A Proposal from the Imperial Bank of The Pacific

The Imperial Bank of The Pacific formally offers to purchase the Bank of The North Pacific for the sum of 300,000 Francos which is equivalent to 1,500,000 TNP dollars. This payment will be to the government of TNP and the Imperial Bank shall not interfere with how the money will be distributed thereafter. This proposal is meant to improve further relations between The Pacific and The North Pacific and to better the economies of the aforementioned regions.

1) Upon purchase of the BoTNP the Imperial Banking system of accounts shall be adopted and all citizens of TNP will be allowed and encouraged to open an account.

2) In accordance with the Imperial Banking structure any citizen of TNP may also open a business within the BoTNP subforum and will be subject to the rules and regulations of TNP.

3) All account holders of the BoTNP will be allowed to openly trade with any business in The Pacific.

4) The BoTNP will not be part of the TNP government nor be represented as such in the Regional Assembly or Cabinet.

5) In order to make it easier for transfers to be accounted for, the Governor of the Imperial Bank shall assume the chairmanship of the Bank of The North Pacific. It is requested that this individual be made a moderator of the BoTNP subforum to make it easier to regulate and make necessary changes.

-Senator New Kervoskia

[Outline of IBP Finances in TNP dollars]

IBP Private Budget: 2,132,050
Public Purse: 3,373,115
Private Accounts: 9,536,335
Total: 15,041,500

I would support this, but I'm not quite sure as to who controls the Bank of The North Pacific and thus who has the final decision, the Prime Minister maybe?

There is a Study Commission on the TNP Economy chaired by Haor Chall that is supposed to be coming up with a game plan to set up the TNP economy, including the Bank.

I have no idea about who technically controls the Bank, as one issue has been how to operate the Bank, and by whom, and what role the government would play.

So far as I know, the Bank remains experimental.

And I'm not sure about selling the bank to another feeder muchless any other regin. There's always the chace for blackmail.

The other concern is valuation, since I have no idea how valur can be determined.

And I'm not sure about selling the bank to another feeder muchless any other regin.  There's always the chace for blackmail.
Although the bank would be owned by the IBP, it would be subject to any TNP laws, rules, and regulations. If the government believes that the people are being somehow cheated or blackmailed, they may step in and say so. You must also remember that even though it would be our bank, it would still be your forum so the sides even out.

The other concern is valuation, since I have no idea how valur can be determined.
The value of the offer was based on the current state of the bank, its age, members, and progress it has made. It is a respectable sum, I assure you, it is enough to give every forum member nearly 2,000 dollars each if the government so chooses.

:ph34r:

We are offering you an opportunity to participate in a bank system that was set up in a matter of a week because of Senator New Kervoskia's expertise and knowledge of such matters. It has been kept active and is a major part of Pacifican life. It works and is fun for players as well, as they can actually earn money and engage in buying and selling.

We are offering this as a way for our regions to better get to know each other outside the political arena, which never truly shows more than one side.

Blackmail? For what? This is economic RP, nothing more and nothing less.

It would be fun. That's the simple truth of it.

There is a Study Commission on the TNP Economy chaired by Haor Chall that is supposed to be coming up with a game plan to set up the TNP economy, including the Bank.

Having a quick glance at the Comission forum, there has been little activity there and none recently but I would say that the system favoured by the majority of the members was the one used by The New Pacific Order.

Yes, EM is right, the Commission hasn't done much. I will be trying to kick it back into gear soon.

My personal opinion on the proposal from the IBP is that I would rather wait until we have at least tried to get our own system up and running before looking at something like this. I think it may be, if we are able to get the bank working, that would could look at something in the future; perhaps more like a merger or some kind of Trans-Pacific Bank or something. I think that would be cool.

I think a committee need to be formed to explore this proposal and we would need some checks and balances because selling our bank to an outside source i do not like this merger

Mr Deputy Minister, what checks and balances would you propose? TNP will not be left in the dark and will participate in business proceedings. Salaries shall be paid as they are in TP. In TP business owners are free to operate without overbearing rules and as of yet no consumer has complained of being treated unfairly. It is in our foremost interests to work with the citizens of TNP, not against them.

Tell you what, we will swap our bank for your delegacy. We will even throw in Cadre Island as a sweetener.

Your bank doesn't work; in fact, a couple years of trying hasn't changed that.

I like the delegacy, thank you. I do not forsee giving it up any time soon. :P

Upper Kirby:
We'll consider it. But we're good right now.

If you were good, you would have a functioning bank and economy.

If you don't want it, that's all good. Just thought it would be a good place to try and build a relationship that wasn't adversarial.

As Minister of Defense I suppose this isn't my area of expertise, but I just wanted to voice my opinion on the matter.

I think we should seriously consider it. I mean, our bank isn't doing much right now. What downsides are there to this? We work together with another feeder and we get a functioning bank. It is only a role-playing part of the game anyway, so politically and militarily there isn't much risk.

And I think it would be fun :P

But, Dammit, I offered to throw in Cadre Island. That ought to have tempted you a bit, right?

Even if you will not do a swap, will you take Cadre Island anyway?

You are welcome to do whatever you please with it - I understand there may some nuclear testing that needs to happen?

In any case, I agree with Ator. It's not as though the bank has any dependencies in the remainder of the game, or anything really depends on it. Anything to make the whole RP experience function in this area, I am all for.

Although I would push for a merger, instead of a buyout, but there you have it.

Not sure I am in favour of this, for two reasons: Firstly, the only overseas branch of the bank of which I have personal experience, that in Taijitu, was started with high hopes, but has completely stalled. Remember, Taijitu has a much more vibrant Roleplay culture than us.

Secondly, members of the Pacific have proved themselves a volatile and impulsive lot on our forum of late, and I am not sure I would want our economy in such hands. When I look at New Kervoskia I do not see an image of Gordon Brown.

I would rather give one last shot at reviving our own bank before agreeing to a take over. If that fails, we can always revisit the idea.

The Checks and Balances that I was inferring to was that if this merger was to go ahead what say so would we have in day to day running operations.

It would have to be an agreed number...prehaps a minority as we as a region wouldnt be in charge, but the seats would be agreed on joinly betwee the bank chair and a commision here?

A merger would have to be of equal status, otherwise it would be the Nationstates version of DahlmerChrysler, and we all know now how that turned out.

But seriously, I think we need to give the TNP Economy Study Commissin a chance to proposal an overall plan. It would influence what the capitalization would be of the Bank as it is now, and it would be harder to agree on value, or much else, until we figure out how it would work.

If anything, I would not be hostile to allowing the IBP opening up a branch here in The North Pacific, with all the bells and whistles that they want, however we keep the Bank of The North Pacific as our Central Bank. I'm not sure how the Pacificans would feel 'bout that though.

I shall address the questions or concerns in relative order.

@ flemingovia - The branch in Taijitu was unsuccessful largely due to the nature of their market. They had an existing bank and operational market economy prior to an IBP branch opened. Therefore the residents were more attached to domestic businesses. I believe that we can foster a more thorough economic relationship with TNP due to our long history together.

Although I may be "volatile" and "impulsive" when it comes to diplomatic affairs, in the realm of economics I am pragmatic in my approach and no one in TP has yet suffered extreme economic loss or the slightest hint of bankruptcy. I am a tireless economic mechanic. In politics you may see me as a Beria or Ribbentrop, but in economics I am a Friedman or a Greenspan.

@ FALCONKATS - You must understand that in TP if any business owner has a question, comment, or concern they report it directly to me usually in a PM or IRC. So there is not a formal Chamber of Commerce. It allows for stable economic management.

I would also like to remind TNP of the Property Protection Initiative signed by myself, my fellow Senators, and the Emperor. If TP was allowed to purchase the BoTNP, it would fall within the realm of Pacifican Prosperity Districts and would reap the benefits of Pacifinomics.

Property Protection Initiative

In order to protect the financial, intellectual, and entrepreneurial  property of the citizens of Pacifica, the Property Protection Initiative is hereby enacted. This initiative will also protect Pacifica's integrity by protecting the intellectual property and clearly defining Pacifinomics in the Prosperity District. The PPI consist of the following articles.

Article I.
All businesses and accounts are the property of their owners and shall be defended as such. Any attempt to hijack said business shall result in the ceasing of the hijacker's assets. Replication of businesses may only be done with the permission of the founder or owner.

Article II.
Pacifinomics is defined as the economic system of The Pacific. It consists of the Imperial Bank of The Pacific and the businesses and corporations residing in the Prosperity Districts. The system of private and corporate accounts established by the Imperial Bank of The Pacific and the system of exchange are the property of the sovereign government of The Pacific, the New Pacific Order and His Imperial Highness Emperor Bovinus I.

Article III.
The theories and models designed and instituted in the Prosperity District are henceforth no longer public domain for the international community, but rather for the furtherment of Pacifican prosperity and citizen enlightenment. The aforementioned property may only be replicated with the express permission of His Imperial Highness Emperor Bovinus I.

Article IV.
The Pacific may defend the property rights of its citizens and those who have established businesses in the Prosperity District. It may prosecute those who attempt to steal, hijack, or otherwise replicate without due credit and/or permission, the economic system established in The Pacific.

Emperor Bovinus I
Divine Bovine Overlord
divinebovine

Senator New Kervoskia
Senator Gaspo
Senator Darkesia
Senator Chosen Men

With all due respect, you have been working on some kind of bank and economy for a couple years now with nothing to show for it. Now, you could essentially copy our system of accounts, salaries by the bank and such, regulations and how corporations and businesses are formed, the stock market and all, and make it into your own, thereby essentially stealing Senator New Kervoskia's hard work. But that would be so uncool I am sure it has not even occurred to you.

Taijitu faltered with our bank because they already had their own system and decided they didn't want to part with it. We would not have offered this had your system been fully developed and up and running.

This has nothing to do with the rest of NS; this is pure economic role play. It doesn't enter into the realm of game play at all. New Kervoskia developed our system over the course of a couple weeks, devoting most of his free time to it; he's an economics geek. He is our answer to Greenspan or Ben Bernanke; he is that good.

Whatever else goes on between our two regions, when we proposed this, this would be an opportunity for us to interact in a completely different and non-political way. That, in a nutshell, is what this is about. We have seen that having banks and stores and stocks increases activity and allows a whole new dimension to the community. We have people from many different regions who own shops and stores and who are getting rich. We wanted to offer you to be a part of that.

I do not think we would open a branch of IBP; I think that would not bring about the desired result; i.e. increased non-adversarial interaction between us.

I do think this would be a good idea. The work necessary to run a bank is time consuming and tiresome. It takes a dedicated group to keep records and make sure everything stays running smooth.

The Pacific is offering to take on all the work necessary and we would be left to reap the benefits of a working economy. I believe nothing but good could come from this.

Thank you for addressing my questions in such a considered manner. Although I would still prefer us to make our own bank work, my objections are much eased. If the RA says go for it, I will be content.

I do think this would be a good idea. The work necessary to run a bank is time consuming and tiresome. It takes a dedicated group to keep records and make sure everything stays running smooth.

The Pacific is offering to take on all the work necessary and we would be left to reap the benefits of a working economy. I believe nothing but good could come from this.
Agreed.

The Imperial Bank of The Pacific formally offers to purchase the Bank of The North Pacific for the sum of 300,000 Francos which is equivalent to 1,500,000 TNP dollars.
I would like to see the methodology what came up with that figure.
That figure was based on several factors:

*Current state of the BoTNP
*Economic growth in TNP
*Expected progress of economy and the financial system
*Estimated costs of creating the proper infrastructure (Affordability)

1,500,000 TNP dollars was the result. It is a princely sum by any measure.

oddly eough, the current sums in circulation (at a rate of $!) TNP per post whether here, or carried over from prior official foruls, may be slightly more or less than that sume.

I think a takeover is not as much in our interest as a merger of equals would be. Or maybe a joint venture of the Bank of TNP with half-interests to each side might be another option.

I think a takeover is not as much in our interest as a merger of equals would be. Or maybe a joint venture of the Bank of TNP with half-interests to each side might be another option.
The advantage of the buying out the bank though is that we do not have to do any work. We don't have to worry about making sure we have active officials to work with the bank. We can just enjoy the benefits of the system. A representative on their board of directors (or equivalent) would be nice, but either way I would support this.

If you actually had a bank and economy up and running, a merger might have been an option. At this point—and for the last year or so you have been working on this—you do not have an economic system.

We are offering to pay you money to essentially set one up for you so our two regions can play economics together. We have already said TNP would have at least one representative on the board of directors.

There is nothing for you to lose here, and a lot to be gained. It seems to me to be a win-win, and an opportunity to increase activity and fun on both forums.

Moo, how about we hire your man as a consultant, and then maybe we can speak again about some sort of economic treaty? Perhaps once our economy is back to a reasonable level, we can revisit the ideas of mergers/buy-outs.

Given the current political circumstances, I'm sure you can understand why some of our members would be reluctant to cede control of our economic centre — regardless of its level of development.

Moo, how about we hire your man as a consultant, and then maybe we can speak again about some sort of economic treaty? Perhaps once our economy is back to a reasonable level, we can revisit the ideas of mergers/buy-outs.

Given the current political circumstances, I'm sure you can understand why some of our members would be reluctant to cede control of our economic centre — regardless of its level of development.
I'm afraid you couldn't afford to pay me. I am essentially offering my services as a consultant and then some. If what has been said is true then the result of a commission or task force would be a blueprint that largely resembles the Pacifican structure. We are offering to give you everything. It comes at a very low opportunity cost.

If the BoTNP is bought by the IBP you will not have to provide someone to change an account every time a purchase is made. You will not need someone to calculate any fees, interest, or salaries. You will not have to train or appoint someone how to manage an economy. A treaty will not provide the openness and manpower we are offering.

We are offering this in order to strengthen our relationship. This is purely on an RP level and has nothing to do with politics.

New Kervoskia, let's hve a dose of political reality.

We don't trust the proposal to be someother other than a form of imperialism trough the economy rather than through someo ther means.

Without a least a 50/50 spilt of control over the ecoomic institutions in the North Pacific, this won't go much further.

Since the current bank was set up as an experiment, no decisions had been made concerning who actually governs and cotrols the bank. One of the reasons for the economy commission is to settle such issues as part of a broader plan.

Which means that only the regional assembly could approve such a transaction; and if any art of the plan requires a law or an amendment to our Constitution, a super-majority would be required.

So New Kervoskia, you're going to have to come off dead center because if you don't you won't get any agreement through the Regional Assembly.

So I kindly urge you to reconsider the approach and stance you have been taking so far on this proposal, because unless you can satisfy this region's desire to have at least nominal control over its own institutions and the concern that this represents a form of economic imperialism, it isn't going to go anywhere. Many of us are distrustful of tmperialistic tendencies and that is part of the reality here.

Bottom line, several of us have offered variations that we think would make the plan more acceptable, and your unwilllingness to adapt isn't going to persuage us.

Personslly, as long as you mentioned it in an earlier post, I'd be interested in hearing how Taijitu.

Back