Deputy Attorney General Appointments

Tomb

TNPer
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Without any further ado, I'd like to announce my appointments for Deputy Attorney General. This process took some time as it was hard to find interest in the post among the existing TNP populace. I had to look for people who were active, willing to innovate, and in the end, I believe I've a pretty good team built up. One of my main objectives in putting this legal team together was balance. As you will find out in a bit, our team balances each other out in terms legal experience. We've a former chief justice on the team, but at the same time, we've people who have never been in any institution related to TNP's judicial system. But they all share something in common: their potential and willingness to go up and beyond.

The coming month will be an extremely busy one for the Attorney General's Office. There'll be a lot of work, training, etc. That's why I will be making bi-weekly updates with our progress. These updates will include what we (each deputy and myself) did for that period of time and our plans for the weeks after. These updates will allow for more transparency, and I believe they will keep the AG's Office in check and active.

So on to the appointments.... I hereby appoint the following individuals to serve as Deputy Attorney Generals.

1. Romanoffia - Former Chief Justice, current Security Councilor. Adding Romanoffia to the team will undoubtedly bring much-needed experience to the team.
2. Yeraennus - Excellent performance in the last AG election. He's very active in our community, and I'm sure that this will give him an opportunity to shine in this region.
3. Sasten - NPA Soldier, excellent work ethic. I've seen Sasten's performance in the NPA from the first day he's joined it, and I'm very proud of him. I'm sure he'll show the same exact work ethic here.
4. Abacathea - Former Vice Delegate, Minister of WA Affairs. When I saw that Abacathea returned to TNP, I just had to bring him aboard. Aba and I both served in R3n's cabinet, and on top of his work on the Ministry of WA Affairs, he was one of our most consistent and active VDs ever. Proud to have him on board. (His appointment will become official upon getting approved by the Admins Team for citizenship; or upon the completion of the 14 days processing period, whichever comes first.)

Deputies, you can take your oaths right here.

That sums it up, folks. Please join me in congratulating the Deputy Attorney Generals.

Looking forward to greatness,

~ Tomb, Attorney General.

Congratulations to the appointees, but I have a question.

Considering how little the AG's office has had to do over the past term, what made you decide that four deputies were needed?

I decided to follow insuit with what past AG's, including GM, have done. That's basically, two individuals responsible for a Criminal Division and two individuals responsible for a Constitutional Review Division. I was going to announce this in detail, by the way, once all of the deputies had access to the AG's subforum and once we decided whose going to be responsible for what.

In addition to that, I plan to implement my plan of writing up a legal manual that would break down and simplify our laws, and serve as a guide for future AG's and anyone interested in TNP's laws.

As I said in my campaign, my goal is to reverse the inactivity in the AG's office and to try to turn out well-informed potential AGs, and I hope to accomplish that by the end of this term.

That, and cleaning up all these dangling cases that have been hanging out for long periods of time (by acting or declining to prosecute).

Romanoffia:
That, and cleaning up all these dangling cases that have been hanging out for long periods of time (by acting or declining to prosecute).
There are no 'dangling cases' on record unless you are preparing to try JAL in absentia, which, knowing you, wouldn't be too much of a surprise. Would definitely be a joke, which is also expected where you are concerned.

Eluvatar:
Is this conduct endorsed by the Attorney General's office?
I will talk to Yer, Elu. Thank you for pointing that out.

As you clearly now, I do not support that kind of behavior whatsoever, and just because Yeraennus claims to be Deputy AG, doesn't mean that he has the AG's endorsement in that way. With that in mind, I have contacted him, and I am sure he will take care of rectifying that behavior.

Apologies for the immaturity in that post. I acted out of anger towards Derptingtonn, and said post has now been deleted.

The Democratic Republic of Tomb:
I decided to follow insuit with what past AG's, including GM, have done. That's basically, two individuals responsible for a Criminal Division and two individuals responsible for a Constitutional Review Division. I was going to announce this in detail, by the way, once all of the deputies had access to the AG's subforum and once we decided whose going to be responsible for what.

In addition to that, I plan to implement my plan of writing up a legal manual that would break down and simplify our laws, and serve as a guide for future AG's and anyone interested in TNP's laws.

As I said in my campaign, my goal is to reverse the inactivity in the AG's office and to try to turn out well-informed potential AGs, and I hope to accomplish that by the end of this term.
It's now around 5 or 6 weeks since this post, I'd just like to enquire as to how all of this is going?

I'm sortof concerned that my inquiry seems to have been ignored. It is the responsibility of the Attorney General to ensure that his office is... doing something, to be honest, especially when one runs on such lofty promises as bringing "relevance to the office", whatever that might mean, although I'll note you did already go back on one thing you said you would do, appointing 4 deputies instead of the "1-2, at most 3" you indicated in campaign topic. An admittedly minor... 'offence', so to speak, but one nonetheless.

That being said, I'd like to request updates on the following, arranged in a format I'm sure you'll be able to follow. :)
1. In your campaign topic, you talk about taking "AAGs one on one by reviewing old cases, hearings, inquiries, reviews, and basically the court decisions regarding those legal issues", so my question is this. How many old cases, hearing, inquiries, reviews and court decisions have you taken your AAGs through, and will these be made public, and if so when?
2. You also announced you would be writing a legal manual outlining the different areas of TNP law. How far has this progressed and is there an expected time that this will be published for wider review by those interested in that sort of thing, if it is to be made public at all? After all, TNP has a bevy of judicially inclined members who aren't part of the office and who would likely be able to help - or at least point out any errors, if there are any.
3. You quite rightly talk about assessing the interest in judicial related events such as mock trials, etc etc before you would announce any such events (I made the mistake of trying this in another region, and it wasn't as successful as I'd have liked). My question is have you assessed the interest in such an activity and if so what was your ultimate assessment?
4. You say in your campaign topic that your "ultimate goal is to basically create activity in the AG’s Office", considering the only posts in this subforum during your term have been in this topic, would you say your term, thus far, has failed to live up to that admittedly admirable goal? And if so, what will you be doing in order to correct that, and also to ensure you "produce well learned, potential AGs" out of your deputies?
I look forward to you eventually answering these questions, and wish you luck for the rest of your term. :)

Because I felt like it I've started a Legal Manual in the style of the Army Manual I made last year. While mostly an outline, it has already reached 65 pages (probably mostly thanks to including several legal documents verbatim).

I've shared my draft with Tomb and Asta, and hope that together with whomever else is interested we can get this done some day :)

I hope the answers to my questions come sometime before that day, but I somehow doubt it.

Could you be convinced to go find the Attorney General or one of his flock of deputies to answer my questions?

If I see the AG around, StGeorge I'll happily remind him about your questions. I haven't seen him much lately, I'm afraid.

I do not think St George's questions ought to be lost as this thread goes off-piste. He originally asked his question on 9th May. It is now a week later.

We have five members of the Attorney General's office. None of them are absent. All of them have posted in other areas of the forum in the last week.

Just not here, and it is not as if the department has had nothing to do. It has just not been done.

I am becoming curious as to what is going on.

flemingovia:
I do not think St George's questions ought to be lost as this thread goes off-piste. He originally asked his question on 9th May. It is now a week later.

We have five members of the Attorney General's office. None of them are absent. All of them have posted in other areas of the forum in the last week.

Just not here, and it is not as if the department has had nothing to do. It has just not been done.

Maybe they are planning to indict me for the NPD? There is a lot of evidence to comb through on the old forum.

Gracius Maximus:
flemingovia:

Maybe they are planning to indict me for the NPD? There is a lot of evidence to comb through on the old forum.

:rofl:

Such an indictment would be so many flavors of illegal. I could give a list of reasons a mile[note]actually a bit shorter[/note] long.

I wonder if you could list them before the Attorney General answers my questions....

I will reserve judgement on what the AG's Office is doing until such time as they respond. It is a thankless position that does typically include a lot of work behind the scenes.

That is not in any way meant to belittle the fact that a member of the community has been ignored for an extended period of time. Just an observation.

I don't know about the others, but I'm hesitant to act/answer those questions without Tomb's backing, seeing as I'm altogether inexperienced in terms of public office. If tomb takes longer to post, I will however answer your questions to the best of my ability, madjack. My apologies for any problems my hesitancy may have caused.

I can say that I will be looking at the case presented by Plembobria against thegemini.

Tomb's Election manifesto:
I am going to be working hard to bring relevance to the office through several measures. First of all, I plan on making several Deputy Attorney General appointments (1-2, at most 3). As far as training goes, I’ll be focusing with potential AAGs one on one by reviewing old cases, hearings, inquiries, reviews, and basically the court decisions regarding those legal issues. I also plan to set up a legal manual outlining different areas of TNP law and breaking them down so that future AG’s can have a resource to use to train their potential deputies and to use for on-the-job referencing when needed. My ultimate goal is to basically create activity in the AG’s Office and help produce well learned, potential AGs out of my Deputies. I have other plans, such as holding mock trials, etc., but I will have to assess relative interest in such ideas before promising anything in that regard.

That was the promise Tomb was elected on. How's it going?

(I think even Deputy AGs can give an update on what is currently happening, surely?)

flemingovia:
Tomb's Election manifesto:
I am going to be working hard to bring relevance to the office through several measures. First of all, I plan on making several Deputy Attorney General appointments (1-2, at most 3). As far as training goes, I’ll be focusing with potential AAGs one on one by reviewing old cases, hearings, inquiries, reviews, and basically the court decisions regarding those legal issues. I also plan to set up a legal manual outlining different areas of TNP law and breaking them down so that future AG’s can have a resource to use to train their potential deputies and to use for on-the-job referencing when needed. My ultimate goal is to basically create activity in the AG’s Office and help produce well learned, potential AGs out of my Deputies. I have other plans, such as holding mock trials, etc., but I will have to assess relative interest in such ideas before promising anything in that regard.

That was the promise Tomb was elected on. How's it going?

(I think even Deputy AGs can give an update on what is currently happening, surely?)
Very slowly. Tomb said he's been very busy with RL matters for a while now, certainly more than he'd planned, so that's essentially meant that this office has been moving far slower than we'd have preferred.

Ok thanks for the update.

EDIT: on reflection the one thing i would say is that in winning the election in March, Tomb prevented the election of two other candidates keen to do the job.
It seems to me unfair to hold on to a position if Real Life means that the office holder is going to be inactive.

Everyone has glitches in life. But Tomb's term of office is now half over and nothing appreciable has been done.

Would not an honourable resignation be in order while there is still time for a successor to make something of this term of office?

Flemingovia:
EDIT: on reflection the one thing i would say is that in winning the election in March, Tomb prevented the election of two other candidates keen to do the job.
He prevented other candidates from winning? Lmao.. he won fair and square. (unless you're suggesting some kind of election fraud?)

Flemingovia:
Would not an honourable resignation be in order while there is still time for a successor to make something of this term of office?
Apply that attitude evenly through all elected/appointed offices (even the ones your friends hold). Plenty of elected/appointed officials go inactive after being elected/appointed. This 'call for resignation' comes across as you taking an opportunity to take a shot at Tomb. :eyeroll:

falapatorius:
Flemingovia:
He prevented other candidates from winning? Lmao.. he won fair and square. (unless you're suggesting some kind of election fraud?)

Flemingovia:
Apply that attitude evenly through all elected/appointed offices (even the ones your friends hold). Plenty of elected/appointed officials go inactive after being elected/appointed. This 'call for resignation' comes across as you taking an opportunity to take a shot at Tomb. :eyeroll:
Re-read the sentence. I said that in winning tomb prevented the other candidates from holding the office. I said nothing about election fraud.

As to your second point, office holder inactivity has been the blight of TNP, historically. And I have been pretty consistent in calling for inactive since to step aside. Off the top of my head I can recall in the past making the same suggestion to eluvatar and mcmasterdonia, both of whom are good friends of mine. I have also supported moving out inactive administrators.

This is a wider issue than tomb; you are the one trying to personalise it.

edit: Actually, tell you what. Keep an eye open. If Ever another elected official goes through half their term inactive and I do not support of start calls for them to step down, you can refer back to this post and call me a hypocrite. I do not include appointed officicals, because they serve at the pleasure of the delegate, and the heat should be on the delegate in that instance. Deal?

Back