Pataliputra 2020 Odinspyl GROUP A THREAD (Basketball, Handball, Rugby, Soccer, Tennis, Volleyball)

EJF5Q0J.png

L'Indépendant > Mercanti > Sports

Santonian netizens outraged at latest game

15 July 2020
by Germaine Morizet-Thivrier in Pataliputra

SAINTES – the Santonian Internet was fiery with rage at the Odinspyl Women’s football game between Saintonge and Naizerre, which Saintonge lost, 2-1, despite superior possession and more goal attempts. The feeling on the internet largely reflected the view in Saintonge and in the Santonian media that the loss was unjust.

Much of the rage was directed against the Durbanese referee, widely pilloried not just by Santonians but also by Naizerri, for her numerous inexplicable calls against Santonians. Some Naizerris even spoke on it:

7uT0BOQ.png
Funmilayo Oyedele @FunnyOyedele 22h
K61eTf7.png

I’m happy that Naizerre advanced to the next round. I just don’t like it that it was stained by bad refereeing.
#Odinspyl2020 #Naizerre #WomensFootball

18.6K Retwitches • 58.1K Likes

Fr332mY.png

The Santonians were even more angsty. The chants became hashtags, which trended after the game. Here are some Twitcher comments that made the rounds in the Santonian internet:

OSxYbvx.png
Ghyslène Bruneaux @GhyslèneB 22h
K61eTf7.png

Saintonge is not bitter because Saintonge lost.
Saintonge is ANGRY because Saintonge got robbed.

#CoupeLaTête #TêtesDoiventRouler #Robbed

20.5K Retwitches • 76.8K Likes

Fr332mY.png

uq9fTnw.png
Laurence-Christelle Lagarde @LGLagarde 21h
K61eTf7.png

Odinspyl game
Saintonge is playing
Durbanese referee
Saintonge lost

Did I just watch basketball?

#CoupeLaTête #TêtesDoiventRouler #OdinspylCorruption

13.8K Retwitches • 54.5K Likes

Fr332mY.png

Dq2b8wn.png
Amandine Cohade @AmandineCohade 21h
K61eTf7.png

Two penalty kicks against Saintonge.
FOUR disallowed goals.
Are you even for real?

#TêtesDoiventRouler #CoupeLaTête #OdinspylCorruption

9.8K Retwitches • 38.1K Likes

Fr332mY.png

jVdjaLm.png
Monique-Claudine Lespinasse @LespinasseMC 20h
K61eTf7.png

Gotta hand it to the assistant referee, who would have none of the shenanigans the referee wanted to have.
#CoupeLaTête #TêtesDoiventRouler

7.8K Retwitches • 29.5K Likes

Fr332mY.png

KT2hFBw.png
Justin-Marius Delabat @jm_delabat 20h
K61eTf7.png

Spell “Durbanese referee”:
hmQm7ZV.png

Correct! 1,000 points!

#CoupeLaTête #OdinspylCorruption #TêtesDoiventRouler

7.2K Retwitches • 29.1K Likes

Fr332mY.png

Q19oExg.png
Eugenie R. @eugenierobichon 19h
K61eTf7.png

Feels like there's no point saying "Off with her head" to the referee, when clearly the referee doesn't have one.

#CoupeLaTête #TêtesDoiventRouler #OdinspylCorruption

6.2K Retwitches • 23.8K Likes

Fr332mY.png

translation by Kyle MacTaggart-de Flesselles

Last edited:
Odinspyl Pataliptra 2020 Day 9 Results

Handball (Men)

Oclusia 26-21 Lundr
Hessunland 29-29 Highton

New Aleman 24-32 Lawston
Valland 29-26 Prydania

1. Highton (2-1-0)
2. Hessunland (2-1-0)
3. Oclusia (1-0-2)
4. Lundr (0-0-3)

1. Lawston (2-0-1)
2. New Aleman (2-0-1)
3. Prydania (1-0-2)
4. Valland (1-0-2)
Norsos vs. Essalanea
Highton vs. New Aleman
Korova vs. Goyanes
Lawston vs. Hessunland

Rugby (Men) - Quarterfinals

Highton 10-28 Xentherida
Ponterre 26-15 Naizerre
Ulstome 28-14 Astragon
Midir 7-33 Skanda

Xentherida vs. Ponterre
Ulstome vs. Skanda

Soccer (Men)

Saintonge 1-0 Essalanea
Ulstome 2-1 Naizerre

Lanceria 0-2 Skanda
Prydania 1-0 Goyanes

1. Saintonge (2-1-0) 7
2. Ulstome (2-0-1) 6
3. Naizerre (0-2-1) 2
4. Essalanea (0-1-2) 1

1. Skanda (2-0-1) 6
2. Prydania (1-1-1) 4
3. Goyanes (1-1-1) 4
4. Lanceria (0-2-1) 2
Syrixia vs. Demescia
Saintonge vs. Prydania
Highton vs. Astragon
Skanda vs. Ulstome

Odinspyl Pataliptra 2020 Day 10 Results

Handball (Women) - Quarterfinals

Xentherida 25-27 Essalanea
Korova 24-29 New Aleman
Mintoria 26-21 Demescia
Highton 34-24 Norsos

Essalanea vs. New Aleman
Mintoria vs. Highton

Rugby (Women) - Semifinals

Kasu 21-17 Ulstome
Ponterre 33-5 Valland

Kasu vs. Ponterre

Ulstome vs. Valland

Soccer (Women) - Quarterfinals

Goyanes 0-1 Xentherida
New Aleman 0-3 Saintonge

“Come on ladies!” shouted Asta Dotseth as the Ulstome women’s rugby 7’s team gathered together. “I know that the last match we played was far from our best but we need to hold our heads up high and take the defeat in our stride. We need push onwards now and look to our next opponent, Valland.” She looked around the room to gauge the mood before continuing “I look around this room and I see the same strength that has seen us through our matches time and time again. So why should one little defeat stop us from playing at our best, we are the Ulstome Women’s Team! We have faced tough opponents on our journey here and we have come out on top! We have faced opponents who had a lead on us and we have come from behind! So don’t any of you get down on me now! We are going to go out to our next game and we are gonna give them hell! We are gonna walk on stronger than ever and we are gonna walk off with medals!” she waited a few seconds before punching her hand into the air “Come at us!” she cried “We’ll knock you down!” they all yelled back.

Their faces had turned into ones with wide smiles and some even laughed, a stark change from before when they looked considerably down after their goals for Gold had been shattered. After their close defeat to Kasu in the semifinals. The frustration of the team was clear, if they had just been that bit better they could have guaranteed at least silver and likely achieved their goal of Gold but now they were playing for Bronze or nothing and they were sure they were not to go home with nothing. Defeat would not deter them, it seemed it had only motivated them further to not come home with nothing.

“Good Job lads” said Peter Birky his voice booming around the room “I could not have been happier with such a good job against such strong opponents. The Astragon team was tough but we managed to come out on top so be proud.” Wide grins were spread across the face of men’s rugby team. “Gisle you scored some nice trys, good job, you helped us get some good points early on and helped us build up that momentum that saw us through to the win. Keep it up till we have Gold and I might consider you a decent player” he said jokingly “and Sven those were some nice tackles, if I didn’t know any better I’d say you wanted them to get past you” he continued, the room erupted briefly in laughter. “Now on to the more serious stuff. That win has moved us through to the Semi-finals where we have been matched up against Skanda. Now you don’t need me to tell you have serious it is now. We are in the final 4. All of you will have to give 100% effort 100% of the time, we can’t allow any lapse in concentration or messing up of passes.” His eyes narrowed as he made eye contact with each member chosen. “The women are playing for bronze now, but we are going for Gold. If we beat Skanda that is the first step but then we must win the final. We have come so far so should not settle for anything less. So don’t get complacent now. We are going to win this!” the room erupted in cheers.

Ulstome had managed to overcome their Astragon opponents in the quarter-finals 28 to 14, a much better result than they had expected although at many times the match had been close with it looking like Astragon would break through. Now the team’s focus was forward, they would be going into their match against Skanda with high spirits and give it their all as they try to go forward again to the final where they can try to go for Gold!

Through To The Semi-Finals
The Ulstome Men’s Foottball team has managed to get through to the quarterfinals of the Odinspyl under 23’s. Their 2 – 1 win over Naizerre secured the teams position as 2nd in their group behind Saintonge who they had been unfortunate and lost to in their first game of the competition. The game against Naizerre had gone well, the Ulstome team had clearly solved their problems that they had when they played against Saintonge and were now coordinating well with each other and the defence was properly defending against their opponents attacks. On the attack the Ulstome team had been able to play very well, using their wing backs to overlap down the wings to enable fast paced mobile play to gain breakthroughs and gain opportunities for crosses into the box or to just retain possession further down the pitch. In the centre Vaas had been able to link up with Skozen and players on the wings to create plays further up the pitch or working with Tumon and Varson to build up further back before making a quick play with the ball.

In the match against Naizerre the Ulstome side was able to score early on when a quick series of passes between Varson and Tumon created space which Vaas ran into the space created which enabled Varson to pass through the Naizerre midfield who sent it down the right to Zickmer who crossed it in from outside the box to Skozen who volleyed the ball past the keeper and into the back of the net in the 32nd minute. In the 2nd half when Ulstome gained a free kick after a foul on Vaas gave them the opportunity to set up an attack on the goal. Possman took the free kick, sending the ball in where it was deflected out where it found Tumon who passed it round to Salsen who crossed it in from the left, the ball went in but was headed out to the other side where it landed at the feet of Varson who crossed the ball back in again where Vaas used his height to get his head on it and sent it in to score the Ulstome teams second goal in the 73rd minute. Near the end of the match Naizerre got a corner against Ulstome where it was sent in and found the head of Ayad Sahin who was able to score past the Ulstome keeper Koverin.

The Ulstome team performed well and with their win against Naizerre they were able to secure their place as 2nd in their group allowing them to go forward into the quarterfinals with 2 wins and 1 loss. The football team will come up against the Skanda team who they will need to overcome if they wish to progress any further. They will be taking on-board what they have learnt from the goal they conceded on how to improve their defence so that they will be stronger against corners as they go on forward into the tournament.

“You are watching Ulstome National News Sport and we are here with Vaas and Skozen, the goal winners of the day” The reporter turned to the two athletes standing next to him before continuing “now, 2 – 1, a good result. Are you pleased with it?”

Vaas was quick to respond “Yes, of course we are proud, we went out and we played well, and we got the win. Who wouldn’t be?”

The reported continued “now you both played well throughout the game. Are you disappointed that you were not able to score more?”

Vaas was the one to respond again “of course we wanted to score more, everyone wants to score when you’re out there on the pitch. When you’re watching from a screen or in the stands it’s easy to criticise and say what we should have done to score more but when you’re actually on the pitch you take the opportunities as they appear and sadly our ones did not amount to more goals yet we still scored 2 good goals and we are happy with that.”

The reporter turned to Skozen “You’re the youngest player on the team and possibly the youngest in the Odinspyl, how does that make you feel?”

Skozen nervously responded “I… I...I… feel quite honoured to be here. I never would have expected to be here especially at my age and I… I… I… was very surprised to be asked to come here and represent my country so of course I am extremely honoured and umm…”

The reporter interrupted “Well yes, I’m sure everyone would be. You have scored two goals for your country so far, currently the most in your team. How do you think your team has done in supporting you to do so well?”

Skozen replied “The umm.. team has been very supportive um… they have made me feel comfortable and given me advice. Vaas has helped direct me in training and they have sent me so many good balls to which ive used to try and score. Really they have been really supportive.”

The reporter turned to Vaas again “Your teams performance seems to have improved since your defeat to Saintonge, why do you think this is?”

"Well I think the younger players have gained confidence as they became more accustomed to international styles of national football which is quite different to how they play with their clubs. I think their improved experience and better team coordination as they have fit into their roles has helped the team drastically to improve the performance to now."

"Thank you both very much. This is Ulstome National News Sports thank you for watching."

Last edited:
EJF5Q0J.png

Saintonge’s football “superfan” revealed

17 July 2020
by Adrienne-Marie d'Orves in Pataliputra

PATALIPUTRA – the Santonian Internet revelled at the sight of a red-clad Santonian fan, sitting on a wheelchair, attempting to stand to cheer for the men’s football team in its game against Essalanea last July 15.

From Twitcher to Facegram, Santonians on the internet collectively wondered about the identity of this brave guy, trying to stand up for the country even though he has only one leg.

Superfan’s identity revealed
Internet sleuths tracked down the identity of the superfan as Styrbjörn Brink, a twenty-one year old college student from Coire. Styrbjörn is also a known superfan of his local club AJST Coire. And he has more connections to the team.

L’Indépendant caught up with Styrbjörn and his cousin at a Santonian restaurant in Pataliputra. This reporter was surprised that Styrbjörn could actually walk.

“I have a prosthetic left leg,” Styrbjörn said, showing me the advanced robotic leg that he controls using minute movements of his thigh muscles. “I can walk without assistance. I can even play football with my cousin… but I inevitably lose because this is still a handicap and my cousin is really very good.”

Connection to the team
Apparently, Styrbjörn's really very good cousin is Hugberg Steenstrup, a midfielder for AJST Coire and the Santonian men’s football team for Odinspyl 2020. “Styrbjörn taught me football. My big cousin is like my personal coach and my biggest fan.”

“I came here to support Huggiez,” Styrbjörn said.

Huggiez?

“His pet name for me,” Hugberg clarified. “I also made that my Twitcher handle.”

Both Hugberg and Styrbjörn came to Saintonge in 2011 as refugees fleeing the Prydanian Civil War. They were settled in Coire, the historic eastern city with Prydanian connections. The city’s football club, Association Jeunesse de Saint Tobie de Coire, started as a youth club erected in 1835 by the vicar of the Cathedral of Coire, whose patron saint is Saint Tobias of Prydania. AJST Coire currently plays at the top tier of the Santonian football leagues.

bKwwv53.png

The cousins Styrbjörn Brink (left) and Hugberg Steenstrup (right) goofing around after football practice in Saintonge. Styrbjörn Brink could actually stand on his prosthetic leg.

The cousins
Hugberg’s mother and Styrbjörn’s mother were sisters, but the two families used to live far away from each other: the Steenstrups lived in western Prydania, the Brinks in the east. Their politics were also very far away.

“My father was a Syndicalist,” related Hugberg. “I have no memories of him.” Hugberg’s father Kolfinnur, a miner and local Syndicalist leader in Skorraey, was murdered in 2002 by the Óafmáanlegir (secret police) of King Anders III’s Social Commonwealth government. Hugberg’s mother Gilslaug was pregnant with Hugberg at the time of Kolfinnur Steenstrup’s murder, and the Óafmáanlegir were after Gilslaug too.

Gilslaug Steenstrup sought refuge with her sister Gunnbjörg Brink in Hafragil, a mid-sized town outside Haland, where Gunnbjörg’s husband Thorkell served as police chief. Despite their differences in politics, the Brinks took the pregnant Gilslaug in. The Brinks initially kept the presence of Gilslaug Steenstrup a secret, but her childbirth could not be hidden. Gilslaug’s and Hugberg’s presence in Hafragil became an open secret. Since Thorkell Brink wielded the law in Hafragil, those in the know wouldn’t dare betray the presence of Gilslaug Steenstrup.

Hugberg Steenstrup thus grew up with the Brinks. “Styrbjörn is like an older brother to me.”
“And Huggiez is my little bro,” Styrbjörn reciprocated.

The tables turned when the Syndicalists seized power later that year. Now it was the Brinks who were in danger. Thorkell Brink was imprisoned and tortured by the new Syndicalist government, but Gilslaug Steenstrup managed to protect her sister and her family from prison. However, in 2004, Gunnbjörg Brink was gang-raped and murdered by the Syndicalist People’s Militia while trying to look for her husband.

With her reputation preceding her, Gilslaug Steenstrup complained to the Syndicalist government, which surprisingly released Thorkell Brink from prison as a conciliatory move. The Brinks and the Steenstrups immediately sought refuge at the Santonian consulate at Haland.

The two families – Thorkell Brink and his children Fridsteinn, Margunnur, and Styrbjörn; and Gilslaug and Hugberg Steenstrup – were housed in a diplomatically-protected Santonian safehouse at the outskirts of Haland. Hugberg and Styrbjörn practically grew up as asylum seekers in the Santonian diplomatic compound.

“Our childhood was anything but normal,” Styrbjörn said. “We were free, sort of, but only within the confines of the safehouse grounds.” To pass time, Styrbjörn and Hugberg shared a similar passion – football. The two boys dreamed of becoming football players and representing their country one day.

“We’d play football for hours in the fields behind the safehouse, along with the other children of asylum-seekers,” Hugberg reminisced. “But in a way, we were better off than other Prydanian children.” The Syndicalists built their children’s labour camp near the Santonian safehouse. The cousins would sometimes see glimpses of the sad-looking, malnourished children being forced to work.

Accident
Styrbjörn’s hopes for a football career were dashed when he stepped on a landmine in 2010. Unbeknownst to the Santonians, the Syndicalists had discreetly placed landmines around the children’s labour camp to prevent the children from escaping to the nearby Santonian safehouse. Styrbjörn had strayed too far as he was retrieving a football and a landmine detonated. Styrbjörn’s left leg was blown off.

“There went my dream of being a football star,” Styrbjörn said, with an uncharacteristic nonchalance. “At first I couldn’t accept it, but seeing and remembering those children locked up in the adjacent camp… I realised I was still lucky that I was alive. I was lucky that I could still dream.

Hugberg also lost his interest in football. “After seeing what happened to Styrbjörn, I couldn’t play football anymore. I wouldn’t even touch a soccer ball. Big Styr couldn’t reach his dreams anymore. I can’t reach that and leave my cousin behind.”

Rps8Yzr.png

Hugberg and Styrbjörn after their move to Saintonge.

Move to Saintonge
The Santonians evacuated the Haland safehouse after Styrbjörn’s accident. The Brinks and the Steenstrups were sent to Saintonge as one family unit. “We were amazed at the difference as to how people were treated in Saintonge,” Styrbjörn said. “Even though I was just a thirteen-year-old refugee, they got me a prosthetic leg.”

Styrbjörn encouraged Hugberg to try football again, after the family learnt about the sports outreach program based in the Cathedral of Coire.

“Huggiez was like ‘how about you Styrbjörn? I will play and you won’t?’” Styrbjörn said.

“I felt it was unfair that I would be able to reach my dreams and Big Styr won’t,” Hugberg admitted, “We dreamt together, we played together, we should be in it together.”

Styrbjörn accompanied Hugberg to the sports program to encourage his cousin, but something still held Hugberg back.

“At one point, I just had to say it,” Styrbjörn said. “I told Hugberg that he shouldn’t worry about me. I had accepted my fate. I told him that from then on… he will carry the torch for the fulfilment of our dreams… make our dreams come true… because his success is also my success.” The cousins then exchanged warm brotherly glances. Styrbjörn put his arm over his younger cousin’s shoulder. “And I am proud of what my cousin has achieved. It’s like my dreams came true too.”

“I’d like to thank Big Styr for encouraging and supporting me,” Hugberg said. “Without him, there’d be no Hugberg Steenstrup.”

Styrbjörn still continues to attend Hugberg’s big football matches, and this was how he became known as an AJST Coire superfan. The club then also sponsored some of its superfans to attend the Odinspyl in Pataliputra. Styrbjörn was included.

Viral cheering
“I’m surprised I became viral in the internet,” Styrbjörn confessed, “It was an accident.”

In the long lines for admission to the stadium where the Saintonge-Essalanea game was to be played, an overzealous spectator, angling to get in before the game started, crashed into Styrbjörn. Styrbjörn was knocked off balance. “The Syrixian stadium staff saw what happened. I was holding my prosthetic leg and was trying to put it back on. The staff quickly arrived with a wheelchair and whisked me in, bypassing the long lines.

“I wasn’t able to put the prosthetic on because the game was about to start and I have to cheer for Huggiez!”

“You really had to prioritise cheering for me over putting your leg on,” Hugberg teased his cousin.

“Hey man, you come first. Country comes first,” Styrbjörn told Hugberg. “And our dream of representing our country in football… you – we – did it! Only that the country we are representing is Saintonge!”

Last edited:
Peter Bach was drenched in sweat with a Prydanian Flag over his shoulders as a camera was pressed in his face. He wasn't sure what network they were from, he didn't notice the logo. He was too excited to.

"You guys just eliminated the World Champions! How do you feel?" the reporter asked. Peter had to think for a moment before he started to laugh and cry at the same time.

"I didn't score the winning goal" he said, before looking around.
"Where's Tjörvi?" he asked before finding his target and enthusiastically waving him over. The nervous but happy looking eighteen year old Tjörvi Hagtvedt made his way over as Peter put his arm around him.
"Look at this guy!" Peter exclaimed. "Tjörvi Hagtvedt!" he exclaimed.
"My man!"

"Tjörvi!" the interviewer said, continuing her line of questioning.
"You scored the game's only goal, elevating Prydania over Goyanes. You sent the World Champions packing and put Prydania in the quarterfinals! How does it feel?"

"It feels good" Tjörvi replied, his own soft spoken and nervous nature in stark contrast to Peter's bombast.
"When you're on a three-pronged attack with Peter Bach and Kurt Mörch you just sort of hope you can contribute...but it feels great to get an important goal like this."

"You're onto Saintonge Tjörvi, any thoughts?"

Tjörvi smiled and nodded.
"I think it's going to be a good game, if we can continue to play the way we did today. And to my older sister, my brother-in-law, and my nephew and niece in Saintonge, ég elska ykkur öll*!"

Tjörvi, still a bit nervous about being in front of the camera turned and hugged Peter before leaving the interview area.

"Peter" the interviewer continued.
"Prydania finally seemed to find its footing today. What was the difference."

"Well I'll tell ya something!" Peter said firmly.
"We found our grove, as a team. No one was selfish, we all played smart. And when this team, this team here, when it plays smart, no one can beat us. Know how I know? There's an old saying. 'To be the man, you have to beat the man.' And we just beat the man. We just beat the World Champions! So I know we can beat anyone. We just have to want it, and I think we're all hungry. You're going to ask me about Saintonge, and I'll say what Tjörvi said. We play like we did tonight. That's how you win. 'cause we shocked the world, and everyone else better be scared to touch us 'cause we're electric!"

"Thank you Peter" the interviewer replied, "and best of luck in the quarterfinals!"

"Áfram Prydansk*!" Peter proclaimed before heading of...

*ég elska ykkur öll= I love you all

*Áfram Prydansk= Forward Prydania, the chant/motto of the Prydanian national team

Last edited:
EJF5Q0J.png

Saintonge Men's Football team advances to the Quarterfinals

16 July 2020
by Jules-Régnier Castillan de Réalcamp in Pataliputra

PATALIPUTRA – the Santonian Men's Football Team advanced to the quarterfinals in Odinspyl Football Tournament after defeating Essalanea 1-0.

The game's lone goal was supplied by Kévin-Ardouin Cremillieux, who converted a pass from Hugberg Steenstrup into a goal in the 35th minute. Though in the latter half, the Santonians were in possession majority of the time, the solid Essalan defence thwarted any additional Santonian goals.

The Santonians finish on top of Group C with two wins and one draw. The Red Devils will be facing the storied Prydanian team next, another formidable team that rose from the bottom of Group D to defeat World Cup Champions Goyanes to qualify in the quarterfinals. The outcome will be both exciting and uncertain, as the record between the Santonian and Prydanian junior teams are even.

Last edited:
EJF5Q0J.png

Santonian Lady Footballers have a chance at a medal

16 July 2020

PATALIPUTRA – the Diablesses Rouges finally has a shot at a medal. The Santonian Women's Football team goes to the semifinals after defeating New Aleman 0-3.

The Queen of Santonian Football Marie-Reine Potel scored two of those goals, in the 16th and 57th minutes, whizzing past the New Aleman defenders to lob the ball into the net. Julienne-Avelline Baronne de Capoue, the baroness, then piled on the lead at the 80th minute, after a new set-piece tactic involving Tatiana Godina-Goff and Potel.

After defeating their land neighbours, the Santonians will be facing their sea neighbours Xentherida in the semifinals.

p61oEaB.png

Prydania Eliminates World Football Champions, Advances to Quarterfinals Against Saintonge
by Ketill Oien

Býkonsviði- The Prydanian women's football team had a more impressive group stage then the men's team, but the men's ended theirs with a bang and will be joining the women in the 2020 Odinspyl football Quarterfinals. Prydania's men tied Lanceria to open the tournament, but lost to Skanda despite outplaying them in a game that mirrored the 2019 World Cup. The loss frustrated many on the team. Manager Jakob Höj lambasted the media for their coverage of the team and reports of tension between captain Peter Bach and fellow star Kurt Mörch were abound. Many were predicting a meltdown against the reigning World Cup Champions.

Instead Prydania came out playing a disciplined game. The tension between Bach and Mörch that played a role in missed chances in the Skanda game were absent. They, in addition to the third attacker Tjörvi Hagtvedt hit crisp passes, controlled the ball, and seemed to pick their spots rather than the frantic rush normally associated with this Prydanian team. In fact it was neither Bach or Mörch who scored the only goal. Instead Mörch set up Hagtvedt with a cross pass that the eighteen year old converted in the 52nd minute. The goal was a huge emotional release for the players and fans as both Goyanes and Prydania had been playing tightly controlled football up until then, with each team attempting to score with surgical precision.

Hagtvedt's goal ended up being the only one of the match, but it was enough. The victory not only validated a Prydanian men's team frustrated with their performance thus far, but also was just enough to eek them over Goyanes in the group standings. This earns them a spot in the Quarterfinals, where they will face Saintonge.

Saintonge has had a bit of a rocky group stage itself, though it didn't need to wait for the final match to secure a Quarterfinals spot. In that regard the game promises to be quite good. It will feature two teams that have emerged to play some quality football at the right time after being tested. The interest in the game extends beyond the pitch though.
Saintonge and Prydania share intertwined royal families, and Saintonge is the nation with the largest Prydanian population abroad. The humanitarian efforts of the Kingdom of Saintonge to rescue Prydanian refugees during both the Social Commonwealth and Syndicalist regimes, and to aid Prydania as it recovers from a decade and a half of Civil War and economic mismanagement, are well documented. Not to mention the political drama of the past month.

The intrigue beyond the pitch might be the focus for many, but the game will ultimately be decided by the players. Members of both royal families seem to know that too. Absalonhöll has reported that His Majesty has wished his cousins Princes Thibault-Maximilian and Timothée-Brice of Saintonge well for their team in the upcoming match.

Last edited:
The gathering could easily be mistaken for a sports pub event where people are going to watch that night’s game. Young men clad in red football kits, jackets, or hoodies going around, drinks in hand, have a good time together.

But it was not at a sports pub, it was at a Predicean restaurant in Pataliputra. And it was not a screening of a game, it was the party after the press conference between the Santonian and Prydanian teams, who would be facing each other in the quarterfinals in the Odinspyl Men’s Football competition.

The two teams mingled together almost as if the players were longtime friends, sharing stories and experiences, and even football tips and techniques. One would be hard-pressed to identify who is Santonian and who is Prydanian, apart from when they open their mouths to speak or when they sip their drink – the Santonians have their wine and the Prydanians have their beer.

Their coaches, Frédéric Janvion for Saintonge and Jakob Höj for Prydania, sat together at one table, exchanging stories over carbonara and pizza. The two coaches were familiar with each other, their teams having faced off at the group stage in the 2019 World Cup. Saintonge lost that game, 3-1, but that was with the senior men's team. This was with the more junior team. Will history repeat itself again in this upcoming game?

“What history do you want to repeat?” Janvion asked.
“This history of good relations, gladly,” Höj answered, raising his glass of beer.

Over at the next table, six teenagers – three Santonian and three Prydanian – are having a good time over platefuls of food. The current state of relations between the Santonian and Prydanian teams was thanks largely to Prydanians Tjörvi Hagtvedt and Röskvi Hallum, and Santonian Hugberg Steenstrup.

“It’s a brotherhood,” Hagtvedt declared. “The Santonians are our best buds now.”

“Have you ever seen two teams who are about to face each other in the next game… party like this?” Santonian Marc-Colomban Scotellaro quipped. “Other people trash talk the other team.”

“Trash talking is for trashy losers,” Prydanian Eyjólfur Barstad commented. “Why should we let down our brothers?”

The boys told the story as to how the close friendship between the two red-clad teams came about. Hagtvedt and Hallum learned that a Prydanian refugee kid of their age was playing for the Santonian team. Hagtvedt also felt a connection as his older sister, niece, and nephew were in Saintonge.

Hagtvedt and Hallum sought out Hugberg Steenstrup right after the opening ceremony and introduced themselves. The three, along with native Santonian Brice-Baudouin Schaerlaekens, became friends and hung out together during their free time.

Soon they introduced each other to their other teammates, and friendships started forming, especially among the younger team members. On Facegram, Santonian striker Druron Dangereaux posted a picture with Hagtvedt, Hallum, Steenstrup, and defender Saxi Rosholt captioned with “my new Prydanian bros!”

In one corner of the restaurant were the most senior members of the teams. The captain of the Santonian team Jonathan Jeandupeaux was speaking with Prydanians Peter Bach and Kurt Mörch. All three had played in the Saintonge – Prydania game in last year’s World Cup, and everyone remembered how physical that game was. Even Jeandupeaux was injured in the game, which put him out of service for several of the World Cup games.

“I don’t like you guys hurting my kids,” Jeandupeaux teased Bach and Mörch. “I can still remember when you Peter tore Philippe’s ACL.” Bach’s tackle in that game resulted in Robert-Philippe de Vergennes having an anterior cruciate ligament tear.

Bach gamely laughed. “Don’t worry, I won’t hit your kids… as long as they don’t have the ball.”

“Hey now, you Santonians also ‘hurt’ me in that game,” Mörch countered.
“Blame Florian,” Jeandupeaux answered. In that same game, Florian Blaquart got a yellow card after crashing into Mörch. “And besides, Peter started it first,” Jeandupeaux added.

“What… me? Starting first?” Bach said, trying to act innocently. He took a sip of his beer. “Yeah, I admit it. I’ll be friendlier to your kids this time.”

The three looked at the rest of their teams, happily eating and drinking and hanging out with each other. “I think our match will be friendly fun.”

OOC Notes: Post pre-approved with @Prydania .

Last edited:
Odinspyl Pataliputra 2020 Day 11 Results

Handball (Men) - Quarterfinals

Norsos 29-25 Essalanea
Highton 31-30 New Aleman
Korova 24-24 Goyanes (25-27 AET)
Lawston 28-31 Hessunland

Norsos vs Highton
Goyanes vs Hessunland

Rugby (Men) - Semifinals

Ponterre 36-30 Xentherida
Ulstome 19-21 Skanda

Gold: Ponterre vs Skanda
Bronze: Xentherida vs Ulstome

Soccer (Men) - Quarterfinals

Syrixia 0-1 Demescia
Saintonge 2-2 Prydania (2-3 AET)
Highton 2-0 Astragon
Skanda 2-1 Ulstome

Demescia vs. Prydania
Highton vs. Skanda

Soccer (Women) - Quarterfinals

Prydania 0-0 Norsos (6-7 PK)
Naizerre 1-1 Highton (1-2 AET)

Xentherida vs. Saintonge
Norsos vs. Highton

Odinspyl Pataliputra 2020 Day 12 Results

Basketball (Men) - Quarterfinals

Syrixia 80-74 Callise
Epiphani 79-60 Lawston
Kalety 71-79 Malor-Kanada
Prydania 100-85 Hessunland

Syrixia vs. Epiphani
Malor-Kanada vs. Prydania

Basketball (Women) - Quarterfinals

Hessunland 77-77 Yalkan (85-87 OT)
Highton 81-81 Epiphani (88-90 OT)
Prydania 79-58 Syrixia
Xentherida 79-77 Polihy

Yalkan vs. Epiphani
Prydania vs. Xentherida

Rugby (Women) - Finals

Kasu 5-12 Ponterre
Valland 7-29 Ulstome

Gold: Ponterre
Silver: Kasu
Bronze: Ulstome

Odinspyl Pataliputra 2020 Day 13 Results

Rugby (Men) - Finals

Ponterre 15-17 Skanda
Xentherida 7-20 Ulstome

Gold: Skanda
Silver: Ponterre
Bronze: Ulstome

EJF5Q0J.png

Diablesses Rouges are the country's hope for a team sports medal

19 July 2020

PATALIPUTRA – with the elimination of the Santonian men's football team in their surprise 3-2 loss to Prydania, the women's football team is the country's only hope in winning a medal in the team sports that had been announced so far. Santonian netizens made the hope and prospect of the Diablesses Rouges winning a medal as their rebound after the disappointment.

OSxYbvx.png
K61eTf7.png

Why do men always let us down?

(just kidding, we love you guys)

But GIRLS! LET'S GET IT ON! GIRL POWER!

#ViveLesDiablessesRouges #GirlPower #STG #Odinspyl2020

26.5K Retwitches • 102.5K Likes

Fr332mY.png

Q19oExg.png
Eugenie R. @eugenierobichon 21h
K61eTf7.png

@DiablessesRouges, you are our only hope left for a team sports medal! Girls are the best!
#ViveLesDiablessesRouges #GirlPower #STG #Odinspyl2020

16.0K Retwitches • 69.5K Likes

Fr332mY.png

Dq2b8wn.png
Amandine Cohade @AmandineCohade 20h
K61eTf7.png

The fine men of the Santonian football team went up bravely against the Prydanians. It was a fair game.

But I don't think both teams deserve to come up for an elimination this early. Have you guys heard of the Santonian mathematician's saying that the group allocations were probably rigged? #OdinspylCorruption

Girls, let's show them what this country got!

#ViveLesDiablessesRouges #GirlPower #Odinspyl2020

12.5K Retwitches • 48.5K Likes

Fr332mY.png

4EIDaRG.png
Suzanne @SuzanneDeschenes 19h
K61eTf7.png

Next time we have a battle of the sexes, I will have more ammunition on why women are the superior sex.

3.5K Retwitches • 16.2K Likes

Fr332mY.png

Even some in the men's national team reacted.

3Aq6RD0.png
Hugberg Steenstrup
F3ZOb10.png
DytDBZP.png
@huggiez 12h

K61eTf7.png

Saintonge, we are sorry we have failed you
NGUTD5O.png

But I hope the women will make up for our failures, as they always do
V4AFasl.png
V4AFasl.png

1.6K Retwitches • 11.5K Likes

Fr332mY.png

NPPlsQF.png
Alain-Raphaël Taillefer
8CaG3Qd.png
@RaphTaillefer 11h

K61eTf7.png

We implore our merciful queen @reinepotel, and her nobles @FdeLavicomterie and @jadelacapoue, to spare our heads. Please don't make our heads roll because we didn't win. Just reign supreme on the field and we, your loyal subjects, will be forever faithful.
V4AFasl.png

2.5K Retwitches • 13.5K Likes

Fr332mY.png

The Diablesses Rouges will play Xentherida next. Saintonge advanced after having defeated New Aleman in the quarterfinals. If the Santonian team wins against Xentherida, Saintonge is going to play for the gold/siver medal against the winner of the Norsos vs Highton game.

Last edited:
19 July 2020
12:37 pm
On a Sunday

Pataliputra
, Syrixia

Peter Bach sat down in the hotel room. It was a basic room setup, nothing too fancy, but it did strike him as significantly nicer than his room at the Athlete's Villiage.

"Peter, good to see you" Kristbjörg Rosett remarked as the football captain took his seat.
"I'll be right with you" she added as she finished up with her hotel room coffee.

"Good to see you too Dr. Rosett" he replied, leaning back in the chair.
"Thanks again for coming to Syrixia for this."

"My pleasure" Kristbjörg replied as she took her seat opposite Peter.
"Can I get you anything? Water? There's pop in the minibar."

"It's ok, I'm fine, thank you."

"So" Kristbjörg began smiling softly.
"Congratulations on beating Saintonge."

"Thank you" Peter replied smiling meekly.
"It was a good match, very competitive football, but clean."

"I noticed that. You didn't go after anyone. That's good. The anger management is working then."

"I've found outlets for it. Some of it just through extra hustle on the field. Others though just....talking I guess."

"So that blow up with Kurt, that helped?"

"We got stuff out of our system, yeah."

"That's good" Kristbjörg replied.
"We sometimes hold in things we shouldn't. It makes things worse when we don't release that frustration."

Peter just nodded. She was right, and he took a deep breath. The emotional roller coaster of this tournament was rough for him. He took care to try and be centred.

"I saw that you and the guys went out with the Santonian team for drinks before the game. I was happy to see you went. How was it?"

"It was...good. Good I think."

"Tell me about it" Kristbjörg replied with a friendly smile. Peter sighed. He was never good at explaining how he felt. Of course he'd gotten better at it with therapy, but he never truly felt comfortable explaining them.

"I mean...it was just nice to get out and do something other than sitting in my room, playing, or training. It was good to get out, have some drinks. Meet some new people."

"Who did you meet?"

"I was mostly with Kurt. We talked with Jonathan Jeandupeaux, the Santonian captain."

"You've met him before, right?"

"Only during the 2019 World Cup game."

"So I hope you had a good talk with him."

"It was friendlier than I guess anyone thought it would go" Peter replied with a smile.

"So Kurt, Johnathan..." Kristbjörg replied.
"Anyone else?"

"Not really. The guys did their thing, mingled with the other team."

"You're still having trouble getting out of your shell then."

"I just..." Peter sighed and ran both of his hands through his hair.

"I'm just...the guys know they can count on me when I talk to the media or during a game. It's very hard though. To overcome that feeling when I think I may want to go out."

"Anxiety, yes...is it getting better? Day to day I mean. I know it still flares up at the prospect of social situations."

"I still get the attacks. Today I woke up feeling anxious. I still feel that way...I know I shouldn't. We won, it was a good game. A clean game. I just feel anxious. Knowing what it is helps though" he smiled.

"Absolutely. These things can have triggers. Sometimes they don't, but often they can. I just want to make sure that the incident with the fan during the game didn't cause any distress."

"It reminded me of the war" he said softly. Kristbjörg could only nod understandably.

"I want you to know, Peter, that I'm proud of you. We're not where you should be, we need to get you out and about more. Still, I'm remarkably proud of the progress you've made in opening yourself up since we began our talks. Did the incident with the fan feel like it sent you into a retreat of sorts?"

"I thought of mom" Peter said matter of factly.
"I can still see when the Militia came for her and..."

Kristbjörg placed a hand on his knee.
"Peter it's ok..."

Peter nodded, breathing easily. Such a memory would have reduced him to tears even a year ago. Now he found it much easier to get through them.
"Thank you" he said with a nod.

"Peter, you lost your mother. You crawled in yourself to cope, only coming out for sport. You've made tremendous progress, but you need to start recognizing these emotional triggers. The incident with the fan. The feelings it stirred are much like anxiety itself. You cannot stop them from happening. It would be unhealthy if you could. Your mind is your mind, and it works how it does. We can recognize these things like anxiety, like emotional triggers, and knowing what they are, they can be key in helping keep them in check. Not at bay, but in check. Every emotion has its place, even the desire to be alone. It's just getting you to a place where you can healthily sort them out."

Peter smiled.
"I just...it's very easy to just retreat into my own headspace."

"I know" Kristbjörg replied with another knowing nod. Peter had been doing it since he was sixteen, to deal with the trauma of losing his mother in the Harrying of Hadden. She was just hopeful she could bring him out of it.
"And there's nothing wrong with it. We all need alone time, but everyone- even introverts- need a social space. Being around others, it energizes us." Peter took it in, and just sat there. He seemed like he was deep in thought. It was so strange. Most people knew Peter Bach as a loud mouth footballer. Kristbjörg, however, had quickly learnt that he was rather quiet off camera.

"So" she continued, "are you looking forward to playing Demescia?"

"Yeah" Peter replied.
"They've been a surprise. It should be fun, to play them. We can't take them lightly so we'll see what happens if we push them."

"Remember, anger in check" Kristbjörg said with a wink.

"Right" Peter replied with a smile.

"Ok Peter, we'll check back in a few days. You know my number. Call or text if we need to talk."

"Always Doctor" Peter said with a smile as they both stood.

"Best of luck" Kristbjörg said as she gave him a hug before he departed.
"Oh Peter" she thought.
"We'll get you there soon enough."

p61oEaB.png

Prydanian Men's Team Beats Saintonge in Tight Game
by Ketill Oien

Býkonsviði- The interest in the Quarterfinals matchup between Saintonge and Prydania generated much interest off of the field. It was down to the players on both sides to see to it that the match on the field lived up to all of that human interest and hype. Both sides did well, and the match did.
Things started off two nights before when the two clubs- managers and captains included- were spotted at a Predician restaurant. The teams coming together- fuelled by Prydanians with family in Saintonge and Santonians of Prydanian descent- was a welcomed show of sportsmanship and camaraderie. Coach Jakob Höj looked much more at ease with his Santonian counterpart Frédéric Janvion exchanging stories and pizza then he did dealing with a media he's grown increasingly frustrated with. As for the players? I will only direct you to their various social media accounts.

The lingering question from the evening, however, was whether the game would be a repeat of the 2019 group stage match in which Prydania won a controversial game 3-1, where the physical play of Peter Bach led to a number of injuries on the Santonian side. Bach and Santonian captain Jonathan Jeandupeaux were seen that night seemingly enjoying each other's company, but who knew what the game would bring.

It brought what I would describe as one of the most compelling football matches I've ever seen. And I realize this is not the editorial section, so please believe me when I make that point clear.
The match was clean, which helps erase the uncomfortable feeling of the 2019 match. Bach, and his fellow team leader Kurt Mörch seemed focused, like they were in the Goyanean game. With on-point, controlled ball movement and crisp passes. Shady tackles and shoving were lacking, and instead we got some excellent displays of technical skills. From both Bach and Mörch, as well as the Santonians.

It was the Santonians opened the scoring in the 14th minute thanks to Druron Dangereaux who led a beautifully executed offensive attack, tying the Prydanian defence in knots before nailing a beautiful kick from the middle of the box to beat Prydanian goaltender Eskild Brandt.
Coach Höj could be seen by keen lip readers remarking "hvernig gerði hann það*?"

Pyrdania responded in the 28th minute as Tjörvi Hagtvedt, the hero of the Goyanean game, returned the favour to Kurt Mörch, feeding him the ball for Prydania's first goal of the night. Peter Bach showed up, not as the instigator of any incidents or as a card recipient. Instead he took Prydania out to a 2-1 lead off of the momentum of Mörch's goal, just five minutes later in the 33rd.

It was here, with the score 2-1 in Prydania's favour that a great game exemplified by technical skill and sportsmanship became something to truly remember.

The Santonians equalized in the 82nd minute, thanks to an unexpected long goal from midfielder Hugberg Steenstrup. The long goal tied the game 2-2, capping off increased Santonian pressure to tie that had the Prydanian defence on the back foot for the six minutes prior. The uncontested goal led to a minor altercation, not in the field, but on the stands.
As Steenstrups’ goal went in, shouts of “TRAITOR!” and “SYNDICALIST SCUM!” were heard from one of the Prydanian stands. A small group of Prydanian fans loudly insulted Steenstrup, who was a refugee from Prydania. The group of about five Prydanian fans started chanting an anti-Syndicalist slogan wishing death to traitors. The other Prydanians in the audience tried to shout them down, the Santonians booed them. Several Prydanian fans went up to the group to chastise them, and arguments ensued.

The game’s most vivid moment came when Prydanian team captain Peter Bach stood in front of the stand where the hecklers were located. Bach pointed an angry finger at them and ordered them to get out of the stadium. Humiliated, the group left before the stadium security arrived. The entire stadium, Prydanians and Santonians alike, applauded as security escorted the hecklers out.
Before the game restarted, Bach gave the flustered Steenstrup a brotherly hug and apologized for the words of his compatriots.

Bach was later asked what he and Steenstrup said.

"I told him not to listen to idiots, and I told him his old home was proud of him."

When asked if anything else was said Bach smiled.
"I told him it was a hell of a goal! Anything else was just between two guys on the pitch. Not everything needs to be reported."

The game restarted soon after the embrace and the 90 minutes ended with the score 2-2. Allotted extra time was added.
AET is a strange thing. Many teams play safe. Why not? A risky maneuver that leads to a blunder can lose even the best teams a game in AET. Statistically both teams are better off taking the 50/50 gamble that is the penalty kick round. Neither team got that memo though. Both Jakob Höj and Frédéric Janvion had their teams playing very engaging football.
One could write Höj's decision to do so off as a reaction to the stinging experience of the penalties that lifted Highton over Prydania in the 2017 World Cup, but Janvion was likewise interested in going for the win in the extended game.

"I can't speak for Frédéric exactly" Höj said after the game, "but I think we both knew this game needed to go the distance. Two teams playing keep away after the last 90 minutes wasn't fair to them. Or our fans."

AET saw two shots on goal, one from each side. Santonians got the first crack at things with Kévin Cremillieux nailing a beautiful shot that Brandt turned away with his fingertips.

The Prydanian counter-attack stalled, but they managed to keep possession. A second attempt to get the ball into the Santonian zone gave Kurt Mörch a shot deep in the box, which he burned in the corner of the goal to make it 3-2 Prydania. That would be the final score.

The game was close, fast paced, competitive without being aggressive and dirty. The players hugging it out on the field afterwards told the whole store. One could be forgiven for assuming this was a semifinal matchup, or even the Finals. The emotion, the quality of play, could all lead someone to believe such a thing. Both sides have much to be proud for, representing their country through sport as it was intended to be. And fans of both can be proud of their teams.

A small shadow does intrude, however. Perhaps this game should have been a Finals or Semifinals matchup. A Santonian mathematician’s theory was posted Twitcher to explain the disparity in the men's soccer groupings. The math does seem to check out. In many ways both Saintonge and Prydania ran the gauntlet just to get here, in ways other teams in this tournament simply didn't. More to be proud of, though the lingering question of those mathematical data points remains.

Regardless, Prydania will play Demescia in the Semifinals. The winner of the match will play the winner of Highton vs Skanda in the Finals.

*hvernig gerði hann það?= how'd he do that?

written in collaboration with @Kyle, who penned the part of the article about Hugberg Steenstrup's goal and the fan altercation

Last edited:
Odinspyl Pataliputra 2020 Day 14 Results

Basketball (Men) - Semifinals

Syrixia 90-101 Epiphani
Malor-Kanada 73-86 Prydania

Gold: Epiphani vs. Prydania
Bronze: Syrixia vs. Malor-Kanada

Basketball (Women) - Semifinals

Yalkan 88-82 Epiphani
Prydania 58-65 Xentherida

Gold: Yalkan vs. Xentherida
Bronze: Epiphani vs. Prydania

Handball (Women) - Semifinals

Essalanea 27-30 New Aleman
Mintoria 21-29 Highton

Gold: New Aleman vs. Highton
Bronze: Essalanea vs. Mintoria

Soccer (Women) - Semifinals

Xentherida 0-2 Saintonge
Norsos 2-2 Highton (PK 4-5)

Gold: Saintonge vs. Highton
Bronze: Xentherida vs. Norsos

Odinspyl Pataliputra 2020 Day 15 Results

Handball (Men) - Semifinal

Norsos 32-34 Highton
Goyanes 28-28 Hessunland (31-30 AET)

Gold: Highton vs. Goyanes
Bronze: Norsos vs. Hessunland

Soccer (Men) - Semifinal

Demescia 0-2 Prydania
Highton 0-0 Skanda (0-1 AET)

Gold: Prydania vs. Skanda
Bronze: Demescia vs. Highton

Odinspyl Pataliputra 2020 Day 16 Results

Basketball (Women) - Finals

Yalkan 79-76 Xentherida
Epiphani 83-72 Prydania

Gold: Yalkan
Silver: Xentherida
Bronze: Epiphani

p61oEaB.png

Prydania Advances to Gold Medal Game Against Skanda in Men's Soccer
by Ketill Oien
Býkonsviði- Prydania continued their momentum from their victory over Saintonge by defeating Demescia in the Semfinals 2-0. The game itself was closer than the score indicated, with Demescia actually holding a slight possession advantage over Prydania. The difference lay in Demescia's inability to get the ball past midfield. Prydania took advantage of the stalling Demescian attack by getting the ball deep, and relying on the three pronged attack of Bach, Mörch, and Hagtvedt to press the Demescian defence.

Hagtvedt scored his second goal of the tournament in the 52nd minute, and this ended up being the game winner. Bach scored in the 77th minute, putting the game out of reach for a Demescian offence that struggled to get traction past centre field.

Prydania, which at one point sat at the bottom of Group D, will now face fellow Group D nation Skanda in the Gold Medal game. It was a loss to Skanda in the Group Stage that put Prydania on the back foot. It forced them into a do or die game against Goyanes. Prydania won that game, knocked off the World Champions, and got into the Tournament. One harrowing victory over Saintonge and one easier win over Demescia later and Prydania faces Skanda. The source of their earlier frustrations. It goes deeper than the Odinspyl too. Prydania's loss Skanda in the 2019 World Cup is seen as having derailed their ambitions for that tournament.

It will be a chance at redemption for the Prydanian team in more ways than one. A chance to avenge two previous losses, of course. And a chance to make amends for a previous performance. Prydania dominated the group game against Skanda, which they lost 4-3. And yet couldn't secure the game. The Prydanian team has undergone an attitude and gameplay philosophy change since then and are riding a three game winning streak. Skanda has been on a roll as well, however. And they will be determined to deny the Prydanians that chance at redemption.

The Gold Medal game has been set and it's a rematch of the game that changed the dynamics of the tournament. Only one team will emerge victorious.

Last edited:
Arnfríður Leth stood next to Peter Bach, the Prydanian men's football team captain. He was dressed eccentrically to be sure. Jeans, a pink collared shirt, grey sports jacket, and a matching grey front to back cap.

"Peter Bach, the Prydanians are on their way to face Skanda in the Gold Medal game! What do you have to say to everyone back in Prydania, and across the world, cheering you guys on?"

"I want to thank all of the fans back home and everywhere else, who have Flutted and Twitched and written in expressing their support. All the way from His Majesty all the way down to the people working by day to get by. We truly have the support of the nation and it's wonderful. They supported us when no one else did, when we were down."

"The Skandans! The team that beat us, the team that forced us to find ourselves! Well tough luck for the because we did! I don't think I have to say anything else about how I feel about that team! They're saying they're going to put hard times on us, on the Prydanian team! They don't know hard times, let me tell you that!"

"Hard times are when the auto manufacturing plant's only at half capacity because of a Syndicalist mortar, and you don't know if you're going to be able to work that week! When you've got four or five kids you can't feed because no one's got the wages! Hard times are when the shipyards are closed and the ship builders are out of work and they tell them 'go home'! And hard times are when you're livin' in a refugee camp in your own home town! That's hard times, and no one on the Skandan team knows hard times better than we do! That's hard times!"

"And Skanda, you want to put hard times on our country, by knocking us out? Our entire country, from our King to the men and women working and struggling to put their lives back together, had hard times together! Let me tell them, our team's vicious. They know we're vicious. Skanda? No one expected us to get this far, but now that we're here? We're going to fight and scratch our way to that Gold Meda!"

Bach reaches out in the direction of the camera.

"And I'm reaching out, to every Prydanian watching this, I want them to know I'm taking their hand for this match and reaching out for them! For the love they've shown our team! Because we're going to beat Skanda and we're going to continue fighting for them!"

"And Skanda? Let me leave you all with this. We know how to challenge you. It's to take the thing you cherish more than anything in this world. That's a shot at the Gold Medal. We're going to win, and we're taking it all! For every soul lost in the war, who never got to see a Prydanian team get this far, we're going to keep winning for them. I love 'em all. I love 'em all!"

Bach leaves, and the screen fades to black.

Last edited:
Röskvi and Eyjólfur had headed out to grab something to eat, leaving Tjörvi Hagtvedt alone in his room. It was for the best. The Odinspyl Athlete Village quarters were very nice, but you rarely had time to yourself with two roommates. Besides, he wanted privacy. He hadn't had a chance to call his sister yet, though they'd spoken on Twitcher.

He dialed the Santonian number as he sat down on the couch that overlooked the sliding glass door. Pataliputra really did look beautiful at sunset...

"Oui bonjour" a male voice replied. It was Léopold-Christophe Beauvais, his brother in law. Tjörvi blushed. He liked Léopold, but is Santonian wasn't really that good. His Mercanti was better, though not perfect. Léopold himself spoke better Mercanti, but Tjörvi wanted to try and improve his Santonian. And he felt a bit embarrassed doing it with Léopold.

"Eh, bonjour Léopold?" Tjörvi replied in accented Santonian.

"Hello Tjörvi!" Léopold replied in Mercanti, causing Tjörvi to sigh in relief.
"Congratulations on beating Demescia. We were all rooting for you. We saw your goal! Little Mariette was very excited!"

Tjörvi smiled at the mention of his niece.
"I'm very happy to hear that" he replied in Mercanti that wasn't as laboured by his Prydanian accent as his Santonian had been.
"I'm sorry about the Saintonge game" he added with a soft smile.

Léopold chuckled.
"Well it was a punch to the gut, but it hurt less knowing it was a good game. No Durbanese refs ruining it. Congratulations on that one too though. You and your teammates played well."

"Thank you Léo it was a good game. It was one where you just felt good after it."

"I bet...hey, you want to talk to Ásthildur, yeah?"

Tjörvi smiled. He liked Léopold a great deal, but he was eager to speak to his sister.
"Yeah, I wanted to talk to her before the gold medal game."

"Sure thing, let me see..."
There was a brief pause as Tjörvi heard Léopold call away from the phone.
"Ásthildur?!"
Tjörvi perked hearing his sister's faint voice in the background.
"Oui? qu'Est-ce que c'est?"
"C'est ton frere! Il veut parler!"
"Tjörvi?! Donne-moi le téléphone!"
Tjörvi knew enough Santonian to pick out what was being said, and soon his sister was on the line.

"Tjörvi!" Ásthildur Beauvais replied happily.
"How are you?" she asked in Prydanian.

"Good! Better now that I can talk to you. I'm sorry I didn't call after the Saintonge match. We had a lot of drills"

"No, no, don't apologize. I can't imagine how busy you must be. Everyone here was so excited watching you score in the Goyanes game. I nearly cried!"

"Aww sis, no, please don't" Tjörvi said with a smile.

"And then I actually did when you mentioned us after the game. Mariette waved to the tv to say 'hi' back to her uncle."

Tjörvi blushed but smiled. His niece was only four, but she already seemed to be in love with football. And had gotten very excited to hear that her uncle was playing in the Odinspyl.
"She's just one year away from starting soccer herself! And before you know it we'll all be old and watching her at the World Cup and Odinspyl!"

"She can't wait! I know they say don't wish for your kids to grow up too fast, but I wouldn't mind fast forwarding a year. She needs to get out there so she'll stop kicking balls at our fireplace!"
Tjörvi just laughed.
"What's so funny?"

"You know who that sounds like? Me! Remember móðir and pabbi scolding me when I was little?"

Ásthildur smiled and remembered back to those days, before they all got separated.
"Yeah, and I remember trying to tell you not to do it! I didn't like seeing you get punished! I think fyrirgefðu was every other word you'd say at one point."

"Well look how I turned out! It's a good omen for Mariette. And how's Christian doing?" he asked referring to his one year old nephew.
"He can say 'mother' and 'father' in Santonian. He's got father's eyes..."

"Awww, sis, I can't wait to see them again! They look so happy in all the Twitcher posts."
He only had their Aunt in Prydania now. No one else was left. He would have seriously considered attempting to emigrate to Saintonge upon reconnecting with his sister, but his uncle had died shortly after the War. He wasn't going to leave her alone. He'd gotten along great with his brother-in-law and niece and nephew the one time he met them though, and he always looked forward to his sister sharing pictures on Twitcher. It reminded him he had more family out there.
"But until then tell them their uncle is going to play his hardest for them, and try to win a gold medal!"

"I don't want to jinx it Tjörvi but...a gold medal. Can you believe it?"
The idea that her little brother who'd launch footballs at their fireplace all of those years ago could win a gold medal for their country, after all that happened. She wished she was there to squeeze him tight.

"I can't even think about that. I just need to focus on the game" Tjörvi chuckled.
"I'd drive myself crazy if I thought of anything else."

"Well you better bring it down here when you visit if you win! Mariette will never forgive you if you leave it back in Prydania!"

"I wouldn't dare disappoint the future star of the Santonian women's team!" Tjörvi chuckled. Ásthildur laughed too, before she nodded.

"How is Aunt Anselma doing?" she asked.

"She's good. We talked earlier. She's promising to fill me full of pork if we win!"

"Well she better. You're looking too skinny!"

"Oh come on! I'm an athlete!"

"And I don't want my athlete litli bróðir snapping in half every time someone tussles for the ball with him!" Ásthildur teased.

"Yeah sis, I get you. I'll try to get as much candy in me as I can so the Skandans can't break me in two!" Ásthildur laughed again before she smiled.

"Good luck Tjörvi. Don't worry about making anyone proud. We are already."

"Thank you sis" he replied, feeling his heart flutter.
"Tell the litlu börnin their uncle misses them!"

"Of course. Love you Tjörvi."

"Love you too Ásthi."

Tjörvi sat the phone down and smiled. He just relaxed for a moment before he switched on tv. Röskvi and Eyjólfur weren't going to be back for a while, so he might as well try to find something interesting on Syrixian television.

Last edited:
p61oEaB.png

Prydanian Men's Basketball to Face Epiphani and Jordanus in Gold Medal Game
by Steinfinnur Sogard

Býkonsviði- Michelius Jordanus looms larger than the sport of basketball. The Epiphani star towers over the game. If not physically then in terms of sheer domination on the court. The sheer determination to win. The drive to excel. Jordanus just does what he wants and everyone is powerless to stop him.
And that is the impossible task the Prydanian men's basketball team is charged with.

Prydania defeated Maloria-Kanada 86-73 to advance to the Gold Medal game, whereas the Epiphani defeated the host team Syrixia 101-90. The two wins tell it all. Kveldúlfur Ljós, the star of the Prydanian team, put up an efficient 34 points in the Prydanian victory. Jordanus- on an Epiphani team comprised of some of the best basketball players in the world- put up 47. On one hand, the technical skill of a Prydanian squad whose centrepiece is merely the focus of a team game. On the other, a dominant superstar who bends the game to its will.

So Prydania just has to shut down Jordanus. Sure. Easier said then done. Why don't you try soaking up the Northern Sea with a sponge while you're at it? Let's say it were possible though. That Prydanian coach Neisti Nordrum figured out the right scheme to neutralize Jordanus. Now you need to contend with Carolus Barklus. The whole Epiphani team is stacked.

Of course this doesn't mean Prydania is without hope. Kveldúlfur Ljós leads a squad that plays proficient team ball. Fundamentals executed flawlessly. I suppose that's a plus to having a coach who used to be a royalist sergeant in the Civil War. Nordrum knows squad discipline.

The big question will be Ljós vs Jordanus. Jordanus is the more dominant player, but Ljós' game doesn't mean he'll necessarily seek out a one on one confrontation. Their rivalry will be microcosmic of the game as a whole. Dominance through talent vs fundamental ball. It is an intriguing, if likely painful, prospect.

Last edited:
Kveldúlfur Ljós sat in a nearly empty room. The lights were out save for the light of the projector. The image of Michelius Jordanus dissecting the Syrixian team flashed before his blue-grey eyes. He sat back in his chair, one of many empty chairs in the film room. His coach, Neisti Nordrum, leaned against the wall in the corner. He'd called Kveli here alone on purpose. Team film sessions were one thing, but he needed his shooting guard to see his opposite number. The greatest of all time. And see how Kevli would respond.

"What do you think?" Neisti asked, adjusting his glasses.

"I think..." Kveli's heart beat hard. He wasn't one to quit, but he'd never seen a player dominate like Michaelius did. It was something else.
"I don't know what to think. I guess I just have to go out there and play."

"You're scared."

"What? No!"

"I led men in war, Kveli. And basketball isn't war. I know 'scared' when I see it."

"I'm not scared" Kveli insisted.
"Juts...at a loss. I don't know what I'm going to do about that" he said, pointing at the game film.

"I could tell you..." Neisti replied, "...to play your game. Stick to the plan. That wouldn't work though" he shook his head.

"It wouldn't?" Kveli asked, sounding shocked.

"You should do those things" Neisti laughed, "but that's not what you need to hear to go one on one with the greatest of all time." He pulled a chair up and sat it across the table from Kveli.
"What you need to know is that the secret is not being intimidated by him."

"You say that like it's easy. He's turning the Syrixian team into a bunch of scrubs!"

"No, you misunderstand me. Michaelius Jordanus is a great player. He is a dominant player. You should never forget that or try to minimize that in your head. You know what though? If you lean against him, he has to lean back. If you manage to confuse him with footwork you can go around him. If tussle with him in the paint he can be knocked around. Or to put it poetically? You can prove that God can bleed. Everyone else is in awe of him. You though, you need to stand side by side with him. Respect him, sure, but don't be afraid. Don't be in awe. Just play basketball against him as if he were anyone else. As good as he is, he will have to react to you like everyone else. So many players back down to him before the first tip-off. Prove to him that if he wants you to back down he'll have to make you do it, on the court."

Kveli nodded, watching the player he'd have to try and contain on the projection.

"Now get ready" Neisti said with a nod.
"The guys will be here soon. We need to get to practising. We need to be ready."

"Giants don't slay themselves" Kveli replied with a slight smile.

"No they don't. Now get out there. Practice with your slingshot so we can pull it off."

"Right" Kveli replied, grabbing his water bottle. His talk with his coach had energized him and he was eager to it.

EJF5Q0J.png

Diablesses Rouges play for gold

22 July 2020

PATALIPUTRA – after trouncing Xentherida 0-2 in the semifinal game yesterday, the Santonian women's football team move to the medal round, where they will play for the gold medal. This is the only announced team sport where Saintonge will have a shot at a medal.

Although football queen Marie-Reine Potel supplied both of Saintonge's goals, the game with Xentherida marked a difference in how the Red Devils play. Previously, Queen Potel's goals rely on passes from set piece attacks from captain Tatiana Godina-Goff or her Stade de Saintes teammate Finnlaug Haarstad. Yesterday's game showed how the team had gelled and their play had become more fluid. The first Potel goal at the 27th minute was from a header from Gabriella Chadeneau, which probably caught the Xentheridans by surprise, as Chadeneau tended to pass to her Côme FC teammate Julienne-Avelline Baronne de Capoue. Later in 76th minute, Potel converted a Delphine-Ève Corroller crosser into another goal. Other Santonian attacks also were not typical: Florence de Lavicomterie's attempted goal in the 67th minute came off a Haarstad pass. These new combinations will likely give the subsequent opponent more difficulty in trying to predict where the next Santonian attack will be coming from.

The Diablesses Rouges will be playing Highton in the final round. The winner will gain the gold medal and the loser will gain the silver.

The Epiphani team was calm and collected. They came with the goal to win, and win they had. Michelus had put up 47 points in his last game, in the post game interview when asked about the game he said:
“I was thinking about the cigar I had waiting for me the entire second half!”

Carolus Barklus was asked what he thought about the Prydanian team:
I don’t know anything about Prydania, but Prydania is in trouble!”

The team leaders Birdus and Jonsonum only answered said:

“We’ve got a guy that can fly, they’ve got a bunch of blondes. Tell me who you think is going to win.”

The Imperial capitol was in a frenzy, Basketball and Epiphani football are the sports that shut down the nation and now the citizens have seen their boys go and beat the best in the world over and over again. The Imperator went on the air to congratulate the basketball team, Augustus also looked into the camera and said:

“King Toby, as a show of good faith I would like to go and watch the game with you. How about a wager also, if my boys win you wear an Epiphani jersey for the day, and if your boys win I’ll wear a Prydanian jersey? Just something to lighten the mood.”

EJF5Q0J.png

Slay, Queen!

22 July 2020

SAINTES – Twitcher and Facegram lit up yesterday with the hashtag #SlayQueen, not because of another contestant in Drag Race de Roux Paul (which popularised the phrase, often given as a positive affirmation to a good looking person who is well-dressed, has a face full of impeccable makeup and whose hair looks good.). It was not because of fashion, but because of the Santonian women's football team defeating Xentherida. Saintonge's two goals were both courtesy of the "queen" of Santonian football, Marie-Reine Potel.

The original twitch, made after Potel's 76th minute goal, went viral and was even retwitched by Roux Paul herself:

DDWbJc7.png
Marissa Cointreau @cointreau_marissa 1d
K61eTf7.png

Gooooooooaaaaaaaaal!
8CaG3Qd.png
YAS SLAY, QUEEN!

#SlayQueen #DiablessesRouges #Odinspyl2020 #Saintonge

68.4K Retwitches • 351.8K Likes

Fr332mY.png

Dq2b8wn.png
Amandine Cohade @AmandineCohade 21h
K61eTf7.png

Queen Potel #SlayQueen did indeed slay it! Two amazing goals! With the kind of game the Red Devils are showing, I'm sure they'll win the gold! If they don't, it will be because of a Durbanese referee!

#ViveLesDiablessesRouges #DiablessesRouges #Odinspyl2020 #Saintonge

10.8K Retwitches • 46.1K Likes

Fr332mY.png

OSxYbvx.png
K61eTf7.png

Queen Potel did not need a guillotine to slay! All she needed was a football!

#SlayQueen #DiablessesRouges #Odinspyl2020 #Saintonge

3.5K Retwitches • 11.1K Likes

Fr332mY.png

KT2hFBw.png
Justin-Marius Delabat @jm_delabat 20h
K61eTf7.png

The Queen dominated the field and her opponents. I'm sure that with the style of play our ladies have shown, Highton be trembling right now!
#SlayQueen #DiablessesRouges #Odinspyl2020

7.2K Retwitches • 29.1K Likes

Fr332mY.png

Speaking of domination, even players from other sports chimed in. Tobias Syndergaard, Santonian chess player:

UgD11wO.png
Tobias Syndergaard
DytDBZP.png
F3ZOb10.png
@TobySyndie 21h

K61eTf7.png

In chess, the queen is the most powerful piece, able to dominate most the board. I learnt today that it's the same for football too! #SlayQueen #Odinspyl2020 #ViveLesDiablessesRouges

3.8K Retwitches • 18.5K Likes

Fr332mY.png

And of course, cue in the men's football team members:

NPPlsQF.png
Alain-Raphaël Taillefer
8CaG3Qd.png
@RaphTaillefer 23h

K61eTf7.png

We are grateful that our merciful queen @reinepotel chose to slay Xentherida rather than us. Please slay Highton next and avenge us!
54FAR1q.png

#SlayQueen #ViveLesDiablessesRouges #Odinspyl2020

1.8K Retwitches • 9.9K Likes

Fr332mY.png

Last edited:
Odinspyl Pataliputra 2020 Day 17 Results

Basketball (Men) - Finals

Prydania 102-102 Epiphani (118-121 3OT)
Syrixia 86-90 Malor-Kanada

Gold: Epiphani
Silver: Prydania
Bronze: Malor-Kanada

p61oEaB.png

Prydania, Ljós Falls Short to Epiphani, Jordanus in Gold Medal Game
by Steinfinnur Sogard

Býkonsviði- Michelius Jordanus and Carolus Barklus managed to best Kveldúlfur Ljós and Jómundur Aaker in the Men's basketball Gold Medal game, but it took an awfully long time to do it.
Jordanus and Barklus faced the challenge of backing up their tough words against a Prydanian team that had gone overlooked, amassing just as impressive a tournament without the bluster and headlines. The game was to be a look into two conflicting styles. Sheer dominance versus fundamental precision. The game itself went back and forth, with neither team able to blow it away. Just when you thought one team would pull away the other would storm back in their own way.
Ljós vs Jordanus proved an interesting encounter. Ljós played the superstar physically without drifting into aggressive territory and seemed determined to not get drawn into Jordanus' game. Ljós remained focused on team ball, refusing the urge to go one on one with the GOAT if it didn't suit the Prydanian game plan.
Jordanus likewise refused to get drawn into a technical chess match. Ljós would stonewall him on one Epiphani offensive drive, and Jordanus would come right back the next time to bury the ball.

The result? A 102-102 tie at the end of regulation, secured by a Ljós jumpshot over an out of position Jordanus. To some it was a sign that the intensity of the Epiphani team had drained them. That the Prydanians would be able to walk away with the game in the overtime period. Not to be the case. It took three OT periods before a winner could be decided. The Prydanian OT bench was a sight of coach Neisti Nordrum running through the playbook. Emphasizing placement and and timing. The Epiphani bench was full of superstars contemplating that this game against a bunch of "blonds" wasn't as easy as perhaps they thought it would be.

Jordanus ended up the hero, making amends for the rare slip that had allowed Prydania to send the game to OT. He nailed a three pointer over Ljós with 0:02 seconds left in the third OT period, to make the score 121-118 Epiphani. That was the final as a late game Hail Mary from Jómundur Aaker couldn't equalize things.

There was also a story in the stands. His Majesty joined Emperor Augustus in a suite to watch the game. Cameras caught them exchanging friendly conversation. His Majesty announced on Twitcher that he would honour the bet made with Emperor Augustus. He'd be wearing an Epiphani basketball jersey for all of tomorrow, but made sure to point out that he'd have it off in time to attend the men's football Gold Medal game when Prydania takes on Skanda.

Last edited:
We come from the land of the ice and snow

Peter Bach slipped on his green clash jersey, sitting on the bench in the locker room. He stared straight ahead and clenched his hands as he breathed deep.

From the midnight sun, where the hot springs flow

Jakob Höj was marching back and down the locker room despite his war injury.

"There are no more words other than to say...I'm proud of you all. This team was on the verge of going home, and you beat the World Champions. The World champions. That was you boys. And then you beat Saintonge. One of the best teams in the world. You beat two titans. On the verge of elimination and you beat two titans. You know why you did it? You're the sons of vikings. Sons of Heorot...

The hammer of the gods

Kurt Mörch ran his hands through his hair, securing his headband in place. He rolled his head, stretching his neck.

W'ell drive our ships to new lands

"...'Despite our weariness we follow the road' that's what our ancestors did. It's what we did. And it's what you've all done here. So these Skandans, they beat us in 2019. Some of you were there. And they beat us in this tournament. So...

To fight the horde, and sing and cry

Tjörvi Hagtvedt let his head hang as he listened to his coach, his light brown hair obscuring his grey eyes. His heart was keeping steady but he could feel it ready to race...

Valhalla, I am coming!

show 'em what happens when you piss off a viking and play the best damn football of your lives!"

Peter Back stood, looking around. He was nervous as hell. He was only twenty one, but that made him a leader to this team of mostly eighteen and nineteen year olds. Still, he looked at his coach for a moment and then back to his team.

"Let's go!" he cried out leading them out from the locker room.

EJF5Q0J.png

Focus on women’s football

Vies Sportives (Blog)
by Anne-Victoire Sorbon-Lamirault

The Santonian Women’s Football Team is heading to the gold medal game in the 2020 Odinspyl Games, in contrast to the Men’s Team which was eliminated in the quarterfinals. This left the Diablesses Rouges the country’s only hope for a medal in the announced team sports.

This is not to bring down the Diables Rouges. The men’s team had done well despite the bad cards they’d been dealt with. The women’s team, they’ve done even better.

Observers might conclude that women’s football is well and vibrant in Saintonge. They are not wrong - Saintonge has one of the larger and better women’s football league systems in the world. However, underneath that is a discrepancy: compared to the men’s football leagues, the women’s football leagues are plagued with poor attendance and viewership, a dearth of clubs, and small prize monies.

Saintonge has always prided itself in being a trailbrazer for gender equality. In many facets, it is. One of the landmark laws is the much-maligned Loi Bazille, the 2007 law passed by the National government mandating equal pay for both male and female players. Before 2007, sportswomen were paid less than sportsmen across most sports. (The notable exceptions are volleyball and gymnastics, traditionally seen as women’s sports in Saintonge.) Many people blame Loi Bazille for stymieing men’s sports and forcing women’s clubs to close.

Because of the equal pay mandate, it amounted to a cap on the pay for male players - essentially the pay the clubs were willing to lavish on their female players. Opponents of the law say that Santonian male players would instead go abroad to higher-paying clubs and countries – causing a talent drain in Saintonge.

Opponents of Loi Bazille also point out to a consequence of the law: "closure" of women’s teams. Because it became more expensive to pay female players, it also became more expensive to run women’s professional clubs, forcing many to close. In football, for instance, Saintonge had 307 professional and semi-professional women’s teams in 2006. In 2020, that number is 144. The latest, most high-profile club to close its women’s team is FC Bellegarde, which plays in the third-tier of the Santonian football system. FC Bellegarde’s president stated in 2019 that “running a women’s team is very much a strain in the club's finances.” Despite the worrying number of "closures", many of the clubs did not really disband their women’s football teams; the clubs merely made them purely non-professional (amateur) clubs, which are exempted from Loi Bazille. But amateur clubs are could not advance further in the Santonian women’s football system, which decreases the opportunities for women and girl footballers in Saintonge.

Of the remaining twelve dozen clubs still having professional women’s teams, almost four-fifths are running the women’s teams at a loss, according to a 2019 survey by the Fédération saintongeaise de football (FSF). Many of them, such as AS Gresible, Olympique Niortais, and Creusenac SC, and even top-tier clubs such as Odinspylique de Ratisbonne, subsidise their women’s football teams via the profit they get from men’s football teams. Although Santonian professional sports teams are mostly community-owned and not-for-profit, neither could they operate at a loss.

The remaining clubs, such as AJST Coire and Stade de Saintes, usually break even. Even if they do profit, the money from women's football is not as eye-watering as men’s football. For instance, Stade de Saintes made ₤30 million from its men’s team, but only ₤850,000 from its women’s team. All of these unintended consequences led to its opponents to push for a repeal of Loi Bazille.

Such criticisms are shortsighted. The equal pay mandate did not see a skill drain of players to other countries: from 2010-2019, there were only 20 high-level transfers abroad worth more ₤2 million, mostly to higher-paying teams and markets like in Ulstome. That is hardly an exodus of Mosaic proportions that the law's opponents had tried to paint.

As for the closure of women’s teams because the equal pay mandate rendering many women’s clubs financially insolvent, that is not enough of a reason to repeal Loi Bazille. If many industries and services can pay their workers without regard to gender, why can’t sports?

It is time to look past Loi Bazille as the cause. Its unintended consequences, is in fact, a symptom of a problem in women’s sports in general. Why are the revenues of women’s teams not at par with the men’s teams? Here are the other hints of symptoms: poor attendance and viewership, and small prize monies. These would translate to fewer interested sponsors, leading to lower revenue for the women’s clubs.

The root cause is the lack of interest in women’s sports. If Saintonge, its government and its people, increase interest in women’s sports, attendance and viewership will increase. This will attract more sponsors, increase the prize monies, which could eventually make women’s team sports financially viable again.

The Diablesses Rouges’ success in the Odinspyl hopefully will spark more interest in women’s football and women’s sports in general. The government may throw subsidies at women’s teams, but grass-roots, organic support for women’s sports will make the change more durable and long-lasting. And indeed for this, Vive les Diablesses Rouges!

Last edited:
mHAls1l.png

HIGHTON AWAITS
s

Serci has been the breakout revelation of the Odinspyl tournament
Vincent Küpfer –– 24 July 2020

PATALIPUTRA, SYRIXIA –– Highton’s women’s national team will line up tonight for the gold medal in the Odinspyl tournament for football against Saintonge. Les Diablesses Rouges were heavy favorites coming into the tournament and have showed their dominance throughout the tournament, destroying Xentherida in the semifinal this week. Highton fielded a very young team for this tournament with the intention of securing big game experience. Constanze Serci, who with 5 goals is the tournament’s leader, is emerging as a global superstar for women’s football and remarkably at the age of 17 has taken the tournament by storm. Serci’s goal against Norsos in the semifinal helped drag the Blau Kokos past the resilient Norsians. Adeline Petasumo has also been a key contributor in the midfield with three assists.

Saintonge’s main threats will likely be their key players Marie-Reine Potel and Julienne-Avelline Baronne de la Capoue. Saintonge’s attacking line have blitzed their opponents so far in this tournament, and the Hightonian defensive line will have to work hard to prevent them from running riot in the final. The inexperienced Hightonians have shown at many times throughout the tournament that there is much work to be done. The Hightonians have shown many cracks such as their loss to New Aleman in the first round and merely scraping past Norsos in the semis. But on a final day, anything is possible, the the underdog Hightonians can still dream of bringing home the gold.

“We want to make Highton proud. That’s been our goal this whole tournament. We’ve come further than most people have expected and now we want to take the final step and give everything out on the field tonight.”

Saintonge vs Highton will be aired on ZHF tonight at 19:30 HST.

Odinspyl Pataliputra 2020 Day 18 Results

Handball (Women) - Finals

New Aleman 19-29 Highton
Essalanea 27-28 Mintoria

Gold: Highton
Silver: New Aleman
Bronze: Mintoria

Soccer (Women) - Finals

Saintonge 0-0 Highton (2-1 AET)
Xentherida 0-1 Norsos

Gold: Saintonge
Silver: Highton
Bronze: Norsos

Tennis (Mens Singles]

Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_23.07.19.png
Silver: Saintonge
Bronze: Ponterre

Tennis (Mens Doubles)

Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_23.25.43.png
Silver: Syrixia
Bronze: Demescia

Tennis (Womens Singles)

Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_23.16.38.png
Gold: Andrenne
Silver: Peuportîle
Bronze: Highton

Tennis (Womens Doubles)

Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_23.33.22.png
Gold: Lawston
Silver: Zhen
Bronze: Saintogne

Tennis (Mixed Doubles)

Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_23.40.14.png
Gold: Syrixia
Silver: Ponterre
Bronze: Demescia

Volleyball (Men)

Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_23.56.23.png
Silver: Merilia
Bronze: Hessunland

Volleyball (Women)

Screen_Shot_2020-07-25_at_00.00.58.png
Silver: Merilia
Bronze: Yakuvony

Last edited:
Odinspyl Pataliputra 2020 Day 19 Results

Handball (Men) - Finals

Highton 27-24 Goyanes
Norsos 26-23 Hessunland

Silver: Goyanes
Bronze: Norsos

Soccer (Men) - Finals

Prydania 3-0 Skanda
Demescia 1-4 Highton

Gold: Prydania
Silver: Skanda
Bronze: Highton

Coire, Saintonge

Four year old Mariette-Renée Beauvais cheered excitedly as the ref's final whistle ended the 2020 Odinspyl's men's football gold medal game. She was wearing a youth sized Prydanian jersey of her uncle, Tjörvi Hagtvedt. Her mother had ordered it, praying that it would get here in time. She was relieved when it did, on the afternoon of the final game. It was, as it turned out a good omen!
Mariette watched the Santonian women win gold, and she got to follow that by watching her uncle win a gold for his country.

"Uncle Tjörvi!" she screamed excitedly seeing her uncle get his gold medal during the post-game ceremony as the Prydanian anthem played.

"That's right!" her mother Ásthildur said, smiling. Prydania had won 3-0. They had gone up 2-0 by the middle of the second half, allowing the Beauvais residence (and every Prydanian watching the world over) to relax a little. The Beauvais family, having watched a tense women's gold medal game, enjoyed the less tense action. And it had given Ásthildur time to reflect.
"That's right, that's your uncle!" she said to her daughter.
"And you got to see him win the first world championship for Prydania, since..." she let her voice trail off.

"Since when mommy?" her daughter asked.

"I'll tell you when you're older, but this is very important for your uncle!"

Ásthildur looked over her husband Léopold-Christophe. He was holding their one year old son Christian-Arnaud who was too young to fully appreciate what he was seeing, yet seemed to be enjoying himself.

Léopold smiled back at his wife, noticing tears in her eyes. He knew what his wife had been through, but knowing and living it were two different things. He'd always given her space on the matter, and it always got to him when he saw how she'd get. She was trying not to cry in front of their ecstatic daughter who didn't know just how much this meant to her mother. Or indeed, her mother's home country.
"Hey Mariette come over here will you?" he said to his daughter, to give his wife just a bit of space.
"Look at you! In your uncle's jersey. But it's the red one! We'll have to get you the green one he won in!"

Mariette smiled wide and Léopold held out his hand.
"Hey show me how you're going to high five Uncle Tjörvi when you see him!"
His daughter gave him a spirited high five and he grinned at his wife who gave him a soft smile.

Ásthildur watched the Prydanian team celebrate on the field, watching her younger brother hug his teammates and his coach. She held her hands to her face, crying softly. She had no idea if Tjörvi was alive at one point. To go from that, to seeing him win a gold medal for her home...it was almost surreal. To see the Prydanian flag raised to the first place position, to hear the anthem....it was overwhelming. Little Tjörvi. If only mother could see it now. She wouldn't mind the bent grate on the fireplace from all the balls he'd kick into it!

Léopold had tried to keep Mariette's attention but eventually the girl turned to her mother.
"What's wrong mommy?" she asked, seeing her mother crying.
"Uncle Tjörvi won!"

"Yeah" Ásthildur replied with a smile.
"I'm just very happy..." she paused. She wasn't going to explain the War or her own hardships to her four year old daughter. So she just nodded.
"I'm just very happy and proud of my brother. You'll understand when you're older."

Mariette nodded, not fully understanding, but also getting enough to understand her mother wasn't hurt or sad. The memories of what had happened spurred Ásthildur to kiss her daughter on the top of her head. The ones you loved- you needed to treasure them.

"Can we call Uncle Tjörvi?" Mariette asked.

"Oh sweetie, look" she pointed to the tv. The Prydanian team had received their medals and had shaken hands with their Skandan opponents before heading back into the player tunnel.
"He's going to be with his team. We'll call him tomorrow when he's done celebrating, ok?"

"Ok" her daughter replied sounding just a bit disappointed.

It was then the phone rang and Ásthildur nearly jumped out of her skin. There was no way....and no, it wasn't Tjörvi. It was a Prydanian number, and one Ásthildur recognized.

"Aunt Anselma!" she replied with a smile before switching to Prydanian. Léopold smiled too. He'd actually learnt a fair bit of Prydanian. He wanted to be part of his wife's "world" as it were.

"Yes...yes we're all celebrating here! I'm so proud of him too...well you should come down! You should meet your great niece and nephew!"
She nodded, listening to her aunt.
"Well you should get on Twitcher! You can see all the pictures....have Tjörvi set it up for you!....gold medal or not, he should be a good boy and help his aunt!...It's so good to talk to you Aunt Anselma...I love you too...all the love....goodnight."

"So Anselma might come down?" Léopold asked.

"You picked that up?"

"Yeah, I think so!"

"Your Prydansk is getting better!"

"The Idiot's Guide helped then!" Léopold chuckled before looking around.
"Bedtime?"

"Yes, definitely" Ásthildur replied, despite Mariette's protests.
"You got to see two great football matches today, young lady. Now come on, off to bed we go."

Christian was set to bed easily enough, but Mariette was a process. She refused to take off her jersey, and her parents eventually capitulated. And then she apparently wanted to talk.

"Will Uncle Tjörvi come visit soon?"

"Yeah, I think so" Léopold replied.

"Will he bring his gold medal?!"

"He better" Ásthildur replied, chuckling.
"I'll never let him live it down if he forgets it!"

"Next year I can play football too!" she said excitedly. Five was, indeed, the minimum age for children to play football.
"And I'm going to be as good as he is! And win a gold medal too!"

"I'm sure you will" Léopold chuckled, kissing his daughter on the forehead.
"But gold medal winners need their sleep!"

Léopold held Ásthildur as they left their daughter's room, heading towards their own. She rested her head on his shoulder.
"It's been a day" she chuckled.

"Oh yeah" Léopold replied.
"Hey...you sure you're ok?"

"Yeah" Ásthildur nodded.
"Just a lot of memories."

"Þrátt fyrir þreytu fylgjumst við veginn" Léopold replied, seeming very impressed with himself that he got the saying in Prydanian right. Ásthildur was too and laughed.
"The Idiot's Guide really did help! But yes...that's right."

"Then let's get to bed because we're both very weary."

"Of course mon amour" she replied, lovingly nuzzling against her husband's embrace.

Last edited:
Tobias had spent most of the game pointing down at the field and explaining the ins and outs of strategy to Alycia. He'd had to explain at three offsides calls to her.

"Offsides in football doesn't seem to make much sense" she smirked to him, to which Tobias just chuckled. Prydania was a hockey first nation, and hockey and football had two very different conceptions of what offsides were. He was used to hearing people say they didn't get the football version.

His explanations were interrupted twice, by ecstatic cheering, even high fiving the Knights of the Storm and White Guardsmen who were there on security detail. The third goal, coming in the middle of the second half, was more a relief than a cause for celebration.

"We're going to win" he said, barely able to contain his excitement.

"Are you sure?" Alycia asked skeptically.

"No love, you don't understand. Goals in football are very rare. Most games end 1-0 or 2-1...a three goal lead is pretty much it this late."

"I can't believe it...we're going to do it" he said again. This time it was Alycia's turn to chuckle.
"What?" Tobias asked with a bit of a blush.

"It's really cute, seeing you like this."

"I just never thought..." he smiled.
"It's just nice to see" he finished as he held his pregnant wife's hand.

Truth was sport was not going to rebuild a country. Sport did not rehabilitate burnt or neglected farmland. Sport did not build roads or schools or hospitals. Sport did not feed the hungry.
And yet it was still important. A defiant Prydanian cry that they were not beaten and that they would fight as hard as they could against anything.

"I'll be heading back to the embassy darling" Alycia said after the game had ended.
"I think it's best if I slept early" she chuckled.

Tobias placed a hand on her belly and nodded.
"I won't be long, I just want to visit the team."

"I'll ensure Her Grace makes it back in one piece Your Majesty" Colart replied, eliciting a playful glance from Alycia.

"Yes what would I do without you?"

Tobias just chuckled before giving his wife a kiss before she left with the White Guardsmen. The Knights of the Storm remained though, to escort Tobias down to the Prydanian team's locker room.

"Hey!" Jakob Höj announced to the team as they were settling back into the locker room.
"The King is coming!"

Everyone on the team knew that this would happen if they won (or perhaps even if they lost) but each and every one of them got a nervous look on their faces now that it was happening.

The door opened soon after and in came a blue uniformed Knight of the Storm, holding the door opened for the King of Prydania.

Tobias entered the locker room, looking around at the young men he saw before him.
Young men who were born at the start of the Civil War. Who didn't even have his faded childhood memories of a peaceful time before that.

"Coach Höj" he said as he stuck out his hand. Jakob smiled back, shaking the King's hand.

"You're Majesty. Glad to have you here under better circumstances then last time" he laughed.

"2017, yeah" Tobias replied.
"Peter, Kurt" he remarked.
"You two are the only ones who were there for that."

"Yeah...I mean yes Your Majesty" Peter replied.

"Well...three years huh..." he blushed a bit at he struggled for find words to say before he thought clearly.
"Thank you all for your hard work, your dedication to your craft. You've made every Prydanian proud of you. I know you've heard that before but it's true. And it needs to be said. We're all proud of what you've done. What you've proven our country can do. So I thank you all, from the bottom of my heart as a Prydanian. And..." he smiled, "...as a football fan."

Tobias shook Jakob and Peter's hands again and made his way out of the stadium, to the limousine that would return him to the embassy and his wife. Pataliputra was still too hot for his liking, and still too bright. Even just after sunset. And he just wanted to get back to Alycia after the excitement of the game.

OOC note: Alycia and Colart are RP characters belonging to @Zyvun

Last edited:
Back