TNP Nation
Hulldom
Discord
seathestarlesssky
ga.jpg

World Assembly Peace Prize
Category: Global Disarmament | Strength: Mild
Proposed by: Tinhampton | Onsite Topic

Whereas all sapient rights are put in danger wherever unnecessary armed conflict occurs, the General Assembly hereby:
  1. establishes the World Assembly Peace Prize, hereinafter the Prize,
  2. tasks the WA Commission on Human Rights with:
    1. receiving nominations for the Prize from anyone who works as a head of state or government, legislator, or professor in any member state, in addition to any leaders of member state delegations to the World Assembly; and disregarding nominations with the effect of such individuals nominating themselves, their co-workers or their employer for the Prize,
    2. awarding the Prize each year to that person or group of people resident in any member state who has been nominated in accordance with Article b(i),
    3. basing its decision to award the Prize to any given person or group solely on whether, in its view, they have demonstrably contributed more than any other such person or group in the previous year to the resolution, without violence and with respect for all sapient rights protected by international law, of major conflicts between and within nations which involved or could have realistically involved large-scale acts of violence, and
    4. rewarding (each of) the winner(s) of the Prize in each year with a medallion containing one ounce of 99.9% pure silver and of one-and-a-half inch diameter, which shall have on its obverse the words "WA PEACE PRIZE - WITH PEACE COMES FREEDOM" surrounding the logo of the World Assembly, and on its reverse nothing,

3. forbids members from confiscating any rewards bestowed upon Prize winners under Article b(iv) for any reason not enshrined by prior and standing international law, and
  4. encourages all members to refrain from organised armed conflict which is not necessary to prevent practices (such as terrorism, genocide, and other crimes against humanity) that threaten the achievement of all sapient rights.
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations and NPA personnel will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

[TR][TD] For [/TD][TD] Against [/TD][TD] Abstain [/TD][TD] Present [/TD][/TR][TR][TD]2[/TD][TD]15[/TD][TD]1[/TD][TD]1[/TD][/TR]

Last edited:
IFV

Overview

This resolution seeks to create a World Assembly Peace Prize not dissimilar from the Nobel Peace Prize of real life fame. The author creates the prize in this resolution and stipulates how it shall be chosen and under what circumstances a prize may be revoked.

Recommendation

While we like the idea of commending nations or individuals on their merit and especially for doing the honorable thing of promoting peace, we cannot help but think that such a resolution may just be too meta for the General Assembly and perhaps not well suited for it. However, its current form leads us to judge it by GA standards. Most troubling is the mandate in clause (c) which forbids revoking the Medal once awarded for a reason not “enshrined in prior and standing international law”. The author must know that this is, in fact, a fallacy—no standing law exists which could affect a Prize winner’s standing, effectively giving a route for a Prize winner to commit heinous crimes after their winning it. Therefore, it is not hard to envision a scenario similar to that of 1991 Nobel Peace Prize winner Aung San Suu Kyi continuing the Rohingya genocide after coming to power in the 2010s.

For the above reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote Against the General Assembly Resolution at vote, “World Assembly Peace Prize”.

Against. Non-WA.
1) This will accomplish zero, zilch, nada, other than being a method of self-congratulatory backpatting.
2) I don’t believe this fits in the category and I’m not unsure this isn’t a category violation.
3) Likewise, I’m more certain on this one that it may count as metagaming.

Normally I'd say I'd be "happy to answer any of your questions about this proposal" but it looks like I'll have to actually be asking the questions instead... could you not just file a legality challenge if you are sufficiently concerned about category and metagaming, for example? TNP has previously focused at least one IFV around unsuccessful claims of proposal illegality, for instance. (also how did my proposal end up getting a nine-item sublist that it doesn't actually have :P)

Last edited:
Normally I'd say I'd be "happy to answer any of your questions about this proposal" but it looks like I'll have to actually be asking the questions instead... could you not just file a legality challenge if you are sufficiently concerned about category and metagaming, for example? (also how did my proposal end up getting a nine-item sublist that it doesn't actually have :P)
It’s the way the BBCode works on Xenforo. I can’t exactly change it this way.

Last edited:
This proposal has achieved the necessary approvals to enter the formal queue. Barring it being withdrawn or marked illegal, it will proceed to a vote at Major Update on Tuesday, August 10.

Not much need for a voting thread right away in that case.
Ministry policy is to get these posted when they’re submitted if they stand a good chance of making the queue/are being campaigned for and if they haven’t been marked illegal. We don’t, at least I certainly have been told by those above me, to calculate estimated time to vote and leave out those which fall beyond a certain time limit.

Ministry policy is to get these posted when they’re submitted if they stand a good chance of making the queue/are being campaigned for and if they haven’t been marked illegal. We don’t, at least I certainly have been told by those above me, to calculate estimated time to vote and leave out those which fall beyond a certain time limit.
Is there any rationale beyond it being policy? Having a large number of threads opened to be voted reduces engagement given players are going to be spreading their votes/discussions over so many threads and disenfranchises newer players when a vote has been opened weeks ago.

Is there any rationale beyond it being policy? Having a large number of threads opened to be voted reduces engagement given players are going to be spreading their votes/discussions over so many threads and disenfranchises newer players when a vote has been opened weeks ago.
Not particularly. I understand the rationale there, but it’s also been quite rare that the queue has been this backed up.

IFV

Overview

This resolution seeks to create a World Assembly Peace Prize not dissimilar from the Nobel Peace Prize of real life fame. The author creates the prize in this resolution and stipulates how it shall be chosen and under what circumstances a prize may be revoked.

Recommendation

While we like the idea of commending nations or individuals on their merit and especially for doing the honorable thing of promoting peace, we cannot help but think that such a resolution may just be too meta for the General Assembly and perhaps not well suited for it. However, its current form leads us to judge it by GA standards. Most troubling is the mandate in clause (c) which forbids revoking the Medal once awarded for a reason not “enshrined in prior and standing international law”. The author must know that this is, in fact, a fallacy—no standing law exists which could affect a Prize winner’s standing, effectively giving a route for a Prize winner to commit heinous crimes after their winning it. Therefore, it is not hard to envision a scenario similar to that of 1991 Nobel Peace Prize winner Aung San Suu Kyi continuing the Rohingya genocide after coming to power in the 2010s.

For the above reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote Against the General Assembly Resolution at vote, “World Assembly Peace Prize”.
There was no genocide of the Rohingya.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back