Tomb for Attorney General!

Tomb

TNPer
Tomb for Attorney General

Intro: Hello guys! This past judicial term has been a dormant one, and while I am disappointed that the bench did not answers or issue any rulings, reviews, or inquiries, I am of the opinion that when it comes to the courts, no news is generally good news. Serving with Justices Plembobria and Vazos had been quiet the honor, and I look forward to working with them again if we’re all elected/reelected. The reason that I am running for AG, instead of another term for Justice, is because my activity has picked up, RL events have settled down, and I feel that serving as AG would allow me to move back and serve greater roles in the Executive Branch. The reason I ran for Justice initially was because my activity at the time was limited, and it was a great job that suited my needs at the time. I can’t say that the Court has done much this tenure, but we (Justice Plembobria, Vazos, and I) maintained an update thread where we constantly maintained activity and would have been prepared to tackle any cases or reviews had they come.

Resume: I’ve held many positions during my time here in TNP, including Delegate. I’m also serving as Justice currently, so there is that. Outside of TNP, I’ve held the post of Keeper of the Deshret in Osiris along with a couple of other executive branch portfolios. In TRR, I am serving as Minister of Communications. I’ve been involved in other regions in limited capacities, but most of my time had been and is being spent between TNP, Osiris, and TRR.

Goals: Generally speaking, the role of the AG’s office is to prosecute relevant cases when the time comes. I really can’t think of the last time that they were used as legal advisors to the Delegate, and with that in mind, it’s been hard getting people interested in working in the AG’s office. I am going to be working hard to bring relevance to the office through several measures. First of all, I plan on making several Deputy Attorney General appointments (1-2, at most 3). As far as training goes, I’ll be focusing with potential AAGs one on one by reviewing old cases, hearings, inquiries, reviews, and basically the court decisions regarding those legal issues. I also plan to set up a legal manual outlining different areas of TNP law and breaking them down so that future AG’s can have a resource to use to train their potential deputies and to use for on-the-job referencing when needed. My ultimate goal is to basically create activity in the AG’s Office and help produce well learned, potential AGs out of my Deputies. I have other plans, such as holding mock trials, etc., but I will have to assess relative interest in such ideas before promising anything in that regard.

I thank you for taking the time to read this, and if you have any comments, questions, or concerns, I am all ears.

Thanks,

~ Tomb

In what way has it been difficult to find people to work in the AG's Office? And, how would you even know that?

When you were Delegate you asked for my advise, so you should be able to at least remember that point as being a moment when the AG acted in an advisory role to the Delegate.

As to your goals for the office, they show a lack of knowledge of what has been occurring in the office over the last 18-24 months.

But, good luck.

GM, thank you so much for the questions and for the good luck wishes, my friend! I will be answering the questions you laid out in the order that you asked them, hence the numeration.

1. The way I view this subject might be different than you do. I see the role of deputy attorney general as a vital one. In TNP's judiciary, it's difficult to gain experience. Being deputy attorney general is one of the only posts, if not the only one, that allows you to gain experience and run later on as Attorney General or Justice. As you I am sure you are aware, we have had no deputy attorney generals for the past eight months. This is almost neglecting a very important aspect of the job itself. With that in mind, I know that the past AGs, including yourself, are not to be blamed for this. Our Court System is not necessarily an exciting one, and it might not seem as attractive as the Executive Branch, but I am sure with extensive advertising and contacting new members with potential, we'll definitely be able to put together a solid team, if elected.

2. I think you misunderstood what I meant when I said "advisory role." I thank you for your advice and reassurances about the outcome of the case. However, I don't necessarily see the role of an AG as only serving the Delegate when there's a case in Court involving them. In order to bring relevance to the office, we need to expand the limited perspective that many have of the office to begin with. The AG's office needs to take a more definitive role in assisting the Delegate. This could be done when negotiating treaties, laying out policies, and other ways.

3. I appreciate your constructive feedback regarding my goals. However, I don't necessarily agree with you in this regard, GM. My goals are quite relevant. The AG's office has been vacant of deputy attorney generals...I have put forth a plan to curtail that, and even turnout potential AGs that will diversify our elections in the future and do a good job serving as AGs. The AG's office has little to no relevance to the overall operations of the Executive Branch and the Delegate's Office as a whole... I've promised to increase efforts in that regard and become more engaged in that area. The AG's office doesn't have any resources for on-the-job training or deputy training (which is very essential)...so I've put the creation of a manual taking care of that issue in my goals. It all adds up. It's all relevant. And it all takes into account ways to improve the Attorney General's role and Office.

Before I wrap this up, I wanted to take a minute and thank you, GM, along with Falap, PaulWall, and all of our former AGs. Your work and efforts are definitely appreciated, and I by no means, wish to undermine your achievements. But we can't be silent and be satisfied by only our achievements when we still have shortcomings to take care of and fix. I do hope that my post clarifies any confusion or miscommunications that you may have perceived, GM, and I look forward to working with you, if elected AG, because we both have deep interests in this office and its well-being.

~ Tomb

Tomb, glad to see you running! :) I have one question for you right now:

In what way has your experience as a criminal defendant and a justice informed your view of the AG's role in the TNP justice system? What works, what doesn't, what changes would you make if you were to be elected AG?

SillyString:
Tomb, glad to see you running! :) I have one question for you right now:

In what way has your experience as a criminal defendant and a justice informed your view of the AG's role in the TNP justice system? What works, what doesn't, what changes would you make if you were to be elected AG?
Ah, Asta! :3

Thank you for the kind words. It's great to see you running as well!

As far as our legal system goes, I think it is sufficient. In the case that I was involved in, I thought the legal system played out well. There were no technical problems, people did their jobs sufficiently, and overall, it worked out like any other case would/should. And so for the time being, there will not be any changes regarding the way the AG's office handles cases, if I am elected AG.

Just a quick question:

You were already a Justice. You might have retained that position. Why leave that to run for the AG chair?

A question, if I may: You've served in many positions across the board in TNP, in three of the four branches of the government, though you haven't stayed in a position for very long before you move over to another one. I don't mean to cause offense here, but are you committed to the office of the Attorney General, or is it another stepping stone office?

Bootsie:
A question, if I may: You've served in many positions across the board in TNP, in three of the four branches of the government, though you haven't stayed in a position for very long before you move over to another one. I don't mean to cause offense here, but are you committed to the office of the Attorney General, or is it another stepping stone office?
Whoah, Bootsie, let set the record straight here, if we're going to be talking about the positions I've held and my tenure in each one. I've been in TNP for two years now. I served as Minister of Home Affairs, when R3n recreated it, for a combined total of almost 12 months. That's basically more than any other executive government official that I know of here in TNP, and that's basically 1/2 of my time here. So please do not try to paint me as some sort of job-jumping opportunist. I've held the post of Deputy Minister of Defense for a good solid 6 months, and deputy minister of foreign affairs for a good solid 4 months. The reason I am running for Attorney General and not staying as Justice, is because I found that the job of Justice is just not for me. There's a limited amount of things that you can do as Justice outside of reviewing R4Rs and cases, which does not happen very often. When I ran for the job of Justice to begin with, it suited my activity, and I thought that I would gain some judicial experience out of it, but things didn't work out as planned. Being attorney general would allow me to work in our judicial system in a greater capacity by servicing both the judicial and executive branch, and it would give me a more direct role in actually improving the office.

falapatorius:
Just a quick question:

You were already a Justice. You might have retained that position. Why leave that to run for the AG chair?
To me, and I apologize if I am misreading, this implies that there is a hierarchy in TNP regarding Justice and AG. While it might be true in some RL systems, I do not see the natural progression of roles to be AG's Office to bench. Having served on both on multiple occasions, as you have, I can say that the roles are very different.

I would hope that no one would consider the AG's Office as only a stepping stone towards another role.

Regardless, Tomb, thank you for taking the time to respond to my comments above. In rereading them and your responses it would seem that I was a bit harsh in my initial post. Possibly due to time constraints and doing this from my phone.

What I meant to state was that over the past few terms the AG's Office has been going through the previous case files in great detail, led by SillyString in her capacity as AAG. While I do agree that the office provides a very good means of training future TNP law practitioners, we have had nothing on the table for review in months, which is why I decided not to appoint any deputies.

That said, if you choose to pursue a re-review and want to assign a full staff, that would be your perogative. A very large percentage of nations serving on the Court over the past few years have indeed cut their teeth within the AG's Office.

Hi GM, thank you for your post, and no harm was done, my friend. You have the right to ask questions, and I am responsible for answering them. If you have any other questions, comments, or concerns, don't hesitate to ask.

------------------------------

@ Falap, I answered your question along with Bootsie's in one response. If you have a follow-up or anything of the sort, I am all ears.

~ Tomb

Thank you for your answers, Tomb. I get very picky on my judicial staff, which is why I am asking some more intense questions.

Bootsie:
Thank you for your answers, Tomb. I get very picky on my judicial staff, which is why I am asking some more intense questions.
No problem. I definitely appreciate your questions, but there's always a difference between intense and inaccurate questions. Just wanted to point that out. Anyways, if you have any other questions, do let me know.

Do you think that you might be too 'nice' to be AG?

I don't mean to say that the AG has to be a jerk, although it has happened, but to put aside personal bias and friendship to pursue a criminal case to the bitter end occasionally requires a nation to be a bit more cruel than is typical for most public offices here in TNP.

Based on your personality, do you think this role is suited to you?

Gracius Maximus:
Do you think that you might be too 'nice' to be AG?

I don't mean to say that the AG has to be a jerk, although it has happened, but to put aside personal bias and friendship to pursue a criminal case to the bitter end occasionally requires a nation to be a bit more cruel than is typical for most public offices here in TNP.

Based on your personality, do you think this role is suited to you?
In RL, you'd be totally, 100% right, GM. But in a simulation game, like this one, I'm not sure that my personality would stand as a barrier to serving as AG. To put it in direct terms, I'd not hesitate to prosecute any individual that breaks the law in TNP. I generally like being on people's good sides, but just like in any other job you undertake, whether it be the Delegate role, Minister role, or Judge role, you're often forced to make hard decisions. The key is, like you said, setting aside bias and working towards basically doing what's right, or just in this situation. If I ever prosecute a case during my tenure, I'm not necessarily going to be mean about it, in fact, I want to run an Office that understands that this is just a game in the end, and that respect is the pillar characteristic that we will use in handling all cases. But we will be detailed, we will be stern, and the law is the law. There's really no leeway there. The way I want and predict myself to operate in a case, for example, is laying out the facts as they happened, apply the laws in question, and pursuing the case until justice is reached. Basically, prosecuting the case to the best of my ability and my office's ability. Thankfully, this will not be a one person process for me, because I'll have a staff there to help as I don't think that I'd be able to handle all of that alone (at this point of my NS judicial career, at least). I do hope that this will reassure you to some degree that I would be able to handle cases in an impartial way without any bias or leniancy.

Gracius Maximus:
To me, and I apologize if I am misreading, this implies that there is a hierarchy in TNP regarding Justice and AG. While it might be true in some RL systems, I do not see the natural progression of roles to be AG's Office to bench. Having served on both on multiple occasions, as you have, I can say that the roles are very different
Not at all. I was just curious, and I agree the roles are different. Furthermore, your other statement also rings true:
Gracius Maximus:
A very large percentage of nations serving on the Court over the past few years have indeed cut their teeth within the AG's Office.
Thanks for your response Tomb. A follow-up question:

Delay tactics and obfuscation are standard tools of some defense attorneys in NS. The numerous attempts to convict JAL are prime examples. I believe it'll require patience and focus to remain on point. However, I also believe the ability to adjust on the fly when the need arises is useful. So..

Do you feel you can identify and adjust to situations that may be detrimental to your case, and make the necessary adjustments? Or do you keep to the script?

Thank you, Andrew! Falapatorius, I'll be answering your follow up in about 45ish minutes, when I will have better internet coverage.

You are accused of heresy on three counts -- heresy by thought, heresy by word, heresy by deed, and heresy by action- FOUR counts.

Do you confess?

Back