Currency Thread

Woof
Xentherida
1 NSD = 0.76 WOOF
1 WOOF = 1.32 NSD

All added. My application there was just a formality/example for any future applicants, to get a basis for how to apply. My only issue is Nin's very high currency rate. It's been added, but such a rate will have a detrimental effect on your trade. I would recommend lowering it significantly.

The spreadsheet has been updated.

Taiyochi Dwit (TA?)
Taiyochi
same rate as Dinar
(1 NSD = 1.4 TAD
1 TAD = 0.71 NSD)
only name changed.

"Dwit" is also means money in Taiyochi. For example, "how much money do you have?" can be said as "Dwit kau ada berapa?"

Jacksonville Dollar
Jacksonville City
1JD/1NSD
1NSD/1JD

The currency has changed and the economy has grown to where it is now equal.

Added. Link updated.

Also, from now on, I will accept capital cities with populations under a million. If you have one such capital, just submit an application and it should be added.

Still denied, Emmanuel. 1 / 0.79 is NOT 1.45. Give me figures that add up!

SAA, I'm assuming you want to keep with 1.2 Canoons to the NSD, so I've rounded the other figure (0.8 NSD to the Canoon) to its proper figure, at 0.83 NSD to the Canoon.

Xentherida:
Still denied, Emmanuel. 1 / 0.79 is NOT 1.45. Give me figures that add up!

SAA, I'm assuming you want to keep with 1.2 Canoons to the NSD, so I've rounded the other figure (0.8 NSD to the Canoon) to its proper figure, at 0.83 NSD to the Canoon.
Hey! Sorry am not a mathematician.

Scallendovia
Spence (¢)
1 NSD = 0.79 Spence
1 Spence = 1.27 NSD
Updated

Crown Florent (ECF)
Hastfradic League (Esplandia)
1 NSD = 0.88 ECF
1 ECF = 1.14 NSD

I'd like to update my exchange rate

Lur
Montroulez
1 NSD = .05 Lur
1 Lur = 19.94 NSD
Symbol: ?

Note that the lur is divided into 20 solt, each of which is divided into 12 pennies, with 4 kards to the penny if smaller change is required.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

no.

In the mean time, updated the Crown Florent and added the Spence. I simply need to update the OP, which I will do when mediafire stops annoying me.

Xentherida:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

no.

In the mean time, updated the Crown Florent and added the Spence. I simply need to update the OP, which I will do when mediafire stops annoying me.
And your outrageous laughter is because...? It's simply a currency and unit of account, the solt or pennies would be more common in every day use, hardly something unprecedented.

Yes, it is a currency. But that currency is not realistic in any means. No real life country has ever achieved that exchange rate, and it is unlikely that any currency ever would achieve that. Also, such a currency would have detrimental effects on your currencies (especially on export-based, enormous corporations).

Some explanation from Belschaft of TSP explaining why the currency is unrealistic.
qJqjIhG.png

In other news, Sil Dorsett has very kindly moved the Currency thread onto a Google spreadsheet: you can find it in the OP.

And yet the US doesn't have a standard of living or GDP per capita 100 times that of Japan nor Mexico 56 times that of South Korea. It's really a rather drastic oversimplification to try and use it that way and to have a base unit of account at that level (which is OOC tied somewhat to silver/ounce so I can have a simple and easy float instead of futzing with RNGs) doesn't actually affect things. If I were to claim that, with that exchange rate, the median household income was ?42,000, yes, that would be absurd. If I were to claim that it's ?2,100 however, where is the absurdity?

Because NSD is accepted, generally, as representing a strong and "benchmark" reserve currency for international use.

Asian currencies all have high denominations when compared to European and North American ones for very specific historical reasons, which could not plausibly apply to your country vs. the NSD. The majority of their trade is with each other, and thus their high denominations make sense in terms of that trade; it's in relation to the West that it looks absurd.

currencies.jpg

South Korea, for example, could reform their currency; a 10 won coin (the smallest available) can't buy anything, being worth just 0.0088 USD - less than a cent. South Korea has a purchasing power of 88% of the US, and that's simply not enough to make an individual won worth anything. But so long as the rest of Asia uses high denomination currencies, that would make things more complicated for them.

The thing is, these absurdities of unreformed currencies only exist in one direction. Bearing in mind that this is meant to reflect international currency markets, what you're asking is the effective equivalent of Venezuela demanding that currency markets use their "official" exchange rates rather than the real/market rates.

No one can stop your nation from issuing coinage that doesn't reflect real economic strength, but currency markets aren't going to use it.

Essentially, you can't realistically claim to have a currency twenty times stronger than the global reserve currency.

For comparative purposes, one of the most expensive currencies, if not the most, is the Kuwaiti Dinar, which stands at 1 Dinar buying 3.28 US Dollars. The reason it's so high though is because Kuwait has crude oil.

Currency prices fluctuate on supply and demand just like goods do. When there's high demand for oil, there's high demand for the currency needed to buy the oil, which jacks the price up.

So, either your nation must have something critical that everyone wants badly, or you've priced your currency to the point where nobody is going to buy your goods.

[Article on how currency prices are determined.]

CURRENCY NAME: Bolivarian Dollar
NATION THAT USES THE CURRENCY: Republic of Bolivar
1 Bolivarian Dollar-1 NSD
1 NSD = 1 Bolivarian Dollar

hahaha.

wait, you're serious?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

no.

Not only is that currency so incredibly ridiculous, but the calculations do not even add up. Please, please, PLEASE, give me actual figures that are not beyond ludicrous. 3 million-strong armies are ludicrous. 9 NSD to the Wake is ludicrous. Think realistically!

Xentherida:
hahaha.

wait, you're serious?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

no.

Not only is that currency so incredibly ridiculous, but the calculations do not even add up. Please, please, PLEASE, give me actual figures that are not beyond ludicrous. 3 million-strong armies are ludicrous. 9 NSD to the Wake is ludicrous. Think realistically!
hush hush, i meant 4 instead of 9 and the .5 wasnt supposed to be there alone. needed a 2 infront of it. And my army isnt 3,000,000 strong. its 100,000. The 3 mill are reserves. OH but 4 is too ridiculous for a nation that survives completely underwater? Cool. Just gonna stop trying to apply to these.

Having such a high exchange rate does present many problems, so I would just like to ask: is your country similar to an oil rich gulf state like Bahrain or Kuwait?

AntonioSokolavin:
Altonovan Wake or AW
Altonova
1 NSD = 0.25 Altonovan Wakes or 0.25 AW
1 AW = 4 NSD
One of the issues I see with your exchange rate being so high stems from your desire to run an underwater nation. It's likely that nobody will bother with trying to trade with you if the logistical cost is high enough, which is likely if the only way to trade is through submarines or a very small port with limited docking capacity. This will drive demand for your currency down. Currencies are subject to the same supply/demand curve as goods, and if demand for your currency is low, the price will run low.

Edit:
Another thing to consider is that the cost of items between two countries is almost always different. If you can produce cheap oil, you'll have greater demand, and your currency price will go up. Works in the opposite direction too. Theoretically, this should equalize prices, but it never does, as there are other factors involved that impact the price of the currency. The discrepancy is addressed in the theory of purchasing power parity.

A decent visualization of this abnormality can be found here: http://www.economist.com/content/big-mac-index. It's called the Big Mac Index, and it's a lighthearted way that demonstrates how for the same product the price varies from country to country even after considering exchange rates.
  • If the average price of a Big Mac in the US is $5.06, the price in Sweden should be SKr 46.14, but it's not; it's 48.00. You're overpaying for the Big Mac by converting to krona and buying in Sweden.
  • On the flip side, buying in China should cost Yuan 35.07, but it doesn't; it's 19.60. You get a better deal in China.
(All of that was as of January 2017 when the article was posted.)

How much would a Big Mac cost in your country?

Gold, you have two different conversions to 1 NSD. Did you mean 1 Rod = 0.28 NSD and 1 NSD = 3.57 Rod, or 1 Rod = 3.57 NSD and 1 NSD = 0.28 Rod?

See what happens when old guys try to multitask :-)

1 Rod = 0.28 NSD
1 NSD = 3.57 Rod

Sorry for the confusion.

Back