Marcus' Model Railway Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
benidorm.jpg

The RAF's display Typhoon has been repainted to mark 80 years since the D-Day landings.

The aircraft, based at RAF Coningsby in Lincolnshire, has been given a camouflage colour scheme and black and white stripes on its wings.

The 80th anniversary of D-Day, the Allied invasion of Normandy in 1944, will be marked on 6 June.

The Typhoon's pilot said "it means the world to me" to be honouring the history with the new markings.

The jet has been painted in a livery replicating the Hawker Typhoon MK1 flown by Denzel Jenkins, the commanding officer of 257 Squadron at the end of World War Two.

The yellow lines along the edges of the wings helped pilots spot Allied planes during dogfights.

The black and white stripes on the wings, also known as invasion stripes or D-Day stripes, were painted on to allow the army and navy to distinguish friend from foe.

The Typhoon display pilot for 2024 Flt Lt David Turnbull said the stripes would have been "hastily painted on" during WW2.

"Usually they'd have been the width of an RAF broom, that's how quickly they were painted on, they'd just dip it in the paint and slam it on the aircraft," Flt Lt Turnbull said.

"It's a bit neater here," he added.

The new Typhoon livery replicates a Hawker Typhoon MK1 flown in WW2
benidorm.jpg

Then it's off to another of our drinking spots.....

The Flash Hotel, the bar is a great place to people watch and there are some good live music artists to entertain you as well.

We normally get here at Happy Hour, 2 drinks for the price of one.

We are sat opposite the S.A.T.E, which stands for "El Servicio de Atencion al Turista Extranjero", which roughly translates to Foreign Tourist Assistance Office.

Visitors that use this office will be attended to in English, French, German or Russian.

The Foreign Tourist Assistance Service is a police department whose role is to offer foreign tourists, visiting the city, personalised assistance after having suffered a criminal offence or similar incident.

Assistance is given by the National Police Service and personnel from the Tourist Board.

The tourist is given assistance in their own language and will be helped in reporting crime, lost passports etc.

benidorm.jpg

Here's a zoom shot from the Flash Hotel towards the start of the 'strip'.

Morgan Tavern is a great music venue at night.

This place was used for the comedy series 'Benidorm', 'Neptunes Bar'.

The large white building is our hotel, the Hotel Riudor.

We've stayed there many times.

benidorm.jpg

I think this shot really confused the automatic setting on my camera. :lol:

The place looked really nice, I bet it gets really busy at night.

In the daytime only the terrace bar is open where they have an offer of two beers [pints], Amstel if I remember correctly, for €3.

benidorm.jpg

Back on the Calle Derramador we come across Uncle Peds, this is a great bar and the food is good too.

They make a wicked kebab. :)

It was €1.99 for a pint of Amstel or you could buy bottles for €1.05.

You can see Cleo's disability scooter parked up near the kerb, she loved that, gave her so much freedom.

benidorm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back