Cretox State
Discord
Cretox#0125
ga.jpg

Standards on Police Accountability
Category: Regulation | Area of Effect: Legal Reform
Proposed by: Isaris | Onsite Topic
The World Assembly,

Recognizing the importance of a police force in the prevention and detection of crime, as well as the maintenance of public order,

Shocked by cases of law enforcement officers abusing their authority to cause harm to those they have sworn to protect and serve, and

Determined to ensure that such incidents occur less frequently around the world,

Hereby enacts the following:
  1. For the purposes of this resolution,
    1. a "locality" is defined as a political subdivision of a nation;

2. "local" is defined as belonging to a particular locality;

3. a "body-worn camera" is defined as a wearable audio, video, or photographic recording device;

4. an "onboard camera" is defined as an audio, video, or photographic recording device affixable to a vehicle;

5. a "police force" is defined as an organization engaged in the enforcement of law on behalf of a national or local government within its jurisdiction;

6. a "law enforcement officer (an LEO)" is defined as an employee of a police force—
      1. who has lawful authority to make arrests or apprehensions; and

2. whose responsibilities are mainly engaging in or supervising the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, or protecting government officials against threats to personal safety.
  2. Member states shall provide a penalty for assault, battery, and homicide committed by LEOs in the line of duty within their national legal codes that is at least equivalent to that provided for the same offenses committed by civilians.
    1. Such a penalty shall not be enforced on any LEO who committed such an offense in self-defense, in the defense of another person or persons, or in the defense of their community at large.

2. Any person convicted of such an offense shall not be permitted to serve as an LEO in a member state unless a mental health professional has concluded upon evaluation that they do not pose a danger to themselves or others.
  3. Member states shall require police forces within their jurisdictions to conduct evaluations by mental health professionals on any person applying for employment at a police force. No person shall be hired to a police force in a member state who has been deemed to pose a danger to themselves or others upon evaluation by a mental health professional.

4. Member states shall require LEOs within their jurisdictions to undergo an annual evaluation by a mental health professional. Any LEO deemed to pose a danger to themselves or others shall no longer be authorized to carry deadly weapons until a mental health professional has concluded upon a subsequent evaluation that they no longer pose such a danger.

5. Member states shall provide access to recourse against police forces and LEOs for civilians who are, or are family members of, victims of police misconduct within their national legal codes.

6. Member states shall provide police forces within their jurisdictions with body-worn cameras and require LEOs within their jurisdictions to equip body-worn cameras, and provide police forces within their jurisdictions with onboard cameras and require those forces to affix onboard cameras to any vehicles owned by said forces if such technologies are available to the member states.

7. Member states, if domestic funding cannot be obtained, may apply to the WA General Fund as a source of the funding required to provide police forces within their jurisdictions with body-worn cameras and onboard cameras. Monies allocated to member states from the WA General Fund to fulfill these mandates shall only be appropriated for those purposes.

8. Member states shall provide a penalty within their national legal codes for the destruction or discarding of any recording produced by a body-worn camera equipped by an LEO or an onboard camera affixed to a vehicle owned by a police force within their jurisdictions within less than one calendar year of its production or that is evidence in a criminal proceeding, and require police forces within their jurisdictions to maintain any recording produced by such cameras in good working condition and undamaged until it may be lawfully destroyed or discarded.

9. Member states, where such political subdivisions exist, shall strongly encourage local police forces within their jurisdictions to make a good faith effort to hire a majority of their employees from within the communities those forces are policing, and strongly encourage police forces within their jurisdictions to adopt community outreach policies that focus on building trust with the communities those forces are policing.

10. Member states shall require police forces within their jurisdictions to adopt training policies that discourage the unnecessary use of force—especially lethal force—by LEOs as a method of conflict resolution and obtaining compliance from civilians.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

Last edited:
While the proposal reveals the noble intentions of its author, "Standards On Police Accountability" does not achieve the goal its title suggests. Potentially its most significant problem is the fact that the proposal does not mandate that bodycams and onboard cameras ever be turned on, providing nations with a major loophole. Secondly, the proposal defines "police force" and "law enforcement officer" in a way that is overly broad and includes institutions (e.g., intelligence services) that are not intended to be included. Lastly, the proposal jeopardises the safety of undercover officers by requiring them to wear bodycams.

For these reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends voting Against the GA proposal, "Standards On Police Accountability".

Last edited:
Against. Body cameras can be used to spy on citizens. Furthermore, lethal force is often required in cases with terrorism, serial killers, etc. Furthermore, this does not define murder by police well. Also, body cameras do not really solve anything.

This is not a WA issue. Policing is far to nuanced for any broad-sweeping reform to apply to all member nations.

Against

For. Saint Peter is incorrect and I have addressed why in my thread on the NS forum. I also can't help but wonder why no one mentioned these things when I posted my draft to the WALL forum, well before submission!

For. Saint Peter is incorrect and I have addressed why in my thread on the NS forum. I also can't help but wonder why no one mentioned these things when I posted my draft to the WALL forum, well before submission!
You have admitted that the proposal does not actually require bodycams ever to be turned on. Calling that a benefit instead of what it obviously is (a huge flaw) doesn't change that. Also, you rushed the proposal, so of course some problems come up after submission.

Unfortunately, your vote won't count because your WA nation is in Equilism (why would anyone have their WA in Equilism now?), not TNP.

Unfortunately, your vote won't count because your WA nation is in Equilism (why would anyone have their WA in Equilism now?), not TNP.
Sorry, I should've read things more carefully. I hope my commenting here is still fine. That's also a bit of a rude way to speak about a region that's been TNP's historical ally.

Last edited:
Against, for reasons outlined above and the author's attitude exhibited in the NS forum thread.

Sorry, I should've read things more carefully. I hope my commenting here is still fine. That's also a bit of a rude way to speak about a region that's been TNP's historical ally.
Of course you can comment here. It is your proposal, after all.

Against, for reasons outlined above and the author's attitude exhibited in the NS forum thread.
I think my attitude has been as reasonable as it can be considering the treatment I've received.
Against
this is almost like IRL
(was it inspired by the IRL stuff)
The impetus for writing was RL events, however, this proposal does not seek to specifically address things like what are happening in RL. It seeks to establish extremely basic standards.

I think my attitude has been as reasonable as it can be considering the treatment I've received.

The impetus for writing was RL events, however, this proposal does not seek to specifically address things like what are happening in RL. It seeks to establish extremely basic standards.
I geuss
but i do think it is similar

Against. Below is the analysis I did on the NS Forums.

OOC:
The World Assembly,

Recognizing the importance of a police force in the prevention and detection of crime, as well as the maintenance of public order,

Shocked by cases of law enforcement officers abusing their authority to cause harm to those they have sworn to protect and serve, and

Determined to ensure that such incidents occur less frequently around the world,
So, for the record, I think that this is typically less of a problem then you may think it is. It's a noble goal, no doubt, and may very well deserve a resolution on the subject, but as it stands, this seems very harshly worded. I'd tone it down a little, but that's me being picky.

A lot of the rest of my critiques have already been addressed by you under the claim that "it's not the intention of the proposal" or similar, but if that is the case then this preamble is very misleading. I suggest you either change the preamble to more accurately reflect your intentions or change the operative clauses to more accurately reflect the preamble. Either way, something should really be changed here.

1c. a "body-worn camera" is defined as a wearable audio, video, or photographic recording device;
As mentioned previously, this is not a good definition. I'll try not to echo the countless "but you don't need to turn the cameras on!!!" (which I do feel to be a valid critique, but this thread is over-saturated with these responses), but even so, a camera that even has the ability to record video is not required due to the language of it.

1d. an "onboard camera" is defined as an audio, video, or photographic recording device affixable to a vehicle;
Same issue here.

1f. a "law enforcement officer (an LEO)" is defined as an employee of a police force—

• who has lawful authority to make arrests or apprehensions; and

• whose responsibilities are mainly engaging in or supervising the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, or protecting government officials against threats to personal safety.
Firstly, the quotations here are weird. "law enforcement officer (an LEO)" should be changed to "law enforcement officer" (LEO). As it stands, it implies that the full title is "law enforcement officer (an LEO)" instead of defining "law enforcement officer" and then adding LEO as an abbreviation.

I also don't see why you added a sublist here - it doesn't make much sense and would work better if it wasn't present.

I don't necessarily agree with the assertion that this is too broad of definition, though I do believe the last part ("or protecting government officials against threats to personal safety") doesn't exactly match the spirit of the rest of the proposal.

2. Member states shall provide a penalty for assault, battery, and homicide committed by LEOs in the line of duty within their national legal codes that is at least equivalent to that provided for the same offenses committed by civilians.

2a. Such a penalty shall not be enforced on any LEO who committed such an offense in self-defense, in the defense of another person or persons, or in the defense of their community at large.
This is unnecessarily clunky. I'd recommend condensing the subclause into the parent clause. Additionally, the phrasing of 2a ("Such a penalty shall not be enforced... self-defense...") mplies that action can not be taken against these officers no matter what, even if the force exhibited was unnecessarily large in proportion to the action that is being defended against.

2b. Any person convicted of such an offense shall not be permitted to serve as an LEO in a member state unless a mental health professional has concluded upon evaluation that they do not pose a danger to themselves or others.
Wholly unnecessary given clause three.

4. Member states shall require LEOs within their jurisdictions to undergo an annual evaluation by a mental health professional. Any LEO deemed to pose a danger to themselves or others shall no longer be authorized to carry deadly weapons until a mental health professional has concluded upon a subsequent evaluation that they no longer pose such a danger.
A few things with this one. First of all, while it is technically legal, there is no basis for what "annual" refers to here, given the vast array of planets which have nations which subscribe to the World Assembly - assuming it's the time that it takes for a planet to make a full loop around the sun, that is a wildly inconsistent standard and may lead to a bypass of this clause for some nations. It may also be incredibly burdensome for other nations still, if they have a rather short period of circumnavigation (that's not the word I'm looking for, but I can't think of the one I am). I'd recommend having a time period which is more consistent between all nations (but still refrains from giving exact numbers).

Next is the issue of "authorized to carry deadly weapons" - in many cases, deadly weapons aren't what leads to brutality. Assuming that this is inspired by the happenings in the US right now, that movement was actually spurred on by a case where the officer did not use a deadly weapon. Now, yes, there are likely far more cases involving use of a firearm or other, but that doesn't negate the fact that this doesn't address the broader problem. I'd suggest a ban on fieldwork, as opposed to a ban on deadly weapons.

5. Member states shall provide access to recourse against police forces and LEOs for civilians who are, or are family members of, victims of police misconduct within their national legal codes.
I don't see the point in this. It's preferable to just make a mandate to have officers charged in an efficient and effective manner. What can a nation do but bring justice around and give emotional support?

6. Member states shall provide police forces within their jurisdictions with body-worn cameras and require LEOs within their jurisdictions to equip body-worn cameras, and provide police forces within their jurisdictions with onboard cameras and require those forces to affix onboard cameras to any vehicles owned by said forces if such technologies are available to the member states.
Beyond the overly-stated critique with this proposal, there are a few other issues with this clause. First and foremost is that there is no specification of when the body-worn cameras should be worn, so the natural conclusion is that they should be worn at all times - which is not acceptable. This may very well be a minuscule issue, as next to no reasonable nations would employ this interpretation - but it is worth addressing, in my opinion. The easiest fix would be to change the definition of "Law Enforcement Officer" to specify that it is only on-duty employees of a police force. This would also treat off-duty LEOs as civilians, which is precisely what should be happening in my opinion.

Additionally, I'd get rid of the "if such technologies are available to the member states" portion of this clause. It's unnecessary - theoretically, if a member-state is unable to comply, penalties from the Compliance Commission will not be doled out, and the member-state will instead be granted to ability to comply (in this case, by having the technology sent to them).

You seem to think that just because something would (theoretically) work in the United States, that it would work for the world. This is, frankly, not the case, and would actually cause more harm than good to many real-life nations - not to mention the countless (well, I guess I could count them, and find out that there are 27865 of them) World Assembly nations. Obviously it won't be possible to accommodate every single one of these nations, but it should still be a goal to cover as many nations as one possibly can, while still maintaining the spirit of the proposal. As it stands, this clause panders to the minority of minority of nations, instead of the broader community of the World Assembly.

7. Member states, if domestic funding cannot be obtained, may apply to the WA General Fund as a source of the funding required to provide police forces within their jurisdictions with body-worn cameras and onboard cameras. Monies allocated to member states from the WA General Fund to fulfill these mandates shall only be appropriated for those purposes.
Get rid of this, it's a waste of the General Fund's resources.

8. Member states shall provide a penalty within their national legal codes for the destruction or discarding of any recording produced by a body-worn camera equipped by an LEO or an onboard camera affixed to a vehicle owned by a police force within their jurisdictions within less than one calendar year of its production or that is evidence in a criminal proceeding, and require police forces within their jurisdictions to maintain any recording produced by such cameras in good working condition and undamaged until it may be lawfully destroyed or discarded.
"provide a penalty" could be literally a slap on the wrist - and not metaphorically. You did the "provide a penalty" thing somewhat right ith clause 2 - be more like this there. Also, the same issue is here in regards to "one calendar year" as is with "annually."

9. Member states, where such political subdivisions exist, shall strongly encourage local police forces within their jurisdictions to make a good faith effort to hire a majority of their employees from within the communities those forces are policing, and strongly encourage police forces within their jurisdictions to adopt community outreach policies that focus on building trust with the communities those forces are policing.
The first part of this sounds unnecessary to me and the second part sounds like propaganda.

I'd be more inclined to support a minimum training protocol for law enforcement officers.

Also, this was a very short drafting period. Don't be upset with people for not reading and commenting on the proposal the instant you propose it - or even 11 days later. Sometimes, feedback comes late. Hell, I've actively campaigned against an at-vote proposal of mine because substantial flaws were pointed out and I didn't manage to read them in time to withdraw the proposal - you still have a bit of time. I echo the sentiment of others here to withdraw, though I do understand the struggle in wanting to keep it up. Ultimately, I know we won't convince you one way or another - but I feel that it was prevalent enough to need to be said. As it stands, I'd say there's like a 95% chance of this failing - and, in the case that it does pass, there will be a lot of repeal attempts. Not repeal attempts from incoherent authors that happen after every proposal, but attempts from serious authors. I understand that you don't do this merely for the passage of your proposal, which is commendable, but presumably the intention is to write good legislation - I believe that that's what most authors want to do. Unfortunately, at the present time, this is a very flawed proposal. Some proposals fail because they're generally unpopular, and not because they're flawed - I believe that they should be put forward regardless, because it's worthwhile to gauge the public's opinion. That's when failure shouldn't factor into this - it should factor into this right now because this is actual legislation that would likely be popular if the flaws are sorted out.

I understand a lot of what we call "flaws" you don't see that way because they don't adhere to your intentions in writing this proposal, but the fact of the matter is that these aspects of the proposal either are, in fact, flaws, or the preamble (and even the title, to an extent) are misleading.

Best of luck with your proposal. I'm looking forward to the continued drafting of it.

Against. Stop taking advantage of IRL stuff to try to pass subpar legislation.

Against. This proposes a weak solution to a huge problem.
Also, if my police have to wear body cams, then where is the dictatorship?

Against. Body cameras can be used to spy on citizens. Furthermore, lethal force is often required in cases with terrorism, serial killers, etc. Furthermore, this does not define murder by police well. Also, body cameras do not really solve anything.
Against. This proposes a weak solution to a huge problem.
Also, if my police have to wear body cams, then where is the dictatorship?
@Cretox State

Deputy Minister, I would like to point out that @Comfed has voted twice in this forum.
@Comfed friendly reminder that you can only vote once per proposal, and additional votes will not be counted. However, you can always offer additional comments by editing your original reply, or in a subsequent reply.

@Comfed friendly reminder that you can only vote once per proposal, and additional votes will not be counted. However, you can always offer additional comments by editing your original reply, or in a subsequent reply.
Whoops, I guess I did vote twice! My mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back