Hulldom
Discord
seathestarlesssky
sc.jpg

Declaration on Hippopotamuses
Category: Declaration
Proposed by: Bears Armed Mission | Onsite Topic

The World Assembly,

Aware that species of animals can differ considerably from each other in terms of their members' average and maximum sizes,

Also aware that the size of an animal can affect how easy it is for people to cope with that animal's presence,

And believing that some nations' governments might benefit from possessing knowledge about certain species' average and maximum adult sizes in order to develop plans for coping with those species before any members of those species enter those nations' territories;

Hereby,
1. Reminds this organization's member-nations that although there were two unsuccessful attempts at passing Hippopotamus-related legislation in the early days of its historic precursor there is currently a total lack of extant WA legislation about Hippopotamuses (hereinafter referred to as "Hippos");

2. Affirms that no true Hippo is a "pygmy";

3. Notes that Hippos can become aggressive towards people, as well as towards other animals, without any warning;

4. Informs all of this organization's member nations that, with known maximum lengths in excess of 16 ½ feet and maximum weights [in the wild] in excess of 4'400 pounds, Hippos are really very large.
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations and NPA personnel will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

[TR][TD]For[/TD][TD] Against [/TD][TD] Abstain [/TD][TD] Present [/TD][/TR][TR][TD]12[/TD][TD]3[/TD][TD]0[/TD][TD]0[/TD][/TR]

Last edited:
Overview

This proposal seeks to spread information as to the size of hippopotamuses, and warn nations about their belligerence. This is a reference to several early proposals in the United Nations, entitled "HIPPOS ARE BIG" and subsequently "HIPPOS ARE REALLY QUITE LARGE", which spurred one of the longest-lasting and most prevalent jokes in the United Nations/World Assembly community.

Recommendation This proposal immortalizes a joke that has had a significant influence on the World Assembly community. Despite this, it manages to not be a joke proposal, instead merely recognizing that the joke exists. This is a perfect representation of something that can be done with the new declarations category, and is important in recognizing the history of the World Assembly and helps bring out lightheartedness that, as time goes on, is increasingly difficult to find within the World Assembly.

For these reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote FOR the at-vote Security Council proposal, "Declaration on Hippopotamuses."

For - an actual good WA meme, dating back to the old UN, and we can right the historic wrong of not passing resolutions about hippopotamuses in the past.

For - a lot of people will be opposed because "the SC is a very serious place and joke proposals are bad" but I have never really agreed with that sentiment, and this is a history lesson, if anything.

Also, side note, but I wish I asked BA to change the title. "Declaration on..." is even worse than "On..." imo, and it almost makes me want to oppose, but it's not worth it.

In very big news, this proposal has achieved the necessary approvals to enter the formal queue. Barring it being withdrawn or marked illegal, it will proceed to a vote at Wednesday’s Major Update.

This proposal will instead proceed to a vote at next Sunday’s Major Update following the accession to the queue of Commend Pencil Sharpeners 2.

Last edited:
For (non-WA). You know what? This proposal isn't a complete joke and I guess paying respects to the UN isn't an awful idea.

At first glance and without knowing the history, I thought that this resolution was intended to point out how SC declarations could be misused. The memery doesn't convince me enough to flip from my first impression.

Against

For, everything said is true.
Is it me or does the message sent out to all nations contain a wrong link?
It may, though take that up with Kastonvia. I do not have access to the TNL nation which could correct the mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back