Future RP: Who's Interested?

Nebula

TNPer
I'm thinking about starting a new RP. This RP would take place a hundred or so years in the future, when the nations of TNP have begun colonizing the other planets in the solar system.
We'll probably have to have an OOC discussion about the TNP-planet solar system before this can move forward, but before we get into that, I'd just like to judge interest in it.
So, thoughts?

Maybe we could get a map of the TNP solar system made and have it put in the Nexus.

That is something that we would need to discuss.
I propose a rough layout of five rocky planets, an asteroid field, and three gas giants.
~ desolate planet, nothing but rock (think Mercury)
~ superhot planet with runaway greenhouse effect (think Venus)
~ TNP Planet
~ ice planet, nasty but potentially habitable (think Hoth from Star Wars Ep. V)
~ frozen, desolate planet (think Mars)
~ asteroid field
~ gas giant rich in hydrogen and helium
~ gas giant rich in ammonia
~ gas giant rich in water and methane
~ comets, etc

We should call the TNP planet "Htrae" (Pronounced "Tray").

I bet you can't guess how I got that name.

Syrixia:

*Thinks of ways tray could be a metaphor for a civilized world.*

Although the RP is mine, the issue of planet names should be a group discussion.

First, can we all agree on the planet arrangement that I've proposed above?

Nebula:
Although the RP is mine, the issue of planet names should be a group discussion.

Let me revise your list, add more description.

~ A desolate planet, it's surface dusty and most likely nearby a sun.
~ An inferno planet, one of the main gases being similar to that of the greenhouse gases on Earth/TNP-Land
~ The North Pacific Planet
~ An ice planet, it's of similar temperatures to Southern Greenland meanie it has possibility of being inhabited.
~ A barren wasteland of ice, unlike the aforementioned it's closer to Antarctica and is entirely uninhabitable by all but a handful of rare life forms.
~ An asteroid belt, possibly separating us from another reach of space due to it's hostility.
~ A gas giant, it's filled with Hydrogen and Helium. It could be owned by corporations or nations.
~ A gas giant, it's main feature is it's ammonia
~ The third gas giant, it's rich with water but it's also filled with methane.
~ Comets.
~ A small handful of generic planets, earth-like but still different. Possibly 2 or 3 making them valuable assets to an empire.

Cronaal:
Nebula:

~ An inferno planet, one of the main gases being similar to that of the greenhouse gases on Earth/TNP-Land
~ An ice planet, it's of similar temperatures to Southern Greenland meanie it has possibility of being inhabited.
~ A barren wasteland of ice, unlike the aforementioned it's closer to Antarctica and is entirely uninhabitable by all but a handful of rare life forms.
~ An asteroid belt, possibly separating us from another reach of space due to it's hostility.
~ A gas giant, it's filled with Hydrogen and Helium. It could be owned by corporations or nations.
~ Comets.
~ A small handful of generic planets, earth-like but still different. Possibly 2 or 3 making them valuable assets to an empire.
I like your list, but with two issues:
~ we don't really need two ice planets, one should be habitable with difficulty, but the other should be a wasteland like Mars, where it's too cold to snow
~ "a small handful of generic planets" --- it just seems unreasonable to have more than one planet in the habitable zone.
Now, that doesn't mean that there aren't other easily habitable bodies within the solar system, for example, about two moons that, by some odd coincidence, are reasonably habitable. (For example, one could orbit Planet 4, the habitable ice planet, and have minor greenhouse effect, so it has a somewhat thin atmosphere, but is at about the right temperature to support life.)
Thoughts?

Nebula:
Cronaal:
Nebula:

~ Comets.
I like your list, but with two issues:
~ we don't really need two ice planets, one should be habitable with difficulty, but the other should be a wasteland like Mars, where it's too cold to snow
~ "a small handful of generic planets" --- it just seems unreasonable to have more than one planet in the habitable zone.
Now, that doesn't mean that there aren't other easily habitable bodies within the solar system, for example, about two moons that, by some odd coincidence, are reasonably habitable. (For example, one could orbit Planet 4, the habitable ice planet, and have minor greenhouse effect, so it has a somewhat thin atmosphere, but is at about the right temperature to support life.)
Thoughts?
You were the one who created two ice planets.
One habitable, other not.

On the topic of a handful, I mentioned 2-3 because I'd assume these would be few and very far apart.

I feel that it's just not possible to have multiple habitable planets within one solar system. Habitable moons, possibly.
And the uninhabitable ice planet would have been more Mars-like: a dusty, frozen wasteland without snow or ice on most of the surface. I feel that that needs to be clearer than it was.

Nebula:
I feel that it's just not possible to have multiple habitable planets within one solar system. Habitable moons, possibly.
And the uninhabitable ice planet would have been more Mars-like: a dusty, frozen wasteland without snow or ice on most of the surface. I feel that that needs to be clearer than it was.
Okay.
Maybe the list can be revised later.

I think the list is good, we just need to discuss details and names later.

So the list, as it stands, is good? Or does anyone else have an input?

I would be interested. And it is actually common to have more than one planet in the habitable zone. Mars for one would have been habitable at one point in time. It might be good to have another planet similar to our own but that has remained uninhabited.

Syrixia:

On a serious note, I think it should be Pacifica.
It's simple, isn't based on a made-up language and clearly tells us what's on it.

Cronaal:
Syrixia:

It's simple, isn't based on a made-up language and clearly tells us what's on it.
Cronaal, it's Earth backwards.

Bootsie:
Cronaal:
Syrixia:

OHHHH.
I thought it was his language, which angered me.

Bootsie:
Cronaal:
Syrixia:

I should've caught that. :P

But yeah I think Pacifica is a good idea.

Cronaal:
Bootsie:
Cronaal:
Syrixia:

OHHHH.
I thought it was his language, which angered me.
No, Earth in Syrixian is "Uurt". :P

Anyways, I have two ideas:

1. A couple decades prior Syrixia has undergone a coup and it is now an empire once more, thus it would build up it's military and move in to claim as much land as possible, making allies and fighting enemies.

2. Syrixia is still a republic. Less interesting and climactic but more cooperation and professionalism.

Which one to do?

Bootsie:
So, if my rulers are early thirties, how many generations would have past?
I remember nebula saying 100 years or so, maybe 150-200 years into the future?
In that case, Cronaal would be on it's newly elected 'royal' family.

I'm in for this one, and every time space stuff comes up for my nation it gets funded.

I agree there should be more than one normally habitable planet, one larger than the other. Probably some other places in the system that with more difficulty can be colonized (moons, etc).
Maybe one of them is uninhabited because of a political dispute which is where the story comes in to play.

Another idea is that maybe a semi-habitable planet or moon in the system passes through an interference zone that prevents tech or tech not specially shielded from being used. Which could explain why this scrubby but habitable planet or moon is not colonized yet.

I like that second idea. It'd provide a lot of tension and would allow research into finding what did that, and thus the second habitable planet.

I would join y'all if you don't mind, I think it will be really fun once we get into it. :D I would maybe put a few habitable planets (buy not to many). :D
[me]

True Sebland:
I would join y'all if you don't mind, I think it will be really fun once we get into it. :D I would maybe put a few habitable planets (buy not to many). :D
True Sebland
Uh, I don't think adding planets like that is just acceptable.

On the note of this, we could also predetermine company-controlled land

I know this is going to sound complicated and be long but please bear with me:

It'd be good if there was a way to maybe give some companies or other such groups a bonus item(s) or piece(s) of land based on some sort of random generator. Maybe input all the nations, corporations, organizations, etc into a raffle like 'randompicker' and set the prizes as land, equipment/tech advances specific to them, bonus events, etc. Then run another raffle for negative events such as delay in original launch date (decrease in initial land claim), early launch (extra parcel of land), micro meteor strike to ships (loss of equipment), etc
This would take some of the 'god modding' / 'because I said so' out and would give bonus to some that may not have claimed it because it would seem to them to be god modding. I think this would give a more interesting start. Plus it wouldn't mess too much with RP future history.

Regarding colonization of habitable planets... Maybe the survey team only finished surveying a couple continents for safety / no xenomorph face huggers, etc. and so only a two continents are available for colonization at this time allowing for future expansion by RP which could end in minor or major tragedy or be super beneficial.

On this note, we could also have the open continent(s) map made up by the cartographer and divided into pieces / territories. Let's say on a continent the map people would chop it into 60 pieces. The random generator would say 'x' person gets 6, 'y' person gets 8, and 'r' person gets 5... Then add in any bonuses previously mentioned. like 's' person gets 3 but bonus says they get 3 more so they get 6 slots.

They can then make their choices in order. first person gets first pick of 1 space. second person gets to choose their space. Once everyone has chosen their first spot it goes through the list again until no one else has anymore pieces they can claim. so when person 'r' chooses 5 they stop, when 'x' chooses 6 they stop, when 'y' chooses 8 they stop.
One of the bonuses could be you get to choose 2 slots your first turn.

Once everyone has chosen, the generator could be used again to select certain territories randomly for rich deposits (rich in say water, but poor in metals.) Each territory would have a number to start, and then once everyone is finished the results would be revealed and you'd know what you're resources rich in or poor in.

I have no idea if anyone would be interested in this or not.

Ceretis:
I know this is going to sound complicated and be long but please bear with me:

It'd be good if there was a way to maybe give some companies or other such groups a bonus item(s) or piece(s) of land based on some sort of random generator. Maybe input all the nations, corporations, organizations, etc into a raffle like 'randompicker' and set the prizes as land, equipment/tech advances specific to them, bonus events, etc. Then run another raffle for negative events such as delay in original launch date (decrease in initial land claim), early launch (extra parcel of land), micro meteor strike to ships (loss of equipment), etc
This would take some of the 'god modding' / 'because I said so' out and would give bonus to some that may not have claimed it because it would seem to them to be god modding. I think this would give a more interesting start. Plus it wouldn't mess too much with RP future history.

Regarding colonization of habitable planets... Maybe the survey team only finished surveying a couple continents for safety / no xenomorph face huggers, etc. and so only a two continents are available for colonization at this time allowing for future expansion by RP which could end in minor or major tragedy or be super beneficial.

On this note, we could also have the open continent(s) map made up by the cartographer and divided into pieces / territories. Let's say on a continent the map people would chop it into 60 pieces. The random generator would say 'x' person gets 6, 'y' person gets 8, and 'r' person gets 5... Then add in any bonuses previously mentioned. like 's' person gets 3 but bonus says they get 3 more so they get 6 slots.

They can then make their choices in order. first person gets first pick of 1 space. second person gets to choose their space. Once everyone has chosen their first spot it goes through the list again until no one else has anymore pieces they can claim. so when person 'r' chooses 5 they stop, when 'x' chooses 6 they stop, when 'y' chooses 8 they stop.
One of the bonuses could be you get to choose 2 slots your first turn.

Once everyone has chosen, the generator could be used again to select certain territories randomly for rich deposits (rich in say water, but poor in metals.) Each territory would have a number to start, and then once everyone is finished the results would be revealed and you'd know what you're resources rich in or poor in.

I have no idea if anyone would be interested in this or not.
I think it is a good idea acctually. :D
[me]

I imagined this as an RP with political intrigue, military confrontations, etc., not as a raffle as some people see it. I agree that we should try to do planetary maps, but this would be more of a Scramble for Africa than an orderly conference.

I'm just proposing an idea for map set up. The generator would be there to set up the scenario, not control the whole thing start to finish.
The initial set up would not stop political intrigue, military confrontation, etc. It's more like if you play a game like civilization without a cheat mod on. You choose where you start which may or may not be near anyone and may or may not be near all the resources you want. (Which would cause you to trade, invade, etc.) This would probably lead more to political interest, military situations, etc. especially if you lack something or have something someone needs. It really ends there at set up.

Back