Jedinsto

Registered
ga.jpg

Repeal: International Salvage Laws
Category: Repeal | GA #50
Proposed by: Jedinsto | Onsite Topic
Replacement: Onsite Drafting Thread

The World Assembly,

Recognizing that this resolution does not actually mandate anything, only suggest its measures be enacted, while also operating under the impression that it is mandating something,

Noting that this resolution even fails to provide justification for its attempted action, only saying that such justification exists,

Wishing to remove such incredibly weak and inadequate legislation from the pages of international law,

Believing that stronger, more adequate legislation on the topic of international waters is necessary,

Hereby repeals GA#50, "International Salvage Laws."
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations and NPA personnel will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

[TR][TD]For[/TD][TD]Against[/TD][TD] Abstain [/TD][TD] Present [/TD][/TR][TR][TD]10[/TD][TD]5[/TD][TD]2[/TD][TD]2[/TD][/TR]

“Repeal: ‘International Salvage Laws’” passed 12,145 votes (91.5%) to 1,125 votes (8.5%).

Last edited by a moderator:
IFV

Overview
This resolution seeks to repeal GA 50 “International Salvage Laws," citing the fact that it contains no actual mandates or justification. The repeal also cites a desire for stronger and more easily enforceable provisions on the subject of international maritime assistance.

Recommendation
The target resolution is an arguably pointless one that contains no actual mandates or requirements. The repeal's author is correct in noting that there is a lack of a justification for the target's provisions, and that the target is inherently fluff. While the repeal is quite terse, there is not all that much to say about the target resolution.

For these reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends voting For the at-vote General Assembly proposal, “Repeal ‘International Salvage Laws.'"

Last edited:
Additionally, this proposal has achieved the necessary approvals to enter the formal queue. It will proceed to vote in just about two days at Friday’s Major Update.

Last edited:
Against, on the count that it seems that the target needs not be repealed in order to fulfill the ultimate goal of the repeal. Upon passage of a stronger proposal, I may support a repeal similar to this one (as happened in the case of GA551, Repeal On Abortion).

GA551, Repeal On Abortion
Repeal On Abortion was not repealed solely for being useless, it had harmful mandates that hindered people’s access to abortion but since good mandates were now covered by other resolutions the resolution could be repealed for being a liability to abortion rights. International Salvage Laws is a lot more harmless, so even with the passage of a better proposal I may not be supportive of a subsequent repeal (but not as vehemently opposed as to a repeal being proposed NOW though)

Against, on the count that it seems that the target needs not be repealed in order to fulfill the ultimate goal of the repeal. Upon passage of a stronger proposal, I may support a repeal similar to this one (as happened in the case of GA551, Repeal On Abortion).
Sep does have a replacement in the works, and he had planned to submit after the repeal instead of vice-versa.

I'm not really sure what you mean here. Could you explain?
Personally, I think you should improve on the wording here.

[TD]Believing that stronger, more adequate legislation on the topic of international waters is necessary[/TD]

Such as?

Perhaps you could elaborate more on this point. Or at least something to that effect?

Just a suggestion that I think might be able to help you. Purely optional.

Last edited:
I don't agree with this united opposition here. The repeal is factually correct. It does not misconstrue, exaggerate, or otherwise falsify any part of the target resolution. One should not be compelled to meet some arbitrary length or detail requirement when the flaws with the target resolution are clearly and succinctly laid out. Sure, I believe that the last clause should have been fleshed out more. Certainly not a significant enough reason for me to vote against.

For (Non-WA).

What more is the opposition asking for? I think this is definitely supportable, considering that the replacement is very well out. Badge Hunting? Maybe, given the length of the repeal. There are things to be better written in more detail, but seriously, the flaws are pointed out. And I agree with @Greater Cesnica here. Here is another for from me!

“Repeal: ‘International Salvage Laws’” passed 12,145 votes (91.5%) to 1,125 votes (8.5%).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back