Minister's Desk

moc_seal.png

March Update for the Ministry of Communications
01 - 03 - 2020

Good Evening and Good Morning to wherever you hail from. It is my pleasure to have been appointed as Minister of Communication by McMasterdonia to finish out the term. I shall keep this rather short and provide an update on the current standing of the Ministry of Communications. First off, I have posted a role call for all members of the Ministry of Communications. This roll call can be found here. No response will indicate that you no longer wish to remain a part of the ministry, and you will be required to reapply for this ministry. Secondly, I will be keeping my existing deputies of @Angshire and @Bobberino. They have already been hard at work assisting me, and I am not going to ask that you retake your oaths. Finally, I want to acknowledge that the Ministry is currently behind in its publications. Communication Leadership is currently working on establishing a timeline for the Ministry to catch up on past due work and maintain our schedule on the remaining publications for this term.

Current Status:
  1. The Northern Star
    1. The Northern Star XVI (Originally Due 31/01/2020) - 1 Article Edited and ready, 2 Articles pending editing, 1 Article pending submission, 1 article scrapped for publication​
    2. The Northern Star XVII (Originally Due 29/02/2020) - All articles unclaimed​
    3. The Northern Start XVIII (Scheduled for 31/03/2020) - All articles unclaimed​
  2. The Northern Lights
    1. The Northern Lights Issue 31 - Several articles pending editing, Several Articles pending submission

I will provide another update on the status of the Ministry at the end of this month. Thank you, and if you are interested in assisting with the Ministry of Communications, please apply for the Ministry. We are always looking for more writers and editors. We have a lot of work on our plate, and we will need all the help we can get to get back on schedule for the remainder of the term.

Last edited by a moderator:

Announcement from the Minister
27 May, 2020

Following discussions among senior members of the ministry, we have decided to make some changes to the structures of our publications, The North Star and The Northern Lights.

The North Star will continue to be published monthly, with the same articles featured. However, we will also explore publishing articles under The North Star banner outside the monthly issues, covering TNP-related events in real time. Articles first published outside the monthly issues will also be re-published within the monthly issues, for ease of viewing.

The Northern Lights will continue to publish the same style of articles as before. However, we will no longer be pursuing a single theme for each issue, as it has proven difficult to ensure authors finish their articles. Instead, we will be focusing on the many article ideas already provided in the TNL Article Ideas thread (this is only visible to Communications staff, so if you want to see it, apply to join now!).

To Communications staff, I urge you to check out the thread. If any of those ideas interest you, you can post in this thread to indicate that you are either writing an article or are interested in writing one. Of course, you can also contribute more ideas to the ideas thread, if that's what you prefer. Please contact me if you have any questions or are unsure about anything.

If you're not a Communications staff, and any of the above sounds interesting to you, then please apply to join now!

Sincerely,
Minister Gorundu

May I make suggestion?

I am going to tell you anyway. So, if the other articles under the TNS banner are going to be in an argumentative form, they can be written in a pamphlet form instead? I think it might be a refreshing change from the usual style and forces concision and consistency.

May I make suggestion?

I am going to tell you anyway. So, if the other articles under the TNS banner are going to be in an argumentative form, they can be written in a pamphlet form instead? I think it might be a refreshing change from the usual style and forces concision and consistency.
Argumentative pieces will still be published in The Northern Lights, not The North Star. TNS articles, whether published in the monthly issue or not, will be news and reporting focussed. Also, pamphlets give the impression of an advertisement rather than a considered piece of writing, and that's not the effect we are trying to achieve.

moc_seal.png

Monthly Report - September

Hello everyone!

September was a busy month for Communications, so let's jump right in!

Publications

We published issues of both The Northern Lights and The North Star this month. We were on time for publishing The Northern Lights, and 2 days late publishing The North Star. While we still have a ways to go, I now feel confident that our publishing pace is viable.

@Cretox State, in the first week of the term, offered to help me put together a The Northern Lights issue using essays from the World Assembly Symposium in August. The issue featured four essays from the symposium, with summaries of each kindly provided by the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs. This was a great chance for me to get familiar with LucidPress, which is the program we use to format TNL issues. I am grateful for the opportunity Cretox and the MoWAA gave Communications to start strong in the term with a good issue of TNL.

Deputies

Over the past month, it has become apparent that we will need more help in Communications leadership. While Bobberino’s contributions have been invaluable, it is obvious that more than two people are needed to format publications and strategize about the future of the Ministry. So, it is with great pleasure that I appoint @Arichia and @Gorundu to be Deputies. They should take their oaths, and I look forward to working with them!

Standalone News Articles

This week, we published a news article relating to updates in the delegate transition. We would like to produce more of these standalone articles. Going into this month, we will be exploring ways to make this happen, and I will report on our progress in next month’s report.

I appreciate all the work that Communications staffers have done this month, and I look forward to a productive October!

BMWSurfer
Minister of Communications

moc_seal.png

January 2021 Report

Citizens,

After a busy holiday season, Communications has had a relatively quiet January. This month, we expect things to get busier as we implement our new publication, Polaris, and phase out The Northern Lights.

Administrative Tasks
@Rocketdog , @El Fiji Grande, and @Nimarya have been appointed as Senior Communications Staff.

Key Projects Completed
We have completed and published the final issue of The North Star. Thank you to everyone who contributed to this issue!

Projects Partially Completed:
We are still working with @mcmasterdonia and Foreign Affairs on the Regional Development issue of The Northern Lights. We are hoping to have it completed sometime during the first week of March.

Projects for the next month
This month, we will be focusing heavily on producing Polaris articles and refining our formatting and editing process. We are also in the early planning stages of a potential Cards Symposium themed issue of TNL, which we will be working on this month for a March release.

I would like to thank Communications staff for their hard work and dedication, especially while we transition into a new publication. I am looking forward to a successful month!

BMWSurfer
Minister of Communications

Last edited:

moc_seal.png

February 2021 Report
Citizens,

While this month may have appeared relatively slow, Communications spent February laying the groundwork for the publishing of Polaris. I am proud to say that we have 5 Polaris articles in various stages of drafting right now, and anticipate plenty more throughout this month.

Administrative Tasks
Starting immediately, Google Docs links to article drafts will be posted in the #private-workroom channel on the Executive Staff discord.

Key Projects Completed
We completed the following projects:
  1. The establishment of Polaris, including formatting
  2. The first Polaris article, a World Assembly Digest for February
  3. A recruitment drive, which resulted in several new authors joining Communications.

Projects Partially Completed:
  1. We have 5 Polaris articles in the works, covering topics in the NPA, Rocketdogs SC application, and a spotlight of Cretox
  2. Work has begun on a World Assembly Symposium edition of The Northern Lights
  3. Progress is still being made on the Regional Development issue of TNL
  4. Preplanning has commenced on a Culture themed issue of TNL slated for an April release

Projects for the next month
  1. The Communications forums will be renovated to make resources more easily accessible
  2. We will be reviewing the TNL text formatting to ensure quality in the publication
  3. Work on Polaris articles will continue to move forward

Thank you all for the hard work you’ve put in this month!

BMWSurfer
Ministry of Communications

moc_seal.png

July 2021 Report
Hey everyone,

2 months into the new term, the Ministry would like to give an update on the current status of the ministry, and some of the things moving forward.

1) Polaris Articles
The ministry has completed 3 Polaris articles:
  1. World Assembly Digest for May 2021 (thanks to @planes and @Boston Castle)
  2. May 2021 General Election Summary (thanks to @Gorundu)
  3. Interview with our Delegate, @Robespierre (thanks to @New Celoveniortan)
In addition, we will be working on 2 more Polaris articles:
  1. World Assembly Digest for July 2021
  2. July 2021 Judicial Election Summary

If anyone has any ideas for Polaris articles, you may proposal them here!

2) The Northern Lights
Given the relative lack of manpower, we have put this on the back burner. However, the leadership is currently in the process of generating some ideas for an upcoming TNL issue, and we will be slowly sharing it with the remainder of the ministry.

3) Removal Notices
In May, when I first published the roll call, I message every staffer on the forums, informing them that inactive personnel will be removed. While I did not do so, I have decided to take this time to remove all staffers who no longer hold at least residency status on our forums. (The namelist will be placed in here.) Going forward, I would like to establish a policy for all applicants to be Citizens, and must hold at least Residency status (with a current TNP nation) to remain in the ministry. Exceptions can, and will be given to people who appeal to the Minister, or have a good track record.

Thank you to all the staffers who have contributed in one way or another over the past 2 months!

Fregerson
Ministry of Communications

moc_seal.png

Opening Statement
January 13, 2022

To the members of The North Pacific, the staff of the Ministry of Media, and beyond. It is not a common occurrence that you get to lay the foundations of a new Ministry, especially one as near and dear to my heart.

The way we communicate is changing. Not too long ago, we were strictly forumside with a bit of Internet Relay Chat (IRC) mixed in. Now, it's quite difficult to be involved in the community without a Discord presence. While we used to get most of our content by reading long paragraphs on the forum, a lot of us are just turning to the Voice Channels and talking with each other there.

No longer can The Northern Lights be the main content of our Ministry. We must pivot to where and how our citizens communicate. The Northern Broadcast Service will be our main focus of this term and we will be providing weekly content so that there is always something fresh for you to join in and listen to live, or for you to enjoy after it has been recorded.

The Northern Lights will continue being published, albeit in a much abridged version than what was previously used by the Ministry of Communications. There will be no definite dates on publishing, though I do hope that they can be out as soon as the authors have something to write up.

Lastly, with the creation of a whole new Ministry comes new personnel to work in and lead the Ministry. In the interest of simplicity, if you were a member of either the Ministry of Radio or Communications, you should have access to our new Media forums and Discord channels.

In the absence of updated imagery, you may continue to see me using the official seal of the Ministry of Communications, and you may continue using either or both Executive Staff badges until we are able to get an updated one for the new Ministry.

In regards to Deputy Ministers, I will not be automatically reappointing the current Deputy Ministers as that would result in a surplus of leaders. Instead, I plan on appointing two people to serve in the Ministry as leaders to the respective subsections.

Firstly, the Deputy Minister of Media will assume a job similar to that of a Deputy Minister of Radio. Particularly I want someone who is engaged and ready to fire on all cylinders. We need to be pushing out content as soon as we possibly can, so being a one-person show (can you take a show through its full timeline?) is a plus.

The second person was alluded to in Madjack's campaign, and that is the Editor-in-Chief. Their singular focus will be making sure that articles are getting prepared for print and then publishing them as soon as they are able. Particularly, I want to see someone who isn't afraid to write and publish their own articles barring a lack of any alternative.

If you believe you are exactly the candidate for one of these roles, please reach out to me and tell me your favorite ice cream flavor. Bonus points if you can guess mine.

We're going to have an amazing term, and I know you'll hear my voice soon.

Thanks,

bootsie
Minister of Media

moc_seal.png

Deputy Minister Appointment
January 16, 2022

While my initial intention was to appoint two officials, one to represent the Radio subsection and one to represent the Print subsection, those in media know that sometimes plans have to change.

My intention for the Deputy Minister of Media was someone who would be willing to work to create engaging content in a timely manner, to make sure schedules were lined up, and that ideas for future shows were taken note of.

It is with this that I officially announce the appointment of @Yamantau Em as my Deputy Minister of Media.

While content creation is important, it results in nothing if we don't have anyone to record or edit the material. While I'm an excited for what my newest Deputy Minister will do, I know that we'll need someone just as focused on the sometimes thankless job of laboriously editing and recording our videos.

That is why, in addition to Em, I am happy to announce the appointment of @Vivanco as my second Deputy Minister of Media.

I'm excited to see what both of them bring to the table, and look forward to their work in the term ahead.

Congratulations to you both!

On a final note, I am still looking for an Editor-in-Chief, and have had little interest in the role. I will personally work to get some writings out when I can, but please let me know if you would like to fill the role.

Thanks,

bootsie
Minister of Media

moc_seal.png

Invaluable Member Recognition
March 14, 2022

The Ministry of Media has been hard at work the past few months, working tirelessly to schedule, host, record, edit, and publish videos for you all to enjoy.

@Yamantau Em, who has been heading up content creation, has done a stellar job in making sure that we are working to get content prepared and ready for recording.

@Vivanco, who has been working to edit and record new videos, has made sure the aforementioned videos are edited cleanly and precisely and is now working to create their own news series for NBS.

Along the way, we've been given assistance from the members of the RolePlay community, even despite them not choosing to participate in the TNP government at all.

While there currently exists no way to award these members, I think it would be an injustice to not thank them publicly so everyone knows their good deeds are not in vain.

So, to @Arc, who is now a member of the Ministry of Media, I hereby grant you the title of Honorary Host for your willingness to step into the host seat on your first show after joining the Ministry.

TGfDpeV.png

I also hereby grant @BorkWI the title of Honorary Technician for stepping in to record a show without even being a member of the government at all! Talk about initiative!

fR3Gn8t.png

To both of my Deputies, these two individuals, and every member of the Ministry of Media, thank you so much. Seriously.

Together we are making the Ministry of Media something that everyone can enjoy and I can wait to see what comes of it next.

Thanks again,

Bootsie
Minister of Media

moc_seal.png

Invaluable Member Recognition
March 14, 2022

The Ministry of Media has been hard at work the past few months, working tirelessly to schedule, host, record, edit, and publish videos for you all to enjoy.

@Yamantau Em, who has been heading up content creation, has done a stellar job in making sure that we are working to get content prepared and ready for recording.

@Vivanco, who has been working to edit and record new videos, has made sure the aforementioned videos are edited cleanly and precisely and is now working to create their own news series for NBS.

Along the way, we've been given assistance from the members of the RolePlay community, even despite them not choosing to participate in the TNP government at all.

While there currently exists no way to award these members, I think it would be an injustice to not thank them publicly so everyone knows their good deeds are not in vain.

So, to @Arc, who is now a member of the Ministry of Media, I hereby grant you the title of Honorary Host for your willingness to step into the host seat on your first show after joining the Ministry.

TGfDpeV.png

I also hereby grant @BorkWI the title of Honorary Technician for stepping in to record a show without even being a member of the government at all! Talk about initiative!

fR3Gn8t.png

To both of my Deputies, these two individuals, and every member of the Ministry of Media, thank you so much. Seriously.

Together we are making the Ministry of Media something that everyone can enjoy and I can wait to see what comes of it next.

Thanks again,

Bootsie
Minister of Media
@bootsie is it possible for you to arrange an interview with me in the NBS? Theres a TON of stuff i would like to talk about in TNP and I guarantee you it would be the best Interview in the NBS
Ill wait for your response.

I resign as Editor-in-Chief, to put an end to my shamefully inactive tenure in that post >.>

moc_seal.png

Leadership Changes
April 13, 2022

Firstly, thank you for offering to serve as Editor-in-Chief this term, @Pathoal.

While we didn't accomplish what we wanted, we have definitely learned a lot about the direction this Ministry needs to go in.

Instead of appointing another Editor-in-Chief, I am moving forward with folding all of their responsibilities into the Ministry as a whole.

We will continue to publish both voice and text media, but we will have it all in the same pipeline under myself, Em, and Vivanco.

moc_seal.png

Closing Address
May 9, 2022

In just a couple of days, voting will end in our General Elections, and no matter who wins, we will have a new Delegate.

I want to thank Madjack for his leadership during the last eight months. I was honored that you let me join you on this amazing journey as the first and potentially last Minister of Media.

While a lack of staff and technical difficulties prevented us from releasing as many videos as I would've liked, we did put out some great content.

In particular, this term we had a lot of cooperation between our staff and the Roleplay community, providing us with tons of RP Spotlights and the ability to hear some RPs as the author intended them.

Of course, while it was me at the helm of the Ministry, I couldn't have done it without my deputies and the staff as a whole. No matter who was at the mic or in the booth recording, everyone gave their all to make each show fun and unique.

Thank you again for your cooperation and dedication this term, and I hope to continue the hard work with you all next term, no matter which banner we fly under.

Sincerely,

bootsie
Minister of Media

GLORY GLORY WHAT A GLORIOUS DAY TO SERVE!

Thank you for your service, Bootsie

Back