Cartography Discussion and Off-Topic Megathread

Syrixia:
Junie:
That island right next to me you have highlighted I kinda meant to claim too. Same with the other two small (like, a few pixels wide and long) islands around me.

Just wanted to clarify. If the Map Gods could put those in that would be nice.
haha, maybe we could possibly, just possibly divide that tiny island :)

Junie:
Syrixia:
Junie:
That island right next to me you have highlighted I kinda meant to claim too. Same with the other two small (like, a few pixels wide and long) islands around me.

Just wanted to clarify. If the Map Gods could put those in that would be nice.
haha, maybe we could possibly, just possibly divide that tiny island :)
It's a bit too tiny for that. :lol: Perhaps an alliance would be in order instead?

EDIT: Kinda getting non-claimy-thready. Further responses should be taken to the discussion thread.

Syrix: if you wanted it claimed, you should've claimed it.

Bohseon: that much distance between your mainland and that tiny island is weird, but tentatively okay.

General reminder: people, please use fill with the Hex code colors supplied at the OP. It makes our job so much easier than having to integrate a bunch of messy paintbrushes over a general guideline of your borders. We don't get paid, however much it would be nice to. Also, if you could use the crop function to preserve the same resolution and .png files for transparency and lack of compression that would be wonderful. Thanks :)

Yeraennus:
Syrix: if you wanted it claimed, you should've claimed it.

Bohseon: that much distance between your mainland and that tiny island is weird, but tentatively okay.

General reminder: people, please use fill with the Hex code colors supplied at the OP. It makes our job so much easier than having to integrate a bunch of messy paintbrushes over a general guideline of your borders. We don't get paid, however much it would be nice to. Also, if you could use the crop function to preserve the same resolution and .png files for transparency and lack of compression that would be wonderful. Thanks :)
Bohseon can have it for now. I can use the dispute IC to make an RP.

St George:
There is no equator. Scale is 1 pixel = 4km2
Thank you. Been wondering if the scale was the same as the old map.

Now, having said that there is no equator, is there a general guideline that the more northern and southern nations are colder climates or is the idea of climate and geography entirety at the discretion of the role players?

Yeraennus:
Syrixia: Stay on your previously claimed island or move completely to the new claim.
Is there a reason why I cannot expand my nation to the new area? I have RP backing; I have things I want to do with the new area; and I took the opportunity to claim it so it could replace my old expansion- I didn't want that writing to go to waste.

It is mostly at the discretion of the player, but it would be nice to keep it so more southern oriented nations follow a warmer climate pattern. We are the North Pacific, you know.

Would someone be willing to help me figure out the land area for Esplandia and Tajis as I have no way to do it currently?

Yeraennus:
It is mostly at the discretion of the player, but it would be nice to keep it so more southern oriented nations follow a warmer climate pattern. We are the North Pacific, you know.
I know... I was asking just to clarify as I'm working on my nation's history re-write and I want to make sure I don't describe geography that is impossible in the particular area of the map / world.

Nightsong:
St George:

Now, having said that there is no equator, is there a general guideline that the more northern and southern nations are colder climates or is the idea of climate and geography entirety at the discretion of the role players?
Is there a emoticon with an aneurism-induced eye twitch? :)

Unless we are on a disk carried on the back of an elephant, there has to be an equator, and by my reckoning SDKY's old spot moved from the Yucatan peninsula to the Carolinas, latitude-wise.

I quote Plembobria:

who cares?

The geography of a nation should be at the discretion of its owner. Perhaps we could have an equator, but it should not affect temperature.

That was mostly tongue in cheek :P

Have fun with your climates, it's your nation. This is an RP universe, I tend to ignore realism when it doesn't favor a good narrative.

Piscivore:
Nightsong:
St George:

Unless we are on a disk carried on the back of an elephant, there has to be an equator, and by my reckoning SDKY's old spot moved from the Yucatan peninsula to the Carolinas, latitude-wise.
You have clearly ignored me whenever I've said multiple times that we share a planet with TSP, thus the equator would be to the south of all the land. :P

St George:
Piscivore:
Nightsong:
St George:

You have clearly ignored me whenever I've said multiple times that we share a planet with TSP, thus the equator would be to the south of all the land. :P
*[me] braces for Nebula to go insane W00T*

Piscivore:
Nightsong:
St George:

1. It's an RP universe. Climates and stuff are at the discretion of the RPer.

2. We explicitly share a world with the South Pacific, among other regions. An equator would screw with that.

3. Note rule 7. Being a lemon is strictly prohibited.

I'm not gonna put my mod hat on because we're friendly here.

Syrixia, I will discuss my reasoning in a little bit with you.

Yeraennus:
Syrixia, I will discuss my reasoning in a little bit with you.
Of course. I'm on the TNP RP IRC chat if you want to chat in real time.

After a compromise with Yeraennus over IRC, we've agreed that the western section of my expansion will not be included, but the eastern section will be allowed.

Figured I'd let the other Map Gods know.

Yeraennus:
If I was going to be a lemon, I would be complaining about how no geologic process I know could produce these continents or coastlines, let alone the tectonic plates for this planet must look like someone dropped a mirror. :P :D

Yeraennus:
If I wanted to be a lemon, I would ask the Cartographers for a claim in the shape of a lemon...

Also, thank you for clarifying that the equator is technically south of us in the shrouded mists where The South Pacific resides.

You're both being lemons and therefore I will reduce your claims by 2 pixels.

Last question, do the time zones / time zone map still exist or have those gone up in flames with the map reset?

Madjack:
New Update: Layered XCF file - Coloured PNG1 - Colourless PNG1

Nightsong:
After starting my history re-write, I've decided to retire Callaici from role-play scenarios and will be focusing primarily on Kalti and Andalucia. As such, I want to revoke the current claims I have and ask for the following new claims for the two countries. Size wise, I used Ceretis and St Owhela as a reference point. Lastly, since Techislovakia had originally asked for a claim where Kalti is, I am perfectly fine with the land being handed over to him and revised slightly to fit how he wants it.

y8hPEx9.png

RBGPcTN.png
Part of the Kalti claim is already claimed, please advise.
Piscivore:
If that's the case I'd like to reassert my claim on my former lands:

D3DlVrl.png
I've left you where you are for now, due to the above conflict.
Archegnum:
Yrkidding:
I'd like to petiton the cartography team to add Archlancer Island back to the map, preferably a bit out into the water South-West of where Mcm's claim looks to be.

As I mentioned earlier a great deal of my nation's history, population, culture, international role, alliances, structure of the army and navy, and much much more all take into account my island nation and its' straits. My history is especially intertwined with that of Mcm's and takes into account our close proximity at every step, with our current monarchs being cousins and then aunt and niece, with Lancerian troops currently deployed there assisting with the Civil War, and the Lancerian Empire acting as a safe-haven for parts of the royal family throughout the civil war, partly because of it's close relations and close proximity. Without dragging on, you can see that it would take a great deal of effort to work out something else here, especially considering the lack of any similar island with any proximity to Mcm's claim, etc.

I'd like to submit my claim as the below pictures, where I'd like Archlancer Island, the smaller island to the NW, the medium island to the SW, and the small islands that are off-shore of those as visible in the 2nd pic. I'm prepared to exclude the chunk of land sticking out from the bottom of the map. For now I'd like to claim those islands as my own, though in the event that Archegnum would like to claim that land which was his on the islands on the old map I'm prepared to surrender that to him. I'd also greatly appreciate it if the islands were all kept the same size.

3rzjFHk.png
4UQLb3u.png

I believe the spot I've chosen is right next to where Mcm has made his claim and yet also fits the look of the new map rather well. It even makes the cities that I had placed on the old map still make sense geographically on this one. I think this claim overlaps with an island that Mcm had added to the map and I'd like to talk to him about that and I believe we can easily work something out there, and I'll update the catography team ASAP on that matter.

~Lord Lore
I support this motion.

Could I have my old territory on this landmass returned to me, along with the re-addition of the island that used to be south of me? My reasoning is pretty similar to Yrkidding's - my nation's history is pretty much dependant on its 'archipelago' status. If the southern island is too big, it would be great if some smaller island could be put in instead.

Anyway, here's my claim, if allowed:

b8viww.png

The red is the Lancerian Empire
The blue is the Archipelegian Kingdom of Archegnum

I took the opportunity to annex a little bit more land on the southern island, to improve the aesthetic of y southern border. Hope that's not a big problem.
I'm fine with the positioning Kidding has suggested.
The team will discuss this and try to come up with a solution.
Wolfsea:
http://imgur.com/JsLltES there, mines the gold, I used the hex (after RGB conversion) and that should be kosher, so who do I have to send it to?
This claim is on hold due to the above conflict with Kalti's claim.
I apologize sincerely if this sounds rude, but what about my expansion? I made a compromise with Yeraennus to take Plembobria's old lands; but only the eastern part- leaving the western part open for claims. If you don't believe me just ask him. We talked about it over IRC yesterday.

I was more focussing on accepted claims and new claims, since I was having to build my own xcf file due to an unforeseen absence by another cartographer. It'll be added in a future update I imagine.

St George:
I was more focussing on accepted claims and new claims, since I was having to build my own xcf file due to an unforeseen absence by another cartographer. It'll be added in a future update I imagine.
Okay. I will post the picture this afternoon so you have a good idea.

Sorry for being in a lemon and contributing to the masses of rubbish on the main claim thread.
Anyway I came here to ask what the chances were of nightsong getting his claim moved and current one passed to me. We agreed on that via PMs. I understand that there were some issues with his new claim and I was wondering if there was anything I could do to help/speed things up?

Techislovakia:
Sorry for being in a lemon and contributing to the masses of rubbish on the main claim thread.
Anyway I came here to ask what the chances were of nightsong getting his claim moved and current one passed to me. We agreed on that via PMs. I understand that there were some issues with his new claim and I was wondering if there was anything I could do to help/speed things up?
Only thing I can say is be patient and let the Cartographers get to it when they have the time, they are probably busy with RL so I'm not too worried, it will happen when it happens. That and I totally missed the fact that what I had asked for for my new Kalti claim was already partially taken by another person so that slowed down the whole process.

just calculated my pop density: 63.5 which is similar to that of ireland. It's actually a bit higher than I would like it but that said I do come from country australia; a strange place with a pop density of 3

Jacksonville:
Okay then. Is this acceptable?
Jacksonville, the border line should be as thin as possible, and you actually have to fill in your claim, then you may actually get your claim granted.
-Goyanes

Do not under any circumstance comment on other people's claims in Map Claims. That is for cartography and cartography alone to deal with.

~Lord Lore

Looking at the dominion of thick as thieves claim, is there a river in Cogoria? I cant seem to see tha second river on the right in the proper map cause of my laptop refusing to show decent resolution. Is it still there?

Back