Urban Fantasy Proposal

Honestly, I like the idea of the Masquerade personally, even if Imperium won't be contributing that directly.

Also, I do think it's a good alternative map - I just don't like it. I'm a fan of more broken up maps - more continents and islands and the like. Never been a fan of supercontinents, meself.

The Grim Reaper:
Also, I do think it's a good alternative map - I just don't like it. I'm a fan of more broken up maps - more continents and islands and the like. Never been a fan of supercontinents, meself.
Yeah, I feel similar - Syrixia, any chance you'd be willing to archipelagify it a bit?

Updated proposal

Urban Fantasy Proposal:
The Universe

The supernatural is no longer just a legend. Magic of many forms exists. Creatures from mythology and man’s darkest nightmares prowl the face of The North Pacific.

The spirit realm, called the Nevernever to its inhabitants, was born of the thoughts and imaginations and sheer will from the collective mind of humanity. Many inhuman creatures, both malevolent and benevolent, whose motivations and wills are nigh unsearchable to the human mind.

Whether you are an underground or secret supernatural society existing in the confines of a current nation, or a supernatural nation unto itself, this is the Universe in which you live.

Mechanics

Whether one gains power from nature or from within themselves, magic has its origin in Life, the Life of all creation, from plants, animals, and sentients. With that the case, all people can perform some type of magic, but using it requires a force of will that only occurs naturally in few people; however, through diligent study and extremely laborious training, one can attune their wills to use magic. All people regardless of training could perform very basic things, like closing a circle or participating in ritual, if there is True Belief, but only those whose wills are attuned to magic, whether naturally or through training, can use the more advanced forms, and of course, of those, power level distribution is similar to a bell curve: most people average, some extremely powerful, some..not so powerful. Of a normal human society, only a small percentage would be born that would naturally have the willpower to channel and use magic; however, this percentage can be raised based on how central their particular form of magic is to a society.

Belief is a powerful force, but to invoke that Belief, you must actually Believe in it. For example, an atheist or a Jew would not be able to use a symbol of the cross to deter certain types of evil because there is no True Belief in what that symbol represents.

In the realm of the divine, various gods exist and have existed and no longer exist. Gods generally receive power based on the belief in them. If all worship of them stops and they are completely forgotten, then they cease to exist. Player Character gods are restricted to weak or low gods, unless there is a general agreement of the direction in which the storyline would be moving while using a more mainline or powerful god.

Everything must have a weakness. Supernatural creatures will all have weaknesses, and so too, will magic. Magic should be treated as a tool, not as an all-powerful sledgehammer. Magic cannot break the laws of physics. Magic always comes at a price, and that price is generally taken in your personal energy. If the magic is difficult to control or you are using a powerful spell, it will take a huge toll on you personally. Expend all of your energy, and you risk killing yourself with it. When crossing into societies with different beliefs concerning magic, your magic will be weakened; however, it will never fully depart because of the common origin of magic.

What exactly does the poll mean by 'masquerade' and dopes this mean I can't have Blooplemumps ;-;

Masquerade means that your particular supernatural community is operating in secret from the normal community, whether it is existing within the borders of an established nation, or is a nation unto itself operating in secrecy to all but the supernatural community.

I could see my idea for a nation being in a temperate rainforest or taiga, perhaps behind some sort of hex or in a bubble that prevents non-supernatural people from stumbling onto it. I think that would work for a masquerade setting, if that's what we're going for.

Grimalkin:
Masquerade means that your particular supernatural community is operating in secret from the normal community, whether it is existing within the borders of an established nation, or is a nation unto itself operating in secrecy to all but the supernatural community.
:|
I don't think Blooplemumps would be very secret, a forested region with few residence, who only live in small hamlets or as hermits, with JRPG Starter Zone characters, ie slimes.

Alas, planning in the bin it seems.

<@Myroria> I'm fine with a concealed world
<@Myroria> I might have my biomagic nation just exist in a deep temperate rainforest
<@Eluvatar> oh you posted
<@Agamemnon> Considering will is necessary for the using of magic... :P
<@Eluvatar> Agamemnon, I think you misunderstand me
<@Agamemnon> Probably, Elu.
<@Eluvatar> basically, the practitioners in Eluvataran Isles they don't do formal spells as such
<@Eluvatar> They do not have a discrete repertoire of effects they can spontaneously cause
<@Eluvatar> The closest they can get to that is the crafting of objects with supernatural properties
<@Agamemnon> Well when I think about how magic works, I see magic as a force that must be manipulated to create the desire effect. The will of the user primarily does this with the various forms and methods helping the user to focus their will into what they want to acheive.
<@Agamemnon> Does that...help at all?
<@Eluvatar> Right, what I'm saying is I want to be able to have subtly different magical systems
<@Agamemnon> In what way?
<@Eluvatar> So suppose two mages, a standard Wizard and a practitioner from the isles, need to break through a door.
<@Agamemnon> Mhm
<@Eluvatar> A standard Wizard might utter an invocation which focuses their mind on a carefully prepared command to kinetically shove the bolt out of the way
<@Agamemnon> Okay.
<@Eluvatar> A practitioner from Eluvataran Isles would focus their will on getting to the other side of the door, and if they have a strong enough force of will, and focus in the correct manner, the door becomes unlocked.
<@Eluvatar> But for such a practitioner, willing a door unlocked is _extraordinarily_ difficult
<@Agamemnon> So rather than focusing on the problem, you focus on the result you are trying to acheive.
<@Eluvatar> and you can't really predict how it's going to happen, even
<@Eluvatar> there are known situations where, as the result will tend to be minimalist, you can easily fuck it up badly
<@Eluvatar> (if any result at all)
<@Eluvatar> Hence they tend to prefer enchantments of things or places, which are more or less predictable
<@Agamemnon> So, if I'm understanding, since your focus is really on what you are trying to acheive, rather than, strictly speaking, focusing on the obstacle or the problem, the solution to the problem is out of the practitioner's hands.
<@Eluvatar> That is one difference I'm highlighting yes
<@Agamemnon> So in the same example with the door, your practitioner could have just as easily blown the door off the hinges in a spectacular mess rather than simply unlocking it.
<@Eluvatar> i.e. if that was lower-energy, yes
<@Agamemnon> And which one happens, strictly speaking, is almost out of their control.
<@Gulliver> So it's procedural versus declarative casting
<@Eluvatar> So such a practitioner would prefer making a Skeleton Key
<@Eluvatar> to directly trying to unlock doors
<@Eluvatar> even though making a Skeleton Key would take them a considerable investment of effort and possibly carry a permanent cost
* Agamemnon hms and thinks
<@Agamemnon> So give me an example of how this might work should the Eluvataran be forced into a combat situation.
<@Eluvatar> With what sort of threat?
<@Agamemnon> I like the old vampire standby.
<@Agamemnon> Say a vampire is threatening to rip your throat out.
<@Sak> o-o
<@Eluvatar> So they would prefer to use an enchanted object, i.e. a sanctified token, to ward it away
<@Eluvatar> Or some sort of phial of sanctified light
<@Eluvatar> But in the absence of something that would be applicable, a sufficiently potent practitioner would perhaps seek to designate their immediate surroundings as sanctified against Vampires.
<@Agamemnon> But the token would still be subject to True Belief, yes?
<@Agamemnon> Oh, a magical sanctification
<@Eluvatar> Ye-es
<@Eluvatar> It's a little subtle in that case
<@Eluvatar> The Eluvataran religion gets a little vague in some ways
<@Agamemnon> Because the belief is more in the sanctification than the token itself?
<@Eluvatar> The token need not be a holy symbol in this example
<@Eluvatar> They would have had to specifically imbue the item with their intent for it to be sanctified, as part of its crafting
<@Eluvatar> with possibly some special ingredients to make it stick
* Agamemnon nods
<@Agamemnon> I think I understand.
<@Agamemnon> How would he fight a faerie creature, like.. a troll.
<@Eluvatar> Generally speaking the overall strategy would be to use nature against it (if it has a natural weakness of some kind)
<@Eluvatar> i.e. petrifying sunlight if it's that kind of troll
<@Eluvatar> or an iron rod if that's the appropriate thing
<@Agamemnon> With a faerie troll would be weak to iron (and extreme heat if it's a Winter Court troll)
<@Eluvatar> But if a supernatural enemy has no natural weaknesses, as such, a sufficiently potent practitioner would prefer to craft a weapon which is this-enemy-bane
<@Agamemnon> I think it'd work fine, Elu. There's sufficient balance built into your system, plus I don't think it contradicts at all the system I've proposed.
<@Agamemnon> The basic of it is still the same: using will power to control magic to a specific end, though you go about it a slightly different way than normal.
<@Eluvatar> Yeah I was hoping there was enough in common for it to be in the same realm of possibility
<@Agamemnon> (With the potential for some hilarity to ensue.)
<@Eluvatar> -- If lacking that opportunity, they would have more limited options, such as the direct imposition of luck manipulation through brute application of willpower, or using something that can start fires to try to make more aggressive fire (with again, brute application of willpower).
<@Agamemnon> I just had this vision of an Eluvataran practitioner and a Wizard trying to be stealthy in a siege and offers to unlock the door with magic and subsequently blows the entire operation with the ensuing result. :P
<@Eluvatar> Something like a fireball or a lighting bolt would be /exceedingly/ uncommon coming from Eluvataran practitioners
<@Eluvatar> That would be quite the muck-up

I think I'll go for a more conan-style mentality of Wolfsea but with magic-enhanced technology (e.g. thunder-elemental energy/crystals used to power machines instead of batteries) but normal magic is extremely uncommon. Was also thinking Magitech wouldn't suffer losing it's potency in other lands but instead it drains the crystals far quicker (e.g. a Thunder Cannon has the same destructive power but instead of getting 15 shots per crystal it's reduce to about 4 or a mech-golem which has a 16 hour charge only lasts about 3 hours)

I think I'll go for a more conan-style mentality of Wolfsea but with magic-powered technology (e.g. thunder-elemental energy/crystals used to power machines instead of batteries) but people who can actually use normal magic are extremely uncommon. Was also thinking Magitech wouldn't suffer losing it's potency in other lands but instead it drains the crystals far quicker (e.g. a Thunder Cannon has the same destructive power but instead of getting 15 shots per crystal it's reduce to about 4 or a mech-golem which has a 16 hour charge only lasts about 3 hours)

Also we dabble with the undead so we do have Ghouls, basically I'm planning to be a bit of a bad guy in this world.

I was wondering if I could get some clarification. Is this a straight up parallel universe where magic exists? Is magic well-known with magic being commonplace and not unusual or does it hide in the shadows in this setting? Could I, for example, be a people where the vast majority of the population practices minor magic openly and as part of their society and teachings?

Yrkidding:
I was wondering if I could get some clarification. Is this a straight up parallel universe where magic exists? Is magic well-known with magic being commonplace and not unusual or does it hide in the shadows in this setting? Could I, for example, be a people where the vast majority of the population practices minor magic openly and as part of their society and teachings?
Magic is commonplace, but technically the answer is both. Say, if your government decides to repress magic it may work in the shadows.

Either way. You could play a magical population in your established nation that exists in the shadows, or they could be open, or you could make a nation unto itself. Its parallel in that it exists the main universe, but magic and the supernatural, as a whole, is secret to the world at large.

Syrixia:
SZoKHx4.png
Interested. (I kinda feel like having magic in my area be based of of Type-Moon mechanics)

Also, Syrixia, you watch Alternate History Hub too?

New Haven:
Also, Syrixia, you watch Alternate History Hub too?
Shhhhhhhh...

Omg the map is totally original guysh letsh ush it!!!!!!1!!!1!1!!!1!!!111

SillyString:
The Grim Reaper:
Yeah, I feel similar - Syrixia, any chance you'd be willing to archipelagify it a bit?
Oh, of course. That'll be out tomorrow.

SillyString:
Great! I'd also still love to know the answer to this:
SillyString:
Syrixia, what is the scale of your map?
Since I'm lazy let's say it's the scale of TNP's.

Also, I made the map, like, more awesome.

atlas.png

Also its thy, not thine, in this instance.

Also I'm pretty sure if we're going for a new map - poll is even atm - the planet wouldn't also be called Eris...

It's actually bow 7 to 8 in favor of the new map. So, it could be a thing.

As for the planet being called Eris, that's just dumb. I'd suggest the old name, Eve, for the fantasy world. It sounds fantasy-y.

So it seems like we're going for a new fantasy map for this, which is cool and stuff. I'd like to propose an alternative to Syrixia's map, and that is this.

I'd also like to point out a potentially alternative route to us each just rping our nations 'but with magic and ting' (or we could do it alongside our own nations) and that's by having some or even just a few pre-set nations on the map. For example, the map I've linked already has a claim on it, which in my imagining is the remnants of a former human Empire that held much of the three landmasses it currently has land on, but gradually declined. It is violently xenophobic against other species, which leads to frequent clashes to a nation of dwarves which dwells in the mountain range the Remnant holds part of.

Just an idea, and obviously I'm welcome to feedback and suggestions.

This sounds cool and I can't wait to read what you guys come up with, but I'm out because I'm in the middle of writing my own fantasy novel.

I think we don't need NPC nations. We should be able to choose which races we play as and include. For example, I could just as easily have a nation of dwarves as I could have a yogi swami Indian empire thing.

Also, I'd like to suggest that we RP this in a true fantasy setting. I find that it's easier to write, and plus modern tech + fantasy world = a bit of a conflict of interest.

We could strike a balance between the two camps by having a magical universe only accessible by travel from the main universe, where the magical community there exists behind a masquerade.

Personally, a modern fantasy setting would jive better with my preferences for the Mycorrhizal Union.

I agree with Myro. Something along the line of magical gates, a path to Eras from the Fantasy World.

Syrixia:
I think we don't need NPC nations. We should be able to choose which races we play as and include. For example, I could just as easily have a nation of dwarves as I could have a yogi swami Indian empire thing.

Also, I'd like to suggest that we RP this in a true fantasy setting. I find that it's easier to write, and plus modern tech + fantasy world = a bit of a conflict of interest.
Half the intrigue of the urban fantasy genre is the fact that the modern tech and fantasy mash-up seems at first glance out of place, but works very well together if done right. Urban Fantasy presents many opportunities that just don't really exist in a true fantasy setting.

Grimalkin:
Syrixia:

Half the intrigue of the urban fantasy genre is the fact that the modern tech and fantasy mash-up seems at first glance out of place, but works very well together if done right. Urban Fantasy presents many opportunities that just don't really exist in a true fantasy setting.
It just doesn't provide the same appeal to most. A traditional fantasy world, w/o modern tech, will go much farther amongst the masses.

Will it? All I see is you wanting that... everyone else is either for the modern setting or doesn't mind...

Well, if everyone feels what you say, then I withdraw my argument; but I'm still a bit wary. Let's see how this goes.

Modern setting for me. I like what I had in mind with the Unseelie Accords thread and want to pursue it further. I do like what mj has done with The Secret City, though, and would love to see those two things merge somehow.

That brings back the topic of Siren City. I just had an idea for an RP. Say a group of characters from different nations all hear about the mysterious Siren City and decide to investigate, winding up in the Urban Fantasy World?

I think that having the technology around the 1930's would honestly be the coolest, because that means STEAMPUNK. Everyone loves STEAMPUNK

Back