Volcanic Activity Convention
Category: Regulation | Area of Effect: Safety
Proposed by: Minskiev | Onsite Topic
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations and NPA personnel will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote.The World Assembly,
Mindful that some nations are ill-prepared in the case of volcanic activity and that volcanic activity is mostly unpreventable;
Aware of the consequences that eruptions and volcanic hazards have on the environment and society if such volcanic activity is unprepared for;
Granting that disaster preparedness is already required by a previously passed resolution;
Mortified that the previous resolution says nothing on cooperation between member nations when it comes to handling disasters like multinational volcanic activity;
Attempting to legislate for a plan of action during volcanic activity, to help cooperation between all those affected by volcanic activity;
Co-authored by Araraukar
- Defines, for this resolution, volcanic activity as the activity of a volcano;
- Mandates that member nations whose populations face the risks of volcanic activity:
- Address all predicted, current, and recent past volcanic activity within national borders by:
- preparing for volcanic activity while working to minimize the loss of life, property damage potentially caused by volcanic activity, and when reasonable damage to the environment through warning systems, evacuation procedures, food, water, and shelter distribution, and the prevention of premature returns to evacuated areas;
- actively preventing further damage by volcanic activity and distributing relevant necessary resources to where they are needed; and
- reversing the damage caused by recent volcanic activity within reason;
- Work with nations likely to be significantly affected to prepare for any volcanic activity via communication and combined efforts to protect the general public from volcanic activity or the damage it will or has caused, including providing aid to each other in an evacuation;
- Inform their populace with regularly updated, widely available, and locally specific information on the dangers of volcanic activity however they see fit;
- Take whichever evacuation measures ensure that:
- anyone at immediate risk of volcanic activity knows how to evacuate, when to evacuate, and where to evacuate to;
- law enforcement and emergency services are ready for evacuation, are trained to direct traffic during an evacuation, and are capable of evacuating those unable to evacuate themselves;
- complete evacuation time is minimal through proper use of infrastructure;
- emergency shelters are mobile and flexible enough to house and meet the demands of the evacuated;
- Recommends that nations at risk of volcanic activity work with the World Assembly Disaster Bureau and all other relevant WA organizations to improve the safety of the general public from volcanic activity;
- Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
- Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
- Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
- Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Volcanic Activity Convention was passed 11,148 (86.5%) to 1,735 (13.5%).