TNP Nation
Cretox State
Discord
Cretox#0125
ga.jpg

Reducing Disease Vectors
Category: Health | Area of Effect: Research
Proposed by: Honeydewistania | Onsite Topic | Sponsored​

Note: This draft was accepted for sponsorship through the World Assembly Accelerator Program. The Ministry of World Assembly Affairs will be recommending a vote in favor of this proposal unless pressing and irreconcilable issues are brought to our attention. If you'd be interested in participating in this program, we encourage you to apply with your draft(s)!
The World Assembly,

Recognising that numerous vector species, such as mosquitos, ticks and fleas, are vectors for deadly diseases such as malaria, dengue fever, bubonic plague and many others, and most of these diseases are difficult to cure or do not have working vaccines;

Concerned that the diseases vectors spread can imperil the health of many;

Believing that reducing the populations of disease vectors is of utmost importance and in the interests of public health, hereby:
  1. Defines:
    1. "vector" as a non-sapient macro-organism that can transmit harmful pathogens to a sapient organism;
    2. "vector-spread pathogen" as a microorganism that can cause a disease, and is spread by vectors;
    3. "vector-infested area" as an area wherein the population of vectors is likely to cause serious harm to sapient populations within that area via vector-spread pathogens;
  2. Tasks member nations with effectively conducting and assembling research on vectors and vector-spread pathogens within their territory that is necessary to reducing the threats of said vectors and vector-spread pathogens to public health;
    1. Member nations that have successfully eliminated or are close to eliminating the threats of vectors to public health are exempt from this mandate, but are encouraged to assist other member nations in their research;
  3. Tasks the Epidemic and Pandemic Alert and Response Centre with, upon request, providing medical information relating to vector-spread pathogens to member nations;
  4. Mandates that member nations publicly release any information in their possession that could potentially reduce vector populations or the spread of vector-spread pathogens for free, with necessary redactions to protect privacy or national security;
  5. Requires that member nations create and promulgate effective and understandable guidelines for people and businesses in vector-infested areas to reduce the breeding of vectors or the spread of vector-spread pathogens;
    1. Clarifies that only vectors or vector-spread pathogens that are the main cause(s) of designating an area as a vector-infested area are those that are to be targeted by this clause;
  6. Urges member nations to further enact policies using the research obtained to reduce disease vectors;
  7. Clarifies that this resolution does not discourage nor limit the usage of other legal and safe methods of reducing the threat of vectors.
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations and NPA personnel will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

[TR][TD] For [/TD][TD] Against [/TD][TD] Abstain [/TD][TD] Present [/TD][/TR][TR][TD]19[/TD][TD]5[/TD][TD]0[/TD][TD]0[/TD][/TR]

Reducing Disease Vectors was passed 11,850 votes to 2,992 (79.8% support).

Last edited by a moderator:
IFV

Overview
This proposal aims to combat the negative public health effects of vector-spread diseases. The legislation seeks to accomplish this goal by mandating the conducting of research necessary to reduce the public health threats of vector-spread diseases, providing for the dissemination of relevant information by the Epidemic and Pandemic Alert and Response Centre and member nations, with exceptions, and instructing member nations to create and enforce policies to combat the threat of vector-spread diseases in high-risk areas.

Recommendation
Though inherently limited in its scope and effects, "Reducing Disease Vectors" is nevertheless a solidly written proposal that effectively legislates on the subject of combatting the public health risks of vector-spread diseases. The proposal's mandates are subject to reasonable limitations, and the information release provision is effectively tempered by an exception for personal privacy or national security purposes.

For these reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends voting For the at-vote General Assembly proposal, "Reducing Disease Vectors".

Note: This proposal was accepted into the TNP WA Accelerator Program, and was subsequently sponsored.

Last edited:
For because it was written by Honey and he'll probably ask me why if I don't vote For if I voted Against and the only reason I am saying this is because I wants cards
If you have a reason for voting against, please do so. You'll still get your cards. :angel:

Against, because:
4. Mandates that member nations publicly release any information in their possession that could potentially reduce vector populations or the spread of vector-spread pathogens for free, with necessary redactions to protect privacy or national security;

Against, because:
"4. Mandates that member nations publicly release any information in their possession that could potentially reduce vector populations or the spread of vector-spread pathogens for free, with necessary redactions to protect privacy or national security;"
I don't see this as problematic, especially compared to the initial version. Privacy and national security are very broad qualifiers. "In their possession" is inherently subject to interpretation. No reasonable nation acting in its self-interest is going to interpret "in their possession" or "privacy or national security" in such a way that they will release sensitive or damaging information.

For, by the way. This looks to effectively address a specific public health risk while leaving room for future legislation to expand on certain clauses.

Last edited:
I don't see this as problematic, especially compared to the initial version. Privacy and national security are very broad qualifiers. "In their possession" is inherently subject to interpretation. No reasonable nation acting in its self-interest is going to interpret "in their possession" or "privacy or national security" in such a way that they will release sensitive or damaging information.

For, by the way. This looks to effectively address a specific public health risk while leaving room for future legislation to expand on certain clauses.
OOC: To maintain my IC stance, I oppose all resolutions forcing me to disclose any information, generally.

Did anyone mention that, strictly speaking, the term ‘vector’ has also been applied to badgers transmitting Mycobacterium bovis, dogs transmitting rabies virus, snails transmitting Schistosoma flatworms and rodents transmitting hantaviruses (not to say the usual suspects such as bats, horses, and humans as vectors for SARS-Cov-2). Honestly I find the fact that the word "vector" has been defined above in such a way to be somewhat droll, for lack of a better word.

I spent 10mins reading and re-reading the resolution (and the corresponding forum discussion) and I am aware that the definition of non-sapient would exclude humans, but I think this resolution basically catches a lot more "vectors" than it appears at first sight.

Last edited:
Did anyone mention that, strictly speaking, the term ‘vector’ has also been applied to badgers transmitting Mycobacterium bovis, dogs transmitting rabies virus, snails transmitting Schistosoma flatworms and rodents transmitting hantaviruses (not to say the usual suspects such as bats, horses, and humans as vectors for SARS-Cov-2). Honestly I find the fact that the word "vector" has been defined above in such a way to be somewhat droll, for lack of a better word.

I spent 10mins reading and re-reading the resolution (and the corresponding forum discussion) and I am aware that the definition of non-sapient would exclude humans, but I think this resolution basically catches a lot more "vectors" than it appears at first sight.

That's true. Perhaps a better term would be sentient creatures? Humans are the only truly sapient creatures in my opinion unless we're willing to REALLY stretch definitions. Pretty sure it's too late now, anyhow.

Even so, we all know what it is talking about so voting for.

Last edited:
That's true. Perhaps a better term would be sentient creatures? Humans are the only truly sapient creatures in my opinion unless we're willing to REALLY stretch definitions. Pretty sure it's too late now, anyhow.

Even so, we all know what it is talking about so voting for.
Mosquitoes are sentient, so this'll exclude those.

If there are so many badgers that it's a literal infestation, and the bacteria they spread is enough to call a public health emergency, what's the problem here?

Clause 2 tasks member nations with assessing the vectors and vector-spread pathogens in their nations but provides no mandate to universalise standards of reporting. This will cause faulty and inefficient data reporting which might not allow EPARC to respond quickly enough to a genuine emergency. Furthermore, the exemption is also based on member nation standards and hence might allow certain member nations to excuse themselves out of reporting data when it is not justified.

While this resolution is about reducing disease vectors, all it does organise data and research on that. The actual policymaking is left to the members in Clause 6. This massively reduces the effectiveness of the resolutions.

Against

Mosquitoes are sentient, so this'll exclude those.

If there are so many badgers that it's a literal infestation, and the bacteria they spread is enough to call a public health emergency, what's the problem here?

Some areas classify dogs as sentient, so a dog cull? Swine cull? I mean, I ate dogs from time to time (I lived in Seoul for sometime, this is way back in time before the more recent restrictions) and have eaten everything from raw horse meat (in Japan) to snakes (in Hong Kong) to aborted half cooked bird fetuses (the Philippines) to whales (again in Japan) to civet cats (in China), not to say the usual sources of human protein such as rabbits, goose, and kangaroos, and I've also tried (and actually quite like) Beyond Meat, so I am not against the principle of this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back