-
-
TNP Nation
Castle in Confidence
Discord
.wonderess
Legal Code:
Section 6.4: Honorary Citizenship

1. Any member that has contributed service to The North Pacific and has ceased to be a citizen of The North Pacific has the ability to be named an honorary citizen of the region.

2. The rights of citizenship are not granted to an honorary citizen.

3. If a nation that holds honorary citizenship gains normal citizenship once again, the honorary citizenship shall be revoked immediately.

4. The Speaker of the Regional Assembly shall hold a list of honorary citizens which shall be purely ceremonial in nature.

5. A member can be awarded honorary citizenship through a motion of the Regional Assembly by which a simple majority is necessary to award the honorary citizenship.

6. Honorary citizenship may be revoked by the Regional Assembly through a motion by which a simple majority is necessary.

7. The members of The North Pacific that currently have honorary citizenship status are: r3naissanc3r.

Two sixes.

I think the idea of giving the RA the ability to hand out an honorary title to players who've substantially contributed to the region is something to consider, but I'm not sure if I see the point of limiting it to honorary citizenship where it's withdrawn if they become citizens. Why only recognize their contributions so long as they aren't citizens?

Well, I wanted to make it safely revokable so that an honorary citizen could not abuse their power. I could edit it to have honorary citizenship possibly coexist with real citizenship, but I do not want actual power to come with being given the honor.

What is the point of having a list of people when that list confers no rights, privileges, duties, or responsibilities? Just as a "Hey, thanks for the stuff you do, even though you aren't a citizen?"

Sorry, but given that this has no meaningful effect, I'm opposed to adding a new section to the legal code.

EDIT: For the record, I would also be opposed to granting rights, privileges, etc to "honorary citizens".

This legislation came forth mainly because of r3naissanc3r's current departure. I think it is worth having a system or at least a place to honor those who have worked hard to make TNP what it is. Consider it the TNP's Medal of Honor.

I would rather see us confer a commendation or some type of RA Awards rather than the use of Honourary Citizenship even if it affords no rights, or privileges that Citizenship offer.

I think such an award could be created without the need for legislation. Indeed, such awards have been given out in the past. I don't think a vote of the RA should be required. Better for it to come from the delegate, in my opinion. Less beaurocracy involved.

I think r3n’s work speaks for itself and his name is indelibly carved into the fabric of this region and community. I appreciate the sentiment but do not believe this is the way to see it fulfilled.

What Pallaith said.

We could have a TNP Hall of Fame, or something like that (didn't we have one?). That'd be cool. We could even have a special thread to remember r3n, and all the crazy things we did together, and links to nostalgic music from the 90s, and a slideshow made with all the avatars he used over the years. But, adding this to the legal code doesn't seem right.

Also, Citizenship means Citizenship, honorary or not, a status that should have rights and duties attached. It'd also be confusing.

I like the idea. How about calling it something like The Legion of Merit of The North Pacific which confers 'honorary citizenship'. Create a committee that people can nominate individuals to, and that committee presents a brief letter of recommendation listing the merits, etc., of the nomination to the RA.

Im fine with this meaningless award if and only if we make it as complicated as possible and make it award-able only if it is nominated by the RA and a unanimous confirmation from the Security Council, Court and Executive.

Section 6.4 Honorary Citizens:
1. Any member that has contributed service to The North Pacific and has ceased to be a citizen of The North Pacific has the ability to be named an honorary citizen of the region.

2. The rights of citizenship are not granted to an honorary citizen.
How would you define Contributed Service?

Also I agree with the others, why put it in the law?
ed588:
I'm new round here. Who is r3n and what have they done?
r3naissanc3r also known as HMS Unicorn or just r3n is a former Administrator here and a long time member of TNP.

Last edited:
Back