TNP Nation
Simone_Republic
Discord
simonenstnp
ga.jpg

Star gazing day
Category: Environmental | Industry: All Business - Mild
Proposed by: Namwenia, Co-author: Dixionconderoga | Onsite Topic

Recognizing artificial light pollution as the presence of unwanted, inappropriate, or excessive artificial lighting directly resulting from most modern, industrialized societies;

Acknowledging that excessive artificial light pollution minimizes the visibility of celestial objects such as neighboring planets, moons, or stars;

Noting that gazing into the night sky is an ancient tradition from time immemorial universally acknowledged by nearly all sapient cultures;

Therefore, the following shall be enacted:

1. The date following the approval of this proposal, as determined by the calendars widely accepted in each member state, shall henceforth be known as Star Gazing Day.
  2. The World Assembly urges member states to minimize artificial light usage, except wherever necessary, beginning at sundown on Star Gazing Day.
  3. The World Assembly further encourages sapient citizens of member states to take time during the evening on Star Gazing Day to look out into the sky and enjoy the splendor of the heavens.
  4. If there are existing regional, national, or local holidays that occur concurrently with the date selected for Star Gazing Day in a member state, the World Assembly encourages member states' celebration of the spirit of Star Gazing Day on a separate, nearby date.
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations and NPA personnel will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

ForAgainstAbstainPresent

Last edited by a moderator:
Overview
The proposal at hand requires WA member states to designate a day as Star Gazing Day, and to encourage sapient citizens of member states to take time during the evening on Star Gazing Day to look out into the sky and "enjoy the splendor of the heavens".

Recommendation
We believe this proposal represents a wasted opportunity to either promote astronomy and space exploration, or to reduce light pollution in cities, both worthy goals. Instead it has ended up making a largely symbolic move to declare a day on the calendar to be Star Gazing Day and encourage some observation of the sky which does not appear to be meaningful.

For these reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote Against the General Assembly resolution at vote, "Star Gazing Day".

Last edited by a moderator:
Note that this is an exact submission of the one that went inquorate in March, except for a minor formatting change

Also this has been ruled legal the last time it was submitted.

SL ruled it legal and I think it technically is, based on article 1. A member state is required to (as a minimum, I guess) issue a proclamation of a Star Gazing Day, so I guess it satisfies the barest minimum. (Of course that proclamation can be buried in page 39784 of the gazette published on the day after the Oscars or whatever.)

Last edited:
I mean, I guess I am broadly neutral on it. It's kind of a minor thing but I suppose resolutions can be pretty minor. (I did "World Assembly Official Merchandise" which basically involved selling branded mugs and body pillows and that still passed anyway). To be honest I'd prefer a resolution that promotes astronomy and exploring space across the multi-verse as being more likely to be useful.

Last edited:
Decided on Present in the end. This is a wasted opportunity. Why doesn't the author do something on astronomy or space exploration or light pollution, or other similar but potential more worthwhile topics? Telling me to look up the sky to try to find Uranus on one of the few days of the year when it can be seen does not seem particularly worthwhile especially when I don't really know much about astronomy, although I am personally quite keen on it just as a reader.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back