The Speaker's Desk

Gorundu

When in doubt, blame Bob
-
-
-
As per the taking of my oath as Minister of World Assembly Affairs, I have resigned as Speaker. @Yukkira will be Acting Speaker until the January General Election. I wish him all the best in this role.

I thought I'd reflect briefly on my short tenure. While I haven't been able to fulfill all the promises I've made during the election, the Speaker's Office and the Regional Assembly has run smoothly with proposals, votes and citizenship. Thank you, citizens of The North Pacific, for giving me the honour of serving as your Speaker. I've enjoyed my time in office.

Yukkira

TNPer

From the Speaker's Desk - Opening Address
December 8th, 2019 - Remainder

To the Region, its Assembly, and our Constituents,

It is with heartfelt joy that the Speaker's Office bids to Gorundu, farewell. Although he did not finish out the term as Speaker, him leaving to pursue even higher aspirations as the Minister of World Assembly Affairs goes to show both the talent and the ambition that he has.

We wish him both success and fortune in this new endeavor.

As for me, it is both an honor and a pleasure to serve as the Speaker to the Regional Assembly for the duration of the rest of this term. I have enjoyed working with Gorundu and Darcania, and learned much about this office under their guidance and fellowship.

With this knowledge, I promise to do my best to ensure a smooth and orderly end, to a very successful term under Delegate McMasterdonia.

Ending this address, I hereby make my one and only appointment for this term.

@Deropia has been both a friend and fellow contemporary of mine for quite some time. I respect him as a colleague, and I respect him as a citizen of talent and ambition. Having briefly served the Speaker's Office under ABC's Speakership, I have decided to appoint him as my Deputy Speaker.

If not to augment him with the knowledge of the duties of the Office and ensure my promise is kept, then to enjoy his company and broker it over our common passion to enrich and improve the Region in only the ways that we can.

Please take your oath Dero. Thank you for being my friend. And thank you for supporting me in this new endeavor.

Yukkira

TNPer

From the Speaker's Desk
Bobberino Appointment

I hereby appoint @Bobberino as Deputy Speaker. Mostly because I need him to keep Dero company as I am quite busy throughout the day. Partially because Bob has had a relatively long and storied career in TNP. He has served the Office in the past, having served under Speaker Artemis.

Please take your oath. No memes please.

Side note, yes, I'm making another Deputy appointment in spite of my opening address... because I can.

Last edited:

Deropia

Speaker
-
-
-
A gloved hand reaches out and pushes open the heavy wooden door leading from the Speakers private office. Clothed in black robes as opposed to his typical light blue attire, the newly elected Speaker of the Regional Assembly makes his way across the chamber to the Speakers seat on the floor of the Assembly.
His ornate staff taps against the floor with every step he takes, face concealed by the shadows cast by the wide-brimmed hat he wears. Or was it magic that hid his face? The shadows seemed to keep his appearance perfectly hidden, save for the glowing yellow of his eyes.

Not that any of the assembly members noticed, as they bickered over the definition of some minor, almost insignificant change in wording.

Reaching the dais he turns and faces the assembly.

"Honourable Members!" Deropia the Black Mage calls, raising his staff as a small plume of fire spits forth.

"We'll keep this short. I'm honoured you have selected me to be the Speaker of this Assembly for the coming legislative session. I've left a document on your desks outlining the appointments of my Deputies and any goals we have for this term."

Deputy Appointments and Term Summary: 2020 Sitting of the Regional Assembly:

Deputy Appointments, January-May 2020

I hereby appoint @Kaschovia as Deputy Speaker of the Regional Assembly. Kasch has extensive experience in the Executive branch of the government. His experience there will undoubtedly help the Speakers Office this term.

I also hereby appoint @Bobberino as Deputy Speaker of the Regional Assembly. Bob's prior experience in the office and knowledge of its workings are going to be of great service.

Term Goals

I will be reviving two programs initiated by previous Speakers. The Speakers Office Manual, which will provide future Speakers and Deputies a handbook to the office and a summary of the major laws of TNP.

I'll also be looking into starting the Legal Literacy Program; the quiz program I mentioned in my campaign.

I will be starting discussions into Standing Procedures regarding the Speakers power to Table Motions.
"Say...does anyone smell something burning?"

Last edited:

Kaschovia

St. Kaschivus of the Fifth Circle
-
-
-
Congratulations on winning the election, Deropia! I look forward to working with you over the next four months.

Deropia

Speaker
-
-
-
I told you he meant that literally...
The Magicality Times:
MAGICALITY CITY, THE NORTH PACIFIC - Firefighters responded to the Regional Assembly today after a pyrotechnic demonstration by incoming Speaker, Deropia, went awry and some of the ornate banners in the chamber caught fire.

When asked why he used fire magic within the debate hall the Speaker had this to say: "Well, my campaign slogan was 'Light the RA on fire!', so I figured, y'know, during my opening statement to the Legislature I thought I'd cast a little fire spell. As a joke, ya know?"

When asked why he didn't use water-based magic to quell the flames Speaker Deropia responded: "Well, ya know, I just figured that 'Hey, the fire department is on the way, it's their job to ya know, fight fires. We have so few here in Magicality City that I thought 'Hey, I should let them do it. The firefighters will get some glory!' Plus, I figured I should conserve mana just in case the fire got put out too early grew out of control..."

The legislature resumes sitting this afternoon, when contacted the Attorney Generals Office was asked if it would consider laying charges against the Speaker to which Deputy Attorney General @Dinoium stated only "Incorrect".

Last edited:

Praetor

Hoppin' Around
-
-
I look forward to you implementing monthly citizenship reports as you commented in your election thread. ;)

Deropia

Speaker
-
-
-
Don't worry Praetor, I've started recordkeeping. It's not a fancy-decked out spreadsheet yet, but it will be. I'll make it publicly available when it's ready.

Also, since we're talking about things I said in my campaign thread; my Deputies and I have spoken about the matter, and I am designating @Bobberino to be Acting Speaker in the highly unlikely event of my resignation. This contingency shouldn't need to be implemented however I said I would address it.

Zyvetskistaahn

TNPer
-
-
Mr Speaker, can I ask if, given the recent forum changes allowing masking and, in particular, demasking of citizens and residents by your Office, it is your intention to make announcement of loss of citizenship or the status of resident when your Office undertakes remasking, to ensure a public record of the same, given that until now the admin request thread has effectively served as such record previously?

Last edited:

Deropia

Speaker
-
-
-

From the Speakers Office
Deputy Appointment - February 2020

In my capacity as Speaker of the Regional Assembly, I hereby appoint @Koopa103 as Deputy Speaker of the Regional Assembly.

Last edited:

Zyvetskistaahn

TNPer
-
-
Mr Speaker,

In relation the recently passed Military Modernisation Bill, your alterations to the Legal Code do not appear to have given effect to the provisions of the Bill requiring renumbering in relation to the Chapters subsequent to Chapter 7.

Deropia

Speaker
-
-
-
Mr Speaker,

In relation the recently passed Military Modernisation Bill, your alterations to the Legal Code do not appear to have given effect to the provisions of the Bill requiring renumbering in relation to the Chapters subsequent to Chapter 7.
All fixed. I believe. I'll be double checking subclause numbers here shortly.

Deropia

Speaker
-
-
-

From the Speakers Desk
Deputy Appointment - March 2020

Unfortunately, real-life time constraints have left some of my Deputies with limited time to perform duties related to the office, at least for the time being. As such, in my capacity as Speaker of the Regional Assembly, I hereby appoint @St George as Deputy Speaker of the Regional Assembly.

Deropia

Speaker
-
-
-

From the Speakers Desk
Deputy Dismissal - March 2020

As it has been more than 14 days since their last forum activity, @Kaschovia has abandoned their office and is dismissed as Deputy Speaker of the Regional Assembly. Should Kasch return and wish to rejoin the office, they are more than welcome to do so.

Deropia
Speaker of the Regional Assembly

Deropia

Speaker
-
-
-

From the Speakers Desk
Deputy Appointment - March 2020

Due to my absence caused by the COVID-19 Virus, I find it prudent to give St George and the rest of the team some extra assistance. In my capacity as Speaker of the Regional Assembly, I hereby appoint @Rom as Deputy Speaker of the Regional Assembly.

St George

Deputy Speaker
Deputy Speaker
-
-
-

Acting Speaker Address
I figure I should probably make one of these posts, right? I'm Acting Speaker for the moment due to some real world unavailability due to the whole coronavirus thing. I'd like to first thank Deropia for showing so much faith in me, as well thank the deputy speakers for the support they've shown me since I joined the team.

I have just two objectives during my tenure as Acting Speaker and they all follow the overriding theme that I think the office needs to focus on: back to basics. The first goal is making sure all the work gets done. For too long, going back multiple offices, the administrative work that is so vital to many of our systems was falling by the wayside for a variety of reasons. I'm not interested in a post-mortem review of those reasons and I will only note that that time is over. Now, when the speaker does a check on someone, they will be added to the correct part of the spreadsheet, given the correct masking and their application will be tracked from that point until they are successful or unsuccessful in attaining citizenship.

Increasing the speed at which checks are done is my second goal. There is no reason we can't be as fast as Siwale has been with admin checks - and there should definitely be no instances where applicants go longer than the 14 days given to us by law to process checks. If an applicant goes longer than 2 days without our attention then we as an office are failing - and I would appreciate if our fellow citizens would point these instances.

If we do these two things - and I fully believe we can and will do them - then whenever Deropia is back or whoever holds the office next, they will have a very solid foundation to build on for the more complex and less simple projects. There are a number of Speakers Staff projects that will continue to chug along in the background if the people involved are active enough, and there is one project of my own that I'll look into getting up and running should Deropia's absence persist into mid-April.

Aside from that, I'm here for questions, comments, requests and suggestions - and anyone wishing to make it known that they could volunteer as a deputy speaker should contact me also.

St George

Deputy Speaker
Deputy Speaker
-
-
-
I have archived a number of topics that had either passed, been voted on and failed, or been withdraw or proposed by people who are no longer citizens. They can be found in the RA Proposals and Discussions Archive subforum or found via redirect link from this forum. These redirects will expire after 7 or 14 days depending on the topic.

I have also reached out to a few authors to see if they would like their topics archived or left open for further debate, discussion or improvements.

I have also archived two topics from the private RA subforum and they can be found here. With regards to archiving private topics I will be following the same rules the government is under for declassification - topics 1 year of age or above will be eligible for archival.