TNP Nation
Cretox State
Discord
Cretox#0125

ga.jpg

Repeal: "Military Identification Tag Act"
Category: Repeal | GA #490
Proposed by: Morover | Onsite Topic
General Assembly Resolution #490 “Military Identification Tag Act” (Category: International Security; Strength: Mild) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

The World Assembly,

Admiring the goal of GAR#490, Military Identification Tag Act, in trying to reunite lost soldiers with their families and to reduce the number of unknown soldiers,

Noting, however, that information such as that required by the resolution can be detrimental to member nations soldiers if it falls into the hands of an enemy belligerent,

Worried that some member nations which may add potentially compromising information such as religion to military identification tags in an attempt to ensure the proper burial of deceased soldiers when in conflict with good-faith and generally benevolent actors will not have the resources or general competence to redistribute the military identification tags to each soldier, should they come into conflict with more nefarious belligerents who may use this compromising information in order to employ somewhat creative forms of torture - a condition that ultimately detracts from the basic rights that the General Assembly attempts to uphold,

Dismaying that, as a result of section 7, combatants taken as prisoners of war cannot destroy their military identification tags to protect themselves from the creative forms of torture that may arise from these tags without violating international law, hindering the ability for soldiers to take their livelihood under their own discretion,

Considering the fact that section 8 lacks proper protocols for when a military identification tag is considered decommissioned, which, depending on interpretation, may disallow the repurposing of military identification tags by any entity,

Disheartened that section 8 neglects to allow the families or friends of fallen soldiers to repurpose former tags to whatever they see fit for closure - neglecting the impact that the loss of a loved one to war and the need to lessen that impact through a variety of channels, and

Believing that these issues only go to show that no one-size-fits-all legislation can cover the issue of military identification tags for all nations adequately, hereby

Repeals GAR#490, "Military Identification Tag Act."
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

Last edited:
"Military Identification Tag Act" is a flawed resolution that has several glaring issues, any one of which could justify a repeal on its own. One of the most pressing issues is that the resolution disallows the destruction of its mandatory ID tags by anyone, including soldiers to whom the tags have been issued. This means that soldiers cannot conceal their identity if they are taken as a prisoner-of-war without breaking international law, and, depending on the information put on a tag, may be unable to prevent torture that can result from the information on a tag.

Another significant issue is that the resolution gives no protocol for how military tags can be decommissioned - it doesn't even clarify that member nations could decide how to decommission tags. This is an oversight that can be interpreted as member nations being unable to decommission tags. These are just two of the more pressing issues with the target resolution, but there are others as well.

For these reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote For the at-vote proposal, "Repeal: Military Identification Tag Act."

Last edited:
In non-member-states?
Seems fairly obvious the solution to that would be not adding compromising information to the tags. Though I can see how information such as religion can be used against them, I don't know of any other forms of torture that can exist from solely knowing someone's name and blood type.

Given that the author has resubmitted with fairly minor edits, I'm bumping this thread and updating the OP with the new version of the proposal.

For.

I found the military ID number requirement in the MITA to be bothersome since it may be of detriment to the military institution. I would have supported the repeal much more enthusiastically if there was a clause highlighting that. Nevertheless, this repeal achieves my goals and I am willing to vote for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back