The Speaker's Desk

spk_seal.png

From the Speaker's Desk
January 25th, 2019

It is my pleasure to announce that I will be appointing two additional Deputy Speakers for this term. I look forward to working with these individuals and believe that they will make excellent additions to the Speaker's Office. Congratulations @Bobberino and @Ark and be sure to take your oaths of office.

5vbqjZU.png

Thank you for your vote of confidence. I assure you I will assist you in as many ways as you see fit.

Last edited:
When I fought for Artemis to become a member of the Security Council, I had no idea that he’d eventually ask me to serve as his "senior" Deputy Speaker. I had no intention of serving the government in any capacity this past term, but when Artemis asked me, I knew I had to take up the offer.

I will shortly be moving on to bigger and better things, and I want to thank Artemis, Bobberino, and Ark for serving alongside of me this term, and I wish you all the best going into the remainder of the next term.

It is at this time that I officially resign from the Deputy Speaker position, effective immediately.

Seeing as I am now Minister of Defense... I have no choice but to resign as Deputy Speaker.

This role has been fulfilling, as well as rewarding, and I have very much enjoyed serving the legislative branch. I now know how to do many of the tasks required of a Speaker. I would like to remain on the Speaker's Staff and continuously help out the legislative branch in whichever way the Speaker sees fit. Thank you, Artemis, for appointing me and sticking with me. Let's keep making amazing things happen. 07

spk_seal.png

May - August 2019 Term
Howdy All,

Here we are once again at the start of a fresh term, we have a new Delegate, a returning Vice Delegate, and a returning Speaker. Within the week we shall also have a new Attorney General. Thank you to everyone that voted and to those that ran in this General Election. Once again every position faced competition for the seat and we had a strong showing from the electorate!

As my previous opening address, I do not have many special plans for this office except for improvements from the previous term. We will continue to work to provide a smooth legislative process and offer the opportunity for everyone's voices to be heard. As a Speaker's Office this term we will work towards the following:
  • Prompt and Accurate Citizenship Checks with the accurate information recorded in the Citizenship & Resident Rolls.
  • Review and Publication of the Speaker's Manual
  • Monthly publications in cooperation with the Ministry of Communications in the form of the RA Highlights.
  • Assist newer members in turning their ideas into legislative action

Two major changes that I shall be reviewing and discussing with my Deputies shall be the status of the Speaker's Staff and the effectiveness of the Regional Assembly Digest, a publication previously dispersed to the citizens either via Telegram or Dispatch. Neither will be an immediate change but ones that will be thoroughly evaluated and discussed.

To assist starting out this term, I will be appointing @Dreadton as Deputy Speaker. They showed a strong campaign this election cycle and a true willingness to learn about what this office is about prior to running. I know they will be a great asset to the office and I look forward to working with them. Some additional appointments will be made over the coming days.

I want to thank everyone once again for the opportunity to serve you as Speaker of the Regional Assembly. Here's to a great term ahead of us!

5vbqjZU.png

I happily accept the appointment to Deputy Speaker and look forward to working with you.

spk_seal.png

From the Speaker's Desk
May 20th, 2019

It is my pleasure to announce that I will be appointing an additional Deputy Speaker for this term. I look forward to working with @Funkadelia and believe that they will make an excellent addition to the Speaker's Office. Congratulations and be sure to take your oaths of office.

spk_seal.png

From the Speaker's Desk
May 23rd, 2019

And I have one more appointment to make, welcome @Brendog to the Speaker's Office as a Deputy Speaker. Please take your oath.

@Artemis, with the results of the Justice Race now official, I am announcing my resignation from Deputy Speaker. My time as a deputy speaker has been exciting and educational. The Speaker has been a great help in providing the education I needed to be a quality Deputy Speaker. I hope to serve with you again.

Dreadton

spk_seal.png

From the Speaker's Desk
End of Term Address
What a time it has been these past two terms. The Regional Assembly has been quite active these past eight months. The Regional Assembly held debate on over 40 proposals, with 18 of those items receiving a vote. We saw new members of the community making proposals and participating in debate. This is something that had me most excited during this past term. I was happy with the progress that this office has made in maintaining activity and focus on the job. It has been an honor serving as Speaker of the Regional Assembly and I wish the next Speaker the upmost amount of luck in leading this office forward.

Warmest Regards,

~Artemis

spk_seal.png

Opening Address: September - December 2019 Term
Citizens of this great region,

First off, I would like to acknowledge the work of my predecessor in this office, Artemis, and wish him all the best for his new position as Vice Delegate. I will certainly have big shoes to fill.

Secondly, I want to thank all of you, the citizenry of The North Pacific, for placing your trust in me and giving you the opportunity for me to serve you as the next Speaker. I know this is a cliché, but I wouldn't have dreamed of it when I first came here just a few months ago. Of course, it was an incredibly close election, against a very worthy opponent in Dreadton, who I have no doubt would be more than capable of this job if elected. This also means, though, that there are high expectations for me coming into this office, and I will try my best to fulfill them.

As mentioned in my campaign, the Speaker's duty is, first and foremost, is ensuring the functioning of democracy in the region by faithfully conducting citizenship checks, and thus, I will endeavour to conduct these checks and accept new citizens at least every two days, or delegate the duty efficiently to Deputy Speakers. I will also endeavour to continue Artemis' consistency in conducting Regional Assembly votes, and keep in place the system created by Artemis to keep track of the status of bills in discussion.

Of course, the major project I have set out for this term is the "Know your laws" initiative as discussed in my campaign. My hope is that we can collaborate with the Ministry of Home Affairs to publish some Gameside guides, as well as within the forums for new citizens. More details will follow when the project officially starts.

Another project I talked about briefly in my campaign is to do with the RA Highlights in The Northern Lights. I'm planning on creating a guide and format for writing the RA Highlights, and I hope to encourage more citizens to take up this opportunity to write this important monthly report. Work on both the above projects will begin shortly when I finish appointing all my Deputy Speakers.

Speaker of Deputy Speakers, the first person I'm appointing to this position is @Kaschovia. As many of you know, Kasch has served in many executive government positions including as Vice Delegate, Minister of multiple ministries and Deputy Minister. Since his recent return, Kasch has been enthusiastic about participating in government again, and approached me about furthering his experience in the legislative area. I will be appointing 2 more Deputy Speakers in the coming days, and if you are interested in this position, please contact me either on Discord (my usertag is An_Dr_Ew#7746; you can also find me on TNP Discord) or via a forum PM, and tell me why you want to be Deputy Speaker and any ideas you have for the Speaker's Office. Please contact me by the 16th of September.

Thanks again for electing me as your Speaker of the Regional Assembly, and let's look forward to a great term!

Last edited:
Congratulations Gorundu, I’m sure you’ll do great this term. I am delighted to have been offered the opportunity to expand my knowledge of the legislative branch of the North Pacific through the Deputy Speaker position and I look forward to working with Gorundu and any more Deputy Speakers appointed over the next term.

Great opening address! If there's anything the Ministry of Radio can do to help inform citizens of the Constitution, Bill of Rights, Legal Code, and any applicable treaties through the Know Your Laws program, just let me know.

spk_seal.png

From the Speaker's Desk
As stated in my Opening Address, I will be appointing two additional Deputy Speakers for this term. So please join me in welcoming these two new (or not so new) members of the team:

@Yukkira - Yuki is obviously no newbie to TNP, and in fact no newbie to the Speaker's Office either. She has most notably served as Minister of Culture, and was Deputy Speaker for a very short time. That said, she's excited to get back into legislative affairs after returning to TNP, and I'm excited to have her in my team given her enthusiasm.

@Darcania - Darc needs no introduction, if I wrote one it would take too long. He's just here to get a masking above the plebs. Of course, the reason he is appointed is his vast knowledge as a veteran of the Speaker's Office as a former Speaker, which will no doubt help the day-to-day running of the Speaker's Office.

Congratulations on the appointments and please take your oaths.

Yuki is a dude. Interesting choice in any case. Also very good to utilize the experienced former Speaker as deputy strategy, worked quite well for me.

Nope. I am a grill. A very shiny, dark-wood, polished grill. I can fit 20 hamburgers at a time on my upper rack (they flip both ways). Or in a cinch, I can fit forty-hotdogs in both my top and main racks. They just need to be touching and be lined, end-to-end.

9wQcTWc.jpg

By order of the court, Bobberino is to be barred from voting for a period of five months (until February 19, 2020).
Thank you for the notice. Bobberino has been added to the list of citizens disqualified from voting.

Mr Speaker, might I request a return to previous practice in respect of bills (and, indeed, motions) that have been disposed of at vote by the Assembly, such that the titles of the voting threads be prepended with "PASSED", "FAILED" or similar, rather than simply "CLOSED" as the lack of information as to the fate of the proposals in the titles can make looking through the Assembly's historical record somewhat more tedious than it need be.

Mr. Speaker, I’d like to note a citizenship application error that you failed to recognize. In this post, the applicant put both ‘NS’ and ‘Nation’ below the oath. Not to mention for nation they mentioned their forum account, not Nationstates account. And finally, they put their Nationstates nation for ‘NS’ and technically NA isn’t a recognize term in our citizenship oath.
Chapter 6: Regional Assembly Statues:
Section 6.1: Citizenship Applications
2. Any resident may apply for citizenship using their regional forum account, by providing the name of their nation in The North Pacific, and swearing an oath as follows:
I pledge loyalty to The North Pacific, obedience to her laws, and responsible action as a member of her society. I pledge to only register one nation to vote in The North Pacific. I pledge that no nation under my control will wage war against the North Pacific. I understand that if I break this oath I may permanently lose my voting privileges. In this manner, I petition the Speaker for citizenship in The North Pacific.
I call on the Speaker to overturn their decision of passing them with the Speaker’s check and informing them to put their Nationstates nation in ‘Nation’ and not include their forum account whatsoever.

Mr. Speaker, I’d like to note a citizenship application error that you failed to recognize. In this post, the applicant put both ‘NS’ and ‘Nation’ below the oath. Not to mention for nation they mentioned their forum account, not Nationstates account. And finally, they put their Nationstates nation for ‘NS’ and technically NA isn’t a recognize term in our citizenship oath.

I call on the Speaker to overturn their decision of passing them with the Speaker’s check and informing them to put their Nationstates nation in ‘Nation’ and not include their forum account whatsoever.
Technically, the law only asks for their nation name to be provided and the oath to be posted, and doesn't specify the order or the label one needs to apply. In this case, it was clear to me that the nation is Sandhok Island, and thus I accepted the application. However, I will include a reminder on the correct procedure.
Mr Speaker, might I request a return to previous practice in respect of bills (and, indeed, motions) that have been disposed of at vote by the Assembly, such that the titles of the voting threads be prepended with "PASSED", "FAILED" or similar, rather than simply "CLOSED" as the lack of information as to the fate of the proposals in the titles can make looking through the Assembly's historical record somewhat more tedious than it need be.
Thank you for the suggestion. I will do this for future votes, and edit past ones if time allows.

To expand on Zyvet’s thought, perhaps we could pass a new amendment in the Regional Assembly Rules to note whether or not something has passed, failed, etc.
Rules of the Regional Assembly of The North Pacific:
Section 2. Voting

1. No more than two legislative votes may take place simultaneously at any time.

2. Unless otherwise required by law, votes of the Regional Assembly will last for a minimum of three and a maximum of seven days.

3. The Speaker will, at the beginning of a vote of the Regional Assembly, decide its duration as permitted by law.

4. If a number of citizens equal to or exceeding one third of the number of votes required to achieve quorum for any legislative vote object to the duration of a vote of the Regional Assembly decided by the Speaker before the conclusion of the vote, then that vote will last for the maximum duration permitted by law.

5. If at the conclusion of a vote quorum has not been achieved, then the Speaker may extend the duration of the vote to the maximum permitted by law.

6. The Speaker may accordingly amend a voting thread’s title to include the results or status of the legislative item.
Correct, it would, to include this. It’s been precedence for some time now and would like to see what you would think of adding something similar to this in the Standing rules of this August Assembly.

To expand on Zyvet’s thought, perhaps we could pass a new amendment in the Regional Assembly Rules to note whether or not something has passed, failed, etc.

Correct, it would, to include this. It’s been precedence for some time now and would like to see what you would think of adding something similar to this in the Standing rules of this August Assembly.
I think this is best added to the Standing Procedures rather than requiring a vote to amend the Rules of the RA. But yes, I think it would be a good addition.

Back