The Speaker's Desk

As per the taking of my oath as Minister of World Assembly Affairs, I have resigned as Speaker. @Yukkira will be Acting Speaker until the January General Election. I wish him all the best in this role.

I thought I'd reflect briefly on my short tenure. While I haven't been able to fulfill all the promises I've made during the election, the Speaker's Office and the Regional Assembly has run smoothly with proposals, votes and citizenship. Thank you, citizens of The North Pacific, for giving me the honour of serving as your Speaker. I've enjoyed my time in office.

Qmnqc9AgVMfUjL1I2L1sdo-q-cwgQZE-hRaK4Tndb190P2Lop9OfBRxKkLnaevmyy8H3KyXAWB2wOZsdjbiTzZDJGAIPuMy1pcDtXWH1YXFPTa3jIwkw9sq8mk2h_yXk4yMjpTIh

From the Speaker's Desk - Opening Address
December 8th, 2019 - Remainder

To the Region, its Assembly, and our Constituents,

It is with heartfelt joy that the Speaker's Office bids to Gorundu, farewell. Although he did not finish out the term as Speaker, him leaving to pursue even higher aspirations as the Minister of World Assembly Affairs goes to show both the talent and the ambition that he has.

We wish him both success and fortune in this new endeavor.

As for me, it is both an honor and a pleasure to serve as the Speaker to the Regional Assembly for the duration of the rest of this term. I have enjoyed working with Gorundu and Darcania, and learned much about this office under their guidance and fellowship.

With this knowledge, I promise to do my best to ensure a smooth and orderly end, to a very successful term under Delegate McMasterdonia.

Ending this address, I hereby make my one and only appointment for this term.

@Deropia has been both a friend and fellow contemporary of mine for quite some time. I respect him as a colleague, and I respect him as a citizen of talent and ambition. Having briefly served the Speaker's Office under ABC's Speakership, I have decided to appoint him as my Deputy Speaker.

If not to augment him with the knowledge of the duties of the Office and ensure my promise is kept, then to enjoy his company and broker it over our common passion to enrich and improve the Region in only the ways that we can.

Please take your oath Dero. Thank you for being my friend. And thank you for supporting me in this new endeavor.

Qmnqc9AgVMfUjL1I2L1sdo-q-cwgQZE-hRaK4Tndb190P2Lop9OfBRxKkLnaevmyy8H3KyXAWB2wOZsdjbiTzZDJGAIPuMy1pcDtXWH1YXFPTa3jIwkw9sq8mk2h_yXk4yMjpTIh

From the Speaker's Desk
Bobberino Appointment

I hereby appoint @Bobberino as Deputy Speaker. Mostly because I need him to keep Dero company as I am quite busy throughout the day. Partially because Bob has had a relatively long and storied career in TNP. He has served the Office in the past, having served under Speaker Artemis.

Please take your oath. No memes please.

Side note, yes, I'm making another Deputy appointment in spite of my opening address... because I can.

Last edited:
A gloved hand reaches out and pushes open the heavy wooden door leading from the Speakers private office. Clothed in black robes as opposed to his typical light blue attire, the newly elected Speaker of the Regional Assembly makes his way across the chamber to the Speakers seat on the floor of the Assembly.
His ornate staff taps against the floor with every step he takes, face concealed by the shadows cast by the wide-brimmed hat he wears. Or was it magic that hid his face? The shadows seemed to keep his appearance perfectly hidden, save for the glowing yellow of his eyes.

Not that any of the assembly members noticed, as they bickered over the definition of some minor, almost insignificant change in wording.

Reaching the dais he turns and faces the assembly.

"Honourable Members!" Deropia the Black Mage calls, raising his staff as a small plume of fire spits forth.

"We'll keep this short. I'm honoured you have selected me to be the Speaker of this Assembly for the coming legislative session. I've left a document on your desks outlining the appointments of my Deputies and any goals we have for this term."

Deputy Appointments and Term Summary: 2020 Sitting of the Regional Assembly:
spk_seal.png

Deputy Appointments, January-May 2020

I hereby appoint @Kaschovia as Deputy Speaker of the Regional Assembly. Kasch has extensive experience in the Executive branch of the government. His experience there will undoubtedly help the Speakers Office this term.

I also hereby appoint @Bobberino as Deputy Speaker of the Regional Assembly. Bob's prior experience in the office and knowledge of its workings are going to be of great service.

Term Goals

I will be reviving two programs initiated by previous Speakers. The Speakers Office Manual, which will provide future Speakers and Deputies a handbook to the office and a summary of the major laws of TNP.

I'll also be looking into starting the Legal Literacy Program; the quiz program I mentioned in my campaign.

I will be starting discussions into Standing Procedures regarding the Speakers power to Table Motions.

"Say...does anyone smell something burning?"

Last edited:
Congratulations on winning the election, Deropia! I look forward to working with you over the next four months.

I told you he meant that literally...

The Magicality Times:
MAGICALITY CITY, THE NORTH PACIFIC - Firefighters responded to the Regional Assembly today after a pyrotechnic demonstration by incoming Speaker, Deropia, went awry and some of the ornate banners in the chamber caught fire.

When asked why he used fire magic within the debate hall the Speaker had this to say: "Well, my campaign slogan was 'Light the RA on fire!', so I figured, y'know, during my opening statement to the Legislature I thought I'd cast a little fire spell. As a joke, ya know?"

When asked why he didn't use water-based magic to quell the flames Speaker Deropia responded: "Well, ya know, I just figured that 'Hey, the fire department is on the way, it's their job to ya know, fight fires. We have so few here in Magicality City that I thought 'Hey, I should let them do it. The firefighters will get some glory!' Plus, I figured I should conserve mana just in case the fire got put out too early grew out of control..."

The legislature resumes sitting this afternoon, when contacted the Attorney Generals Office was asked if it would consider laying charges against the Speaker to which Deputy Attorney General @Dinoium stated only "Incorrect".

Last edited:
I look forward to you implementing monthly citizenship reports as you commented in your election thread. ;)

Don't worry Praetor, I've started recordkeeping. It's not a fancy-decked out spreadsheet yet, but it will be. I'll make it publicly available when it's ready.

Also, since we're talking about things I said in my campaign thread; my Deputies and I have spoken about the matter, and I am designating @Bobberino to be Acting Speaker in the highly unlikely event of my resignation. This contingency shouldn't need to be implemented however I said I would address it.

Mr Speaker, can I ask if, given the recent forum changes allowing masking and, in particular, demasking of citizens and residents by your Office, it is your intention to make announcement of loss of citizenship or the status of resident when your Office undertakes remasking, to ensure a public record of the same, given that until now the admin request thread has effectively served as such record previously?

Last edited:

From the Speakers Office
Deputy Appointment - February 2020

In my capacity as Speaker of the Regional Assembly, I hereby appoint @Koopa103 as Deputy Speaker of the Regional Assembly.

Last edited:
Mr Speaker,

In relation the recently passed Military Modernisation Bill, your alterations to the Legal Code do not appear to have given effect to the provisions of the Bill requiring renumbering in relation to the Chapters subsequent to Chapter 7.

Mr Speaker,

In relation the recently passed Military Modernisation Bill, your alterations to the Legal Code do not appear to have given effect to the provisions of the Bill requiring renumbering in relation to the Chapters subsequent to Chapter 7.

All fixed. I believe. I'll be double checking subclause numbers here shortly.

From the Speakers Desk
Deputy Appointment - March 2020

Unfortunately, real-life time constraints have left some of my Deputies with limited time to perform duties related to the office, at least for the time being. As such, in my capacity as Speaker of the Regional Assembly, I hereby appoint @St George as Deputy Speaker of the Regional Assembly.

From the Speakers Desk
Deputy Dismissal - March 2020

As it has been more than 14 days since their last forum activity, @Kaschovia has abandoned their office and is dismissed as Deputy Speaker of the Regional Assembly. Should Kasch return and wish to rejoin the office, they are more than welcome to do so.

Deropia
Speaker of the Regional Assembly

From the Speakers Desk
Deputy Appointment - March 2020

Due to my absence caused by the COVID-19 Virus, I find it prudent to give St George and the rest of the team some extra assistance. In my capacity as Speaker of the Regional Assembly, I hereby appoint @Rom as Deputy Speaker of the Regional Assembly.

Acting Speaker Address
I figure I should probably make one of these posts, right? I'm Acting Speaker for the moment due to some real world unavailability due to the whole coronavirus thing. I'd like to first thank Deropia for showing so much faith in me, as well thank the deputy speakers for the support they've shown me since I joined the team.

I have just two objectives during my tenure as Acting Speaker and they all follow the overriding theme that I think the office needs to focus on: back to basics. The first goal is making sure all the work gets done. For too long, going back multiple offices, the administrative work that is so vital to many of our systems was falling by the wayside for a variety of reasons. I'm not interested in a post-mortem review of those reasons and I will only note that that time is over. Now, when the speaker does a check on someone, they will be added to the correct part of the spreadsheet, given the correct masking and their application will be tracked from that point until they are successful or unsuccessful in attaining citizenship.

Increasing the speed at which checks are done is my second goal. There is no reason we can't be as fast as Siwale has been with admin checks - and there should definitely be no instances where applicants go longer than the 14 days given to us by law to process checks. If an applicant goes longer than 2 days without our attention then we as an office are failing - and I would appreciate if our fellow citizens would point these instances.

If we do these two things - and I fully believe we can and will do them - then whenever Deropia is back or whoever holds the office next, they will have a very solid foundation to build on for the more complex and less simple projects. There are a number of Speakers Staff projects that will continue to chug along in the background if the people involved are active enough, and there is one project of my own that I'll look into getting up and running should Deropia's absence persist into mid-April.

Aside from that, I'm here for questions, comments, requests and suggestions - and anyone wishing to make it known that they could volunteer as a deputy speaker should contact me also.

I have archived a number of topics that had either passed, been voted on and failed, or been withdraw or proposed by people who are no longer citizens. They can be found in the RA Proposals and Discussions Archive subforum or found via redirect link from this forum. These redirects will expire after 7 or 14 days depending on the topic.

I have also reached out to a few authors to see if they would like their topics archived or left open for further debate, discussion or improvements.

I have also archived two topics from the private RA subforum and they can be found here. With regards to archiving private topics I will be following the same rules the government is under for declassification - topics 1 year of age or above will be eligible for archival.

Best of luck, MJ! I think you can definitely breathe new life into the office. :D

As per being appointed Minister of Communications, it is with the standard pensive emoji that I must tender my resignation. I hope Rom, Koopa and MJ hold the office together well as is, and when corona clears up, Dero can lead this term to the finish line. Best of luck, you three!

Deputy Appointment and The Returnining

-~-
April 7th, 2020​
Firstly, I'm pleased to announce my return to full-time activity! More than full time, actually because of this whole stay-at-home-all-the-time thing mostly everyone has going on right now. It would seem that while I was gone, our esteemed Delegate scooped up one of my deputies to be a Minister. But that's OK! Congratulations @Bobberino! I'm sure you'll be a great Minister of Communications!

But this means I have to find someone to take Bob's place. Someone who has previously served in the Speakers Office and is knowledgeable in its operation. I believe that I have found that person in my next appointee. I appoint @Owenstacey as Deputy Speaker of the Regional Assembly. Please, take your oath.

It's good to be back to work, everyone. I would like to thank @St George, for stepping up and taking a leadership role in my absence and thank you to @Rom, @Bobberino and @Koopa103 for doing their part to keep the office running. Great work everyone! I'm glad to have such an awesome team.

Let's have a great end of the term!

1589191206173.png

New Speaker Address
ORDER! ORDER! The Esteemed members of the Election Commission have certified myself as Speaker, to take the chair and help lead the Regional Assembly for the next term, and hopefully many more but let's not get ahead of myself. I have taken my Oath of Office and whilst I'd rather not be dragged to the Chair, I understand that TNP values tradition and so have at it. I thank both those who voted for me and those who didn't for their involvement in the election, and wish to pay a tribute and issue thanks to both @Highton, who stood to ensure this election was not uncontested, and to the Election Commissioners, who ensured that the election was well run and without incident. I would also thank @El Fiji Grande and all those involved in organising the Town Hall voice chats and subsequent delegate debate. Their work and the work of many others ensures our democracy is strong, dynamic and vibrant. I also would like to congratulate my friends @Prydania and @Artemis who both won their own elections, and offer commiserations to the defeated candidates. We all serve TNP in our own way and taking part in elections is sometimes a leap into the unknown - by taking that leap you serve the region and our community and for that I thank you.

In my campaign topic, I spoke about matching the speed @Siwale has shown in doing the admin checks when we do our checks. Siwale has shown it is possible to do checks at a highly commendable speed and I feel that by the end of this term, we should be matching him, whilst still ensuring accuracy. Siwale has supported the office in the past term by pointing out the instances where we may have erred and for that work I thank him. I hope he doesn't need to do that work going forward but welcome his and anyone else's feedback and commentary to holding this office to account. We are building the foundations for a better Speaker's Office this term and in doing so there will be times where you, the citizens, will have to hold us to account. That is an important role and I welcome such instances.

I would also like to thank all those who have served as Deputy Speaker in the last term. In some way you all offered the Office something and also helped me to learn the role and what is expected of it. @Rom joined the office late in the last term and whilst I am saddened to see him leave, I know he will do an excellent job in his new role as Minister of Defense and wish him nothing but well wishes. @Koopa103 brought their unique personality to the office and helped it along, even if their work wasn't always public. And to @Deropia I have to offer my thanks for letting me into the office and helping me learn the ropes, along with @Bobberino who without him I would not be Speaker today I think.

With a number of people leaving the Office, I must take this opportunity to 'restock' the office so to speak, and whilst I remain in discussions with others about them joining the office, I do have two appointments to make. Staying on for another term is @Owenstacey, an invaluable companion in the office who has helped the office run in times where others were unavailable, and joining him is former Vice Delegate @Robespierre who came to me and asked to join the office. He will bring the kind of dedication and effort I expect to the office and I am sure he will thrive in this role.

More appointments are coming, especially as I make moves I spoke about in my campaign to turn the Speakers Staff into a group that helps to produce future Deputy Speakers and Speakers, and I look forward to serving the Regional Assembly in the coming term.

Well done and congratulations. I hope you have a good term and that the region is as patient with you as you have been with this office in the past. Good luck!

I am happy to report that @Bobberino and @Crushing Our Enemies will be joining the team. Bob will be a day to day member whilst COE will provide invaluable advice and consultation on policy and procedure. They should proceed to take their oaths at the earliest opportunity.

Mr Speaker,

Since May 2020 General Elections have been concluded, why is McMasterdonia still the WA delegate of the region? We saw Prydania win the Elections.
Is it because Prydania has to take an Oath or is there any other protocol?

Mr Speaker,

Since May 2020 General Elections have been concluded, why is McMasterdonia still the WA delegate of the region? We saw Prydania win the Elections.
How can I join the executive staff?
I will say these are not questions really meant for the speaker specifically, so I thought I would just try and answer them. @Krevt Prydania is the Delegate of the region, but he has not gained enough endorsements in the game itself to overtake McMasterdonia as the "in game delegate." Prydania has all the responsibilities and powers of the Delegate as his endorsement count rises towards McMasterdonia. When he gains more than McM, the game will update and list him as the delegate in the game.

@Filiposgov you can join here: https://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/7198621/

Mr. Speaker, I apologize for invading your desk, but I feel compelled to help lighten the load for you in the face of these two and their questions.

Mr Speaker,

As a member of the NPA, you of all people should know how the in-game WA Delegacy works. It's whoever has the most endorsements in the region that holds the WA Delegacy, and considering Prydania was only elected yesterday, it's going to take some time for Pry's endorsement count to rise to the point to overtake Artemis so that McMasterdonia can safely resign WA membership to complete the transition.

Wonderess answered this while I was typing.

If any of you touched the whiskey nothing is going to vote ever. I mean, thank you for the help.

Mr. Speaker, I apologize for invading your desk, but I feel compelled to help lighten the load for you in the face of these two and their questions.

As a member of the NPA, you of all people should know how the in-game WA Delegacy works. It's whoever has the most endorsements in the region that holds the WA Delegacy, and considering Prydania was only elected yesterday, it's going to take some time for Pry's endorsement count to rise to the point to overtake Artemis so that McMasterdonia can safely resign WA membership to complete the transition.

Wonderess answered this while I was typing.
ah now i get it, thanks @Sil Dorsett

I'm not the Speaker, and this is not a question for the Speaker anyway, but having seen you applying and being accepted multiple times in the Executive Staff application thread, have you tried reading the messages that you were sent after being accepted? I think they would help with telling you what to do.

Last edited:

Announcement of Schedule
From today, the Speakers office is to operate on the following schedule, which will be subject to ongoing review:
MondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturdaySunday
MadJack or RobespierreRobespierreRobespierreMadJack or BobberinoBobberino or CretoxCretox or MadJackCretox or Robespierre
On these days, those people will be your primary go to for anything related to the Speakers office and they are expected to do the majority of checks on those days. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited:
Back