the Cogorian armed forces, Cogoria will want him back along with all other military personnel in their possession. Unless of course they admit that he was an actor used to try and discredit the great Cogoria and that the footage of the massacres are real :)

Nebula considers PsyOps at a certain level to be warfare; if someone had tried to impersonate a Nebulan for propaganda purposes and got caught, we would probably demand their extradition, then hold them as a prisoner of war.

Pelhafor's allowing those Cogorian POWs who want to seek refuge from communist oppression to stay in Pelhafor. ;)

At any rate, so many Cogorian planes were shot down that it's not clear who survived -- or at least the records will be incomplete.

Plus, given that no war was officially declared when the sneak attack was committed, Pelhafor may choose to hold the Cogorian men indefinitely as international criminals or spies, which means that will not be afforded POW protection under the laws of war.

The way I see the peace talks is that it is a hot potato with about as many holes in it as a piece of Swiss cheese...

Also, if anyone is wondering... yes, my government knows everything that the League Intelligence Service does... Both the Administrator's and the Marshal's (Frederick and Johan) report to the Rose Forum (the League's government) who in turn notify and update the governments of Kalti, Callaici and Andalucia.

I have a feeling this is going to end with a few Kannexan carriers at the bottom of the sea and a few hundred thousand Cogorians dead in the streets of Pelhafor....

Cogoria:
I have a feeling this is going to end with a few Kannexan carriers at the bottom of the sea and a few hundred thousand Cogorians dead in the streets of Pelhafor....
No, that's the middle. The end is going to be radioactive and toxic waste floating aimlessly across the skies of TNP over the scarred craters of our former nations.

And while it wouldn't destroy his nation, if Cogoria gets Nuked, a few million kannexans will expire in their cities as they drown in the fluid filling their lungs.... Just saying let's try and keep to conventional arms if it does heat up...

I feel like if I make a bet that Cogoria will try to sink the negotiations / peace process I have a 75% chance of winning said bet due to his list of demands...

I want to save my military for now, cause I have an RP idea for my Nation's version of the Soviet Afghanistan war

Cogoria:
I'm willing to bend on most, just not the POW/recovering the dead thing :)
I have my own idea on the POW issue and you and Kannex may or may not like it. More details will be forthcoming once the peace talks start...

Considering the nature of it being a surprise war declared by you and the fact that there are Cogorians that have both been captured by Pelhafor / have managed to avoid capture... I guarantee that the return of all POW's is not a feasible option and what my nation will offer may be the best compromise. We shall see though.

Well i'm going to play nice as possible. As I said I plan on having an Afghanistanesque war soon enough so army needs to be intact :/

Eh, fine by me. And Cogoria... we are all waiting on your to post in the IC thread to get the RP moving forward...

Back