Hulldom
Discord
seathestarlesssky
ga.jpg

Long-Term Storage of Produced Waste
Category: Regulation | Area of Effect: Safety
Proposed by: Molopovia | No Onsite Topic​

The General Assembly,

Recognizing that there have been numerous resolutions concerning produced waste storage,

Noting that so far, even with nuclear, chemical and biological resolutions, there has been no catch-all resolution passed to this very day,

Acknowledging that despite all other resolutions' efforts, the problem of non-contained waste is still prevalent today,

Wishing to remedy this situation and further strengthen our goal to alleviate and eliminate produced waste that can harm people and the environment alike,

Further recognizing that although no issue can ever disappear permanently, steps can be taken to alleviate it to the very point where it is no longer significantly affecting our society,

Hereby defines:

PRODUCED WASTE - Any kind of waste discharged from factories and other industrial zones that has the potential to become a problem, e.g. toxic waste, nuclear waste, polluted waste, etc.

BUSINESS - For the purposes of this resolution, any business, private or government-owned, engaging in manufacturing or production of any kinds of goods, or otherwise its operations requiring to operate an Industrial Facility (see definition below.)

STORAGE FACILITY - Facilities carefully constructed and certified to store produced waste inside it without further environmental contamination and destruction for a long period of time.

INDUSTRIAL FACILITY - Any facility owned privately or by the government used to manufacture or produce anything, that can hold the potential of discharging produced waste.

NGOs - Initialism for Non-Government Organizations, of which are private organizations dedicating funding, resources and time to any important cause, in this case the ensured long-term storage of produced waste.

Hereby legislates that:
  1. All private businesses utilizing industrial facilities such as factories, must employ at least one storage facility, whether overground or as a bunker. Preexisting but certified facilities are allowed to be utilized by businesses.
  2. In the event that businesses cannot acquire a storage facility, national governments and NGOs are encouraged to provide for them by constructing facilities or bunkers around their country.
  3. Storage facilities must remain certified as safe for long-term containment, with a minimum standard of 70 years. They must be able to store at least 7,000 metric tons of waste and maintained professionally up until its intended duration.
  4. NGOs and national governments are encouraged to invest time and resources in assisting in the effort to an non-contained waste-free world.
  5. Measures must be taken in order to reduce waste discharge from industrial facilities of businesses.
  6. Penalties in the form of monetary fines shall be distributed to businesses that do not take the necessary measures to store waste properly, even if they are offered facilities from an NGO or a national government.
  7. Subsidization from the World Assembly and willing governments of member-states are encouraged, in order to advance towards the goal of a non-contained waste-free world.
  8. Governments must also take measures to provide for their own industrial state businesses to have their long-term storage facilities of produced waste.
  9. Occasional repairs updates, or overhauls if need be, to the storage facilities shall take place in order to maintain their upkeep as they age.
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations and NPA personnel will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

[TR][TD]For[/TD][TD]Against[/TD][TD] Abstain [/TD][TD] Present [/TD][/TR][TR][TD]4[/TD][TD]12[/TD][TD]0[/TD][TD]0[/TD][/TR]

"Long-Term Storage of Produced Waste" was defeated 12,489 (84.6%) to 2,267 (15.4%).

Last edited:
IFV

Overview
This proposal seeks to regulate the storage of potentially harmful wastes produced by member nations. To this end, the author creates a mandate for the creation of storage facilities to take in and store toxic waste-with minimum capacity and lifetime requirements. Additionally, this proposal creates a mechanism for penalizing member states who non-comply while also encouraging governments to make provision for the storage of potentially hazardous waste created by private companies.

Recommendation:
This proposal has a clear vision for what it wants to do while actively scrambling its operationalization of that vision. While we are sympathetic to the cause of protecting all citizens from potentially hazardous waste and materials, we are skeptical that blanket mandates on all businesses and pleas for subsidization of hazardous waste disposal facilities are an effective way to go about this proposal’s goals.

For those reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote Against the General Assembly Resolution at vote, “Long-Term Storage of Produced Waste”.

Last edited:
Even if it weren't for the laughable double standard raised in this resolution regarding government's responsibilities and the responsibilities of private business, I'm not seeing how point 7 doesn't violate section 2 of GAR #16, but I guess "encouragement" isn't a mandate. Anyways, Against.

I understand the intent of making this proposal and agree to a small extent, however, I've spotted a few things within the points and I don't know how to explain without writing 2 pages worth of text(over-exaggeration) or making it overall confusing.
I do agree with Boston Castle's above post after re-reading and analyzing this proposal about a dozen times. I believe this should be revised, but to abstain on this one seems pointless.

I vote Against

Last edited:
I would prefer specific resolutions (most of which already existing) such as not dumping filtered nuclear waste water after a nuclear accident into the North Pacific due to a lack of storage space.... Oh wait...

Last edited:
This proposal achieved the necessary approvals to enter the formal queue yesterday. My apologies for not updating the thread, was busy with IRL stuff. It will proceed to vote in ~45 minutes at Major Update.

Molopovia has reassured me that he will "[d]efinitely" draft his proposal forumside upon its (now seemingly inevitable) defeat.
I won't support anything of this sort (literally on this topic) by him for quite some time due to this stunt.

I would prefer specific resolutions (most of which already existing) such as not dumping filtered nuclear waste water after a nuclear accident into the North Pacific due to a lack of storage space.... Oh wait...
Against, in case I didn't make that clear.

"Long-Term Storage of Produced Waste" was defeated 12,489 (84.6%) to 2,267 (15.4%).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back