Deputy Speaker
-
-
-
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
spk_seal.png

Published Speakers Office Guides
In order to better inform the region as to the work the Speaker's Office, I am publishing a number of guides that were prepared and made under my predecessor in the office. Two of these guides were completed prior to me taking office, with others yet to be begun. This work has not progressed from that point, due to the deputy who volunteered to take up the task becoming a Minister. Should the next occupant of the office seek to take this task, they can this thread. The guides that are currently completed - and will be posted here - are:
Citizenship Application - Standard Application Process
Closing a Voting Thread
The guides that are yet to be written are the following:
Citizenship Application - Failed Vice Delegate Checks
Citizenship Application - Failed Admin Check Appeal
Citizenship Status Check
Non-legislative motions: Appointment of Prosecutors
Non-legislative motions: Nomination to the Election Commission
Processing an Regional Assembly Motion
Opening a Vote

Citizenship Application - Standard Application Process
Prerequisites:
None

Step 0: Open up both the Pending Citizenship Applications sheet and the Citizenship Application forum thread. Scroll down to the last post in the Citizenship Application forum thread.

Step 1: For every application, take note of the nation name of the application. (They should only fill in a nation name without the pretitle, eg. PotatoFarmers. Officially, if the nation name contains the pretitle, eg. The Republic of PotatoFarmers, we are to reject them, however, anyone can exercise discretion if the nation name without the pretitle is obvious.)

Step 2: Enter the following details into the Pending Citizenship Applications spreadsheet:
An example of how the spreadsheet looks like is below:

Step 3: For all new applications, check if they pass the Speaker's Check. To pass the Speaker's Check, the following criteria must be fulfilled:
  • Nation needs to exist and be located in The North Pacific.
  • The citizenship oath, word for word as below (Tip: Just Ctrl+F/Command+F and then see if the oath is highlighted as an instance of the oath. If there are missing words, the oath would not be highlighted in full.)
    I pledge loyalty to The North Pacific, obedience to her laws, and responsible action as a member of her society. I pledge to only register one nation to vote in The North Pacific. I pledge that no nation under my control will wage war against the North Pacific. I understand that if I break this oath I may permanently lose my voting privileges. In this manner, I petition the Speaker for citizenship in The North Pacific.

Step 4: Look at previous pending applications, and see if they have passed other checks.

Step 5: For every check that passes, you enter the date of passing in the relevant column. If not, check the box, that application is considered to have failed. Please reject them explicitly on the citizenship applications thread.
Step 5a:
If an applicant fails the Vice Delegate Check, proceed with the procedure for failing Vice Delegate Checks.
Step 5b: If an applicant fails the Admin Check due to them not having a residential IP address, mask them as resident (add them to the resident sheet, and add them to the resident joinable group). If they approach you, direct them to the possibility of an appeal. See the procedure for Admin Check Appeals.

Step 6: For an application to pass, they have to pass all 3 checks - Speaker's Check, Vice Delegate's Check, and Admin Check. If all check passes, proceed to complete the following:
Step 6a: Make a corresponding post on the Citizenship Applications forum thread that they have passed all 3 checks and will therefore be masked as a citizen.
Step 6b: On the forums, go to joinable groups under Members and mask them in Citizens group (like how you mask executive staffers). The joinable group should look like the below:
Step 6c: Copy their Forum Name, Nation and Profile, make a new row in the Citizens page, and then paste the details in. The number on the first column should be previous number + 1, pull the formula for column I and J down, the rest of the columns leave it blank
Step 6d: Where applicable, remove from Residents sheet and remove their Residents masking if they had one.

Closing a Voting Thread
Prerequisites:
1. Know how to do citizenship status check.

Step 1: Run a standard citizenship status check. This should be a standard procedure before any vote counting.

Step 2: Take a look at the opening post of the voting thread. A sample can be found below:
The 2 main things to take note of: when the vote ends (per the example: Friday, Jan 21 2022) as well as the 4 digit order number below the motion (4827).

Step 3: Open the "Counting Sheet" spreadsheet in the Citizenship Registry. Under Order #, replace the number in the white box with the number as found in the Opening Post (4827).

Step 4: For every valid vote in the voting thread, look up the citizen's name and then put their vote in the cell under the "Vote" column. Put y for Aye, n for Nay, and q for Abstain. For votes to be valid, they have to be posted before the end of voting period, and that the citizen should not have their voting rights suspended. Take note of the invalid votes.

Step 5: Check if there are voters who are not citizens at the start of voting. This is determined by the Order Number (4827, in this case). On the sheet, it would be marked out in red and ignored in the sheet. Please remove this vote from the counting sheet.
As you can see, it is marked "Discount": View attachment 490

Step 6: Under the excel sheet, check if the quorum is met. If the quorum is not met, by the Regional Assembly Rules, Section 2.5, we will announce an extension of the vote to the maximum time permitted.

Step 7: Check whether the required majority is met. Typically, only a simple majority is required for any confirmation/bill to pass. The following are some exceptions, as required by the Constitution:
  • Making changes to legal documents. Note that any bill changing more than one of the following documents must past the majority required to change all the documents as required by the bill, for the bill to be considered as passed.
    • Legal Code: A simple majority is required to change the Legal Code.
    • Constitution: A 2/3rd majority is required to change the Constitution. (See Article 8 of the Constitution)
    • Bill of Rights: A 3/4th majority is required to change the Bill of Rights. (See Article 8 of the Constitution)
  • Passing a treaty. A 2/3rd majority is required to pass the treaty as negotiated by the Delegate/Minister of Foreign Affairs. (See Article 3, Clause 3 of the Constitution)
  • Overriding a veto. Should the Delegate veto a proposal by the Regional Assembly, a 2/3rd majority is required to override such a veto (See Article 3, Clause 5 & Clause 6 of the Constitution)
  • Confirmation of a member to the Security Council. If the applicant is nominated by the Security Council, a majority is enough to confirm them to the Security Council. However, if the Security Council doesn't nominate an applicant, or act on their application within 30 days, a 2/3rd majority is required to pass their confirmation. (See Article 5, Clause 2 of the Constitution)

Step 8: Under the Voting Post Templates, find the appropriate closing post and fill in the blanks. The list of Aye, Nay and Abstain voters can be obtained from the sheet. Also fill in the list of invalid votes per the respective templates.

Step 9: Post the appropriate closing post. Lock the thread, and change the title of the thread to mark its status (ie. Passed or Failed)

Step 10: Copy the Paste column in the Counting Spreadsheet. Create a new column in the Citizens sheet, and paste that column directly into the sheet. At the first row, note whether it is a legislative vote (ie. voting on amending one of the legal documents, or adding a new treaty); or a non-legislative vote (eg. recall, confirmation). At the second row, note the date and link to the voting thread, using the following formula:
Code:
=HYPERLINK("@@LINK TO VOTING THREAD@@","DATE OF THREAD OPENING")
See screenshot below for how it should look like.

Step 11: If the proposal requires a change to the Legal Code, please present the proposal to the delegate here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back