Hulldom
Discord
seathestarlesssky
ga.jpg

Repeal: "Drug Decriminalization Act"
Category: Repeal | GA #577
Proposed by: Abacathea | Onsite Topic
Replacement: None​

General Assembly Resolution #577 “Drug Decriminalization Act” (Category: Civil Rights; Strength: Significant) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

Esteemed members of the World Assembly;

Complimenting the continued progress of this esteemed body towards the betterment of its member nations,

Lamenting the potential of the Drug Decriminalization Act to be a significant and progressive piece of legislation, hampered by the flaws present within,

Highlighting the fallacies present in the legislation early on, including the assertion that decriminalization is demonstrated to reduce negative societal effects when the reality is that statistics naturally reflect a reduction in drug related offences but show a marked increase in petty street crimes in order to feed a dependency that prevails regardless of the lawful status of drugs,

Disheartened by the political and polarizing statement that "drug possession charges are a favored tool of legal authorities and governments seeking to marginalize or suppress minorities and political opposition to their governments," when the reality is that possession charges are preferred against a person in possession of drugs in the same way speeding tickets are preferred against persons speeding. The enforcement of laws against criminal offenders and the disproportionate targeting of minority groups are in no way the same thing nor are they addressable by the decriminalization of drugs as this resolution would have nations believe,

Disgusted that the target legislation resorted to polarizing statements such as "authorities are often empowered by the continued criminalization of recreational drug possession to commit violence and other indignities against even non-marginalized demographics," and that the legislation in question would have members believe that decriminalization of drugs would address and end systematic or endemic issues of corruption in the fields that it might exist,

Noting that clause 1(b)(i) in its definition of drug possession provides a defense to individuals involved in the sale and supply and/or trafficking of controlled drugs as the prima facie requirement is "monetary or personal gain" which may not always be immediately evident or easily substantiated in a court of law,

Perplexed by the concept of "malicious intent" in clause 1(b)(ii) and worried that legislation with ambiguity inevitably always favors those who would corrupt it,

Lamenting that clause 3a, sweepingly and broadly mandates the decriminalization of drugs for the purpose of "simple possession" without any consideration towards mitigating factors eg; The quantity of a controlled drug in a persons possession, nature of the adverse effects or addictive nature of said controlled drug or classification of the drug in question,

Saddened that a resolution that alludes to offender recidivism, societal participation and recommends the benefits of pardons has taken no positive steps towards addressing the root cause of drug possession, drug trafficking and black market trade i.e; addiction,

Believing that this legislation spends more time highlighting and targeting systematic societal problems with emotive language and incendiary claims rather than the issue it is purporting to address and thus executing its purpose poorly,

Hereby deems the Drug Decriminalization Act, Resolution #577, unfit for purpose and accordingly repeals same.
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations and NPA personnel will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

ForAgainstAbstainPresent
This proposal has been defeated 5,144 votes (34.2%) to 9,901 (65.8%).

Last edited:
IFV

Overview
"Repeal 'Drug Decriminalization Act'" seeks to repeal the resolution "Drug Decriminalization Act" by Greater Cesnica. This proposal points out several instances of what it sees as inaccurate, polarising claims in the target. It also presents several legislative flaws, including several claims found to be inaccurate as well as the rigidity of the legislation in some places and ambiguity in others.

Recommendation
All in all, the proposal presents a solid and well-constructed argument for repealing the target. It acknowledges the good intentions behind the act while pointing out it's flaws. In particular, it casts a rightfully sceptical eye on the politically charged language in the preamble. This includes drawing lines between the legal status of drugs and myriad other different societal ills. Furthermore, this repeal points to many flaws in the legislation itself, including ambiguity in some clauses, as well as the fact that the resolution does not distinguish between different types of drugs. All in all, this proposal paints a detailed picture of the errors that impair the well-intended, progressive law that is the target.

For the above reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote For the General Assembly Resolution at vote, "Repeal 'Drug Decriminalization Act'".

Our Voting Recommendation Dispatch--Please Vote!

Last edited:
NON-WA for.

If TNP don't want a resolution requiring all member states to enact and enforce measures to protect the health and safety of workers, then they can learn to live without a resolution requiring all member states to decriminalise drugs.

NON-WA for.

If TNP don't want a resolution requiring all member states to enact and enforce measures to protect the health and safety of workers, then they can learn to live without a resolution requiring all member states to decriminalise drugs.
Some of us (myself) were against both.

This proposal has achieved the requisite approvals to enter the formal queue. Barring it being withdrawn, marked illegal, or the counter-campaign proving effectual, this will proceed to a vote at Major Update on Saturday, October 9.

NON-WA for.

I am on the record in this forum as in favour of the death penalty for trafficking of controlled substances (however defined by jurisdiction), but I believe that is up to individual jurisdictions. I think Portugal's decriminalization approach is accepted by the people of Portugal, and Singapore's death penalty (for drug traffickers) is accepted by the people of Singapore.

I don't think you can equate the two resolutions (I am aware you wrote/cowrote both and I opposed both, but on different grounds and I mentioned that).

NON-WA for.

The NS as a whole already votes to the left of AOC (as I have observed on numerous occasions) and if you want to promote your view, feel free to (as it is your right to, and it is a right which obviously I defend), but I will continue to oppose it.

Last edited:
Those aren’t related…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back