-
-
Pronouns
He/Him
TNP Nation
The_Democratic_Kingdom_Of_Skaraborg
Discord
Skaraborg#9816
1. What law, government policy, or action (taken by a government official) do you request that the Court review?

Does the Speaker have the right to remove someone's citizenship if the citizen renounces it? It has been done previously, for example here or here, but there is no law stating that this action is permitted/lawful. If the former actions of the Speaker were illegal, then are the former citizens who had their citizenship revoked through request still citizens?

2. What portions of the Constitution, Bill of Rights, Legal Code, or other legal document do you believe has been violated by the above? How so?
Section 6.2: Administration and Loss of Citizenship:
17. The Speaker will maintain a publicly viewable roster of citizens and their registered nations.
18. The Speaker will promptly remove any citizens whose removal is ordered by the Court, or whose registered nations in The North Pacific leave or ceases to exist.
19. The Speaker will promptly remove any citizens who, for over 30 consecutive days, neither post on the regional forum, nor post on the regional message board with their registered nations.
20. The Speaker will promptly remove any citizens whose registered nations in The North Pacific are not in the World Assembly, except as part of an operation with the North Pacific Army, if their citizenship was granted by the Regional Assembly after failing an evaluation by forum administration. This requirement will not apply if the citizens request and then pass another evaluation by forum administration.
21. The Speaker will promptly remove any citizens to whom they granted citizenship in error, if the error is discovered within 7 days of granting their citizenship.
These are the only situations stated by law in which the Speaker may remove a citizen.

3. Are there any prior rulings of the Court that support your request for review? Which ones, and how?
After checking through past rulings regarding the Speaker's office I believe there is no other ruling regarding my request for review.

4. Please establish your standing by detailing how you, personally, have been adversely affected. If you are requesting a review of a governmental action, you must include how any rights or freedoms of yours have been violated.

As the Speaker of the Regional Assembly, I would like to know how I should act if a nation renounces their citizenship. Just recently, The Concrete Slab posted this and renounced their citizenship. The laws of TNP does not specify wether I can remove their citizenship or not, although former Speakers have removed them. Have these previous actions been unlwaful or may I remove their citizenship?

5. Is there a compelling regional interest in resolving your request? If so, explain why it is in the interest of the region as whole for your request to be decided now.

Yes, this will give the current and future Speaker's office the knowledge on how to act in situations when a citizen renounces their citizenship, as well as determining if citizens can renounce their citizenship whenever they want or if they must wait until they've failed to post or moved out of the region to lose their citizenship. If the previous actions of the Speaker were unlawful, this could also affect the former citizens who's citizenship was revoked through a request. I believe it's in the best interest of the region to set a clear precedent on how the Speaker should act.

6. Do you have any further information you wish to submit to the Court with your request?
No, I do not at the moment.

Following from the discussion on Discord, it would seem that the bill passed and it is the text of the law that needs updating. Do you want to uphold the R4R, in light of this?
This isn't actually the case. The ability to renounce was accidentally stricken by the Accelerated Admissions Act, which likely used the wrong version of Section 6.2 as its baseline.

This isn't actually the case. The ability to renounce was accidentally stricken by the Accelerated Admissions Act, which likely used the wrong version of Section 6.2 as its baseline.
Yes, it seems I spoke too soon, as more evidence was being uncovered after I asked. I have made a thread in the Court Chambers, and a Justice will come back when we have decided whether we take the case.

I would ask the Speaker to drop this r4r. The law is crystal clear: it was unintentional, but we currently do not have a provision for renouncing citizenship. One was passed but it was, unbeknownst to the RA, repealed by subsequent legislation. In the interest of saving the Court time I hope the Speaker agrees there is no need to pursue this matter, as the question has an obvious answer.

I withdraw the R4R. I instead hope there will be new legislation promptly to resolve this simple issue so I can deal with Concrete Slab’s renounciation of citizenship. As stated by Ghost on discord, I am currently not permitted to remove them as citizens.

Last edited:
Back