Reminder that new Election Cycle is beginning

I would remind the Minister of Defense that the first element of the election cycle starts within this coming week, with the NP voting on endorsements for candidates for Minister of Defense.

I would also remind the Prime Minister and the Minister of Immigration and Internal Affairs that they have until the 15th to decide if they are candidates in the next election, and if so, to have the Cabinet approve election commissioners in their stead for the upcoming elections.

And I would remind everyone that the term of office of the current Court expire at the end of this month. I do not plan to accept nomination for another term on the Court, but instead plan to retire.

Both the Constitution and the Legal Code provide the necessary information to compute the deadlines prior to the election dates, which of course are 1 February to 7 February.

*looks at constitution, does some computations, looks worried*

I might be wrong but:

Deadline for appointing Election Commissioners: January 17th (yesterday)
(assuming both the PM and MoIIA are running this time round)

Nominations and Declarations of Intent Period: January 22nd to 28th

Voting Period: February 1st to 7th

Runoff Elections: February 10th to 16th

Is that about right????

Deadline for appointing Election Commissioners: January 17th (yesterday)
(assuming both the PM and MoIIA are running this time round)
:lol: Oh, I'm so glad we're on top of things.

I'm attaching a poll to this topic. If you are considering running for any position, then please vote in it. This is not intended to be a declaration of intent or even binding - it's just there to get an idea of how many people we can expect to have on the ballot, so that we'll know in advance if we're going to be short people. Which I'm personally afraid that we are.

So please, vote in the poll if you are even remotely thinking about running.

I would also remind the Prime Minister and the Minister of Immigration and Internal Affairs that they have until the 15th to decide if they are candidates in the next election, and if so, to have the Cabinet approve election commissioners in their stead for the upcoming elections.
Have either said if they're running again? :unsure:

Ok, sure... Might as well put that thing to use.

If you are an RV, Minister, or otherwise involved with the government, check your e-mails, because you should be getting one if this darn thing decides to work.

Except for possibly standing for another term on the Security Council, I will not be a candidate for any elected office. That option doesn't exist in the poll.

Except for possibly standing for another term on the Security Council, I will not be a candidate for any elected office. That option doesn't exist in the poll.
That's still an office... sort of.

Edit: Fixed title cuz' the misspelling was bugging me.

from s2, the election schedule for the last elections.

http://s2.invisionfree.com/The_North_Pacif...dpost&p=1764306

Given that both October and January have 31 days, the schedule should essentially be identical.

As to the appointment of Election Commissioners, section 1 of TNP law 5 provides that:
Section 1: Election Commissioners
The Election process shall be organized and overseen for each election cycle by one or more Election Commissioners who shall be determined as follows:
A - Unless the outgoing incumbent serving as Prime Minister plans to be a candidate for election to any office in the Cabinet, including the UN Delegate, or for Speaker of the Regional Assembly in that election cycle, the outgoing Prime Minister shall serve as an Election Commissioner.
B - Unless the outgoing incumbent serving as Minister of Immigration and Internal Affairs plans to be a candidate for election to any office in the Cabinet, including the UN Delegate, or for Speaker of the Regional Assembly in that election cycle, the outgoing Minister of Immigration and Internal Affairs shall serve as an Election Commissioner.
C - In the event either or both the Prime Minister and the Minister of Immigration and Internal Affairs intend to be candidates for election, then the Prime Minister and the Minister of Immigration and Internal Affairs shall designate, with the consent of a majority of the remaining Cabinet Ministers, not less than one nor more than two persons to serve as Election Commissioners for that election cycle. Each designee shall declare their intention not to be a candidate for election during that election cycle to any office and shall have previously served in office as an elected UN Delegate, as Prime Minister, as an elected Cabinet Minister, as Speaker of the Regional Assembly, or as a Justice of The Court of The North Pacific.
D- The designation of Election Commissioners shall be completed not less than 15 days prior to the beginning of the voting period for elections as designated in Section 2.
E - The Election Commissioners may request the ability to view IP addresses of Nations, or request the assistance of the off-site forum administrators, during this period to verify votes.

Hersfold's e-mail:
Also, if you did not get this e-mail, please let me know.

:lol:

I'd like to add that the Vice Delegate position is also up for grabs in the upcoming election (it wasn't mentioned in the e-mail).

Well, one thing at least - the poll should quieten those who have been saying "Nobody is going to stand in the next elections. Democracy is dead and the sky is falling".

Chicken Littles, the lot of them! :lol:

Well, one thing at least - the poll should quieten those who have been saying "Nobody is going to stand in the next elections. Democracy is dead and the sky is falling".

Chicken Littles, the lot of them! :lol:
Hmmm, I'm suprised actually. I hadn't said it, but I was thinking it. :blush:

I was thinking of running but not sure what to run for, without offending someone by taking there position. Although, i wouldn't lose to much sleep over it.

Vice Delegate sounds quite cool.. Anyone have an opinion/suggestion for me? :D

Can someone list the positions that someone like me could stand for in this election, or point me to a pre-existing list?

Has any nation recieved "majority" of NPA endorsments to run for MoD? Nations have been nominated, but must they be approved by NPA members by a certain date? :blink:

I'm not entirely sure how the NPA thing is supposed to work... if somebody asks me for an approval, I figure I'll just give it then.

Here's the list, Conneticun:
  • Prime Minister
  • UN Delegate (Requires UN Membership)
  • Vice Delegate (Requires UN Membership)
  • Minister of Immigration and Internal Affairs
  • Minister of External Affairs
  • Minister of Communications
  • Minister of Justice / Attorney General
  • Minister of Arts & Entertainment (Requires mild insanity :P)
  • Minister of Defense (Requires NPA membership and approval)
  • Minister of Culture and Education
  • Speaker of the Regional Assembly (Requires RA Membership)
  • Security Council (Requires RA Membership)
  • Court Justice

The Court Justices are not strictly speaking elected.

TNP Constitution Article V:
Section 2. Chief Justice and Associate Justices.

A - The Chief Justice shall be the head of the Judiciary of The North Pacific Regional Government. The Chief Justice is responsible for oversight of all judiciary activities in the Region, civil, criminal, or otherwise, including hearings on Regional security issues and ejections from the Region.
B - The Chief Justice and the Associate Justices shall serve a term of six months. The Chief Justice and the Associate Justices shall be registered voters who shall hold no other office during their tenure as judges.
C - The term of office of the Chief Justice and Associate Justices shall begin on the first day of the months of August and February. Nominations and referendums for the full term shall take place during the months of July and January. The Chief Justice and the Associate Justices shall be nominated by the Prime Minister with the advice and consent of the Cabinet, and during the interim period between the creation of a vacancy in the office of Chief Justice or an Associate Justice and the confirmation and installation of a successor to that office, the nominee shall serve as an acting judicial officer on the Court of The North Pacific and have the authority to exercise the duties and responsibilities of the office.
D - The appointment must thereafter be approved at a referendum, which shall extend for seven days, of the registered voters of The North Pacific, with the participation of a quorum, by at least a 50 per cent vote in favor of a motion for confirmation. The nomination and referendum election shall be conducted as expeditiously as practicable. If the motion for confirmation fails to receive such approval, then the appointee is not confirmed to serve as a judicial officer, and the Prime Minister shall promptly propose another nominee, with the advice and consent of the Cabinet, who shall act as a judicial officer, subject to approval of a motion for confirmation in a referendum by the registered voters of the Region.

In other words, Justices for the new Court term must be nominated and voted on by the registered voters before the end of this month. There are only four days left to get the referendum to confirm the appointments under way and completed before the end of the month.

As stated in Article III Section 4 of the Condtitution:
5) To stand for election as the Minister of Defense, a candidate shall have received the endorsement of a majority of the nations then in active service in the North Pacific Army within seven days prior to nomination or declaration of candidacy. Members of the North Pacific Army may endorse one or more candidates that stand for election as Minister of Defense in the same election.

As noted in the quoted provision, members of the NPA may endorse "one or more candiudates."

My understanding was that you are expected to endorse all MoD candidates that have declared an intention to run that you believe to be reasonably competent. Not necessarily the best choice, but still competent enough to run for the position. The MoD nominations don't serve as elections, but as a election filter, if you will.

So, yes, NPAers, go nominate/endorse people.

Edit Addendum:
Flem:

Chicken Littles, the lot of them!  :lol:

I caught the reference. ;)

Heft. the "expected" part of your post may well be the unwrittem practice the NPA has chosen to follow -- I don't object to it; all I was trying to show is that the constitution does not limit endorsement to one candidate for MoD in any one election. How the members of the NPA choose to implement that process is an internal process within the NPA.

I'll wait and see hw many actually run and whether or not 80% of them run for 2 or 3 positions while the rest are uncontested or worse...nobody nominates for some of the offices!!

I think I'm overqualified to run for the MoAE, but I'm gonna anyway. I've done it before, and I can do it again! Woohoo!

So...if we're gonna run....what't teh protocol?

Back