Meterra Economic Treaty Association

For the sake of not forcing our applicant to wait months, I think this is a sufficient number of votes to warrant admission into the Association.

Congratulations to Dhahara on being admitted to the Meterra Economic Treaty Association, Meterra's premier economic and cultural alliance. We not only hope but expect that you all sustain and contribute to the synergy that breathes life into the continent and glows like a burning flame within the global arena.

To newly admitted Full Members, We ask that you communicate your designated plenipotentiary (representative) in the following format:
[LEADER(S) TITLE] [LEADER NAME], [FULL NATION NAME], [PLENIPOTENTIARY NAME], [PLENIPOTENTIARY POSITION/TITLE IN YOUR NATION'S GOVERNMENT].

I will be able to update the front page of the Treaty as soon as this information is provided.

ADMINISTRATIVE POST

Updated the front page and relevant posts in order to include our newest member, Dhahara. Let me know if there are any other changes that need or should be made.

END ADMINISTRATIVE POST

minfr.png

To the esteemed members of the Meterran Economic Treaty Association (META), we celebrate our shared history and culture, and we celebrate the countless contributions our Meterran brethren have made to better the world stage. We're truly grateful for the rich culture and the robust economic ties we share with our neighbors. As such, the Kingdom of Pozolanni wishes to continue to promote stronger regional unity and closer economic ties with the Meterran Continent. Pozolanni stands with META's core principles of peace, prosperity, cooperation, and goodwill.

The Government of Pozolanni truly believes in the value of META as an organization fully dedicated to promoting greater international unity and greater economic prosperity for all. We affirm our support for META's mission and principles, and we wish to partake in this honorable association as a full member. We strongly believe that Pozolanni membership will serve as a net benefit for all parties involved, and we wish you well as we eagerly await a response.

Sincerely,
Domenique Paolo Arana II
Minister for Foreign Relations of the Kingdom of Pozolanni

A Lancerian representative rose to address the assembly in-response to the letter read aloud. "Lanceria welcomes the application of another nation of the continent! If you truly abide by the principles you reference then we would be welcome you as a member as well. Over the next few days, Lanceria and her nation colleagues will review your application and our own knowledge to determine that point. Minister Arana, for the sake of the record, could you elaborate on the contributions your nation makes to the regional or world stage, either economically or politically?"

"Thank you for your remarks, we are truly humbled to be here today. With regards to your inquiry, Pozolanni houses a very robust and vibrant economy. Some of the major cornerstones of our economy include energy, agriculture, fishing, and shipping. With regards to the energy industry, the deserts of Pozolanni have been able to provide to us a large supply of oil for use at home, and of course, for export abroad. Our agricultural industry is well-known for its cultivation and export of products such as potatoes, wine grapes, tomatoes, oranges, limes, lemons, and apples. Pozolanni wine has always been one of our top exports, though I will refrain from heaping too many praises onto it out of deference to the many other wine-producing countries within the organization. Our fishing and shipping sectors have always been historically vibrant, being major components of our economy ever since we first managed to get our hands on boats. And as well, we also have a growing manufacturing and technology sector within the country, hopefully helping us to further enhance our domestic economic growth."

To the members of the Meterran Economic Treaty Association, I, acting on behalf of her majesty Tzarina Elizabeta I, humbly request the admission of the Kingdom of Yamantau to your ranks. For too long we have shuttered ourselves away, but no longer. We are ready to join the rest of Meterra on the economic stage. With humble regards,

Premier Milan Sakarin.

"Premier Sakarin," began a Lancerian representative to the assembly, "thank you for expressing your interest in joining and strengthening the partnership META has across the continent. As with all applications, the nations gathered here will review your application and our own perceptions & understandings of your nation to cast our votes on your application. In the meantime, Premier, and for the sake of the record-" the representative nodded at a typographer dutifully recording his words- "could you share more about the contributions you believe you can make to this group economically or politically and your willingness to work together with these fine nations to address the issues facing Meterra in the near & distant futures?"

“I, and by proxy Demescia, applaud Yamantau, a country once stricken with war but now with a glimmer of hope amidst years of turmoil,” Kayode says with a half–smile.

It then dissipates. “Let me be clear. Yamantau has taken important steps towards stability, the most illuminating being when the Tzarina replaced the old Tzar and ushered in half a year’s age of peace and progress. I don’t knock it. Yamantau is well on its way to being ready. On its way—”

She ahemed in the mic, leaned a little into it, and—eying everyone in the room—said, “but, like I said, it’s only been half a year. They’ve shown promise, don’t get me wrong, but we have no idea how long that promise will hold. What if Elizabeta dies tomorrow?” she quietly bangs her fist on the desk,

“Or the month next?” she bangs again,

“Or even the year next?” and again,

“How much does it take to plunge Yamantau into darkness and chaos again like it was in the years prior?”

She then leans back and folds her arms. “This peace is new, and we as Meterrans know it’s also fragile. Until their institutions prove themselves stable for a long period, there’s not much we can do for their admission. I suggest we wait and see before admitting them, and if not, Demescia will abstain in any vote to that.”

She downs her glass of water.

Last edited:
"What if an old man turned 98, won the lottery and died the next day?" Mwikiza Rould began, answering the Demescian delegate.

"What if there was a black fly in your chardonnay? What if it rained on your wedding day? Or if you were offered a free ride having already paid? It's ironic that you pose questions of stability when so many of us here come from countries with recent histories of instability."

Mwikiza continued. "Naizerre, the Marä of my people, had barely emerged from a civil war when this terê tî yängö-iri formed. Others too, have suffered similarly. So I do not believe that the recency of this peace should be such a delaying factor. We have our institutions that can help here. The Meterran Mission should immediately be marshalled to assist in monitoring this peace, and to help the Yamantau authorities in advancing the cause of human rights throughout the country. The Conservation Committees, Heritage and Natural both, should also be directed to work with the relevant bodies in order to ensure that the natural environment and indigenous cultures and heritages in Yamantau can be recovered. I am sure that our other bodies can help in the same way."

"Naizerre believes the best way to ensure the peace remains is to offer tï-tî söngö - the hand of friendship, not by being a poor neighbour and turning them away. Let us add a proud Yamantau into our collective strength, so that we all benefit."

The Dhahari delegate, Samaan Kalil Tsegaye, responded a moment after, clearing his throat. The bald man adjusted his glasses.

"Dhahara must agree with Mr. Rould. Our nation, too, came to META after a long period of unrest and redevelopment. META should not-- no, cannot, simply turn away from a nation because of its history. We must extend our hand to assist them in their time of need. META must become a force of peace and stability on Eras, and it can only do so by assisting the nations of this great continent, especially those that wish to join this distinguished organization. Dhahara fully supports the initiatives suggested by the Naizerri delegation, and considering we border Yamantau, would be more than willing to allow our southwestern regions to be used by META if required. Yamantau has just as much a right to join this organization as any other nation on Meterra that reaches out."

Last edited:
Llew Thomas, the Trinnish Representative rose next, straightening their jacket and beginning to speak.

"What is the purpose of our organisations if we cannot ensure, and help, our prospective candidates be to our standards? While it may induce costs on us all in the short term, it is surely the best course of action for all involved, and may even preserve the newly established peace that our fellow Meterrans in Yamantau have achieved. While we may not be able to immediately enable Yamantau to join, we can certainly join with the measures Mr. Rould and Mr. Tsegaye in assisting them, and offer our help in enabling Yamantau to bring its infrastructure to the standards META would expect."

To The Membership of the Meterra Economic Treaty Association,

In complete accordance with the preambular considerations, declarations, holdings, resolutions, and decisions of the Charter, the Novzhenovian Commonwealth of Free Lands of and by Ilenja Ilenji hereby applies for full membership in the Meterra Economic Treaty Association with the following reservations:

- Exemption from article 3.1 of the Treaty of Omoxje in the trade for the following protected goods and services, as afforded by 3.1.1.
- - Timber, Petroleum, Precious Metals, Glass & Glassware, Furnitures, Pottery & Ceramic Homeware, Household Appliances, Wine & Spirits, Nuts, Olives, Citrus, Financial Services, and Natural Dyes.

- Exemption from article 3.3.2. of the Treaty of Omoxje where concerning trading policies towards third-party states where no policy at the association-level exists.

- Exemption from Free Movement of Labour policies, and delegation of these responsibilities to the constituent sovereignties of Novzhenovia

- Exemption from article 4.2 and 4.3 of the Treaty of Omoxje where concerning inter-migration policies of the constituent sovereignties of Novzhenovia, national migration policies adopted under the Kizhor Environmental Protocol, and the Federal Preferential Protocol for the South Meterran Geographic Region (FPP.SMGR)

Last edited:
Kayode scoffs. "The items you oppose are the most important to the functioning of the Association.

"For example, article 3.3.2 thwarts tariff-dodging, whereby tariffed products can reach YOUR market just by being rerouted through other signatories. Letting even one country break from that article defeats the whole purpose of our collective, and weakens our economic influence on the international stage.

"Not to mention, free movement and intermigration policies are critical in our mission - to combine signatories in economic and cultural synergy, and to encourage the free flow of markets and ideas. If this isn't suitable, I suggest you reapply as a third-party member."

Kayode turns her head at her virtue signaling colleagues. "You can say 'Help Yamantau' all you want. Don't get me wrong, I wholeheartedly agree we should give them the best shot at economic stability. At the same time, I'm not so starry-eyed.

"There's a number of practical concerns. For example, as I've said before, we can admit them as a peaceful state, but if they snap back to mayhem then what? We'd be scrambling from an unrelenting refugee crisis and a shaky regime different from the one we let in.

"So, let's say we don't immediately let them in. But we still want to help. The question I posed to this floor was 'what institutions do we have in place to systematically help them?' Not only that, how comfortable will all signatories involved be in the process? If we don't have a clear answer or suggestion to this, our efforts to help them will be disorganized and in vain.

"We should also make note of the powers of our current institutions, and vote to extend them if necessary. We can't risk overstepping our boundaries, as this can lead to risky and unclear precedents."

Last edited:
"Lanceria welcomes all applications to META, but one such as that from the Novzhenovian Commonwealth is of concern to our delegation." said a Lancerian representative.

"The agreements our nations have made with each other are essential to the operation of a collective and benefit all of our citizens. We must also begin to consider the precedent that this sets- how many nations will then believe that applying to META includes optional clauses and how might granting even more of those compromise the strength that is gained from a unified adherence to our charter?"

"I strongly encourage the Novzhenovian Commonwealth to reconsider their requests for these exemptions or at least elaborate more on why these special privileges should be granted." the representative from Lanceria nodded at Kayode and returned to their seat.

Last edited:
Boris furrowed a brow at hearing the translation of the Novzhenovian delegation in his ear, their formal proposal for accession having been stated. Before he could speak, though, several other representatives from respective countries spoke, echoing his thoughts on the matter nearly entirely. "I agree with my colleagues here," he stated in Mercanti into his own microphone, "The articles of our charter form who we are and what META is; exemptions are just that - exemptions. When your list of exemptions dwarfs the list of protocols you wish to comply by, well... then I don't think there's any reason for the Association to even consider your entry, seeing as how you're not very interested in the Association or what it is. This organization is primarily one of economic interest and alignment - and your requested exemptions have everything to do with economy and labor. Ergo, I don't feel like there is anything further to discuss. Your country's interests and the interests of META are simply different - there's nothing inherently wrong with that, but being allowed entry into the Association seems foolhardy and wrought with troubles for both us and your country."

The Mouxordian then directed his attention to the discussion on Yamantau. "We might, one day, be happy and eager to integrate Yamantau into META. But to do so in order to levy the institutions to raise them up seems like it would be at the risk and cost of our own stability - individually as nations as well as together as META. I agree with the representative from Demescia - we have institutions in order to address prospective accessions into the Association. And if those powers are not enough, then the issue we should be discussing is the expansion of those institutions in order to welcome a healthy and stable nations rather than destabilizing our entire system to incorporate nations quickly and immediately."

Back