The Speaker's Desk

After some consideration, I am standing down as Deputy Speaker to focus on my work in Foreign Affairs.
Thank you for your work in the Office during this and last term. The schedule has been updated to reflect this change.

Last edited:
Hello Sir,
Can you explain me the basics of this forum and of your responsibility
Alright, so the Regional Assembly (RA) is TNP's legislative body. Citizens (like you and me) are eligible to vote on legislative proposals (e.g., The Incorporated Run Pact) and other motions (e.g., confirmation of Election Commissioners). The RA is supervised by the Speaker's Office, the responsibilities of which include checking citizen applications, running activity checks on existing citizens (since you lose citizenship if you fail to post on the forum or RMB for 30 days), maintaining the citizen registry, overseeing votes, and ensuring the RA rules are being followed. The Speaker is an elected position on a four-month term. You can find the results of the last election here. Deputy Speakers are appointed by the Speaker, and assist the Speaker in running the office.

spk_seal.png

New Speaker Term
Hello, I won the election. I'd like to start by thanking everyone who voted for me, and offer my commiserations to @Lady Raven Wing and @Comfed. If either of you would like a place in the office this term, you have but to ask, I'd love to have you aboard. I'd also like to extend congratulations to the other successful, @TlomzKrano and @Dreadton, and wish you both luck in your new roles. And with @Cretox State being appointed to a ministerial role, I'd like to offer them my best wishes. If you bring to the Ministry the same application and competency your term will be an amazing success.

And as for this term - I said in my platform that the goal is to keep things ticking over, to continue to improve our systems and procedures and make sure we're processing checks and applications in an accurate and timely manner. With that in mind, I intend to appoint a large number of deputies for this term. Carrying over from the last term, @Robespierre and @Bobberino will provide experience and continuity in the office. However, the team will always be open for those interesting in learning and contributing to the office.

So here's to another great term - and hopefully one with less court cases, eh? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
spk_seal.png

Speakers Update 1: We done did an audit
By which I mean, the office today undertook it's first audit of the citizenship and residency groups and sheet and corrected the discrepancies we found. Overwhelmingly, these discrepancies were related to the residents group and sheet, so we are re-focussing going forward, to put more emphasis and attention on ensuring this sheet and group is fully up to date, and the two rolls match. Below you'll find the full changes made today in a spoiler.
Removed A Die from Cits and moved to Residents
Removed DerTyp from Cits and moved to residents
Removed John Mikaelson from Citizenship group
Added Alfonen to citizenship sheet
Added ABC to residents group
Removed Aprenencia from Residents Group
Removed Arbor Marshes from Residents Group
Removed Bosako from the residents group
Removed Capreadonia from residents group
Removed Cown Defore from Residents Group
Added Centromuria to residents sheet
Removed donaldchuity from residents group
Added Elbmurcs to residents sheet
Removed elsebasss from residents group
Added Flemingovia to residents group
Added Florida Palms to residents sheet
Removed FluffySquirrel from residents group
Added Free HK to residents groups
Added Generalissimo Biggs to residents groups
Added Ghjkl63 to residents sheet
Added Heloonia to the residents sheet
Removed Il Distruttore from residents group
Added Induna to residents sheet
Removed Inquela from residents group
Added JudahBear to residents sheet
Removed Kahlo from residents group
Added Kialga to residents group
Added King JaMeSON X to residents sheet
Removed Lavendar To from residents group
Added Litanya to residents group
Added Malomae to reisdents sheet
Removed Miamington from residents group
Added Mitsuha to residents group
Removed Nathan from residents group
Removed Neuronic from residents group
Added New Dice to residents group
Removed north harmoneia from residents group
Removed Okoeborfrancis from residents group
Removed Olofin from residents group
Added Pesoa to residents group
Added Poteto Union to residents group
Removed Preuze from residents group
Removed RagingSnail from residents group
Added Recuecn to residents sheet
Added Rhodes to residents group
Removed Rwekaza66mixxland from residents group
Removed Sam Quint from residents group
Added samo123 to Residents group
Removed Sasten from residents group
Added Scorch to residents sheet
Added Sopo to residents sheet
Removed Swindenland from residents sheet
Added Tanush to residents sheet
Removed TheCrackDens from the residents group
Removed Thnationofthesun from the residents group
Removed Thorhalla from residents group
Removed Trier from residents group
Added UnShleepd to the residents group
Removed zenaguria from residents group
In other Speakers Office news, the new deputies are settling in and will be up and running as fully trained and ready members of the Office by the end of the month, and by that time at least one new deputy will have also joined the team - just gotta wait for some of their other commitments to resolve themselves. As always, if anyone is interested in joining the office and helping out and learning what we do, then feel free to contact me via forum or discord dms.

In terms of activity within the Regional Assembly itself, some may have noticed a change from last terms has been carried over into this one and applied in a wider manner - We are moving back to a system where appointments and confirmations are done via a motion, and not a ballot. The Office believes this is a more professional and parliamentary way of doing things. We will also be acting to help authors ensure legislative proposals have enacting language to actually make sure they take effect, those wanting an example of what this means should look at this topic from former Speaker Crushing Our Enemies.

These updates are not something I spoke about during my election campaign, but I believe we can commit the office to doing these at least one a month during the term. As always the Office welcomes commentary, feedback and questions on how we do things.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are moving back to a system where appointments and confirmations are done via a motion, and not a ballot. The Office believes this is a more professional and parliamentary way of doing things. We will also be acting to help authors ensure legislative proposals have enacting language to actually make sure they take effect, those wanting an example of what this means should look at this topic from former Speaker Crushing Our Enemies.
Hear, hear!

Hey-o - here comes a schedule for checks, in place from Monday:
MondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturdaySunday
Robespierre and MadJack (lead)Robespierre (lead) and MadJackRobespierre (lead) and MadJackBobberino (lead) and MadJackMadJack (lead) and Lady Raven WingBobberino and Comfed (lead)Lady Raven Wing (lead) and Comfed

Last edited:
Just a note - the Speakers Office will not be processing Wonderess's citizenship application. It will be left to go the full 14 days allowed by law. I am fully aware of the potential consequences of this action.

Last edited:
Just a note - the Speakers Office will not be processing Wonderess's citizenship application. It will be left to go the full 14 days allowed by law. I am fully aware of the potential consequences of this action.
As a private citizen and not as Deputy Speaker, why?

The Speakers Check is an endorsement of a potential citizens application. It would be to the detriment of the office, the Regional Assembly and to TNP to endorse the application of someone who would happily malign, exclude and discriminate against people based on their sexuality or other innate characteristics.

The law states after 14 days an application passes if it is not yet checked. It can wait until then.

Mr. Speaker, I would like to remind you that by refusing to process the application at this particular time, as we are in an election cycle, you are in fact deciding unilaterally to prevent someone seeking the right to vote from becoming eligible and using your own personal beliefs to justify it. Wonderess's beliefs may disgust you, but for you to take advantage of your office to disenfranchise another is heinous as well. If you do not wish to process the application, then at least allow your deputies to do so.

It's unfortunate that Wonderess's poor timing has worked against him here. Be assured that the Office would take this stand no matter when it was. My decision is unchanged and I remain aware of the potential consequences of it.

Last edited:
Have you instructed your deputies to join you in breaking their oaths and the laws of the region?

Have you instructed your deputies to join you in breaking their oaths and the laws of the region?
You are free to seek my recall if you believe I have broken my oath and the laws of the region - or to pursue a criminal case against me.

My deputies have been instructed to act in accordance with the statement I made saying the Office will not be processing Wonderess' application. Beyond that, they are free to act as they wish, including questioning the decision publicly, stating their disagreement with the decision and taking further action up to and including resigning from the Office. If they choose to do so, they go hopefully knowing that I wish them all the best, and they have my endorsement and support in any future endeavours they undertake.

It's certainly an interesting request for review. I do not see much of a need for myself to submit a brief opposed or in favour of any position.

It appears that rather than speak to me directly about it, some people are instead using this as an opportunity to say things about me that I cannot currently respond to. Let me lay out where I'm out and hopefully dispel some misconceptions:
  1. This is very much not about the election. Frankly, I don't care who wins, don't care who runs and don't care who Wonderess - or anyone else - will or would be voting for. I plan to abstain if I vote at all.
  2. I am 'corrupt' for taking this action. Now the way I measure corruption is that for something to qualify as corruption, I would have to gain something from it - I'm not sure what I personally gain from this. Is there a sense of satisfaction from not processing someone's application? No, not really. Does it make me more likely to win re-election, or enhance my standing in the region? I think public reaction to this move shows it isn't the case. I foresaw the reaction, and whilst I'm not exactly enjoying myself, it's nice to be in the thick of things I guess.
  3. The idea that I have broken the laws or my oath of office in taking this move. I don't believe I have but if I have, I wouldn't be the first government official to have nor will I be the last. Hell, declassification still isn't happening and there's probably a good 2 or 3 r4rs or court cases one could make out of Z-Day. I'd rather not spend my time doing that. Either way, if people believe I have broken my oath or a law then you know where the courts are and you can seek my recall in these very halls.
  4. This is due to a dispute I have with Wonderess. Well, yeah. I have a dispute with how Wonderess acts, the things he says and what he does when in positions of power. I believe that TNP is better off without him. But I'm not the Vice Delegate. I don't have the power or the authority to reject his application for anything other than: a missing or incomplete oath or application, or by listing a nation not in TNP or one that doesn't exist. That's the extent of my ability to deny an application, beyond rejecting applications that fail the Vice Delegates or Admin Checks. However the law states that should an application not be processed within 14 days, the applicant automatically becomes a citizen. As I view an affirmative Speakers Check as an endorsement of an applicant to be a citizen in good standing, I can not allow the Office to endorse someone who would act to exclude, deride or diminish people for their sexuality or other innate characteristics.
At (time=1605495060) Wonderess will become a citizen. Until otherwise directed, I will be carrying out the rest of my duties with the same dedication I have shown since entering the Office.

Last edited:
My deputies have been instructed to act in accordance with the statement I made saying the Office will not be processing Wonderess' application. Beyond that, they are free to act as they wish, including questioning the decision publicly, stating their disagreement with the decision and taking further action up to and including resigning from the Office. If they choose to do so, they go hopefully knowing that I wish them all the best, and they have my endorsement and support in any future endeavours they undertake.

Are there consequences should a deputy go ahead and process the application? If so, what are they?

Are there consequences should a deputy go ahead and process the application? If so, what are they?
This is the one thing I did not have an answer for when I decided to take this course of action. And I'll be honest, I am still undecided on this. And without wanting to encourage anyone to 'call my bluff' so to speak, there are not very many options available to me should one of my deputies decide to. If it should come to that, I will try to operate in the same good faith that they are doing what they feel is right, just and required that I would hope they also consider myself to be operating in.

Per the Standing Procedures, I am appointing @Bobberino as Acting Speaker should one be needed. If he is unavailable at any point, it is my wish that @Robespierre be Acting Speaker.

The Speaker may, at any time, designate a Deputy Speaker to serve as Acting Speaker in the case of a vacancy or absence in the office of Speaker. The Speaker may change this designate at any time.

spk_seal.png

Speakers Update 1: We done did an audit
By which I mean, the office today undertook it's first audit of the citizenship and residency groups and sheet and corrected the discrepancies we found. Overwhelmingly, these discrepancies were related to the residents group and sheet, so we are re-focussing going forward, to put more emphasis and attention on ensuring this sheet and group is fully up to date, and the two rolls match. Below you'll find the full changes made today in a spoiler.
Removed A Die from Cits and moved to Residents
Removed DerTyp from Cits and moved to residents
Removed John Mikaelson from Citizenship group
Added Alfonen to citizenship sheet
Added ABC to residents group
Removed Aprenencia from Residents Group
Removed Arbor Marshes from Residents Group
Removed Bosako from the residents group
Removed Capreadonia from residents group
Removed Cown Defore from Residents Group
Added Centromuria to residents sheet
Removed donaldchuity from residents group
Added Elbmurcs to residents sheet
Removed elsebasss from residents group
Added Flemingovia to residents group
Added Florida Palms to residents sheet
Removed FluffySquirrel from residents group
Added Free HK to residents groups
Added Generalissimo Biggs to residents groups
Added Ghjkl63 to residents sheet
Added Heloonia to the residents sheet
Removed Il Distruttore from residents group
Added Induna to residents sheet
Removed Inquela from residents group
Added JudahBear to residents sheet
Removed Kahlo from residents group
Added Kialga to residents group
Added King JaMeSON X to residents sheet
Removed Lavendar To from residents group
Added Litanya to residents group
Added Malomae to reisdents sheet
Removed Miamington from residents group
Added Mitsuha to residents group
Removed Nathan from residents group
Removed Neuronic from residents group
Added New Dice to residents group
Removed north harmoneia from residents group
Removed Okoeborfrancis from residents group
Removed Olofin from residents group
Added Pesoa to residents group
Added Poteto Union to residents group
Removed Preuze from residents group
Removed RagingSnail from residents group
Added Recuecn to residents sheet
Added Rhodes to residents group
Removed Rwekaza66mixxland from residents group
Removed Sam Quint from residents group
Added samo123 to Residents group
Removed Sasten from residents group
Added Scorch to residents sheet
Added Sopo to residents sheet
Removed Swindenland from residents sheet
Added Tanush to residents sheet
Removed TheCrackDens from the residents group
Removed Thnationofthesun from the residents group
Removed Thorhalla from residents group
Removed Trier from residents group
Added UnShleepd to the residents group
Removed zenaguria from residents group
In other Speakers Office news, the new deputies are settling in and will be up and running as fully trained and ready members of the Office by the end of the month, and by that time at least one new deputy will have also joined the team - just gotta wait for some of their other commitments to resolve themselves. As always, if anyone is interested in joining the office and helping out and learning what we do, then feel free to contact me via forum or discord dms.

In terms of activity within the Regional Assembly itself, some may have noticed a change from last terms has been carried over into this one and applied in a wider manner - We are moving back to a system where appointments and confirmations are done via a motion, and not a ballot. The Office believes this is a more professional and parliamentary way of doing things. We will also be acting to help authors ensure legislative proposals have enacting language to actually make sure they take effect, those wanting an example of what this means should look at this topic from former Speaker Crushing Our Enemies.

These updates are not something I spoke about during my election campaign, but I believe we can commit the office to doing these at least one a month during the term. As always the Office welcomes commentary, feedback and questions on how we do things.
spk_seal.png

Speakers Update 2: We done did another audit
So that last line was a silly commitment to make, wasn't it? Firstly, apologies for not sticking with that and doing monthly updates - I'd say there were mitigating circumstances but it's really not that difficult to write a few paragraphs about what the office has been doing, especially when so much of our work is public. Secondly, I'd like to offer a further apology for the Office being in the public eye a bit too much this term - I'm sure next term it will be fine.

Anyway, we did an audit of the groups and sheets and dotted the t's and crossed the i's and filed all the paperwork etc etc and... we're looking better than last time. There were 27 discrepancies which you can find in full here:
Added A Chinese Propaganda Bot to residents group
Removed abc from residents group
Removed Brasesco from residents group
Added BraveSirRobin to residents sheet
Added Csidoge to residents sheet
Removed East Natomes from residents group
Removed Greater Scottish State from residents group
Removed GreenTye from residents group
Removed Hackisty from residents group
Removed Imortan Empire from residents group
Removed Irvari from residents group
Added Jadedcountry to residents group
Removed Karloman from residents group
Removed Koopa103 from residents group
Removed Kurniastan from residents group
Added Mardessa to residents sheet
Removed New Volta from residents group
Added Odelinor to residents sheet
Added Oofery to residents sheet
Added Pi Sokolov to residents sheet
Added Prefsi to residents sheet
Added Roth to residents sheet
Removed spencerd123 from residents group
Added The Empire of Sirbil to residents sheet
Removed The Rhein States from residents group
Added Tringapore to residents group
Compared to the last audit, that's 20 less discrepancies and I'd very much like to thank those involved in helping the office this term with this improvement. There is still work to do, but this is a very promising foundation for the next term.

When I joined the office early last year, I think it's safe to say it wasn't being well run or maintained, but through hard work and effort we've turned it around. I'd like to thank all the deputies currently serving in the office and those who have served and left us during the two terms I've been Speaker. It's been an interesting time and I'm incredibly grateful for your contributions to the office. Whoever takes over as Speaker will be left with an office and a staff that is fit for purpose and ready to tackle any and all challenges ahead.

spk_seal.png

Office of the Speaker
-~-
Opening Address: 11 January 2021

Greetings, all!

To begin, I'd like to start off by thanking those who have supported me up until this point as I'd hoped to ascend to such high public office. To those who didn't vote for me, I maintain that your participation in the democratic process is valuable nonetheless and that your willingness to support those who you feel would best represent you is vital to the health of our democracy. Whether I was or wasn't your preferred candidate, I look forward to serving you all over the course of the next four months and I'm happy to be hearing from some of you in due time.

Additionally, I'd like to extend my best wishes to both Delegate @mcmasterdonia and Vice Delegate @Cretox State as they enjoy their victories in their respective elections. I look forward to working with each of them for the betterment of the North Pacific and I offer commiserations to both @TlomzKrano and @Bobberino as the defeated candidates who, the latter of which especially, have provided the elected candidates with a rich, competitive election experience in races that embody what strong, dynamic democracy is all about.

With the acknowledgements out of the way, this term will be characterized by a few things:

Firstly, an open door policy. As many of you will already know, my election today marks my first-ever term as Speaker of the Regional Assembly. While I already believe approachability to be a highly desirable trait in our regional leaders, it's especially important that frequent communication takes place between myself, my Office, and North Pacifican citizens considering that I am a new body in the chair. I spoke about this in my campaign, but I understand that being a first-time Speaker will come with its own unique set of challenges. Bearing that in mind, feel free to correct me when such correction is warranted and don't be afraid to reach out to me, or a Deputy of mine, and ask questions when you feel them to be neccessary.

This office will have an open door policy, as ultimately we are here for each of you and to ensure that the gears of the machine continue to turn in an efficient manner.

Secondly, activity and engagement. I talked about my desire to have checks on residency and forum/RMB activity occur on a daily basis and with the same frequency, speed, and accuracy that checks for citizenship applications do. We will begin working towards this goal from today onward and a new weekly schedule (much like the one's seen during @St George's terms) will be released for public viewing as soon as possible.

Thirdly, a continuation of the use of parliamentary language in the legislature and a preference for the usage of parliamentary standards. I, and others, have already spoken about this in the past so I'll be careful to not regale you with more speech by addressing it yet again.

The following individuals will be assisting me with my duties in the capacity of day-to-day Deputy Speakers in my Office:

I hereby appoint @Dreadton as a Deputy Speaker
Dreadton has been a continued contributor to this community in various capacities since joining it in December of 2018. As a former Deputy Speaker under @Oracle, Justice on the Court, and most recently, former Vice Delegate, I'm confident that Dreadton has the skills and the determination necessary to be an immediate influence on the entire Office as we transition to a new Speakership.

I hereby appoint @Bobberino as a Deputy Speaker
As mentioned by him before in passing conversation, Bobberino has been instrumental to the training of new Deputy Speakers and is a former Deputy Speaker in good standing who served as my opponent for the Speakership this time around. When I was asked if I would commit to having him fulfill the role of a Deputy Speaker in the office if I was to be elected, I said that I would be happy to work with him again and that holds over a week later :P Bobberino provides a sense of continuity from previous Speakerships and is a stabilizing presence in the Office.

I hereby appoint @Peeps as a Deputy Speaker
Peeps is someone who was brought into the Speaker's Office by St George/MadJack this past December, but, despite their relative newness, has already shown themselves to be loaded with potential and as someone who is very capable of contributing heavily in the future. In the interests of nurturing that potential, I asked them to continue on with their service as a Deputy Speaker and, to my delight, they accepted. New blood rising!

I hereby appoint @Kastonvia as a Deputy Speaker
Kastonvia, though also new, has been working hard to learn the duties of a Deputy Speaker and can be seen performing checks on residency and forum/RMB activity fairly often. Much like with Peeps, I see value in having them expand their resume to regional service and Kaston will be around primarily to help with progressing on my goals for checks.

I hereby appoint @lol2639 as a Deputy Speaker
lol2639, despite unknown to many, has given me the impression that they are interested in regional service, are looking to get involved, and are eager to start contributing as early as possible. Much like with Peeps and Kastonvia, it's important that we're developing new talent to push the Office forward in future terms. I'm confident that serving as a Deputy Speaker will be a great opportunity for them and will be the entry point for them in their career here.

Congratulations to you all! Please take your oaths in descending order from how I appointed you in this post.

As a closing, I can assure you this: I will always endeavour to be a public servant to all and a Speaker's Office under me will be an office that seeks to work for you -- the citizenry -- and for your interests as Regional Assembly participants in observance of a parliamentary style of governance.

Should you have any questions, comments, concerns, or other inquiries, feel free to post them in this thread at any time. Also, if you'd prefer, you’re more than welcome to confer with me via DMs on Discord regarding RA business and on an array of general clarifications that you may seek throughout the term.

In service,

Robespierre (Francois Isidore)
Speaker of the Regional Assembly

spk_seal.png

Office of the Speaker
-~-
A New Schedule: 12 January 2021

We will begin working towards this goal from today onward and a new weekly schedule (much like the one's seen during @St George's terms) will be released for public viewing as soon as possible.

True to my word, a new schedule has been drawn up that will be taking effect from today forward:

MondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturdaySunday
Kastonvia (Lead) / RobespierreRobespierre (Lead) / BobberinoDreadton (Lead) / PeepsKastonvia (Lead) / DreadtonPeeps (Lead) / Robespierrelol2639 (Lead) / KastonviaBobberino (Lead) / lol2639

All names displayed above are hyperlinked to their individual forum accounts. So, if you need a "who's who?" of the Speaker's Office, it's a simple click away.

These will serve as your primary points of contact for each day of the week should you need to speak to someone from the Speaker's Office. Alternatively, I am available everyday for contact and can easily be reached via Discord (@TheMacMilitant#1962). "Lead" denotes who is tasked with performing checks on citizenship applications, daily residency and forum/RMB activity checks, and responsible for maintaining the Citizen/Resident registry as needed. The additional name on each day (herein referred to as a "backup") is a secondary point of contact for you on any given day and is responsible for performing all of the aforementioned duties should the lead be unavailable.

This schedule will be subject to change as we progress through it during the term, but otherwise this is what we'll be operating on. Any questions? Feel free to ask

Thank you,

Robespierre (Francois Isidore)
Speaker of the Regional Assembly

Back