Oceans and Waterways Naming

Yrkidding

TNPer
-
We've decided in a previous convention the name of the world, Eras. The next level down is continents and oceans/waterways.

First off, the latest map for reference: http://i.imgur.com/4GLpIhd.png And latest physical map for reference: https://jumpshare.com/v/ENgvZkyW3bnza78J7NKt
Please note that the physical map is more out of date than the political one.

Second, we need to define the "borders" of these waterways. If Nierr has taken this into account in his physical map creations I think we should listen to his suggestions first.

Third, we need to agree on a system of naming these waterways. The obvious would be the majority of nations who hold significant shoreline (I.E. an isolated island probably shouldn't grant that nations voting rights) voting for a name, but there's other methods worth trying.

Finally, name proposals can be put here as well.

Thoughts on all of the above are encouraged.

EDIT: As far as straits go, I think that's something that can be solved unanimously between the nations that share it if there's only 2 or 3, such as the Archlancer straits. If there isn't a unanimous decision among a greater number of nations then probably majority vote method? IRV?

Other Reference Links:
Oceans, Seas and Straits of The North Pacific: Naming Convention

I believe Phoenix Strait should be seriously considered for the Syrixian-Guslant strait as it has already been agreed on by us at the old naming convention.

Bootsie:
I believe Phoenix Strait should be seriously considered for the Syrixian-Guslant strait as it has already been agreed on by us at the old naming convention.
:agree:

The large bay where SS and IA are has local names and we'll be coming out with a new name as a result of our ongoing RP.

If I recall correctly, the SS name for that area is the Bay of Tranquility. But that's not anything official.

The strait between Wolfsea and the Vazosian archipelago was previously named the Strait of the Lynx due to a bit of Darcanian history which is, of course, no longer applicable.

I'm open to suggestions from Wolfsea as to a name for this strait.

We could call Sea I the Splendid Sea because I think it's pretty splendid.

:fish:

Or a better name: The Roaring Sea.

From the previous thread to use as fodder.

MAP

- Ocean II: Northern Ocean
- Ocean III: Eastern Ocean
- Ocean IV: Southern Ocean

- Sea III: Dagon Sea
- Sea IV: Haven Sea

- Strait C: Raven Pass
- Strait D: Basatan Pass
- Strait E: Phoenix Strait
- Strait F: Glasswater Channel

North Strait by Imperium Augustum (facing Sea III): Fretum Uxoris
South Strait by Imperium Augustum (facing Sea IV): Fretum Viri

- Southern Archlancer Strait (between Archegnum and The Lancerian Empire)
- Northern Archlancer Strait (between The Lancerian Empire and New Haven America)

I just pulled the latest list from there to work forward from... Sea III could be called the Nebulan Hegemony Zone if there are no objections.

Ceretis:
I just pulled the latest list from there to work forward from... Sea III could be called the Nebulan Hegemony Zone if there are no objections.
The fact that you submitted that in a serious, non-joking manner is hilarious. :rofl: I object.

Ceretis:
No objections here. :pinch:

Syrixia:
Ceretis:
The fact that you submitted that in a serious, non-joking manner is hilarious. :rofl: I object.
Nebula:
Ceretis:
No objections here. :pinch:
Wondered if you two would say anything about that. :D

I am just going to restate my earlier position, no just no, especially for straits, rivers, and etc. These are things that are never agreed upon by countries.

My favorite example of this is what westerners call the South China Sea which in reality has like a dozen different regional names depending on where you live. Hell in this map I could see nations even disputing over the borders between different oceans and seas.

Hell on that map "Strait D" will always be called the Ilian Grand Sea, due to their control over its trade routes and its power in the area.

Ceretis:

MAP
I have issues with this map.

For me, when I was making it, I considered Sea IV and Straits C and D (and to a latter extent F) to all be part of what I at the time called informally the Central Sea. Obviously with the creation of the new continents that shifted this sea out to the East, but it is, in my view, one sea.

Similarly, Seas I and II, and Straits A and B could be considered to be part of one sea, especially as the world is smaller than we think. GBM's claim, remember, is only marginally larger than the real life nation of Peru, and thus the landmasses within that area are as much islands as they are continents.

Sea III is actually more of a gulf, similar to the Bay of Biscay or the Mexican Gulf.

Oceans I through IV can all be said to be part of a larger Ocean Pacifica, as we share a plane with at least TEP and TSP.

Nierr:
Ceretis:

MAP
I have issues with this map.

For me, when I was making it, I considered Sea IV and Straits C and D (and to a latter extent F) to all be part of what I at the time called informally the Central Sea. Obviously with the creation of the new continents that shifted this sea out to the East, but it is, in my view, one sea.

Similarly, Seas I and II, and Straits A and B could be considered to be part of one sea, especially as the world is smaller than we think. GBM's claim, remember, is only marginally larger than the real life nation of Peru, and thus the landmasses within that area are as much islands as they are continents.

Sea III is actually more of a gulf, similar to the Bay of Biscay or the Mexican Gulf.

Oceans I through IV can all be said to be part of a larger Ocean Pacifica, as we share a plane with at least TEP and TSP.
We are roleplaying on a different planet. The people on that planet have no idea of what Earth is and what its standards of geography are. What is the size of a strait for us could well be a sea for Erasians, because their planet is much smaller than our own.

We are looking at this from the perspective of a Terran human. We must look at it from the perspective of an Erasian human.

Syrixia:
We are roleplaying on a different planet. The people on that planet have no idea of what Earth is and what its standards of geography are. What is the size of a strait for us could well be a sea for Erasians, because their planet is much smaller than our own.

We are looking at this from the perspective of a Terran human. We must look at it from the perspective of an Erasian human.
Using this logic I think we should all start calling every body of water a thimble. Cuz you know other planet ignoring our sense of logic, so why the hell not.

Syrixia:

A planet we share with at least two other regions - at least, that's how I imagined it when I made the fucking map.

We are not changing the standards of geography to fit you or anyone else. That is dumb and overly complicated in the extreme.

Myroria:
Not to be off-topic, but if Eras is really as small as the map scale the gravity should be vastly reduced and the atmosphere thinner.
Perhaps the solution, then, is to make Eras earth-sized. This'd solve a number of problems, such as the sea problem and the population density problems a few nations have. Plus, we'd be able to use our knowledge of Earth's size and the data corresponding to it, as well as our perspectives on these (as we live on Earth) to our advantage.

Nierr:
The map scale will not be changing.
Then we're going to have to deal with these problems; unless someone else comes up with another solution.

As far as I understand the map, there should be no problem. Our map is TNP, there are other regions outside out map that exist on Eras. Therefore Eras is not some dwarf planet. It's like saying we should adjust the scale of the map of the Pacific so Earth's gravity works out OK without considering the rest of the Earth. The map scale isn't a problem, just picture a few other maps surrounding our map.

Kannex:
What difference does it make if the scale changes?
If the map scale changes, the size of the world does also.

It is currently 1 pixel to 4km squared.

In the end the map is the map is the map. If the idea is to link it to the other Pacifics that's fine with me.

I'm not overly concerned with the scale; it was just something I noted. I'm sorry to harp on the issue.

Nierr:
Kannex:
What difference does it make if the scale changes?
If the map scale changes, the size of the world does also.

It is currently 1 pixel to 4km squared.
That doesn't seem too bad. A handwavium could suffice for all the physics hijinks that result, like change in mass and gravity of the planet or whatnot.

Do you adjust for the rectangular projection of the map?

Syrixia:

Syrixia:
Myroria:
Not to be off-topic, but if Eras is really as small as the map scale the gravity should be vastly reduced and the atmosphere thinner.
Perhaps the solution, then, is to make Eras earth-sized. This'd solve a number of problems, such as the sea problem and the population density problems a few nations have. Plus, we'd be able to use our knowledge of Earth's size and the data corresponding to it, as well as our perspectives on these (as we live on Earth) to our advantage.
Stop trying to enforce your Syrixicentric naming conventions on the rest of us![note]Seriously, the idea that there is ONE TRUE NAME is completely flawed in a couple of different ways. First of all, our planet doesn't have a "proper name" - it's called "earth" because that's what it's made of. So unless in Syrixian "Eras" means "earth/soil/land/etc", it's nonsensical to call it that at all. It's an arbitrary choice, which is fine, but you can't claim arbitrary choices have any sort of significance for the rest of us.

Secondly, the english convention of calling it "earth" after our own word for land in our own language doesn't make that particular word special or unique even when we capitalize it. Each language has its own word for earth-meaning-land, and accordingly has its own word for earth-meaning-planet. In Italian, it's "la Terra"; in Arabic, it's al-'arD.

In SillyString, the TNP planet is Ao.
[/note]

SillyString:
Syrixia:

Syrixia:
Myroria:
Stop trying to enforce your Syrixicentric naming conventions on the rest of us!Seriously, the idea that there is ONE TRUE NAME is completely flawed in a couple of different ways. First of all, our planet doesn't have a "proper name" - it's called "earth" because that's what it's made of. So unless in Syrixian "Eras" means "earth/soil/land/etc", it's nonsensical to call it that at all. It's an arbitrary choice, which is fine, but you can't claim arbitrary choices have any sort of significance for the rest of us.

Secondly, the english convention of calling it "earth" after our own word for land in our own language doesn't make that particular word special or unique even when we capitalize it. Each language has its own word for earth-meaning-land, and accordingly has its own word for earth-meaning-planet. In Italian, it's "la Terra"; in Arabic, it's al-'arD.

In SillyString, the TNP planet is Ao.
Do you really see nothing wrong with shouting at someone for using a certain name for the planet and then saying it should be fine for everyone to use their names for the planet?

At any rate, the majority of the RPers here took to using Eras after the sci-fi thing developed; it's caught on.

They took to using Eras after we decided via poll to. In the sci fi thing it was Eve.

Nierr:
They took to using Eras after we decided via poll to.
That's true, there was a poll available to everyone to determine a name for the planet, having said that there is a variety of local names for earth throughout a variety of different languages.

Of course. It's never been the intention of this convention to force everyone to use one name to refer to something.

What it is for, however, is to establish some geographic norms that could go on the map, such as in real life. The Mediterranean Sea is known by many names, but the most common in use - in English anyway, is the Mediterranean. This is what I'd like to establish as well and I want the communities input on that.

Kannex:
Do you really see nothing wrong with shouting at someone for using a certain name for the planet and then saying it should be fine for everyone to use their names for the planet?
Do you really fail to recognize sarcasm used in order to make a point?

Vazos:
Kannex:
"Eras" is called so through voluntary popular convention. What part of that do you have trouble understanding?

Kannex:
Vazos:
Kannex:
"Eras" is called so through voluntary popular convention. What part of that do you have trouble understanding?
The part where we all have to refer to Ao as Eras all the time or face being yelled at or scolded for failing to conform to something which is unrealistic in its entirety.

Back